Can Rasul Douglas handle Kelce?

Simon

As long as the Bills continue to play McDermott's soft shell zone, he will find huge cavities.  It won't matter the size or speed of the db.  For years I thought Tremaine with his size & speed would be the perfect guy to man up Kelce.  But Sean had other scheme formations that did little to stop him.  At least Travis seems to be slowing down a little. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

Situationally maybe. 

If he’s out wide at #1 then yes. I just don’t see a scenario where he’d follow him to the slot/H. 

I think it’ll be more effective to try and get disruptive off of the LOS with DEs and LBs, as I’m anticipating a lot of zone looks with minimal pressures. 

• Agree 5

Kelce this year isn’t the same guy we’ve watched in the past.  He’s still a threat and the D needs to know where he is all of the time.  Could Douglas keep him in check?  I think he could.  Will McD change his defense from zone to a man/zone combo?  I don’t think so.  I just hope they press the receivers at the line to throw off their timing a little bit.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Press at the LOS?...well common sense would say yes but that's not Seany's bag.

You will not be dragging your McDermott crusade into this thread.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, Simon said:

He's got quite a size/speed ratio and has been sort of impressive with how much power he can play with while he's on the move.

Can the Bills sic 'em on Travis Kelce?

I feel that they had a pretty good plan on Kelce the last time they played in KC.  They beat him up on the line with Siran Neal.  My guess is they play some sort of variation of that so I guess Douglas could fit that role 

It’s always shocking to me that every single chiefs game I’ve ever watched that he’s played in, at some point I’ve said “how did he get that wide open?” at least thrice.  I’m starting to think all the coaches in the NFL have tried everything and he might actually just be that good. Like GOAT good. 

That said, the only option is to double up on him. But you can’t do that every play and expect to get a ton of pressure on Mahomes and/or leave a spy. 

In short, I have no ***** clue. Thanks for attending my Ted Talk. 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, f0neguy said:

Kelce this year isn’t the same guy we’ve watched in the past.  He’s still a threat and the D needs to know where he is all of the time.  Could Douglas keep him in check?  I think he could.  Will McD change his defense from zone to a man/zone combo?  I don’t think so.  I just hope they press the receivers at the line to throw off their timing a little bit.

I don't think Kelce alone can beat you. In fact, id be willing to let him be the only option for Kelce and lock down everything else then beat the ***** out of old man Kelce every touch her gets. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

then beat the ***** out of old man Kelce every touch her gets. 

I absolutely want to see somebody ripping, tearing, jabbing him most downs and dropping knees and shoulders on him at every opportunity.

Douglas could be a good candidate for that role and with extra time this week to draw it up and run through it, there's some potential there.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Kelce this year has looked really slow compared to previous seasons.  This is actually good for us because he has always been a problem for our D.  I just don't see him with more than 5 catches in this game,  unless Mahomes really has lost all faith in his WR1 & WR2 dropping more passes in this game and  forces the balls into Kelce.

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

As long as the Bills continue to play McDermott's soft shell zone, he will find huge cavities.  It won't matter the size or speed of the db.  For years I thought Tremaine with his size & speed would be the perfect guy to man up Kelce.  But Sean had other scheme formations that did little to stop him.  At least Travis seems to be slowing down a little. 

To be fair to Derm, Edmunds sucks.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.