Can Rasul Douglas handle Kelce?

Simon

Kelce most times is not the first option, he seems to float-delay-read-react to find the open space in the zone cleared by the other route runners with more speed..how do you defend.. key plays during the 13 seconds fiasco were exactly done this way...and we keep seeing due to Mcd; achiiles heel of dont get beat with the quick-deep strike where safeties play in the next area code 

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

They’re probably gonna throw a lot of different looks at Kelce

Teams that do a good job on Kelce often play him with coverage that is leveraged to force his option routes to the middle of the field, where a second defender collapses coverage on him from the inside.  Unfortunately, this leaves the defense vulnerable to slant patterns coming from the side opposite Kelce.  Tyreek Hill racked up a ton of YAC against this coverage.  Lucky for everyone, Hill is no longer there.

double, triple team Kelce, force Mahomes to find secondary targets. Pacheco is out so their run game will be worse too. If u take away Pat's 1st read, by the time he finds someone open, hopefully the pass rush has reached him.

On offense, if we play mistake free football (as best as possible) and limit our turnovers & negative plays, we SHOULD win this game np.

The blueprint to beat KC is to take out Kelce. Lets hope we gameplan to do just that. If we dont, fire the DC.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, stevestojan said:

It’s always shocking to me that every single chiefs game I’ve ever watched that he’s played in, at some point I’ve said “how did he get that wide open?” at least thrice.  I’m starting to think all the coaches in the NFL have tried everything and he might actually just be that good. Like GOAT good. 

That said, the only option is to double up on him. But you can’t do that every play and expect to get a ton of pressure on Mahomes and/or leave a spy. 

In short, I have no ***** clue. Thanks for attending my Ted Talk. 

He’s very good at pushing off with out it looking like a blatant push off. Does it with his elbow a lot.

16 hours ago, Simon said:

You will not be dragging your McDermott crusade into this thread.

Thank you for trying to provide at least one safe haven. Some people are just eating (and stirring) this stuff up, and they seem to be in their glory. 

I’m very interested to see how Douglas is used and what kind of success he might have. He seems like quite a find for a 3rd round pick, but then again, that was quite a splash in his first game. I wish that could be routine, and while I’m at it I might look into some Lotto tickets. 

Watching lots of non Bills games over the last week I have to conclude that zone defense especially in the 4th quarter in a close game is one of the stupidest strategies in football. I saw many completions last week (even in the SF game ) that the defenses simply let receivers just run past them and into the next area to be wide open for an easy catch while they were distracted by another receiver. If the QB has time to throw, this approach is insanity. But this is the approach that our defensive guru HC sticks to in most of these situations except maybe on the deep patterns. And on those patterns our DB's are often way off the ball, late to get there and either cannot break up the play or get a DPI penalty because they are not looking at the ball. I'd love to believe that McD learns from his mistakes but this season has repeatedly shown us otherwise. Kelce needs to be jammed at the line and smothered in coverage because Mahomes always has time to throw.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, brianthomas said:

On offense, if we play mistake free football (as best as possible) and limit our turnovers & negative plays, we SHOULD win this game np.

The blueprint to beat KC is to take out Kelce. Lets hope we gameplan to do just that. If we dont, fire the DC.

wait, that’s…

… Oh I see what you did there ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, brianthomas said:

double, triple team Kelce, force Mahomes to find secondary targets. Pacheco is out so their run game will be worse too. If u take away Pat's 1st read, by the time he finds someone open, hopefully the pass rush has reached him.

Kelce’s had nagging injuries with a bone bruise, bad ankle at times, etc.  I don’t want jinx it, but feel good about this game.  The Cowboys game will be much harder.  I’d feel a lot better about the playoffs at 11-6, than 10-7.  1 game at a time though.

6 hours ago, TN Bills Fan said:

No.  Douglas is not a physical player.  At times he hesitates on contact.  Watch him on the last play of Eagles game.  He hesitated on tackles 2 other times in that game.  No one covers Kelce.  Zone and limit his big plays.

He went for the flag football tackle on that last play vs Hurts.

I guess the only game I’m wondering about is caparable was last years - and the only thing I remember happening was that dumb mix up by edmunds on the long TD by JuJu - right?

kelce didn’t break our back all that much this game - I don’t remember really but the other guys they had tyrek and he always killed us with Mahomes and Kelce 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.