8th late-game defensive meltdown this season

dave mcbride

37 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Maybe I should have had the statement "this failure is a team effort, Josh included". Josh gets all the excuses. 8 games in a row with a pick. Can't keep doing that. 

You can if you're throwing 40+ times a game, and scoring rushing TDs at an unmatched rate and are a top rusher for your team. 

The average NFL game ends around 20-17.  The average number of points scored by both teams is 46.  If you're scoring 30 points you should win the game. This was a failure on the defense and the head coach primarily.  It's a false equivalence to say the offense has equal blame.  

• Agree 3

On 11/27/2023 at 10:24 AM, dave mcbride said:

Granted, the offense has had issues over the course of the season, but it mostly shows up in the fourth quarter, generally speaking. As for the defense in such situations, they have by my count folded 8 times in late-game situations:

Pats game

Denver game

Philly game

Giants game (saved by a ridiculous non-call on the last play - that was blatant DPI)

Cincy -- couldn't get a stop on Cincy’s final possession late to give Allen one more chance

Jax: with the score 11-7 at the beginning of the fourth quarter, they give up 2 long td drives to Jax, with one drive starting at the Jax 7 yard line. Yes, there were injuries, but the D was still steamrolled late in the game — which has been par for the course. To be sure, the offense should have done more early on, but they woke up in the latter part of the game. 

TB - the Bills had a dominating two-TD lead and almost blew it by surrendering a penalty-riddled late TD drive and 2-point conversion followed by a near miss of a hail mary after giving up 3 completions to a team with zero timeouts, which allowed TB to get in position to make the throw.

First Jets game (with special teams collapsing in OT too) - they had a 13-6 lead in the 4th and gave up a 60-yard TD drive to a horrible QB, allowing the Jets to tie it. Of course, Allen was awful  in that game too, but the Bills D didn’t create any plays late either.

Pats game they were not good the entire game. That was the worst D game I have seen by the Bills this year.

Jets- come on man! Allen was god awful that game and special teams lost that game.

Cincy — Had Burrow and Chase and we’re playing well. Hard stop them when they are in a groove. 

Jax — I didn’t get to see so so will let you have that one.

Giants — umm the O scored only 14 points against a bad D!  That game shouldn’t have been that close.. so blaming a D that gave up less than 10 points is odd. 

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is bat feces crazy talk.  The suggestion that the INT against the Eagles was a killer when Allen drove the Bills down for what should have been the winning TD in the last 2 minutes is beyond stupid.

I guess by responding to you I'm feeding the trolls but damn there are a lot of trolls on 2BD recently.

Maybe I should have had the statement "this failure is a team effort, Josh included". Josh gets all the excuses. 8 games in a row with a pick. Can't keep doing that. 

As for bat feces crazy talk, are you suggesting that pick, at our 25 yd line didn't hurt our efforts in the game? It was killer. There is a reason Josh had to drive us down for the game winning TD. He had a hand in those 7 points Philly scored there. We lost by 3 points, that turnover was killer.

I'm one of the most "half glass full" posters here. I'm merely pointing out how Josh gets no blame when he had a direct hand in the loss. A lot of people use the troll moniker when a Josh mistake is brought up. Hardly a troll. I love Josh as our QB, but when he makes a mistake and it's called out "troll" is brought up. Some here act like he craps golden eggs or something. It's ok to call him out like we do to others. It really is.

• Vomit 1

49 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Nice backtrack, but I directly quoted you saying this: "You can’t fault the defense for this game.  It was squarely on the offense and our franchise QB".  Your words, not mine.

Sounds pretty "binary" to me, son.

Oooh you really caught me!  Like I said, context matter

8 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Pats game they were not good the entire game. That was the worst D game I have seen by the Bills this year.

Jets- come on man! Allen was god awful that game and special teams lost that game.

Cincy — Had Burrow and Chase and we’re playing well. Hard stop them when they are in a groove. 

Giants — umm the O scored only 14 points against a bad D!  That game shouldn’t have been that close.. so blaming a D that gave up less than 10 points is odd. 

People don’t want to blame Josh or the players, so McDermott is the easiest target and will get blamed for everything since “he’s the head coach!”

I’d agree with your points.  Especially the NE game.  Injuries really killed the defense and it started with the front 7.  

15 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

People don’t want to blame Josh or the players, so McDermott is the easiest target and will get blamed for everything since “he’s the head coach!”

I’d agree with your points.  Especially the NE game.  Injuries really killed the defense and it started with the front 7.  

It always falls on the HC, because you can’t fire the entire team but you can fire the HC. Trust me I’m waiting for the word BB has been let go up here in NE and if anyone earned good will it’s a guy who was HC for 9 SB appearances.

