You Tube ST issue today

Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

So I live live in NC, out of local market and subscribe to YTTV and ST.   The early game on local CBS channel was Cleveland-Jax game with plans for the Bills-Chiefs game to be broadcast following at 4:25.  Cleveland game didn't end until around 3:45 so if watching on local TV was carrying the end of that game and would have joined the Bills game in progress.  No issues there, that's typical of the way it works.  So instead went into YTTV and selected the Bills-Chiefs game.  But instead that was also showing the Cleveland-Jax game.  Had no way of watching the beginning of the Bills-Chiefs game.

Am I missing something here as that's not the way ST is supposed to work, I'm supposed to be able to watch any game of my choosing??

Wondering if anyone else had the same issue or was it something just going on in my local area.  This has never happened prior, regardless of what game was on local station, I could select and watch the Bills game.  I'm hoping this doesn't happen again next week when they play Dallas as that will again be a late game followed by an earlier game on Fox.

• Like (+1) 9

Yes I had the same issue and same question. I was livid, no idea why it was like that. Surprised they didn’t sneak in a little Heidi after the browns got finished with their kneel downs and handshakes and the 46 commercials while we missed the entire first qtr 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It is a corner case they should fix and it was always the same under DTV.    The Bills hardly ever played a 4:25 national window so you may have never seen it happen to a Bills game.   That is how the service works......the Bills game was NOT part of the sunday ticket....it was on your local TV.   Youtube is not authorized to broadcast the games on local TV.  Because the other game went long you were at the mercy of the network....that is where the ONLY option is a "stream".

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

same issue was stuck w Jags game so started off watching a bootleg stream  Kind of terrible to be paying for something and need to resort to that just to watch your team 

Yeah I did the same.  Haven't done that since last year, was afraid I might not remember how.  But was like riding a bike!

I quickly switched to a Reddit stream, so I was OK.

One thing I did notice though: I had the 4-games-at-once option on, with the sound on the Ravens game.

When 1 of the 4 games ended, they switched to the Ravens, so that game was on 2x. The local Fox feed was a play behind the ST feed, go figure.

2 minutes ago, Kincaid Kool-Aid said:

Same issue except I watched it directly on CBS network TV in Philly. So mad missing basically the first quarter abd our first TD. At the very least they should have done a split screen. CBS screwed the pooch.

You think it was CBS, not YTTV??

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

I quickly switched to a Reddit stream, so I was OK.

One thing I did notice though: I had the 4-games-at-once option on, with the sound on the Ravens game.

When 1 of the 4 games ended, they switched to the Ravens, so that game was on 2x. The local Fox feed was a play behind the ST feed, go figure.

I've seen that happen a number of times, which is fine, s little weird but nothing wrong.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

1 minute ago, Matt_In_NH said:

It is a corner case they should fix.  That is how the service works......the Bills game was NOT part of the sunday ticket....it was on your local TV.   Youtube is not authorized to broadcast the games on local TV.  Because the other game went long you were at the mercy of the network....that is where the ONLY option is a "stream".

there is an easy work around which DTV had for years. If you are paying for Sunday ticket and there is a blackout issue on the local channel (eg, prior local game going long or your local game getting cut because it is a blowout), then DTV would switch to have the game available on the Sunday ticket channel For that game. 

you can’t trigger a local blackout and then not show the game on any channel. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I've seen that happen a number of times, which is fine, s little weird but nothing wrong.

I would think if anything though, it would be the local feed ahead of the ST feed.

7 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

It is a corner case they should fix and it was always the same under DTV.    The Bills hardly ever played a 4:25 national window so you may have never seen it happen to a Bills game.   That is how the service works......the Bills game was NOT part of the sunday ticket....it was on your local TV.   Youtube is not authorized to broadcast the games on local TV.  Because the other game went long you were at the mercy of the network....that is where the ONLY option is a "stream".

So are you saying no one saw the bills game until the Browns game was over? Or did the bills and KC local markets switch over?

6 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

But the Bills game is on ST as are all games.  If I lived in Denver or LA the Denver-LA was on local TV so if I wanted ot watch the Bills game I stil lcould through ST. 

