Buffalo / Philly Postgame thread

Simon

I saw a quote on Twitter attributed to AJ Brown who said he fumbled. Many non biased observers online are saying it was a fumble. That really makes me sick if the game should’ve been over there and we got screwed.  This organization and fan base deserves better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Let’s not pretend like elite Allen has carried this team to 6 wins.  If the Allen from these last two games was here all year we wouldn’t be in this situation.  He has certainly been part of the problem this year, I don’t know if it was all Dorsey or what.

No shame in losing a tough one to the Eagles, the problem is that we put ourselves in a situation where we can’t afford any losses by losing to crap teams earlier.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

Let’s not pretend like elite Allen has carried this team to 6 wins.  If the Allen from these last two games was here all year we wouldn’t be in this situation.  He has certainly been part of the problem this year, I don’t know if it was all Dorsey or what.

No shame in losing a tough one to the Eagles, the problem is that we put ourselves in a situation where we can’t afford any losses by losing to crap teams earlier.

yes there is. That should have been a win and they blew it. Don't rationalize this loss

• Like (+1) 3

I'm literally at the 11th hour for getting angry about this game. The last play of the game makes me wonder a question I often ask (especially this season with the Bills defense) , which is in most other sports when players are physically spent why not put in more backups? The Bills D on the last 2 drives were completely done. I realize the drop off in quality is steep from starters to 2nd stringers and bench warmers but in a game like yesterday's, wouldn't a fresh backup have been more useful than an exhausted starter? The Bills defense offered nothing to stop Philly on that drive. It looked like a done deal when Philly got the ball. And Rasul Douglas's attempt to tackle Hurts as he ran towards him near the goal line for the winning TD has to be seen to be believed. He makes the most half hearted attempt at a tackle like he is playing touch football when he could have met Hurts at the 5 yard line. Absolutely embarrassing! McD knew his defense was completely done on the last drive of the game, let alone the OT. So why in the hell did he kneel down? With 20 seconds left? He should have gone for the first down on the 4th down in OT as well because he knew his defense was done! As soon as we kicked that FG we gave up. Gutless and just plain idiotic coaching!

When will someone in the Buff media ask some tough questions, or a follow up.  After a loss like last night McD always says “we’ll learn from it, get better, and move on”…we’ve heard that canned garbage week in and week out.  They should be the most learned team in the league, yet they repeatedly fail in the same fashion multiple times a season.  “A follow up to that response coach, you’ve said that after multiple close losses, yet the team continues to lose one score and over time games…so what exactly have you and or the team learned from the previous late game failures, and why have the on-field results not improved?”

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Honestly, how bad was Dorsey? The bills offense looks like a completely different team under Brady. What was Dorsey doing to absolutely kill this team? 

It is quite dramatic 2 for 2 on Brady. Worth a serious discussion. And where was McD for 18 months then? Would be good to hear the underneath story

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Honestly, how bad was Dorsey? The bills offense looks like a completely different team under Brady. What was Dorsey doing to absolutely kill this team? 

He had absolutely zero clue how to change his play calls from series to series, refused to let Josh use his legs, and called low percentage shot plays in terrible situations. 

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

A few quick observations:

1) 10 penalties in the first half. 10 freaking penalties? That is an average of one every 3 minutes of playing time. This begs the question.....when will  McDermott be held accountable for this? Who should we blame? Beane? The refs? Mr. Pegula will have to get sick of his act for a change to be made because McDermott obviously has more power than Beane.

2) Did you see Gabe Davis toss his helmet after what appeared to be a miscommunication between him and Josh on a pass? How many players tosed their helmets after his numerous drops this and last season?  Imagine how good Josh would be with even an adequate #2 receiver, let alone a good one!!!

3) Diggs is great. He really is and not only that, he could be seen trying to calm down the pouting Diggs and encouraging other teammates. Isn't he supposed to be the "diva?"

