8th late-game defensive meltdown this season

dave mcbride

47 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It's over, he's awful and must be replaced immediately with a dynamic offensive coach.  Thank you for trying Clappy but you don't have the coaching chops.

Wow. I agree that it’s probably time to move on, but do you have zero respect for what we has done here? I don’t think he is championship caliber, but he has coaching chops. And he made this city respectable again (football wise). I will always have a fondness for McD, even though I will also admit he didn’t bring the hardware home.

To be honest what bugs me most about him at the moment is that he took so long to let Dorsey go. How many more games would we have won with the offense we have seen the last 2 games?

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Wow. I agree that it’s probably time to move on, but do you have zero respect for what we has done here? I don’t think he is championship caliber, but he has coaching chops. And he made this city respectable again (football wise). I will always have a fondness for McD, even though I will also admit he didn’t bring the hardware home.

To be honest what bugs me most about him at the moment is that he took so long to let Dorsey go. How many more games would we have won with the offense we have seen the last 2 games?

Probably none with this defense. Josh put us in a position to win in all of those games under Dorsey. It just wasn’t pretty.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Granted, the offense has had issues over the course of the season, but it mostly shows up in the fourth quarter, generally speaking. As for the defense in such situations, they have by my count folded 8 times in late-game situations:

Pats game

Denver game

Philly game

Giants game (saved by a ridiculous non-call on the last play - that was blatant DPI)

Cincy -- couldn't get a stop on Cincy’s final possession late to give Allen one more chance

Jax: with the score 11-7 at the beginning of the fourth quarter, they give up 2 long td drives to Jax, with one drive starting at the Jax 7 yard line. Yes, there were injuries, but the D was still steamrolled late in the game — which has been par for the course. To be sure, the offense should have done more early on, but they woke up in the latter part of the game. 

TB - the Bills had a dominating two-TD lead and almost blew it by surrendering a penalty-riddled late TD drive and 2-point conversion followed by a near miss of a hail mary after giving up 3 completions to a team with zero timeouts, which allowed TB to get in position to make the throw.

First Jets game (with special teams collapsing in OT too) - they had a 13-6 lead in the 4th and gave up a 60-yard TD drive to a horrible QB, allowing the Jets to tie it. Of course, Allen was awful  in that game too, but the Bills D didn’t create any plays late either.

Solid post.

Really puts the defense and overall season in perspective. 

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Aging safeties losing half step in the latter stages of games.

That's all it takes. 

I think that is the biggest problem as they are really key to his defense. There’s a few decent options in FA this coming year that I’d like to see an attempt at signing;

CJ Gardner Johnson

Antoine Winfield Jr. 
Jordan Whitehead

Kyle Dugger

Chuck Clark

Xavier McKinney

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

we did have the ball last this game. 20 seconds left and one timeout. Should’ve been two timeouts but Mcdummy decided to waste one trying to ice the kicker.

could’ve at least attempted a couple of passes to get into field goal range for the win. Instead thought the best move was to take a knee.

It coulda/shoulda been 3 time outs.  McD used one on third down with the clock already stopped. 

and the bears went 40 yards in 7 seconds for a field goal on MNF.  The bears!!!!!

the big problem here is McD has refused to learn or improve.  It’s not 1990 anymore.  Driving down the field in a minute for a score isn’t hard anymore.  In fact, it’s a given.  It’s just as likely as kicking a PAT- you just assume you’ll get it every time.   But McD still plays for and settles for FGs which only guarantees we lose.  

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

It's pretty disgusting.  This year we are essentially the Chargers.  Every year I look at the Chargers with Herbert and can't believe they are a .500ish team.  Then you see their games and you see their coach and it all makes sense.  We are Chargers East this year.  Allen has eye-popping stats and we're .500.  Sucks.

They were similar with Rivers.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Bass has been part of the problem 

I'm speaking out of turn because I didn't do the research, but my impression is that Bass is reliable when the Bills are in charge of the game but chokes in a close game when the team really needs the points. I wonder if reality bears out my impression. 

