A Few Thoughts about the Cowboys Game, in no particular order

Virgil

59 minutes ago, Heathcliff said:

I guess you don’t realize Gabe (and Diggs) was blocking his DB out of the play every time Cook went around end. Did you not notice the DBs were not in on many tackles until several yards down field?

It is the reason why Gabe Davis has been one of the few skills players on offense getting 100% snaps.  He replaced Touchdown Jesus in that role.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

On point number 6. I definitely agree with Rapp. Dude scares me to include for our own players safety. 

Dodson being penalized was unfair I thought. Dak was still running and looked like he was about to cut inside. I mean he barely started the slide process and he was basically on top of Dodson. QBs, if they want to be protected, need to slide to allow an appropriate amount of space and human reaction time to the defender.  Same thing goes for QBs running out of bounds. 

To really cut down on the helmet-to-helmet, the NFL has taken the attitude "we don't care if it's intentional, we don't care if it's late, you hit helmet to helmet it's a penalty.  Wanna avoid a penalty?  Figure it out."

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

Micah parsons to me plays hard when he feels like it or when they are winning.  He is the prototypical Dallas player.  His effort sunday was not good imo and he has a podcast he does and he was calling out the media.  

I think there was something physically wrong with him on Sunday; you could see it early in the first series.

Minimal jump, zero power and sucking wind like 4 plays into the game.

He was either sick or playing hurt.

15 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

I was at the game and didn't notice Von out there, also don't see him in the stat sheets.  Did he play?  

He probably played more snaps than he has all year. He wasn't "horrible" but he wasn't very effective either. Pushed the pocket a couple times and might have flushed Dak once or twice but couldn't really finish anything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Funny. I said weeks ago that if the Bills could just find a way to make the playoffs that they could be one of the most dangerous teams in it. Some people rolled their emoji eyes at me. Now the media is all saying it. 

Did the Bills make the playoffs? Did i miss something?

17 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Well some have their eyes rolled back so far they cannot see and are as bad as the talking heads who will not give up campaign that Josh Allen will never be high end starter in NFL.

Are you OK? Making up stuff? 

Who on here has claimed " Josh Allen will never be high end starter in NFL." 

21 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Did the Bills make the playoffs? Did i miss something?

Yes, you missed where he said " if the Bills could just find a way to make the playoffs".

It was in his first sentence and was the primary point of the entire post so I can see how you might have missed it.

I am nothing if not helpful, so I'll leave this resource here in case you're interested:

https://www.usa.gov/learn-english

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Simon said:

I think there was something physically wrong with him on Sunday; you could see it early in the first series.

Minimal jump, zero power and sucking wind like 4 plays into the game.

He was either sick or playing hurt.

Apparently a bit of both.  He was listed before the game as Ill and limited on Wednesday before the game, and got rolled up on early in the game Sunday, and was seen in the tent for a couple of plays.

On 12/19/2023 at 2:20 AM, Virgil said:

To me, the issue was the defense.  Josh could score 40 and I wasn’t convinced we wouldn’t give up 41.  We blew so many games on the final drives, I believe it was a warranted concern.  

These last two weeks have felt different and if we play the same way the next three weeks, we can beat anyone 

Great to see you back writing this iconic post.

The Defense which looked fecless at times during the season acted like Dallas took their kid sisters lunch money and insulted their mom.  That was a mean defense, tackling through the player.  If this intensity can be continued, I feel bad for anyone we play.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

"The black Kirk Cousins is back" 😀

2 years ago, that was a burn on Dak. Now it's an unintended insult to Kirk. Dak WISHES he was Kirk Cousins.

17 hours ago, Beck Water said:

To really cut down on the helmet-to-helmet, the NFL has taken the attitude "we don't care if it's intentional, we don't care if it's late, you hit helmet to helmet it's a penalty.  Wanna avoid a penalty?  Figure it out."

And this fan is totally fine with that. Football can be an exciting, physical, hard-hitting game without the head shots.

On 12/19/2023 at 6:23 AM, ProcessTruster said:

and Rapp and Dodson, who are the anti-Hyde ,  Poyer, Rapp and Dodson; they are looking to hurt you, whereas Hyde / Milano avoid big hits.   

...Somewhere, Leonard Smith is smiling....  

Milano avoids big hits?!?

Tell that to all the QBs Milano has knocked out of games.

He's one of our biggest hitters when he's healthy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Milano avoids big hits?!?