4) The offensive line played well, giving Josh time to throw some freaking great passes, to include a deep out pattern in the pouring rain. VERY few qbs could have made that throw. I made it a point to watch Spencer Brown and imo he played rather well. Dawkins also played a fine game imo.

In summary, I think that McDermott is the main problem with this team. Between the poor drafts and the last minute losses in important games, I think that it is time for a change, unless he by some miracle turns this team completely around. It might happen too but sadly, it does seem unlikely.

As always, jmo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Emmanuel Sanders signing in 2021 makes more and more sense as time passes. 

The O-line was tremendous.  We're staged for a quick turnaround next year.  That group (probably minus a Morse/Bates switch) is back, and with the QB, WR1, RB1, and TE1 we can keep it going on that side of the ball.   

Agreed on McD.  Everyone else has taken a fall.  I don't think he's a great end-of-game coach, and that problem has been exacerbated by his wearing of the DC "hat" this year as well.  He overextended himself and hurt himself in both areas.  But for the 13 seconds disaster I'd think he'd be safe.  Now, however, there's nobody left to blame for the end-of-game failures, and what I see as a significant credibility problem should he return.  Farwell and Frazier left.  Dorsey was fired.  Sean's the last man standing (for now). 

*Perhaps the one thing that might save him is if he turns the offense over to the new coordinator, hires a DC, and brings in a bunch of younger personnel on the defensive side of the ball who haven't been around to listen to his schtick for seven years.  Maybe the youth and willingness to prove in those younger players makes it work next year.  Maybe.  But I really think we need an offensive guy who knows our personnel, knows the routine around here (that shouldn't be destroyed), has the respect of the locker room, is someone with whom franchise QB1 wants to work, and isn't learning on the job.  It's almost like we had a guy like that around here before who left for the Giants after the aforementioned disaster.  

27 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Couldn’t sleep well last night. That loss is going to be hard to get over. 

Agreed.  I think because it epitomized so many of this team’s failures and us fans’ torment.  

1. The league clearly hates Buffalo or at least doesn’t care to call games fairly. There’s zero doubt the refs were biased against Buffalo in this game.  I don’t have to point out all the bad calls and missed calls.  The whole football viewing world saw it.  But why are they so biased against us?   

One theory I have is it’s Bills Mafia’s fault.  The league knows we’re loyal and will follow the team through thick and thin.  So they have zero incentive to see the Bills win, and can blatantly referee the game to maximize betting profits and league narratives.  As a fan base we should really boycott the league until they fire this officiating crew. 

2. We all lived through the 13 second game. We all have seen what can be done with 13 seconds on the clock.  We had a chance, with 20 seconds… and kneeled down.   You can’t create legends and legendary endings when you  give up.  McD gave up and we were robbed at the chance to have our legendary moment. 

3. A 59 yard FG in the driving rain.  It reminded me of the Dallas MNF game years ago when they beat us on an improbable last second, long ass FG.   Why do other kickers always make those kicks against us, but our guy can’t even make relatively routine ones?  

4.  When we need it most, we have no playmakers other than Josh.  We watch amazing highlight reel plays against us every week and watch our team lack that same ability.   

We had a great play call after several runs, perfectly setting it up.  Josh read the situation and makes a perfect pass.  Cook runs right by the defender and is free and clear as the ball hits his hands… and he drops it. 

Not once, but twice, WRs run the wrong route and Josh throws a great pass with perfect timing, placement and anticipation in the end zone.  And the ball hits the turf because the WRs turned the wrong way.

The list could go on, but does it need to?  The Bills lack focus.  They lack playmakers that win games.  Is it poor preparation or poor players?  I don’t know but it’s on display time and time again.  We watch other teams make the play to win the game, while our players..  drop the ball and we wonder why God hates us. 

5. I woke up this morning with an image of Josh - dirty, soaking wet, jersey ripped. He looked tired and battered in the pouring rain. But it’s the way this team loses that is making us all so tired.  We’ve seen it all. We’re battered, beaten, dirty and standing there - helpless - as the other team, coaches, fans get their legendary wins.  