7 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

You can if you're throwing 40+ times a game, and scoring rushing TDs at an unmatched rate and are a top rusher for your team. 

The average NFL game ends around 20-17.  The average number of points scored by both teams is 46.  If you're scoring 30 points you should win the game. This was a failure on the defense and the head coach primarily.  It's a false equivalence to say the offense has equal blame.  

Unmatched rate?!?!? 15 td passes to 9 ints in the past 8 games. 😂

The league leader in turnovers 3 years straight and that's not a problem?!? Since 2020 he's thrown more picks than Derek Carr, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff. You name him and Josh has him beat. That pick in the Philly game was VERY costly. It was in the 4th qtr, at OUR 25 yd line. We HAD the lead at the time.  

17 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Unmatched rate?!?!? 15 td passes to 9 ints in the past 8 games. 😂

The league leader in turnovers 3 years straight and that's not a problem?!? Since 2020 he's thrown more picks than Derek Carr, Baker Mayfield, Jared Goff. You name him and Josh has him beat. That pick in the Philly game was VERY costly. It was in the 4th qtr, at OUR 25 yd line. We HAD the lead at the time.  

"scoring rushing TDs at an unmatched rate" is what I said that you conveniently ignored.

He's scored more touchdowns than anyone. You'd have a point if that wasn't the case. The pick was costly, then we marched down the field and took the lead again.  Know what was more costly? The defense failing to get two stops in a row to end the game.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

The offense left three TDs off the board, the Cook drop, and the Sh/t twin and Gabe running the wrong routes.  We needed just one of those plays, and we win.

59 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The offense left three TDs off the board, the Cook drop, and the Sh/t twin and Gabe running the wrong routes.  We needed just one of those plays, and we win.

The D did not make a stop when needed.  This is an old story.  Yep 0-6 in OT too because not a single D stop.

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

We needed McDermott to call a competent 4th quarter and we win. 32nd in the league during the 4th quarter over the last 8 games from our defensive head coach. 

Instead of blaming the side of the ball who got the lead with 1:45 left on the clock let’s call a spade a spade here.

If the offense needs to be so much better then the defense is in the dumpster. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

We needed McDermott to call a competent 4th quarter and we win. 32nd in the league during the 4th quarter over the last 8 games from our defensive head coach. 

Instead of blaming the side of the ball who got the lead with 1:45 left on the clock let’s call a spade a spade here.

Dave Mason time.  Both O and D came up a play short.

• Eyeroll 1

56 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Why can't we blame the side that played from behind for 58 minutes while turning the ball over, forcing our defense to defend short fields, and generally doing nothing productive?  The offense was SUPPOSED to be so much better than it was.  Good offense beats good defense in the modern NFL.  The offense was a healthy unit with a top 3 QB and was struggling to keep pace with Tyrod, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, and whatever is left of Russ Wilson.  The offense was equal to or worse than the "dumpster" defense missing half its starters during the losing streak.  

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The D did not make a stop when needed.  This is an old story.  Yep 0-6 in OT too because not a single D stop.

Offense can score 6 sometimes.  Its allowed. Other teams do it to us.

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Why can't we blame the side that played from behind for 58 minutes while turning the ball over, forcing our defense to defend short fields, and generally doing nothing productive?  The offense was SUPPOSED to be so much better than it was.  Good offense beats good defense in the modern NFL.  The offense was a healthy unit with a top 3 QB and was struggling to keep pace with Tyrod, Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, and whatever is left of Russ Wilson.  The offense was equal to or worse than the "dumpster" defense missing half its starters during the losing streak.  

Offense can score 6 sometimes.  Its allowed. Other teams do it to us.

And that absolves the defence who has not made a single stop?  

I don’t  particularly care who is the Offensive or Defensive coordinator, as eventually the buck stops at the HC.

On 11/27/2023 at 10:40 AM, technobot said:

Injuries notwithstanding, we DOMINATED TOP yesterday:

40:30 (Bills) 26:53 (Eagles

Yet I had seen this movie before. The defense stopped making stops in the fourth quarter. Give them credit for holding the line, and tip my hat to Elliott for making an all-time kick.

But this kind of performance predates McDermott, it was a drought special. We've all seen it a million times. Defense plays above expectations for 3/4 of the game giving us a chance. They get trampled at the end anyway as the other side simply pulls away. Patriots with Brady were particularly cruel with this kind of letdown.