15 minutes ago, finn said:

I'm speaking out of turn because I didn't do the research, but my impression is that Bass is reliable when the Bills are in charge of the game but chokes in a close game when the team really needs the points. I wonder if reality bears out my impression. 

Love the Francis Bacon avatar!

51 minutes ago, finn said:

Not sure. We likely wouldn't remember most of the kicks he misses when the Bills win. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

You are attributing the accomplishments of Josh Allen to the Clapper… big mistake.  McDermott is cut from the same cloth as Dick Jauron, Chan Gailley, etc. 

22 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Granted, the offense has had issues over the course of the season, but it mostly shows up in the fourth quarter, generally speaking. As for the defense in such situations, they have by my count folded 8 times in late-game situations:

Pats game

Denver game

Philly game

Giants game (saved by a ridiculous non-call on the last play - that was blatant DPI)

Cincy -- couldn't get a stop on Cincy’s final possession late to give Allen one more chance

Jax: with the score 11-7 at the beginning of the fourth quarter, they give up 2 long td drives to Jax, with one drive starting at the Jax 7 yard line. Yes, there were injuries, but the D was still steamrolled late in the game — which has been par for the course. To be sure, the offense should have done more early on, but they woke up in the latter part of the game. 

TB - the Bills had a dominating two-TD lead and almost blew it by surrendering a penalty-riddled late TD drive and 2-point conversion followed by a near miss of a hail mary after giving up 3 completions to a team with zero timeouts, which allowed TB to get in position to make the throw.

First Jets game (with special teams collapsing in OT too) - they had a 13-6 lead in the 4th and gave up a 60-yard TD drive to a horrible QB, allowing the Jets to tie it. Of course, Allen was awful  in that game too, but the Bills D didn’t create any plays late either.

Game, set, match.  Thanks for playing, Sean.

3 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

They were similar with Rivers.

Yeah, I had been thinking about that as well.  I was talking with my brother a few weeks back and I said I was afraid we may become the Rivers-era Chargers (good regular seasons...but nothing to show for it in the trophy case).  I remain optimistic that one of these seasons luck will fall our way and Allen will get us a trophy...but man, I hope it actually happens.

dorsey had better production and got let go than what mcd has had.  even jsut over the 25 or 30 games dorsey was our OC for.

1 minute ago, Sestak4ever said:

I mentioned in a separate post that McDermott was fired by Andy Reid in Philly for failing, and basically not wanting to make defensive adjustments when it was called for. According to the article I read, Philly fans were glad to see him go. Seems like he never learned.

got a link to that article?

35 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

I mentioned in a separate post that McDermott was fired by Andy Reid in Philly for failing, and basically not wanting to make defensive adjustments when it was called for. According to the article I read, Philly fans were glad to see him go. Seems like he never learned.

I live in Philly and remember this well. He took over for Jim Johnson and his criticism was that he blitzed way too much and wasn't capable of making defensive adjustments as you state. This has been a staple issue for the defense this year that has left the DB's exposed causing several of the losses. 

On 11/27/2023 at 10:24 AM, dave mcbride said:

Pats game

Denver game

Philly game

Rather than throwing others under the bus, McD needs to look at himself in the mirror.

At this point, I have a difficult time watching/listening to his press conferences.

On 11/27/2023 at 11:01 AM, Comebackkid said:

In the superbowl years they were very good at having the ball last and when it didn't work you could usually count on Bruce to make a play.  But they were very good at scoring on the last drive of the game

I remember an AFC Championship game played in great weather against Denver at Rich Stadium.  The Bills won 10 - 7 and their only TD was a pick 6.  The Bills Super Bowl years Defense was much better then the current D has been under McD.  And when the O struggled I also remember stellar defensive playoff performances during he SB years against Pittsburgh (24 - 3 win) in the Divisional round and Miami in the AFC championship game (29 - 10 win).

On 11/27/2023 at 11:06 AM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

We even changed up our offense to make it more charger-y.  

And that's what you get when defensive minded head coaches run the teams.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.