I imagine he is tired.  I know I’m tired of seeing this same ending play out over and over again.  This is a hard loss to get over for a number of reasons.  Mostly because, once again, we were at the precipice of greatness just to have the league and our coach screw us out of that moment. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Dirtyd415 said:

When will someone in the Buff media ask some tough questions, or a follow up.  After a loss like last night McD always says “we’ll learn from it, get better, and move on”…we’ve heard that canned garbage week in and week out.  They should be the most learned team in the league, yet they repeatedly fail in the same fashion multiple times a season.  “A follow up to that response coach, you’ve said that after multiple close losses, yet the team continues to lose one score and over time games…so what exactly have you and or the team learned from the previous late game failures, and why have the on-field results not improved?”

I learned from last night's loss.  McD overextended himself by being the DC this year.  He did a great job here.  But it may be time for a change.  Lesson learned. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-haason-reddick-josh-sweat-say-bills-qb-josh-allen-lobbied-officials-flag-him-intentional-grounding/#:~:text=According to Reddick and fellow,on purpose%2C" Sweat said.

***** bull####.

What a classy bunch of #######s we just played, you almost forget how they took advantage of the refs not calling penalties to take shots at our players.

That's insane. They have too many concussions if they actually believe that.

They even point out that intentional grounding was worse than the sack and fumble recovery. it makes no sense if you think about it for two seconds.

The Bills were down to one timeout at the end of the fourth quarter after using one to get their defense called before the Eagles’ final offensive play of regulation, and another one to ice Eagles kicker Jake Elliott before he hit the game-tying 59-yard field goal. Asked why he didn’t save his timeouts for a final offensive drive, McDermott suggested that’s the kind of question people ask after a loss — but he also admitted he’s asking it of himself.

12 hours ago, Fallser said:

McDermotts refusal to stop playing squishy defense when the game is on the line has cost us numerous games. How can this still be happening after 13 seconds?

It’s not just the squishy defense. It’s that he also tends to blitz with soft coverage behind. It just gets picked apart and the 5-6 man rush never makes it home. 

42 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

THAT is ALL on the can’t count down from 13 or up to 12 McClapper!

There are ZERO mulligans or life lines left for that buffoon after the string of losses to this year’s clown franchises !

.NONE!

9 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

That's all true... But who would have thought guys like Benford, Bernard, Shakir, Milano, and even Dane Jackson would have contributed the way they have? The Bills will continue to get decent vets at a bargain rate... Good Drafts and cheap vets can solve all sorts of problems. I'm not saying Beane is capable of doing that in 2024... But it is do-able... And we still have Josh. 

I think the Bills will keep Poyer one more year and Hyde will retire,  if they get a new HC and new DC perhaps they can try with Elam or Benford at the safety position. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

Josh Allen’s Hero ball is not enough to take them to a championship.

Hero Ball is a losing proposition…

Just review Allen’s last passes in OT last night and a few of our other heartbreaking losses this season… 

For as often as he is poised in the clutch and delivers… Allen just as often chokes under the pressure of having to play Hero Ball… He’s only slightly better than average at it, imo…

Brady needs to call a full winning game of Boring Ball… and McD needs to field a late game D that doesn’t choke…

Fans will prefer wins to drama every time… if it produces post season play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Believer said:

Hero Ball is a losing proposition…

Just review Allen’s last passes in OT last night and a few of our other heartbreaking losses this season… 

For as often as he is poised in the clutch and delivers… Allen just as often chokes under the pressure of having to play Hero Ball… He’s only slightly better than average at it, imo…

Brady needs to call a full winning game of Boring Ball… and McD needs to field a late game D that doesn’t choke…

Fans will prefer wins to drama every time… if it produces post season play.

I’ll agree with a whole lot of that but when your offense gets you a lead in OT is it really too much to ask for the defense not to utterly collapse….again? Or for the Special Teams not to utterly collapse in OT in the Opener against the Jets? 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.