Head coach carousel 2024 edition

djp14150

21 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think the Raiders made the right call. Now it's up to the coach and players to proves he's "the guy".

Looks like he will be the ultimate players' coach. It will be interesting to see how hard they play for him. This feels like when Lebron brought in Tyrone Lue to Cleveland. 

Falcons appear to be interviewing quite a few including Brady..

Looking at their schedule for next week:

16 And the sons of Gad; Ziphion, and Haggi, Shuni, and Ezbon, Eri, and Arodi, and Areli.

17 And the sons of Asher; Jimnah, and Ishuah, and Isui, and Beriah, and Serah their sister: and the sons of Beriah; Heber, and Malchiel.

On 1/20/2024 at 3:07 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Wasn't Williams pitching the same horsedung about being in demand the season after the Jests canned him? 🤨

Yep. He sure was. And here he is, 4 years later and still unemployed…

I’m sure he’s had dozens of offers from NFL teams, just not the “right” offer. That’s why he took a job as a DC in the UFL (because, you know, that’s better than just accepting any old NFL job) 😂

Edited by BillsFan4

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yep. He sure was. And here he is, 4 years later and still unemployed…

I’m sure he’s had dozens of offers from NFL teams, just not the “right” offer. That’s why he took a job as a DC in the UFL (because, you know, that’s better than just accepting any old NFL job) 😂

Looking up the business end of a bread line will do that to ya. 🤔😁

Let's bump this puppy back up. I think that now that Harbaugh is off of the board, the hires will come fast. Here's my prediction:

1. Atlanta: Belichick
  2. Seattle: Dan Quinn
  3. Washington: Ben Johnson (some team is waiting on him and I think it's Washington)
  4. Carolina: No idea, but Raheem Morris makes some sense.

But then again, I had no idea that Tennessee would hire Callahan, an OC who has called exactly 0 plays in the league, so what do I know?

WELP, the Falcons have their new head coach, Raheem Morris. A defensive guy for a team who badly needs an offensive guy, and so far only the Panthers in the NFC South have an offensive guy as head coach.

GEuDe9dXkAAuEqS.jpg

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

Commanders interview list

• Ravens assistant head coach Anthony Weaver
  • Ravens DC Mike McDonald 
  • Bobby Slowik
  • Raheem Morris (new Falcons HC)
  • Eric Bienemy (stop laughing!)

Still to come: Aaron Glenn, Ben Johnson, Dan Quinn

Edited by stuvian

Harbaugh was the domino that needed to fall. Once he choose the Chargers, Atlanta moved to plan B. Plan A in Carolina was Morris, but they were forced to move to plan B. The rumors are that Washington will hire Ben Johnson as soon as the Lions season is over. Who knows what Seattle is doing. 

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

Commanders interview list

• Ravens assistant head coach Anthony Weaver
  • Ravens DC Mike McDonald 
  • Bobby Slowik
  • Raheem Morris (new Falcons HC)
  • Eric Bienemy (stop laughing!)

Still to come: Aaron Glenn, Ben Johnson, Dan Quinn

They’re waiting for Ben Johnson.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, stuvian said:

NY Post and Rossini. Quite the credibility combo. Plus there's no actual story here aside from Rossini conjecture that stretches even the unattributed vague-as-eff conversation anecdote. 

Also some really interesting reflections on Johnson in the Athletic as part of the Commanders search:

1. He doesn't interview well (there were whispers of this last year as well aloof and doesn't make an effort to connect with owners);  

2. Has the reputation of being a coach who prefers his office to engaging with people, better at the Xs and Os than the personal relationships with players;

3. As widely reported his agents demands are top of the market. 

Sounds like Washington was willing to overlook all that but there were whispers even within their search and Mike MacDonald was a live candidate there too. It's possibly the case that this stuff is just bound to come out after a messy end to the process from Johnson and his people, that stuff always gets frowned on by NFL folks and there will be a bit of a sense of league insiders wanting to make sure he feels it. But that is two years in a row the interview whispers have been out there and it does mean his approach is even higher risk than I imagined. If the Lions offense were to be even say middle of the pack next year does he still have the cache to overcome any perceived struggles in connecting with people? 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Also some really interesting reflections on Johnson in the Athletic as part of the Commanders search:

1. He doesn't interview well (there were whispers of this last year as well aloof and doesn't make an effort to connect with owners);  

2. Has the reputation of being a coach who prefers his office to engaging with people, better at the Xs and Os than the personal relationships with players;

Correct me if I'm wrong - didn't Kyle Shanahan have the same reputation when he was going through interviews?

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Correct me if I'm wrong - didn't Kyle Shanahan have the same reputation when he was going through interviews?

I know he interviewed here really badly as part of the Rex process. It lasted less than half an hour and the Pegulas hated him. I think he came across as arrogant. 

On 2/6/2024 at 2:42 AM, GunnerBill said:

3. As widely reported his agents demands are top of the market. 

Sounds like Washington was willing to overlook all that but there were whispers even within their search and Mike MacDonald was a live candidate there too. It's possibly the case that this stuff is just bound to come out after a messy end to the process from Johnson and his people, that stuff always gets frowned on by NFL folks and there will be a bit of a sense of league insiders wanting to make sure he feels it. But that is two years in a row the interview whispers have been out there and it does mean his approach is even higher risk than I imagined. If the Lions offense were to be even say middle of the pack next year does he still have the cache to overcome any perceived struggles in connecting with people? 

I'd take all these "reports" with a huge grain of salt.

Commanders fans I've seen are mostly convinced this is all just pettiness coming from Jason Wright, who was Snyder's right-hand man and still employed by the WFT. It may be frowned on by most NFL folks, but that Commanders office is a different world.

Johnson stiffed them on the hire. Waiting for Johnson caused them to lose out on MacDonald. Classic Washington response to just trash anyone and everyone.

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd take all these "reports" with a huge grain of salt.

Commanders fans I've seen are mostly convinced this is all just pettiness coming from Jason Wright, who was Snyder's right-hand man and still employed by the WFT. It may be frowned on by most NFL folks, but that Commanders office is a different world.

Johnson stiffed them on the hire. Waiting for Johnson caused them to lose out on MacDonald. Classic Washington response to just trash anyone and everyone.

Yea I refer to that in my comment. But the rumours about him as an interviewee were out there last year too. I don't think it will stop him getting hired.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.