Which WR prospect will the Bengals screw us out of?

DrDawkinstein

The Bills need to draft a WR.

The Bengals are about to lose Tee Higgins, and once again find themselves without Burrow and likely with another Top 10 pick.

As of today, the Bills are at #17 and the Bengals #12. I expect the Bills to end up around #15 and Bengals around #10.

Neither team will have a chance at Marvin Harrison Jr. He'll be a top 5 pick, hopefully not to New England. I imagine Odunze will be off the board before either of us pick as well. Although Odunze is close to a Higgins clone and Bengals might end up pretty high if they likely lose out.

Looking at Draftek's list (just to get a list), who do we like?

0C4k0xm.png

I could see Cincy going back to the LSU well and grabbing Nabers, which would leave Coleman or Egbuka depending on who drafts between us.

Or do we go CB then get one of the 2nd round WRs? Anyone there to get excited about?

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

Odunze wouldn’t be a bad shout. Doubt he goes out of the top 15 though. Likely we draft an OLineman, maybe Tackle, or a DB 

I think our 1st pick will be CB.

I also think the fans have a much larger demand for RT than our FO. The OL is playing the best we've seen in years, maybe decades. No need to spend a 1st there when we have bigger holes elsewhere.

I could see New England, Arizona, Green Bay, Jets, and Broncos all possibly taking a WR if their guy is there, so agree Odunze isnt falling to us either. So who we got?

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, todd said:

My guess? Class is deep, we won't pick a WR in round one unless one of the top 3 fall. We'll go interior DL if there's one graded there. After that, BPA.

I could see that. But that early, we are drafting another 3-tech instead of 1-tech where we have a hole.

1-techs can usually be found in the 2nd round or later. Maybe WR/DT in rounds 1/2, then DBs the rest of the way. Our FO has an easier time finding late round DBs than 1st rounders so that works for me.

For a deep class, any of those later WRs you like?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Outside the box thought here. Restructure what they need to and sign Tee Higgins. Then draft one in round 2 or 3. Then we have a 1A WR in case anything happens with Diggs, we have a young pup coming up and Shakir/Kincaid as weapons as well. 

Tee Higgins is going to be offered silly money, even after being banged up all season. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think our 1st pick will be CB.

I also think the fans have a much larger demand for RT than our FO. The OL is playing the best we've seen in years, maybe decades. No need to spend a 1st there when we have bigger holes elsewhere.

I could see New England, Arizona, Green Bay, Jets, and Broncos all possibly taking a WR if their guy is there, so agree Odunze isnt falling to us either. So who we got?

WR makes way too much sense, Gabe is either gone or here cheaply the way he's playing, we need a WR2 who can eventually fill the roll of WR1 as Diggs ages out. For all the shade people give about defensive picks last draft we took a TE 1st round and a guard in the 2nd. We're not allergic to making offensive picks.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The Bengals are about to lose Tee Higgins, and once again find themselves without Burrow and likely with another Top 10 pick.

As of today, the Bills are at #17 and the Bengals #12. I expect the Bills to end up around #15 and Bengals around #10.

Neither team will have a chance at Marvin Harrison Jr. He'll be a top 5 pick, hopefully not to New England. I imagine Odunze will be off the board before either of us pick as well. Although Odunze is close to a Higgins clone and Bengals might end up pretty high if they likely lose out.

0C4k0xm.png

I could see Cincy going back to the LSU well and grabbing Nabers, which would leave Coleman or Egbuka depending on who drafts between us.

Or do we go CB then get one of the 2nd round WRs? Anyone there to get excited about?

I’d be stoked with Nabers or Coleman.

Both studs.

we have zero shot for MHJ.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yup. He will. And with restructuring and possible realistic cap cuts the Bills have a TON of flexibility to be the team to offer it.

We're going to have to cut Poyer, White, Morse, Harty and others just to get even on cap.

We arent dropping $25M+/yr on another WR.

Even with all of Beane's magic.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yup. He will. And with restructuring and possible realistic cap cuts the Bills have a TON of flexibility to be the team to offer it.

