Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Both utterly bizarre, but landing on it intentionally is beyond the pale. Of the countless number of examples of teamwork he could have cited, to choose the perpetrators of the single greatest attack on our soil in history is unacceptable on every level. He’s a bigger idiot than I thought he was.

In McD's defense, a bunch of regular guys with 5th grade educations coming together to change the world is pretty inspiring as long as you leave out the part about human atrocity and that the perpetrators were motivated by promises of losing their V-cards in the afterlife.  

• Haha (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Let's see how much defending their coach the current group of players does.  Will be fascinating.

Just had this thought as well. It will be interesting. This would be a moment where if I agreed with it "no comment". If I didn't, I would be adamant. 

• Like (+1) 2

As much as I want McDermott gone at the end of this season, and i do want him gone.  You can probably do an expose on 25 other coaches who have lead a team for 5+ seasons and find a lot of douchey things that they do or have done behind the scenes .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

a couple of additional thoughts:

1.  I bet Bills PR really regrets not credentialing Ty Dunne. 

2.  Ike McKenzie did a lil’ dirty on Mc D today.  Wow. 

3.  This is a far bigger PR catastrophe than the Doug Whaley presser.  It may follow McD forever. 

• Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

No part of what McDermott said or any the criticism levied against him touches on a single issue pertinent to economic, social, or political equality.  Said differently, all criticism of McDermott has nothing to do with social justice.  No is calling for McD to apologize to Al Qaeda or a marginalized segment of the population.  All criticism surrounds his ability to communicate with his players as highlighted by these speeches McD delivered which were considered anything but motivating according to those interviewed. 

Your turn.  Tell me how anything contained in this thread is at all relevant to issues of social justice. 

Wow.. you win! are you a College Prof?   very "well informed"

Have little to no respect for anyone who took part in this piece.      In my opinion they are weak willed selfish cowards. 

Ty Dunne doesn't get credentials because he specializes in muckracking.  How he is amazed at this fact while doing a podcast with Whaley and Monos that was specifically directed at bringing up dirt on the Bills shows you what kind of special sort of stupid he is.

McDermott has had his issues here but Buffalo fans seem to find a way to make it personal with any head coach who comes here.  If you have personal, literal personal hard feelings towards McDermott, you need to get professional help.

It's fine if you want to go in on a guy for his business decisions but this thing took it way too far.  They attacked the guys being.   

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I wonder if McClappy is still planning on giving his motivational speech invoking Hamas' "teamwork" before the KC game.

P.S. Some here have tried to defend McClappy etc. by claiming that TD's article was a "hit" piece and confirmation bias. In actuality, the article confirms that McClappy is a fraud and will throw anyone under the bus to deflect from his own inadequacies notwithstanding all his talk about "culture"  and accountability" etc.  The Chad Hall story is so telling.

McD  seems to have a Napoleonic complex but without having won Austerlitz while at the same time blaming everyone else for having to retreat from Russia and losing at Waterloo.

• Like (+1) 1

Left the office around 5 PM down here on Long Island, flipped on sports radio and all they were talking about was McD. Someone was incredulous that he coached at MetLife on 9/11.   Has it come out when the comments were made? I was following this thread earlier today but haven't seen that.

On a separate note, Sean owned up to the comments so I guess he has some level of accountability, lol.

EDIT: just saw elsewhere that it was 2019 training camp

Edited by SinceThe70s

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

OK, so let's drill down here.  You're saying that you don't trust that he's telling the truth then?  

Spill it, what, exactly, are you saying about his sources?  They don't exist?  They're lying?  

You're word salad here is without direction.  

Just step out and say it.  We're all family here.  LOL  

The thing is a lot of people genuinely believe that journalists and writers simply make things up. People have no clue about confidentiality and protecting sources. They feel that unless it’s a statement by somebody, then it might just be completely imaginary. 

That’s not how these things work. Fabrications and lies get exposed, and then that individuals career is over as a journalist. There’s no coming back from that. I’ll be surprised if anyone comes out and straight up says “that isn’t true” about any part of this article. 

Everything mentioned in this story is likely true, although we also likely lack the full context in which it all exists. That can be said for most all news stories considering we aren’t the people actually there experiencing these things. 

Simply put, he’s not making this stuff up. It’s legit. This is a serious test for both McDermott’s leadership and for this team. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I don’t think Ty Dunne is as respected as you think he is.

I'm not sure why you say these things when you're not actually sure. Dunne is extremely well respected.

He was a National NFL Writer for Bleacher Report for nearly half a decade, a Packers reporter, and a Bills reporter. His writing has been sourced by the NY Times, Yahoo, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, etc. 

He also has an amazing number of sources. His articles from the past month include one-on-one interviews with Bengals Pro Bowl  LT Orlando Brown, Broncos starting S Bell, the QB coach for Jake Browning, Texans WR Robert Woods, etc.