The difference is we clearly have a franchise quarterback. Like, Romo doesn't even try to hide his giant ***** man crush for Allen anymore. Two weeks ago he casually dropped "one of the all-time greats" referring to Allen, a player who is 27!!! You can hear Romo coaching Allen during the broadcasts because he knows #17 was sent to us on a rocket ship and the last son of Krypton is being wasted. He knows Allen is capable of being the most dominant player in the league.

Sincerely, thank you Sean McDermott for getting us to another tier. Hopefully we find the right OFFENSIVE coach to maximize our HOF QB's career.

I agree that our D looked great against Philly til about the middle of the 3rd quarter, and things started going downhill.  To your point we've seen the defense get soft at the end of games too many times before, leading to losses.  I just wonder what the cause of that is - is it a conditioning issue (tiring out), or is it that the opposing team figures out what we're doing and adjusts?  If it is the latter then what is apparent is that we don't counter adjust and then we get reamed.   

I'm mostly curious about your last sentence.  If the defense is the problem - why do we need an offensive minded coach?   We go through this a lot on this board "it's the offense" or "it's the defense".  Last year there was talk that we should just focus completely on making the offense so strong it couldn't be stopped.  Now we're wanting the defense to be better.  It takes a balance of both and we'll never be a great team with just a great D or great O if the other side is lacking.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I am talking about ends of games. The defense made precisely zero stops vs the Jets in the last quarter and allowed them to convert a fourth on their final possession to bleed clock, preventing the Bills from trying for a TD in regulation. Allen and ST were bad, but the defense made precisely zero plays in the final quarter too. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

IMO the injuries are blown out of proportion and are more an excuse than anything.   The late game ability of seemingly any offense to go through this defense like butter is a big problem.

Daquan Jones has been mostly replaced by Linval Joseph.  Jones is better but Joseph fills the gap way better than Poona ford

Tre White has been replaced by Rasul Douglass, this might be an upgrade.

Milano is a tremendous loss but a SuperBowl caliber team should be able to overcome the loss of their top LB.

• Like (+1) 4

On 11/27/2023 at 10:37 AM, Johnnycage46 said:

It's pretty disgusting.  This year we are essentially the Chargers.  Every year I look at the Chargers with Herbert and can't believe they are a .500ish team.  Then you see their games and you see their coach and it all makes sense.  We are Chargers East this year.  Allen has eye-popping stats and we're .500.  Sucks.

Perfect sunmary

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

I am talking about ends of games. The defense made precisely zero stops vs the Jets in the last quarter and allowed them to convert a fourth on their final possession to bleed clock, preventing the Bills from trying for a TD in regulation. Allen and ST were bad, but the defense made precisely zero plays in the final quarter too. 

I think you’re putting to much blame in one place. For example the Jets game the Bills O scored only 3 points in the second half.. That’s just not good enough.. at worse it was special teams, but really it was a full team loss as all 3 phases had major breakdowns. 

20 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Are you happy he chose to kneel with 20 seconds left in regulation with an elite QB rather than try to win the game? Or that he burned an extra timeout to let the Eagles regroup and take their time to take the 58 yard field goal to tie it and take us down to 1 time out? Or that we went to a completely soft prevent zone to let them easily catch any short pass they wanted with more than enough time on the clock to drive right down the field without resistance or doing it again in OT? 

Do we also need to go back to his entire history of late game postseason gaffes or even just the games from this year? 

Look at some of the teams that are in line to make the playoffs who have a QB nowhere close to Josh. This is embarrassing that all McD's been able to do with this team is go .500 and needing a miracle to make the playoffs now. 

All of that is completely irrelevant if the plays i talked about are executed . If the catches are made & the kicks are also made & those points are on the board  

BILLS WIN . 

Every year is different, look at Elway's career how long did it take him to get back to a SB & then to finally win one ? Look at Marino & Kelly & some of the really great teams they were on so just because you have a great QB in place doesn't mean you should go to or win a SB .

Being a Bills fan you should know that better than most .

On 11/27/2023 at 10:29 AM, YodaMan79 said:

The team need a different philosophical approach/direction.  Since 13 seconds, it's been steady decline, that's now full on accelerating. 

Yup I believe this team carry’s around McD late game blunders . McD even makes decisions based on those blunders in other blunder games. The players have taken McD mindset and are weak minded just like the Coach . We need a strong leader to move on from all these horrible loses and to be honest we need to let some players go that’s been around for most if not all these games . Morse, Poyer, Hyde & a few others have to be released this coming offseason along with McD getting fired. 

This team needs a new direction and a mini reset to the roster . McBeane has held onto older vets a little too long we need to get younger and we also need a identity not just a physical one but a mental one as well. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

I think you’re putting to much blame in one place. For example the Jets game the Bills O scored only 3 points in the second half.. That’s just not good enough.. at worse it was special teams, but really it was a full team loss as all 3 phases had major breakdowns. 