It's possible but I can't see the Bills investing that much into WR while McDermott is still the head coach.  Not enough left for McD's defense to get walked all over whenever it matters. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 picks - likely expect bargain shopping in FA.  I probably wouldn't go 1st round playmaker with my very highly paid QB tbh - he needs to make the rest better because he costs like 25% of the cap.  Not saying ignore it entirely, but the defense needs people to rush the passer, and it needs to get younger in the back end.  

Offense:

QB - Allen, ????

RB - Cook, ????, ????

WR - Diggs, ????, Shakir, ????, Shorter

TE - Knox, Kincaid, Morris

T - Dawkins, Brown, Van Demark, Doyle

G - McGovern, Torrence, Anderson

C - Bates, ???? (I assume Morse is let go for cap reasons)

Defense:

DE - Von, Groot, ????, Jonathan

3T - Oliver, ????

1T - ????, ????

LB - Milano, Bernard, Williams, Spector

CB - Douglas, Benford, Elam, ???? (expecting to move on from White)

NB - Johnson, ???? (expecting to move on from neal)

S - Poyer, ????, Hamlin, ????

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No other team is going to “screw us” - Beane can screw himself by not aggressively addressing the offense yet again.  If there’s a receiver worth drafting near their pick, go get him.  Enough already.

They literally did this last year.  They drafted a pass catcher in the first, and went and got him.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

10 picks - likely expect bargain shopping in FA.  I probably wouldn't go 1st round playmaker with my very highly paid QB tbh - he needs to make the rest better because he costs like 25% of the cap.  Not saying ignore it entirely, but the defense needs people to rush the passer, and it needs to get younger in the back end.  

Offense:

QB - Allen, ????

RB - Cook, ????, ????

WR - Diggs, ????, Shakir, ????, Shorter

TE - Knox, Kincaid, Morris

T - Dawkins, Brown, Van Demark, Doyle

G - McGovern, Torrence, Anderson

C - Bates, ???? (I assume Morse is let go for cap reasons)

Defense:

DE - Von, Groot, ????, Jonathan

3T - Oliver, ????

1T - ????, ????

LB - Milano, Bernard, Williams, Spector

CB - Douglas, Benford, Elam, ???? (expecting to move on from White)

NB - Johnson, ???? (expecting to move on from neal)

S - Poyer, ????, Hamlin, ????

Very good point about QB costs and the need to make others better. But I wouldnt go past the 3rd round without taking a WR.

Take Poyer out of your list too. We have no Safeties going into next year.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Very good point about QB costs and the need to make others better. But I wouldnt go past the 3rd round without taking a WR.

Take Poyer out of your list too. We have no Safeties going into next year.

I left him on since hes under contract technically, and its very... coach and direction specific.  I don't know that mcd wants to break up with 3 of the 2023 starting 4 DBs in one go, but he has not looked himself.  Slower, the elbow injury is definitely affecting him.  Might be time for him to chase a 1 year deal for some cash.  

It sounds to be a deep class so i look at it like... we won't get the top 3 guys, but can you get the right player in the 2nd or something?

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We're going to have to cut Poyer, White, Morse, Harty and others just to get even on cap.

We arent dropping $25M+/yr on another WR.

Even with all of Beane's magic.

Yes, those guys are gone most likely. Possibly even Hines at another 5M. 

Then you get to the meat and potatoes of restructuring and the Bills can clear off up to another $75M in space. Not that they will and not that they should do all of them, of course. 

But structured the right way, lower up front with the number moving up as Diggs gets older and starts to come off the books...with moves they can make anyone that says Higgins isn't affordable isn't being realistic.

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

0C4k0xm.png

It's a tough one. 

Beane has shown the tendency to trade up to secure his draft targets, however, the age on this roster (Morris, Hyde, Poyer, Von Miller, Tre White) and already being over the cap in 2024 will mean that as much cheap labor is needed as possible. 

So, with that said, I expect Harrison Jr, Nabers, Odunze to be off the board by the middle of the first round, putting the Bills into the Coleman and Egbuka territory.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I left him on since hes under contract technically, and its very... coach and direction specific.  I don't know that mcd wants to break up with 3 of the 2023 starting 4 DBs in one go, but he has not looked himself.  Slower, the elbow injury is definitely affecting him.  Might be time for him to chase a 1 year deal for some cash.  

