8th late-game defensive meltdown this season

dave mcbride

21 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The only solution is to have the ball last so the other team doesn't have any time to respond. 

It worked 3 times last season for them(Baltimore, Miami and Detroit) where Bass kicked the winning FG with no time left in 2 of them and 2 seconds left against the Ravens.

Frustrating watching the Ravens D shut down Herbert and the Chargers twice in those situations last night.

In the superbowl years they were very good at having the ball last and when it didn't work you could usually count on Bruce to make a play.  But they were very good at scoring on the last drive of the game

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

Gee, we're not seeing anything like that all....... <_<

We're seeing a lot of general criticism, but that narrative is still generally intact.

Lotsa people still referring to him as a "defensive minded" coach and his great Ds.  Maybe more nationally.  

I just looked, big problem for us, our run D ranks 20th in yards and 29th in YPC. 

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

We're seeing a lot of general criticism, but that narrative is still generally intact.

Lotsa people still referring to him as a "defensive minded" coach and his great Ds.  Maybe more nationally.  

I just looked, big problem for us, our run D ranks 20th in yards and 29th in YPC. 

That is a giant load of bunk you're using to create a nonsense narrative just so you can rail against it and show how right you are.

18 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Teams are playing defense this year. It’s allowed. Teams are making big stops against good QBs every week. I don’t know how in a year where defenses made a huge comeback, this guy’s defense is costing us the playoffs…the guy isn’t even good at his own specialty. This has been the problem from the day after the Texans playoff choke job. There’s so much pressure on the offense to be perfect. Every week every season. God forbid the offense ever has a bad day they never get to lean on this defense 

Yep and that’s literally the difference between the bills and teams like ravens/chiefs. (Even Miami as of late)

Chiefs especially have gotten bailed out many times by their defence.

Bills defence not once has picked up the slack for a bad day by the O

1 minute ago, Simon said:

That is a giant load of bunk you're using to create a nonsense narrative just so you can rail against it and show how right you are.

Glad you know me so well 

I enjoy debate and discussion.  Always happy to admit when I'm wrong.

You won't find many if any posts by me of gloating.  

Believe what you will however.

It does seem that those that were off on McD however, are having difficulty processing it emotionally. 

Appreciate your faith in your fellow humanity (me) though.  😏

• Like (+1) 1

Apparently this goes back to his days as a DC in Philly...maybe that is the real reason why Reid let him go...because at the key moments, his defense fails over and over again.

Look at these comments from Reid after a late loss by Philly in 2010:

image.thumb.png.973a97e0d78fd84f5e0d8e6ce2065d70.png

"FOR 3 QUARTERS WE HAD IT RIGHT THERE."

• Like (+1) 4

He doesn't have answers late in the game once an offense has figured out his initial plans.

In fairness,  with regard to yesterday this is generally what happens to defense's against great offensive teams.........even Belichick had lot's of big games where his second half defense looked bad and blew or almost blew games they had in hand.

But to lose games late to bad offense's like McD has this year is unconscionable.

And to never have anything in the bag of tricks to stop the bleeding despite having a veteran laden defense and so many years in the same system?    It's very discouraging.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Simon said:

People on this forum have pinned yesterday's loss on the offense and have said that the defense was "fabulous" yesterday.  I think they were actually serious.

• Haha (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, technobot said:

Sincerely, thank you Sean McDermott for getting us to another tier. Hopefully we find the right OFFENSIVE coach to maximize our HOF QB's career.

So they were 7-9 the year before McDonothing.  Do you see them getting to 8 wins this year? 

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Apparently this goes back to his days as a DC in Philly...maybe that is the real reason why Reid let him go...because at the key moments, his defense fails over and over again.

Look at these comments from Reid after a late loss by Philly in 2010:

image.thumb.png.973a97e0d78fd84f5e0d8e6ce2065d70.png

"FOR 3 QUARTERS WE HAD IT RIGHT THERE."

There you have it folks.  Maybe the new name for McD - Sean and 3 quarters

I don't want McDermott back next year... 

But man, in these "game-of-the-year" type games that the Bills always lose, it seems like — more times than not — teams are making the most miraculous, improbable, hyper-low percentage plays against the Bills when the game is on the line. We're talking about a completed hail mary, Justin Jefferson's improbable catch, a 59-yard field goal in a driving rain. 

Sometimes it just feels like divine intervention is not in our favor. McDermott's a religious guy... is he not religioning right? 

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Yobogoya! said:

And the Process' mandate of self-reflection and learning from mistakes doesn't seem to apply. 

Why is he so scared to play tight coverage and go for the win on those late drives? I mean, we lose anyway... surely there's no reason not to try it at this point, right? 

That’s just who he is unfortunately. It’s been 7 years and he still makes the same exact mistakes and we’re in decline…and there’s still a faction of people here that want more of it. 

I’ll never understand it. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He doesn't have answers late in the game once an offense has figured out his initial plans.

In fairness,  with regard to yesterday this is generally what happens to defense's against great offensive teams.........even Belichick had lot's of big games where his second half defense looked bad and blew or almost blew games they had in hand.

But to lose games late to bad offense's like McD has this year is unconscionable.

And to never have anything in the bag of tricks to stop the bleeding despite having a veteran laden defense and so many years in the same system?    It's very discouraging.

On the broadcast Romo kept talking about how Philly was getting their running game outside and that was the key for them offensively.  I remember one play in the RZ where Rousseau single-handedly stopped a run out there, but it happened rarely if ever beside that time.  

It's as if McD knows the scheme is vulnerable against the run and wants to get off to quick starts and force opponents to throw into that zone.  When things don't go that way, he's runs out of ideas quickly.  That defense seems especially weak up the middle and I know Jones being out hurts, but it's unreal they haven't developed a way to mitigate that by week 12 and with all the DL investment.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, MPL said:

But man, in these "game-of-the-year" type games that the Bills always lose, it seems like — more times than not — teams are making the most miraculous, improbable, hyper-low percentage plays against the Bills when the game is on the line. We're talking about a completed hail mary, Justin Jefferson's improbable catch, a 59-yard field goal in a driving rain. 

Sometimes it just feels like divine intervention is not in our favor. McDermott's a religious guy... is he not religioning right? 

The cigarette man still lives...

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, MPL said:

Yeah it really is amazing....don't forget 13 seconds and that Butker drilled a 58 yard FG to tie it and send it to OT.  It's not like it was some chip shot.

Hail Murray...the Hail Hurts, which for all intents and purposes was the exact same play just not at the end of the game...

AJ Brown fumble being overturned that would have sealed the win in OT.

Just seems there is some sinister force at work that wants Buffalo fans to not only suffer but do so in the most cruel ways imaginable.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah it really is amazing....don't forget 13 seconds and that Butker drilled a 58 yard FG to tie it and send it to OT.  It's not like it was some chip shot.

Hail Murray...the Hail Hurts, which for all intents and purposes was the exact same play just not at the end of the game...

AJ Brown fumble being overturned that would have sealed the win in OT.

Just seems there is some sinister force at work that wants Buffalo fans to not only suffer but do so in the most cruel ways imaginable.

It's not a mystery why some teams win and some teams lose imo

Some of it is luck, and some of it is not. The ones who win more regularly have figured out a way to address the latter.

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Only logical explanation is that Josh Allen made a deal with the devil to become the most physically gifted QB of all time with the fine print reading that no matter what Josh Allen did, it would never be enough — for eternity, or something. 

Edited by MPL
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.