8th late-game defensive meltdown this season

dave mcbride

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And EJ’s career would have been saved if the defense held the lead in London! (also, Derek Carr sucks 🥳)

1 - football is the ultimate team game. The offense sucked in the first halves of the Jets, Jags, Broncos, and Pats game. Besides the Jags, those are garbage offenses would have lost confidence if they feel behind and become one dimensional.

2 - we have a soft defense that I believe is like the Manning Colts. Get a lead, force teams to pass, and get pressure. The offense hasn’t given them that opportunity that much this year. When this team gets a double digit lead early in games, they become blowouts. 

3 - we need to apologize to Leslie. 

4 - our defense has kept us in a lot of games that could have been way worse like the Jags and Eagles game. I’m more disappointed in the unevenness of the offense since we haven’t had the injuries and have Allen. 

They should have blown that team out in the first half. That was maybe the most broken team in history and we let them hang around. They should have stepped on their throats and they just played extremely lackadaisical.

None of this is wrong, but I am not talking about the entire games. There was no bigger critic of Dorsey in the Jets game than me either. I am really talking only about what I specified at the beginning of this thread: the defense falls apart late once an opponent has figured out the schemed game plan, which most teams do after three quarters. To reiterate, there is so much parity in the league that you need to be able to score late and defend late. The defense has been very poor in the fourth quarter too many times this season, particularly when teams start playing with four downs instead of three. 

Also: yeah, Carr looks like crap this year. Calls to mind Bill Walsh's comment about Steve DeBerg: he's just good enough to get you fired. Winston sucks too.

Edited by dave mcbride

On 11/27/2023 at 10:28 AM, Dablitzkrieg said:

Only McD can manage to "lead" a team to a .500 record with an elite QB 

First of all, the season isn't over yet. But yes, with the talent on this team, our record should be better...but this idea going around the board that having an elite QB automatically equals 12-13 wins and a Super Bowl appearance (at least every other year) is a fallacy. As is, no other coach could ever have a .500 record with an elite QB.

The "great" Sean Payton led the Saints to four seasons of 7-9 and also an 8-8 season with soon-to-be Hall of Famer Drew Brees as his QB. (One Super Bowl appearance/win in 14 years together).

Mike McCarthy had season records of 6-10, 8-7-1, 7-9, and 4-7-1 with Aaron Rodgers as his QB.

Matt LaFleur had an 8-9 season with Aaron Rodgers at QB.

Mike Tomlin had two 8-8 seasons with Ben Roethlisberger.

Ok, this one is stretching back to another era (and the Bills had a lot to say about it), but Don Shula (HOF, top 3 coach of all-time) with Dan Marino (HOF, top 5-7 QB all time) in 13 years together, only made (and lost) one Super Bowl, and had seasons of 8-8, 8-7, 6-10, 8-8, and 8-8. 

This isn't Madden, where everything is static based on rating, teams/coaches/players have theirs ups and downs, ebbs and flows, not just during the season, but from year to year as well. It's not as easy as get an elite QB and start winning Super Bowls. I think Brady and Mahomes have skewed people's perceptions. People now think that if you have an elite QB, you should automatically be in the Super Bowl every other year. It's just not true. Brady and Mahomes are the exception, not the rule...and we don't even know if Pat can maintain that for another ten years (going to Super Bowls, not his level of play) to remain that exception.

This isn't a defense of McDermott per se (I am not by any means ok with a .500 record/no playoffs---if that happens---either), I just think that we as fans need to be more realistic about our expectations and criticisms. But then fan is short for fanatic, so...🤷‍♂️

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.