I'm talking about 8 games in total, not just one. In this one particular game, along with the offensive and ST failures, the defense failed to get a stop either in the fourth, which is part of a much broader season-long trend.  

• Agree 1

On 11/29/2023 at 3:50 PM, Bruffalo said:

"scoring rushing TDs at an unmatched rate" is what I said that you conveniently ignored.

He's scored more touchdowns than anyone. You'd have a point if that wasn't the case. The pick was costly, then we marched down the field and took the lead again.  Know what was more costly? The defense failing to get two stops in a row to end the game.

Yep, missed this. My bad. not ignored, just missed it. IMO, my point still stands. You can't lead the league in turnovers and not take some of the blame. A 7-5 record vs a 6-6 record makes a ton of difference right now. Josh losing the Jets game by himself has hurts our playoff chances. Yet folks here point to the NE loss or Denver. Why? It's a way to forget Josh lost a game all on his own. How did the "unmatched rushing td rate" help then? Proves my point. You can't lead the league in turnovers and just skate from responsibility. That Jets loss could cost us a playoff berth. And it didn't have to be. Four turnovers, when "only" three turnovers would have won us that game. You get the point.

This is not about absolving the rest of the team. It's about deserved criticism for Josh and his propensity to give the ball to the opposing team. It's that simple. 

I wrote: "this failure is a team effort, Josh included". Josh gets all the excuses. 8 games in a row with a pick. Can't keep doing that. 

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Josh losing the Jets game by himself has hurts our playoff chances. Yet folks here point to the NE loss or Denver. Why? It's a way to forget Josh lost a game all on his own.

No. It's because Josh is not replaceable. He's our QB for the next decade. If his poor play single handedly loses us just one game a year that is a really really good outcome.

McDermott on the other hand is easily replaceable. And he was the biggest reason for several of our losses this year.

Trying to blame Josh for this disappointing season isn't problem solving, it's just whining. He totally sucked in that Jets game, it happens. I don't just whine about McDermott for fun. I want him replaced.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/5/2023 at 4:54 PM, HappyDays said:

No. It's because Josh is not replaceable. He's our QB for the next decade. If his poor play single handedly loses us just one game a year that is a really really good outcome.

McDermott on the other hand is easily replaceable. And he was the biggest reason for several of our losses this year.

Trying to blame Josh for this disappointing season isn't problem solving, it's just whining. He totally sucked in that Jets game, it happens. I don't just whine about McDermott for fun. I want him replaced.

That first paragraph was just…wow!

I don’t whine about Josh for fun. What kinda crap is this? I’m not blaming Josh only. I did point out most failures were team failures. Including Josh. There’s even a short on YouTube titled “Josh’s weekly interception’. I’m pointing out that he’s excused too much here. How you can say it’s a good outcome for the season that Josh “only lost one game” ? Perfect example of sweeping things under the rug or excuses for him. That loss is crucial to playoff standings. And Josh lost that crucial game all in his own. 

• Eyeroll 1

This is really nit picking on the defense. The defense was not the reason the team lost the Jags, Denver or Jets games. The only reason the Bills had chances in those games was because of the defense. The Bengals game was also not on the defense solely. The defense gave up 3 points in the second half of that game the offense only scored 11 points in the second half. The defense gave the offense a chance in that second half. 

The Pats and Eagles losses (although the defense did force a 59 yard field goal in bad weather in the Eagles game) you can pin on the defense. But the defense is not the reason for most of these losses or closer victories. Just stop with this nonsense.

• Vomit 1

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

This is really nit picking on the defense. The defense was not the reason the team lost the Jags, Denver or Jets games. The only reason the Bills had chances in those games was because of the defense. The Bengals game was also not on the defense solely. The defense gave up 3 points in the second half of that game the offense only scored 11 points in the second half. The defense gave the offense a chance in that second half. 

The Pats and Eagles losses (although the defense did force a 59 yard field goal in bad weather in the Eagles game) you can pin on the defense. But the defense is not the reason for most of these losses or closer victories. Just stop with this nonsense.

Nit-picking? There is SO much parity in the NFL and so many close games across the league. How a team performs late game relative to its opponent can easily be the difference between 11-6 and 7-10.  It is inarguable that the Bills' defense is terrible late. Inarguable. Their defense is last or near last in EPA and DVOA in the fourth quarter this season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Nit-picking? There is SO much parity in the NFL and so many close games across the league. How a team performs late game relative to its opponent can easily be the difference between 11-6 and 7-10.  It is inarguable that the Bills' defense is terrible late. Inarguable. Their defense is last or near last in EPA and DVOA in the fourth quarter this season.

