Why is it so hard for fans to admit reality?

oldmanfan

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I was at the game yesterday.  Coolest stadium I've seen.  Nothing pathetic at all.  

Can't find one negative about it.  

I was there too. It is a gorgeous stadium. I think we can agree that the Chargers' fan base was pathetic, though. Pretty embarrassing when the opposing team (from 2,500 miles away) has a louder fan base than the home team.

I also didn't much care for the way the Chargers' production team directs the game day experience. They try to go for this young, nightclub vibe, with Esther Anaya as their deejay, and all the very loud house music. Very different, I thought, from the Rams games at SoFi.

3 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Miserable fans: Bills got lucky to win that close game!

Same miserable fans: The Bills can’t win close games! 

Close games against good teams would be preferable, not letting a terrible team being quarterbacked by LA's next great real estate lead you with a minute to go.

9 minutes ago, klos63 said:

I was at the game yesterday.  Coolest stadium I've seen.  Nothing pathetic at all.  

Can't find one negative about it.  

Good to hear, looks like a nice place, I just mean the support or lack of support, which is completely understandable to me.

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The reality is we were lucky yesterday.  Josh was bad Josh until the last drive.  Cook had a pivotal fumble.  The defense let a guy with no experience in the league almost win the game for the Bolts.  The only guy that played really well was Oliver.  

Just admit they sucked yesterday and got lucky.  They won’t be that bad every game; I suspect they’ll squish the Fish like Josh always does.  But they sucked yesterday and have too many times this year against inferior competition and that’s why they’re in the position they’re in.

Twenty two men competing intellectually, emotionally and physically over sixty minutes in a constrained 57,600 square field with field with hundreds of yards of airspace overhead, weather, turf, pads, choreography, collision, impact, and weather environment produce 439,234,908,232,190 different potential outcomes.   Per play.  Add possible combinations of camera angles catching portions of the total, referees seeing portions and not seeing others.  Oh, and how cleats interact with artificial turf.

If you can discern whose luck exceeded whom’s, you have calculator more powerful than mine.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

Dear @oldmanfan reality is that we just did the following 

Philly away - OT loss/ tough stadium 

KC away - Win/tough stadium 

Dallas home - Win/lovely stadium 

LA away - Win/pathetic stadium 

yes LA was a bad game, but you can’t just toss out the 3 games before it.  Which you didn’t, but come on, this team is hot!

Yes, we played very well the two games prior but almost threw away any chance by the performance yesterday.

When I ask why more are not realistic this is what I’m getting to.  The Bills have been maddeningly inconsistent all year.  As great as Josh is his penchant for throwing picks  is an issue.  The defense plays great at times but folds too often late (recent trends are more positive there).

This team has the ability to run the table.  But I also wouldn’t be shocked if they lose to the Cheatriots.  

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Yes, we played very well the two games prior but almost threw away any chance by the performance yesterday.

When I ask why more are not realistic this is what I’m getting to.  The Bills have been maddeningly inconsistent all year.  As great as Josh is his penchant for throwing picks  is an issue.  The defense plays great at times but folds too often late (recent trends are more positive there).

This team has the ability to run the table.  But I also wouldn’t be shocked if they lose to the Cheatriots.  

Watch Jalen Hurts and Mahomes this year much?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

The reality is we were lucky yesterday.  Josh was bad Josh until the last drive.  Cook had a pivotal fumble.  The defense let a guy with no experience in the league almost win the game for the Bolts.  The only guy that played really well was Oliver.  

Just admit they sucked yesterday and got lucky.  They won’t be that bad every game; I suspect they’ll squish the Fish like Josh always does.  But they sucked yesterday and have too many times this year against inferior competition and that’s why they’re in the position they’re in.

