*TNF * New York Jets @ Cleveland Browns - 8:15 Prime Video

DaBillsFanSince1973

Unless Rodgers comes in and wins MVP next season his contract is going to utterly wreck the Jets in years to come

In 2025 his contract is in its last year and has a $51 million cap hit. Usually when that happens and a player underperforms you can cut him...but when he took a discount this year the cap hit was pushed to 2026 and beyond.

Basically they have one year to win it all before they take a looooot of medicine 

6 hours ago, Malazan said:

Seriously, they have had a lot of miserable games on Thursday this season. At the start of the season, many of the games didn't seem like they'd be so awful.

The quality of play really varies on TNF, especially the late season matchups. The players have to dig deep & fight through the ailments they got on Sunday. 

Amari Cooper probably plays if it's a Sunday game, for example.

The NFL will never let it go, but TNF every week isn't a good idea.

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd add Shanahan in there despite the recency bias of the Ravens loss.  Those other five you mentioned had their quarterbacks from start to finish.  Stefanski's went through four different starters at QB.  I think that's an easy way for voters to differentiate him between all the other candidates.

Shanahan is 1-3 vs the AFC North. 49ers may not be as great as they are hyped to be.

I think Ryans in Houston may win coach of the year. They're 8-7, and the Texans only had 7 wins combined the previous 2 seasons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Jets made a splash move, what looked like a swing for the fences, but the house of cards crumbled quickly (at least for this season). They were the talk of the off-season. They were primed for a SB run, according to the sports media bobbleheads. Honestly, nothing about what they've done or "built" seems that impressive to me.

Garrett Wilson and Sauce Gardner were really good draft picks who looked promising. They have talent all over the place on defense. Then they went out and got a couple of Rodgers' guys too. But the OL? The OL was always gonna be a problem. Becton can't stay healthy, at all. The interior was always suspect outside of Vera-Tucker. They sign Dalvin Cook, who was coming off of a 1,400 total yd and 10 total TD season, and then NEVER used him. 

The coaching has been terrible. Hackett has no business near a clipboard. Saleh comes off as arrogant imo. To me, it seems like he's nothing more than some rah-rah type who wants to be buddies with all of his players. Being liked by the players is fine, but you still have to be the disciplinarian and the leader of those men. I don't see it with him.

The Jets will ride this Rodgers train until it jumps the tracks, even though they really should clean house in the FO and with the coaching staff. Douglas and the rest, but they won't. 

It's gone unnoticed but the Jets D has been bad this year.  They look like they have been figured out.  Their run d is easy to create holes against, and they constantly leave RB open. Teams also get whatever they want in middle of field.  Q Williams has looked like a shell of himself since getting paid.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

It's gone unnoticed but the Jets D has been bad this year.  They look like they have been figured out.  Their run d is easy to create holes against, and they constantly leave RB open. Teams also get whatever they want in middle of field.  Q Williams has looked like a shell of himself since getting paid.

They were 3rd in the nfl with the worst qb play in the league. That’s insanely impressive. 

In their defense they haven't gotten much help from the offense this year. But to your point they have looked bad the past month or so. The Bills torched them in Orchard Park. Both Miami games. The Commanders came back from 27-7 to take a 28-27 lead. Last night Flacco looked like Tom Brady as the Browns went up and down the field especially in the 1st half.

• Like (+1) 1

3rd in what way!?!  They consistently let in 30 points.  

Before the Browns game, they were 3rd in total yardage giving up less than 300 yards/ game.

and that is why points is misleading. They gave up a pick 6 last night. They are constantly put in bad spots by their offense - short fields, coming back on after 3 and outs. It is hard to not lose your edge when you have garbage at the qb position. I think they are finally starting to qb but it is still a really good defense hurt by bad qb/ oline play. 

also total waste of Hall and Wilson, who are studs.

5 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

It's gone unnoticed but the Jets D has been bad this year.........

3rd in what way!?!  They consistently let in 30 points.  

They went for 10 straight weeks to open the season without letting anybody score more than 30 on them. The Bills were the first team to do so.

They'd been extremely good until the last few weeks when it became time for guys to start mailing it in and focusing on protecting themselves.

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Unless Rodgers comes in and wins MVP next season his contract is going to utterly wreck the Jets in years to come

In 2025 his contract is in its last year and has a $51 million cap hit. Usually when that happens and a player underperforms you can cut him...but when he took a discount this year the cap hit was pushed to 2026 and beyond.

Basically they have one year to win it all before they take a looooot of medicine 

Even with that contract on their books they are waaaaaaaaaaay healthier than the Bills are cap wise moving forward.

58 minutes ago, Simon said:

They went for 10 straight weeks to open the season without letting anybody score more than 30 on them. The Bills were the first team to do so.

They'd been extremely good until the last few weeks when it became time for guys to start mailing it in and focusing on protecting themselves.