He is in the top tier of writers.

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Two things can be both true and not mutually exclusive:

1.) This is a hatchet job

2.) Things in this article are accurate.

He admitted to the 9/11 thing and apologized for it publicly. While it was a tough position to be in, as denying it with players in house knowing it happened - would make him look really bad to the locker room.

However, admitting it as he has, will become a media firestorm that will forever tarnish his reputation. While I don't necessarily expect it, confirming that it happened could lead to his immediate dismissal.

The optics on it are that bad. It's already the front page cover of ProFootballTalk and will surely be a lead in of every major talk show tomorrow. And there will be many calling for his head.

Just another example of him unraveling a foot of the proverbial rope that he's gathered to hang himself with. 

Add everything up, game day related stuff, team stuff, Von Miller, 9/11 thing, etc. etc., it's simply befuddling.  

Just now, SinceThe70s said:

Left the office around 5 PM down here on Long Island, flipped on sports radio and all they were talking about was McD. Someone was incredulous that he coached at MetLife on 9/11.   Has it come out when the comments were made? I was following this thread earlier today but haven't seen that.

On a separate note, Sean owned up to the comments so I guess he has some level of accountability, lol.

"I brought everybody together and said this was the goal, this was the intent, and I apologize if anyone whatsoever felt a certain type of way coming out of that meeting," McDermott said. "If anyone misinterpreted or didn't understand my message, I apologize. I didn't do a good enough job of communicating clearly the intent of my message. That was about the importance of communication and that everyone needs to be on the same page, ironically enough. So that was important to me then and still is now......13 seconds was also my fault"

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

a couple of additional thoughts:

1.  I bet Bills PR really regrets not credentialing Ty Dunne. 

2.  Ike McKenzie did a lil’ dirty on Mc D today.  Wow. 

3.  This is a far bigger PR catastrophe than the Doug Whaley presser.  It may follow McD forever. 

It's never-ending, that's part of the problem.  

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I bet Bills PR really regrets not credentialing Ty Dunne.

Why do people think Dunne asked for credentials? He is a National NFL writer. Why would he ask for a Bills credential?

I don't think Adam Schefter has a Bills credential either...

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I'm not sure why you say these things when you're not actually sure. Dunne is extremely well respected.

He was a National NFL Writer for Bleacher Report for nearly half a decade, a Packers reporter, and a Bills reporter. His writing has been sourced by the NY Times, Yahoo, Sports Illustrated, ESPN, etc. 

He also has an amazing number of sources. His articles from the past month include one-on-one interviews with Bengals Pro Bowl  LT Orlando Brown, Broncos starting S Bell, the QB coach for Jake Browning, Texans WR Robert Woods, etc.

He's a guy who befriends fired front office people and cut players to get their emotionally charged opinions about their former employers for his own gain.  He is a hack.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Tyler Dunne is an ***hole.  This is a garbage made up hit piece by someone bored on a bye week.  He should take his talents to The NY Times. 

Who could believe a guy who used 9/11 to preach good communication could have 12 men on the field for a FG or a squib call not get to kicker. The whole article has to be wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He does. The article was based on the interviews of 25 players/coaches.

He literally did not say that. Once again, why does everyone else have to do the work for you? Why are you a leech and refuse to do your own work?

This three-part series is the culmination of extended interviews with 25 coaches, players, personnel men and other team sources who’ve passed through One Bills Drive. Many were granted anonymity to speak freely without the fear of retribution.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I 100% thought you were joking until I got to the end. 

Just now, Einstein said:

Why do people think Dunne asked for credentials? He is a National NFL writer. Why would he ask for a Bills credential?

I don't think Adam Schefter has a Bills credential either...

He did, and he was denied.  Which means the bills had no measure of control over him.  Which means he can publish stuff like he did today.  

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Let's see how much defending their coach the current group of players does.  Will be fascinating.

This will be a simple but very revealing indication of the current team's feelings for their coach. I too will be fascinated to see what is said and with what kind of emotion.

1 minute ago, Malazan said:

He literally did not say that. Once again, why does everyone else have to do the work for you? Why are you a leech and refuse to do your own work?

Ahh, you're playing the semantic game. 

Ok, ill rephrase.

The fact that he could find 25 coaches, players, personnel men and other team sources that were willing to say such damning things about a coach who has only been a head coach for 6 years... that speaks volumes by itself.

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This is getting sad and putting the players in a terrible position. I think Terry should step in right now and fire McD. Each day this is going to get worse. 

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Ahh, you're playing the semantic game. 

Ok, ill rephrase.

The fact that he could find 25 coaches, players, personnel men and other team sources that were willing to say such damning things about a coach who has only been a head coach for 6 years... that speaks volumes by itself.

In addition, if this article is such a grave injustice we should hear about it

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.