Tell that to all the QBs Milano has knocked out of games.

He's one of our biggest hitters when he's healthy.

I'm a little puzzled by the "Hyde avoid big hits" too.  Both Milano and Hyde are clean tacklers.  They wrap up and drive with their legs, they don't come flying in head-first and turn their back - which can generate a super-hard hit, but also a spectacular whiff.  (I used to cuss Whitner for this)

That said I don't think the guys Hyde and Milano have hit think "wow, what a softy".   They both thump.

Maybe by "avoid big hits" the OP means "doesn't run full speed and launch like a missile", which I agree with

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/19/2023 at 8:06 AM, Solomon Grundy said:

If only Gabe Davis could become a contributor catching the football for this team. It would add another dynamic to the offense for Brady to utilize

Davis is what he is at this point. Better to roll the dice with Shakir and make Kincaid more of a focal point. 

On 12/19/2023 at 2:53 AM, VaMilBill said:

On point number 6. I definitely agree with Rapp. Dude scares me to include for our own players safety. 

Dodson being penalized was unfair I thought. Dak was still running and looked like he was about to cut inside. I mean he barely started the slide process and he was basically on top of Dodson. QBs, if they want to be protected, need to slide to allow an appropriate amount of space and human reaction time to the defender.  Same thing goes for QBs running out of bounds. 

Not sure I agree on the Dodson take, he could have pulled up. Instead he lead with his head and elbow above Dak's shoulder as he was going into his slide.

If it was Allen, I would want that call.

As to Rapp, I think you are spot on. He leaves his feet and leads with his helmet.

Those guys are just as likely to take out their own guys because they don't have good tackling form and control.

Edited by WideNine

Thanks Virgil!

one thing I haven’t seen many talk about this week has been the DL.  Ed, Floyd, Rousseau, Von and JP were monsters.  They stayed in their lanes and dominated.  

McD did a great job disguising the rush and bringing additional pressure. Dak had nowhere to go with the ball and that was thanks to a helluva game plan and effort. 

if we can continue to get this kind of production from our D, I really like our chances of winning the afc. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Thanks Virgil!

one thing I haven’t seen many talk about this week has been the DL.  Ed, Floyd, Rousseau, Von and JP were monsters.  They stayed in their lanes and dominated.  

McD did a great job disguising the rush and bringing additional pressure. Dak had nowhere to go with the ball and that was thanks to a helluva game plan and effort. 

if we can continue to get this kind of production from our D, I really like our chances of winning the afc. 

The one place I hope the Bills can avoid (assuming they make the playoffs) is Baltimore. I hope someone can knock them off. I would rather the Bills go to Arrowhead then Baltimore.

15 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Didn't notice that...but I did notice the BIG ZERO in the reception column😎

Yes several guys had 0 catches including Knox and Kincaid. It happens when you rush 49 times. But all of the receivers were blocking their butts off.  I’m ok with that given the end result. Is his how we attack the Patriots who love to play dime defense against us to stop our passing game?

42 minutes ago, Heathcliff said:

Yes several guys had 0 catches including Knox and Kincaid. It happens when you rush 49 times. But all of the receivers were blocking their butts off.  I’m ok with that given the end result. Is his how we attack the Patriots who love to play dime defense against us to stop our passing game?

On every end around they ran I saw our receivers working their tails off blocking.

Proud to root for our guys when they play unselfish for each other like that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

What I loved about Brady vs. Dorsey:

Dorsey would've followed what he considered the conventional wisdom. "Hey, we've got the running game working; time to use a little play action and let Josh take some shots down field."

What Brady and Josh did was more what Belichick used to do to us: "Their personnel is not equipped to stop the run; we'll double down on that until they show they can stop it." I remember those games where Belichick used a fullback and heavy set to do that to us, and to other teams. Tom Brady would get his 300 yards on some other Sunday.

A refreshing change. A blowout victory with < 100 passing yards. The old "they've shown they can win in different ways."

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

The one place I hope the Bills can avoid (assuming they make the playoffs) is Baltimore. I hope someone can knock them off. I would rather the Bills go to Arrowhead then Baltimore.

While the offense coordinator has changed L. Jackson is same QB with same weaknesses in game.  If Carrion Birds are not first round byes and we are not facing them second round of playoffs I have confidence they can make a plan which can stop him again.   Ravens have never beaten Bills in playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.