I think that's a pretty lame argument, honestly.  Teams started to run against them and really exploit their weakness.  Then the Jets will bring up the LB to stop the run, and then teams will hit the RB out the back field, or the TE in the middle.  Teams have been using this strategy for weeks now, and Jets have no answer.  Saleh is a poor coach who thinks he can just roll out the same strategy because they are just so much better than the other team.  Much like we seen with Dorsey.

In terms of your argument, teams like NE haven't mailed it in to protect themselves.

17 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I understand that they don’t have a QB and that seems to be the excuse, which is somewhat valid.

Although, you can look at some of the better coaches in the league when they haven’t had good QB play and they’re usually hovering around .500 during those seasons. 

Sean McDermott

Kyle Shanahan 

Sean McVay

Mike Tomlin 

Sean Payton

Personally I think Saleh runs his mouth a little too much. The “keeping receipts” and “we’ll be playing them for a playoff spot” or even “we’ve embarrassed QBs”. I think that stuff is fine to say in the locker room, but he’s constantly spewing it to the media. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

He has a $35M Void Year cap hit in 2026.

21 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

He has a $35M Void Year cap hit in 2026.

I believe that's what I said. When they restructured they most most of it into void years, the harshest of which is 2026.

Unless they want to extend him, the Jets will be paying $35 million to NOT have him on the team

15 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I believe that's what I said. When they restructured they most most of it into void years, the harshest of which is 2026.

Unless they want to extend him, the Jets will be paying $35 million to NOT have him on the team

I know, I was giving the dollar value.

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I think that's a pretty lame argument, honestly.

I'm sure you do.

I'm also sure you've never bled yourself out on a defense that is constantly being screwed by an incompetent offense.

Protect yourself time is a real thing, whether you are aware of it or not.

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd add Shanahan in there despite the recency bias of the Ravens loss.  Those other five you mentioned had their quarterbacks from start to finish.  Stefanski's went through four different starters at QB.  I think that's an easy way for voters to differentiate him between all the other candidates.

Logically, your statement makes a lot of sense, but last year I made the same case for Shanahan, who went from Lance to Garoppolo to rookie Mr Irrelevant Purdy and they gave it to Daboll.  So, with that in mind, while Stefanski looks like the obvious choice, to me, the obvious choice last year was beaten out by the NYC media darling, so it's hard for me to trust the voters' judgement.  They might just give it to Saleh for surviving the season with his job😃

7 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Great comparison, neither Rosen nor Wilson appeared to have the physical ability to be legitimate NFL QB’s. I don’t think there’s much to salvage with Wilson. They’re also similar in being two guys with questionable character. Rosen never had the right attitude to be successful in the pros, and I’m not sure Wilson does either. Wilson is getting better at saying the right things, but that doesn’t mean he actually thinks them. Wilson comes access as a dude with a bratty attitude, not a recipe for NFL success at the QB position. 

When Rosen with Atlanta, there was a story how he changed his attitude & was being mentored by Rich Gannon.  Sounds very similar to Wilson being mentored by Rodgers.  

LOL. Yeah, childish, but I like the restraint on the part of the hosts:

Story:

https://awfulannouncing.com/radio/cleveland-host-prank-calls-pittsburgh-station-browns-clinch-playoffs.html

"Cleveland radio host prank calls Pittsburgh station after Browns clinch playoff spot"

"That was apparent on Friday as one Cleveland radio host celebrated the Browns’ postseason-clinching victory over the New York Jets on Thursday Night Football by prank calling a Pittsburgh radio station to gloat.

As 93.7 The Fan’s The PM Team W/Poni & Mueller discussed the Steelers’ upcoming game against the Seattle Seahawks on Friday afternoon, the show took a call from a listener named “Jim in Ohio.” After thanking hosts Chris Mueller and Andrew Fillipponi “for the vine,” Jim proceeded to state that expected to enjoy Pittsburgh’s game against Seattle by “laughing my a** off” before posing a question to Fillipponi.

“Have you picked out a good place to watch the playoffs yet?” Jim asked.

After Fillipponi responded that he hadn’t and asked why Jim was the inquiring, the caller proceeded to remind him of a social media post that the host had sent to Browns cornerback Greg Newsome II in November.

“That’s what I’m reading, baby! That’s what I’m reading baby!” Jim said. “Turn it up! Loud and proud, Poni!”

It soon became clear to the hosts that “Jim” was actually 92.3 The Fan’s Ken Carman.

“You sound like a crappy store brand version of Ken Carman,” Fillipponi said.

“Buddy, this is the crappy, drunk, store brand version of Ken Carman. We’re still celebrating out here, baby boys!” Carman confirmed, before launching into a rendition of the Michael Stanley Band’s 1998 Browns anthem “Here We Go Again.”

At that point, all Fillipponi could do was ask Carman if the Browns would be playing “that devious creep” — presumably quarterback Deshaun Watson — in 2024, before one of the hosts curiously pointed out that Michael Stanley is dead."

The actual call:

I admit: I had to look up "vine". Also, still don't know what "rack me" means.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.