I get what you're saying, but the game was on ST.

• Agree 1

It's been a consistent issue with YouTube all year.  At the bare minimum, Directv Sunday ticket would allow the "local/blackout" game to be on the gamemix.

That said, I blame CBS for this mess.  You can't tell me that in 2023, that they couldn't put a multi view or small screen of Bills game in the corner.  Not to mention, Browns taking a knee and several commercials (which accounted for 5 min), until access to Bills game was played.

CBS should be embarrassed.  YTV Sunday ticket has had their glitch on local games all year, which they should at least fix in multi game view.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah. It was on local CBS in Philly not a streaming service and they just kept going with the Cleveland game. They didn’t even bother cutting over once the Browns were in victory formation and then even showed the handshakes instead of the Bills game. Infuriating.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

It's been a consistent issue with YouTube all year.  At the bare minimum, Directv Sunday ticket would allow the "local/blackout" game to be on the gamemix.

That said, I blame CBS for this mess.  You can't tell me that in 2023, that they couldn't put a multi view or small screen of Bills game in the corner.  Not to mention, Browns taking a knee and several commercials (which accounted for 5 min), until access to Bills game was played.

CBS should be embarrassed.  YTV Sunday ticket has had their glitch on local games all year, which they should at least fix in multi game view.

CBS might be a little to blame. But YouTube can easily get around it, just like DTV used to. It’s just amateur hour over at YouTube. They clearly weren’t ready for this. No understanding of how NFL broadcasting works.

10 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

But the Bills game is on ST as are all games.  If I lived in Denver or LA the Denver-LA was on local TV so if I wanted ot watch the Bills game I stil lcould through ST. 

I get what you're saying, but the game was on ST.

It was on ST or it was on Youtube TV?   The local markets have games and ST has other rest of the 1PM and 4PM window games that are leftover whatever that is in each market.  Generally that means you can watch whatever game you want.

btw I found a way to watch and what really sucked is they chose to broadcast the brown kneeling down which was during the Cook TD.

18 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

there is an easy work around which DTV had for years. If you are paying for Sunday ticket and there is a blackout issue on the local channel (eg, prior local game going long or your local game getting cut because it is a blowout), then DTV would switch to have the game available on the Sunday ticket channel For that game. 

you can’t trigger a local blackout and then not show the game on any channel. 

I think the local Buffalo and KC markets had it but a chump like me in the Bos market had to resort to other options.

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

CBS might be a little to blame. But YouTube can easily get around it, just like DTV used to. It’s just amateur hour over at YouTube. They clearly weren’t ready for this. No understanding of how NFL broadcasting works.

DirectTV NEVER let you watch a local/blackout game on Sunday ticket.

Only exception was the gamemix channel, which I mentioned YTV has botched all season.

So I don't necessarily blame YouTube.  I blame CBS, which is carrying the local broadcast and decided they couldn't put a split screen or at least small screen on Bills/Chiefs at end of Browns game.

CBS should be embarrassed in the year 2023.  Go back several decades and technology might not have allowed it.  Sunday ticket has AWAYS been clear that local broadcasts are blacked out 

1 minute ago, qwksilver said:

The ST is supposed to prevent out of market issues. This never happened with DTV.

Actually it did.  You could never watch a local/blackout game on Directv ST either.

Only exception was the gamemix channel.

CBS botched this, plain and simple.  It's easy to put a multiview or split screen feed.

• Agree 1

I have Direct TV and the Sunday ticket. Currently, Direct TV is not showing CBS due to a dispute and YouTube did not show the game at all since it was supposed to be on local TV. Luckily I had Amazon Prime, but missed most of the first quarter due to the Browns game.

Anyone know how to contact YouTube and complain?

Edited by Jerry Jabber

5 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

DirectTV NEVER let you watch a local/blackout game on Sunday ticket.

Only exception was the gamemix channel, which I mentioned YTV has botched all season.

