Explosion on Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls. Posted as a safety warning. Mods please

Chaos

Just now, EasternOHBillsFan said:

This is the problem with initial reports... hate not being in the know on the civilian side.

I don’t know for sure. But I know the bridge very well. From the pictures, it appears to be on the us side. Unless the car blew through the gates completely 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

I don’t know for sure. But I know the bridge very well. From the pictures, it appears to be on the us side. Unless the car blew through the gates completely 

Should have just waited and said "I don't know"... just a sad and frenetic situation.

The incident occurred shortly before noon when a car coming from the Canadian side of the border on the bridge connecting Canada to New York State went through the initial checkpoint passports and licenses are examined. The car was then was directed to another area for a secondary search, according to multiple law enforcement sources.

As the car was heading towards the secondary search area, an explosion occurred, the sources said. Authorities do not know what caused the explosion.

- CNN

5 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Based on reports so far, I think some moron was driving recklessly through the falls down Main (which happens quite often), swerved around a car at around 100 MPH, lost control, and went over/through the fence into the checkpoint area where it crashed and thus exploded. 

That seems most likely.

Seeing reports that it happened between a primary and secondary search area though.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna126397

The vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed when it hit the structure, caught on fire and exploded. An initial search did not find a secondary explosive or device, the law enforcement officials said, noting this was preliminary information. 

Authorities are investigating whether the crash was intentional.

11 minutes ago, Simon said:

The incident occurred shortly before noon when a car coming from the Canadian side of the border on the bridge connecting Canada to New York State went through the initial checkpoint passports and licenses are examined. The car was then was directed to another area for a secondary search, according to multiple law enforcement sources.

As the car was heading towards the secondary search area, an explosion occurred, the sources said. Authorities do not know what caused the explosion.

- CNN

That seems most likely.

Seeing reports that it happened between a primary and secondary search area though.

How is that possible when WGR has a firsthand eyewitness saying the car was coming down the street from the United States? 

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So from where was the car coming from? USA to Canada or Canada to USA? 

36 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Canada to USA

No, it looks like someone going the wrong way on what would normally be the US intake side.  Reports saying they saw a car going the wrong way at a high speed, and pictures show impact wreckage in the secondary inspection area in the direction of the booths.  Wreckage shows a wheel matching the turbine wheels from a Tesla Model Y.  Seems someone either got stopped at the border and sent in for an inspection where they tried to swing back around and race back in the direction they came from, or just someone making a break for the border in the wrong direction and exploded the Tesla in a high speed crash.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.