You also have to look at context in the NFL as unlike baseball games happen in context. The defense in many games was worn down by losing a time of possession battle due to an under performing offensive unit. 

You are holding almost calls and games they won holding the opponent under 20 points against them. 

On 11/30/2023 at 7:18 AM, dave mcbride said:

Wrong. The beginning of the 4th starts with us making the Jets punt it away with a sack on 3rd down. If I remember correctly, the Jets had all of 6 points with 5 minutes left...in regulation. And that was with Josh giving the ball to them all game along. With 9:44 left in the 4th Allen throws a pick leading to the incredible catch by Wilson for a TD. No problem. We have the incredible Josh Allen. We'll come back and win this one. Why? We have Allen. Well, the VERY NEXT PLAY, Josh fumbles to ball over to the Jets AT OUR 25 yd line. Yet, our defense holds them to 3 points. 3 points. I guess the defense has to cover for Josh on every mistake or it's on them. OK.

12 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Wrong. The beginning of the 4th starts with us making the Jets punt it away with a sack on 3rd down. If I remember correctly, the Jets had all of 6 points with 5 minutes left...in regulation. And that was with Josh giving the ball to them all game along. With 9:44 left in the 4th Allen throws a pick leading to the incredible catch by Wilson for a TD. No problem. We have the incredible Josh Allen. We'll come back and win this one. Why? We have Allen. Well, the VERY NEXT PLAY, Josh fumbles to ball over to the Jets AT OUR 25 yd line. Yet, our defense holds them to 3 points. 3 points. I guess the defense has to cover for Josh on every mistake or it's on them. OK.

If you went to get litigious about it, yes, the Jets made a stop in the fourth: on the very first play when it was already third down. Jeez. 

And yes they held them to 3 points -- after converting a fourth down and not even really trying to get a first on the subsequent third down (they ran it up the middle on third and 12 and didn't attempt a pass on those three downs). They were content with bleeding clock.

Edited by dave mcbride

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

If you went WANT to get litigious about it, yes, the Jets BILLS made a stop in the fourth: on the very first play when it was already third down. Jeez. 

And yes they held them to 3 points -- after converting a fourth down and not even really trying to get a first on the subsequent third down (they ran it up the middle on third and 12 and didn't attempt a pass on those three downs). They were content with bleeding clock.

Come on, man. Settle down. Take a breath and read what you post before actually posting.

The defense was not the issue in the "Allen lost to the Jets" game. Allen gave them the ball TWICE in the 4th, but it's on the defense to keep bailing him out. And if they don't, they are to blame. Think about it. ONE less turnover and we win. Is it asking too much for Josh to turn it over JUST 3 times?!?!? 

And EJ’s career would have been saved if the defense held the lead in London! (also, Derek Carr sucks 🥳)

1 - football is the ultimate team game. The offense sucked in the first halves of the Jets, Jags, Broncos, and Pats game. Besides the Jags, those are garbage offenses would have lost confidence if they feel behind and become one dimensional.

2 - we have a soft defense that I believe is like the Manning Colts. Get a lead, force teams to pass, and get pressure. The offense hasn’t given them that opportunity that much this year. When this team gets a double digit lead early in games, they become blowouts. 

3 - we need to apologize to Leslie. 

4 - our defense has kept us in a lot of games that could have been way worse like the Jags and Eagles game. I’m more disappointed in the unevenness of the offense since we haven’t had the injuries and have Allen. 

On 11/30/2023 at 7:18 AM, dave mcbride said:

They should have blown that team out in the first half. That was maybe the most broken team in history and we let them hang around. They should have stepped on their throats and they just played extremely lackadaisical.

Just now, Freak-O said:

If you count holding one of the best teams in the league to a 59 yard last minute field goal in the wind and rain as a “meltdown” then I don’t need to read anymore. 

Let's skip that drive then.  The OT drive is worse.

On 11/27/2023 at 7:40 AM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

From literal day 1….of this defense isn’t turning people over, they are t stoping teams. This scheme, this defense, this coach sucks. It’s been the defense from 2019 Texans loss on. It’s always the defense. Early on Poyer and Hyde were elite and making plays on the backend to turn people over constantly. And QB willing to take the easy throw will shred us. We never stop anyone legitimately. It’s turn overs or the other team has whatever they want on us every 3rd down. We used to be able to beat the bad QBs, now we can’t even do that. This coach needs to go tonight.

screw tonight how about today. Hey McJackass why don't you trust the process of cleaning out your office.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.