:beer::beer::beer:

Luck or not. I don't care. That's the NFL at times. What I hate is that Buffalo plays heart attack games against lesser teams. 

maybe these teams play harder against Buffalo idk

maybe Buffalo really believes they don't have to try hard and then get themselves in trouble? I kind of doubt this. (But maybe a little))

whatever it is needs to be a concern of the coaching staff. Either game plan better for these teams or get your players mentally focused so they don't lose or almost lose  to the likes of the patriots, giants and jets.

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

This thread is why I hate many Bills fans.  Enjoy the win.  We’re in the playoffs for now.  What is this “reality” of which we’re all in denial about?  Why even create this thread?  Have a stiff eggnog and take a nap.

I’ll explain again.  It’s OK to be happy about the win, but to also acknowledge the team did not play well.  It’s OK to acknowledge all Bills fans love having Josh as our Qb but acknowledge his throwing picks so much is a bad thing.  And so on.  These are not mutually exclusive.  And that is reality.

We won, that’s great.  But we cannot expect to play like that again.  We were fortunate to win; the next effort like that and the season is done.

I don’t know why it’s hard for the doom and gloomers to admit that the Chargers game was not the cakewalk some expected for legitimate reasons involving the Chargers and not necessarily that the Bills played completely down to their competition?

1- The Chargers changed their coach, after an in season coaching change teams always get a bounce off of that.

2- The Chargers were embarrassed completely on national TV the previous week. Adding more motivation to come out and play hard.

3- The Chargers had a “mini bye” having 3 extra days off.

4- The Chargers were home and the Bills had to fly across country on a one day shorter game week. 

All 4 factors made this game a lot harder than many were expecting. And despite the -3 turnover ratio the Bills came up with a win and did so without putting too much pressure on the defense in the last drive (handed the ball over to the Chargers up 2 no timeouts and just 28 seconds left).

An Away game against an NFL team is never “easy” and yes had the Bills not turned the ball over 3 times they probably would have won by 2 scores at least. But fumbles are a bit of luck and the Bills didn’t get the bounces on that. It happens the Bills won and they did so by no means of luck or being bailed out by the refs.

• Thank you (+1) 4

It wasn't "lucky" at all.  They had to overcome a lot of bad fortune, calls were not in their favor, and a few major mistakes.  

All week I knew they were in danger of losing this game.  With the chargers' embarrassment and coaching change, also a mini bye for them.  Bills a short week with the cross country trip.  Had the makings of an ambush.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I’ll explain again.  It’s OK to be happy about the win, but to also acknowledge the team did not play well.  It’s OK to acknowledge all Bills fans love having Josh as our Qb but acknowledge his throwing picks so much is a bad thing.  And so on.  These are not mutually exclusive.  And that is reality.

We won, that’s great.  But we cannot expect to play like that again.  We were fortunate to win; the next effort like that and the season is done.

Well, then thanks for your laser sharp insight, captain obvious.  🙄 

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Congrats on the emoji grand slam there. Top work. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don’t know why it’s hard for the doom and gloomers to admit that the Chargers game was not the cakewalk some expected for legitimate reasons involving the Chargers and not necessarily that the Bills played completely down to their competition?

1- The Chargers changed their coach, after an in season coaching change teams always get a bounce off of that.

2- The Chargers were embarrassed completely on national TV the previous week. Adding more motivation to come out and play hard.

3- The Chargers had a “mini bye” having 3 extra days off.

4- The Chargers were home and the Bills had to fly across country on a one day shorter game week. 

All 4 factors made this game a lot harder than many were expecting. And despite the -3 turnover ratio the Bills came up with a win and did so without putting too much pressure on the defense in the last drive (handed the ball over to the Chargers up 2 no timeouts and just 28 seconds left).

An Away game against an NFL team is never “easy” and yes had the Bills not turned the ball over 3 times they probably would have won by 2 scores at least. But fumbles are a bit of luck and the Bills didn’t get the bounces on that. It happens the Bills won and they did so by no means of luck or being bailed out by the refs.

