Ex-Jaguars employee pleads guilty to charges over team theft

Punching Bag

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39113686/ex-jaguars-employee-pleads-guilty-charges-team-theft

A former Jacksonville Jaguars financial employee faces a maximum of 30 years in prison and up to a $500,000 fine after he pleaded guilty Thursday in federal court to stealing more than $22 million from the NFL franchise over a four-year period.

The United States Attorney's office had claimed in a court filing that Patel -- who held various titles during his tenure with the Jaguars, including most recently manager, financial planning and analysis -- used his position as the sole overseer of the franchise's virtual credit card program to fund lavish personal purchases and cover up his theft.

According to the court filing, Patel is accused of stealing $22,221,454.40 and using some of that money for purchases that included a condominium in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, a Tesla Model 3 sedan, cryptocurrency, chartering private jets, luxury hotel stays, a country club membership and luxury wristwatches.

Wow.  He stole more than some players make.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Buried the costs in all those visits the team makes to 'merry olde England', and inflated the price of tarps for EverBank Stadium's seats. 🤨

Ahh, London….where they have been the road team since 2013. 

Thanks for nothing, NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Buried the costs in all those visits the team makes to 'merry olde England', and inflated the price of tarps for EverBank Stadium's seats. 🤨

I assume that they were hidden by baking the embezzling into the upkeep of the disgusting Jaguars' stadium pools.  

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Patel is accused of stealing $22,221,454.40 and using some of that money for purchases that included a condominium in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, a Tesla Model 3 sedan, cryptocurrency, chartering private jets, luxury hotel stays, a country club membership and luxury wristwatches.

I bet he got away with it for a while because the owners, players, coach are swimming in some of the same extravagance. 

58 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

upkeep of the disgusting Jaguars' stadium pools.  

First time I saw those pools, I thought "cool". A moment later--I thought--gross. Give me a fresh white snowstorm any day over rando drunk people's juices 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

My wife is an audit accountant, and the fact that this guy was able to get away with so much money before they caught him is just mind-boggling. Must have had ZERO internal accounting auditors, which again, is unreal when dealing with millions of dollars. 

Yeah I took some accounting in college and it's amazing they didn't have checks in place for this.  They might as well have the same guy keeping the books be the one that signs checks too.

A former Jacksonville Jaguars financial employee faces a maximum of 30 years in prison and up to a $500,000 fine after he pleaded guilty Thursday in federal court to stealing more than $22 million from the NFL franchise over a four-year period.

Patel was released on a $10,000 signature bond and was ordered to surrender his passport, undergo a mental health evaluation, avoid using alcohol or drugs unless prescribed, submit to drug testing, and not have any contact with any Jaguars employees unless his attorney was present.

The signature bond reminds me and the fine reminds me of the fines players get - the impact is not enough,

If I was that person I would find some way to get out of  the country, probably via a boat, and go to a country without agreement to return to US.

22 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

My wife is an audit accountant, and the fact that this guy was able to get away with so much money before they caught him is just mind-boggling. Must have had ZERO internal accounting auditors, which again, is unreal when dealing with millions of dollars. 

8 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah I took some accounting in college and it's amazing they didn't have checks in place for this.  They might as well have the same guy keeping the books be the one that signs checks too.

8 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

And do the bank recs

yes, the employee in charge of all this was a man named Amit Patel...

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

yes, the employee in charge of all this was a man named Amit Patel...

According to various sources, his position was "Manager, financial planning and analysis", so Im guessing there was definitely somebody higher than him in the organization, like a CFO or Controller. That person should definitely get canned for not being aware of what was going on. Talking with my wife, who has been in the business for 40 years, and is currently at a very high level as a Controller, she's amazed that no one inside the organization was aware.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.