Not sure the coach matters when we are up against the cap, Poyer is a shell, and cutting him saves $5.5M. No brainer. But I get what youre sayin.

2 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I probably wouldn't go 1st round playmaker with my very highly paid QB tbh - he needs to make the rest better because he costs like 25% of the cap.

That's like the opposite of how you do that, you get young playmakers in the draft for your Franchise QB because that's when you can afford them. You rely on them to be able to bring them up to the NFL level and get the best out of them before they either become too expensive for you to keep or you have to shuffle your deck and lose other pieces on your roster to keep them.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

That's like the opposite of how you do that, you get young playmakers in the draft for your Franchise QB because that's when you can afford them. You rely on them to be able to bring them up to the NFL level and get the best out of them before they either become too expensive for you to keep or you have to shuffle your deck and lose other pieces on your roster to keep them.

We just spent a first on a young playmaker this season.  And a 2nd the previous season.  It's not like we don't do that. 

If the value is there sure - but i hate trading up with a billion holes on the defense.  The defense is old to the point where the players are aging off the roster, and there aren't replacements.   

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

We just spent a first on a young playmaker this season.  And a 2nd the previous season.  It's not like we don't do that. 

If the value is there sure - but i hate trading up with a billion holes on the defense.  The defense is old to the point where the players are aging off the roster, and there aren't replacements.   

I dont think there will be any trading up, and definitely not for a WR (unless MHJ starts to fall for some reason which he wont, and even then... shades of Sammy Watkins trade)

24 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Considering CB is a premium position and our Secondary will be wiped out, it's likely. I dont think it's so Billsy tho. It's the modern passing NFL.

Though I don't disagree with you, now is the time to build on the offense and let the defense have some growing pains.  We have Allen, Diggs, Kincaid, Torrence and Cook ready to roll.  Adding to that will only make the offense better and I would prefer to be a team you have to go blow for blow with vs being a team that you can nickel and dime your way to a win.

Just now, The Wiz said:

Though I don't disagree with you, now is the time to build on the offense and let the defense have some growing pains.  We have Allen, Diggs, Kincaid, Torrence and Cook ready to roll.  Adding to that will only make the offense better and I would prefer to be a team you have to go blow for blow with vs being a team that you can nickel and dime your way to a win.

I get it, but the counter is that our Offense is pretty much set where as the Defense is about to lose 6 out of 11 starters and most of our depth.

We'll lose Davis, and maybe make a hole by cutting Morse, but other than that the entire Offense is set and returning. Starters, at least.

If we end up with a CB or DT in the 1st, there will still be decent WR options in the 2nd. I dont want to wait until the 3rd for a WR, but it would still be our highest WR taken (not counting TE Kincaid).

43 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Odunze wouldn’t be a bad shout. Doubt he goes out of the top 15 though. Likely we draft an OLineman, maybe Tackle, or a DB 

I think we go OT, OG, and WR in no particular order. We lose a ton of pass rushers this year. I wouldn’t be shocked at DE sneaking ahead of OL somewhere depending on how the draft falls in front of them. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

I think we go OT, OG, and WR in no particular order. We lose a ton of pass rushers this year. I wouldn’t be shocked at DE sneaking ahead of OL somewhere depending on how the draft falls in front of them. 

I'll be shocked if we take an OL before the 5th round. There's no need. Unless we cut Morse already and are looking for his replacement.

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I get it, but the counter is that our Offense is pretty much set where as the Defense is about to lose 6 out of 11 starters and most of our depth.

We'll lose Davis, and maybe make a hole by cutting Morse, but other than that the entire Offense is set and returning. Starters, at least.

If we end up with a CB or DT in the 1st, there will still be decent WR options in the 2nd. I dont want to wait until the 3rd for a WR, but it would still be our highest WR taken (not counting TE Kincaid).

Starters, yes.  Most of our depth, only at DT.  Still have Elam, Benford and White at CB.  Poyer, Hamlin, Lewis(in a pinch) and Neal have another year at safety.

We have been playing down 4-5 starters on defense already this year and they have been doing well enough.  They can add more in the draft but I would prefer them to add it on the scoring side of the ball.  One player on offense can make everyone else better that is already there.  

I don't one player on defense is going to make them shut teams out every week.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.