Very good

The reality is there were a lot of reasons to think this game would be closer than spread suggested 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

What does another QBs performance have to do with Allen’s?

Because you can’t sit here and criticize Josh’s play without comparing it to his contemporaries. As I have mentioned already to you but you still ignore is that every team lacks consistency. How is Josh playing compared to other QBs? How “lucky” have other teams been this year? Without those comparisons your argument lacks context 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Very good

The reality is there were a lot of reasons to think this game would be closer than spread suggested 

I said so in the pregame thread that I felt nervous about the game for those reasons. When the Bills were down 10-0 I felt like my suspicion was proving to be true. Of course back up 14-10 at the half I figured a “pull away” would occur but the Chargers hung tough and the Bills got the last drive they needed in the near exact amount of time they needed it to take up. This isn’t college football they just count the wins in the NFL.

We were so lucky yesterday to pulled out the W. This may be the my biggest Christmas Gift this year.  Good thing is, far as i remember, we never won a game when we have turnover ratio of -3.  Chargers scored 13 points off turnover.  We are resilient and did not panic when Cook fumbled the ball in 4Q with 7 minutes left.  Beside Oliver and Davis, Fournette looked good and our defense played pretty well.   Hope we learned our lesson from this game and finish the season strong.  Go BILLS.

Edited by kkim0904

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Whats the point of even turning on the tv to watch?

8 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Because you can’t sit here and criticize Josh’s play without comparing it to his contemporaries. As I have mentioned already to you but you still ignore is that every team lacks consistency. How is Josh playing compared to other QBs? How “lucky” have other teams been this year? Without those comparisons your argument lacks context 

Of course I can.  What an absurd statement to make.  Josh’s play is on Josh as is Mahomes’ on him annd so on. To suggest otherwise is similar to being the kid who gets caught stealing a cookie out of the cookie jar and saying:  Well Johnnie did it too.  

I think Josh is the most physically gifted QB in the league, one if the top 3 in the league.  But a legitimate criticism is he throws too many picks.  Why is that so difficult to accept?  

• Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Well, then thanks for your laser sharp insight, captain obvious.  🙄 

Well that’s reality.  If it’s so obvious why do so many have a problem with it?

6 minutes ago, zevo said:

Whats the point of even turning on the tv to watch?

Because I love the Bills and have for 63 years.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Of course I can.  What an absurd statement to make.  Josh’s play is on Josh as is Mahomes’ on him annd so on. To suggest otherwise is similar to being the kid who gets caught stealing a cookie out of the cookie jar and saying:  Well Johnnie did it too.  

I think Josh is the most physically gifted QB in the league, one if the top 3 in the league.  But a legitimate criticism is he throws too many picks.  Why is that so difficult to accept?  

I think the criticizing Josh for his interceptions is fine as long as it is put in context with the rest of his play.  The media was really raking Josh over the coals this year about his interceptions but they would only focus on the raw number, not in context of why they occurred, or how many TDs he had, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, BufBills83 said:

I think the criticizing Josh for his interceptions is fine as long as it is put in context with the rest of his play.  The media was really raking Josh over the coals this year about his interceptions but they would only focus on the raw number, not in context of why they occurred, or how many TDs he had, etc.

Fair point.  

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

So how many INTs is an acceptable number for Allen?

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Why do some fans think every game should be a cake walk? It’s part of football. They ***** themselves in the foot a few times and still came out with a win. Earlier in the year they lose that game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It’s not absurd at all! You keep saying they got lucky-so answer for me, so other teams get “lucky” or is it just the Bills? Or does it not matter because what one team does has no effect on another team-or whatever nonsensical argument you’re trying to make? 

What many have said and what I will say AGAIN (please finally read and understand this) claiming the Bills only won that game because of luck is disingenuous. They could have played better, sure, but the bottom line is they won the game. It wasn’t a lucky win, it was an ugly win-big difference that you’re not getting 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.