So I don't necessarily blame YouTube.  I blame CBS, which is carrying the local broadcast and decided they couldn't put a split screen or at least small screen on Bills/Chiefs at end of Browns game.

CBS should be embarrassed in the year 2023.  Go back several decades and technology might not have allowed it.  Sunday ticket has AWAYS been clear that local broadcasts are blacked out 

on DTV, if a game is a local game (and blackout applies to Sunday ticket) and there was some delay in showing it, DTV would show it on the Sunday ticket channel Feed. I remember this happening on several occasions. One time was when this exact thing happened— the local 1 PM game went long. Another time was when the local game (a bills blowout loss) was a snoozer and CBS shifted to a different game late. You could then see the Bills game on the Sunday ticket channel. 

I don’t disagree with you that blackout restrictions apply. But I remember DTV being able to get around those when the  local channel wasn’t broadcasting the game it was supposed to. 

Blackout restrictions are dumb, but they can’t black out a game and then not show it on the local channel (or claim that that prevents you from seeing it on a Sunday ticket channel). 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So are you saying no one saw the bills game until the Browns game was over? Or did the bills and KC local markets switch over?

I'm guessing local markets switched by contractual obligation, but I had to pull up a pirate stream here in Western PA to see most of the 1st qrtr.

8 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

The ST is supposed to prevent out of market issues. This never happened with DTV.

Has this scenario ever come up for the bills?   The only way is the bills are in the national window at 4:25 window and the earlier games goes longer than 4:25.  That is not too common of an occurrence.  I cannot recall this ever happening where this scenario would have presented itself.  

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

on DTV, if a game is a local game (and blackout applies to Sunday ticket) and there was some delay in showing it, DTV would show it on the Sunday ticket channel Feed. I remember this happening on several occasions. One time was when this exact thing happened— the local 1 PM game went long. Another time was when the local game (a bills blowout loss) was a snoozer and CBS shifted to a different game late. You could then see the Bills game on the Sunday ticket channel. 

I don’t disagree with you that blackout restrictions apply. But I remember DTV being able to get around those when the  local channel wasn’t broadcasting the game it was supposed to. 

Blackout restrictions are dumb, but they can’t black out a game and then not show it on the local channel (or claim that that prevents you from seeing it on a Sunday ticket channel). 

Im 100% sure you are incorrect, with how Directv handled this.  I've had it for 20+ years previously and It was only the gamemix that allowed blackout feeds to be viewed.  

Regardless, I'm in agreement with you on blackout rules.  Alot of out of towner Bills fans (I'm in Pitt too), were robbed out of 1/8-1/4 of a game today.  In the future, NFL and broadcasts need to figure that out 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

I was watching in the SF Bay Area. I assumed because it was the national game that it would not be available on YouTube TV/Sunday Ticket.

I went to Hulu to watch the CBS feed (local affiliate KPIX). Buf-KC was listed but they stayed with the Jax-Cle game. I went over to YouTube TV/Sunday Ticket and they had Buf-KC listed stand alone and as part of their 4 game multi-view. In both instances the feed was Jax-Cle. I was not able to watch the Bills game.

It ended up that I had to wait until after Jax-Cle was over. This meant I had to endure Jacksonville's statistically remote attempt at coming back from 2 scores down. I had to watch the Cleveland victory formation. Finally the game ended and after a LONG commercial break joined the Buf-KC with just 3 minutes left in the first quarter. I missed the Epenesa INT and the Cook TD. Interestingly the game was available on Sunday Ticket even though it was on local broadcast TV.

12 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Im 100% sure you are incorrect, with how Directv handled this.  I've had it for 20+ years previously and It was only the gamemix that allowed blackout feeds to be viewed.  

Regardless, I'm in agreement with you on blackout rules.  Alot of out of towner Bills fans (I'm in Pitt too), were robbed out of 1/8-1/4 of a game today.  In the future, NFL and broadcasts need to figure that out 

So, YouTube claimed they did what I said they needed to do— open the Sunday ticket feed. Except they didn’t:

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I live in Watertown, NY and our local CBS did not switch over until after the Browns game ended.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.