What is Your Recipe for Philly Cheese Steak — I Assume that is THE Obvious Game Meal

HIT BY SPIKES

For steak use the best deli roast beef you can get 

To clarify, you obviously cook it up with peppers, onions and mushrooms then melt the cheese of your choice right into it... Cheddar and swiss blend is our favorite. Mayo on the toasted roll 

We also add spinach to the mix, again cooked right in with everything 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

There was a bar here that served The Stinger, which was a steak sub with cut up chicken fingers doused in hot Country Sweet sauce and topped the whole thing with blue cheese. I believe it was named after the sting you felt in your chest after eating one.

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Success said:

Ribeye, provolone, caramelized onions, bread that's hard on the outside and squishy inside, mayo, hot cherry peppers and hot sauce.

That's the way.

Can't wait.

I have been making Phillies for awhile but never feel like I get the meat the way I want. So do you just cut it super thin? 

Anybody else have meat suggestions? I usually go with shaved beef.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

Ribeye, provolone, caramelized onions, bread that's hard on the outside and squishy inside, mayo, hot cherry peppers and hot sauce.

That's the way.

Can't wait.

This is close to right. 

Fried onions (a slightly different thing than carmelized onions).  And if you want the true Philly experience, you have to find a way to acquire some Amoroso rolls. Every top cheesesteak place in philly uses these.  They have some magically property. (Philadelphia is my second home my whole life. Almost my entire family still lives there. American Cheese or certain home made cheese whiz's are legit substitutes for provolone. note- the rib-eye should be shaved. 

https://www.amazon.com/Amorosos-Italian-Style-Hoagie-Rolls/dp/B0CJP6CLDS

91s15YMDXOL._SX679_PIbundle-3,TopRight,0,0_SX679SY699SH20_[1].jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Mikie2times said:

I have been making Phillies for awhile but never feel like I get the meat the way I want. So do you just cut it super thin? 

Ribeye just has great flavor. I almost never do it - but it's good to freeze it a little so you can cut it as thin as possible.  But yeah, thin is best.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is like advising someone to use steakums to make a beef on weck.

2 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Ask the butcher to slice a ribeye for steak sandwhichs.  Most butchers will do it correctly. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Success said:

That's the way.

Can't wait.

How about some mushrooms in there for good measure? I think the roll you want is ciabatta.

Mine is very similar:

Ribeye with salt pepper garlic powder, grilled, thin sliced then salted again after rest.

Ciabatta roll, garlic buttered and then browned on the grill.

Saute baby bella mushrooms and onions 

Add steak, mushrooms/onions bottom of grilled roll, melt and lightly brown cheese under broiler.

Add a light coat of Peter Lugers steak sauce to top of roll.

Combine and then eat until you feel like you are gonna throw up.

Edited by Tenhigh
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This is like advising someone to use steakums to make a beef on weck.

Not really...

A top quality roast beef sliced thin is perfect for a cheese steak 

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think it was Tops a few years back that sold Red Osier Roast Beef in the deli. I've made them with that before and they were outstanding. 

Exactly!  It's a roast chunk of beef! 

Unlike the frozen steak ums that are full of fat and grease and have no taste 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

A top quality roast beef sliced thin is perfect for a cheese steak 

this is just wrong. It may make for a wonderful sandwhich. You would not be able to sell it anywhere in or around philadelphia delaware or south jersey as a cheesesteak. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Success said:

That's the way.

Can't wait.

Bam!  End thread.

My only issue is I can't cut the ribeye thin enough.  Suggestions?

Edited by TailgateChef
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

Sometimes it's good to add fresh lettuce & tomato, too.  

In philly, this is equivalent of putting ranch dressing on wings in buffalo. 

Anyone looking for a good philly sandwhich alternative to a cheesesteak, the less well know philly italian pork sandwhich is also outstanding. 

https://thewoksoflife.com/italian-pork-sandwich-philly/

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

this is just wrong. It may make for a wonderful sandwhich. You would not be able to sell it anywhere in or around philadelphia delaware or south jersey as a cheesesteak. 

I take it, dice it up and cook with the veggies and cheese.

You're probably right about not being able to sell it in Philly, and I'm always open to learn a better recipe and improve! 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chaos said:

In philly, this is equivalent of putting ranch dressing on wings in buffalo. 

Anyone looking for a good philly sandwhich alternative to a cheesesteak, the less well know philly italian pork sandwhich is also outstanding. 

https://thewoksoflife.com/italian-pork-sandwich-philly/

Is that right? That's kind of funny.  I didn't realize that.

I usually go without the fresh veggies, but the tomato adds some nice acidity at times.

I've had that pork sammy.  Very memorable, but hard to find outside of that area.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Success said:

Is that right? That's kind of funny.  I didn't realize that.

I usually go without the fresh veggies, but the tomato adds some nice acidity at times.

I've had that pork sammy.  Very memorable, but hard to find outside of that area.

the cheesesteak is about as ubiquitous as buffalo wings.  which means their are many variations that stray so far away (often with good results) that they just become something different than a buffalo wing or a philly steak.  I grew up in the Binghamton NY area, with family in philly.  I never saw either a beef or weck in binghamton or a pork sandwich.  Even now both are pretty regional.   as an aside. the only really common alternative to cheesesteaks "with" or "without" referring to fried peppers, onions or mushrooms in philly historically is a "pizza steak" with pizza sauce and provolone. Not my favorite. But a lot of people like them. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

the cheesesteak is about as ubiquitous as buffalo wings.  which means their are many variations that stray so far away (often with good results) that they just become something different than a buffalo wing or a philly steak.  I grew up in the Binghamton NY area, with family in philly.  I never saw either a beef or weck in binghamton or a pork sandwich.  Even now both are pretty regional.   as an aside. the only really common alternative to cheesesteaks "with" or "without" referring to fried peppers, onions or mushrooms in philly historically is a "pizza steak" with pizza sauce and provolone. Not my favorite. But a lot of people like them. 

So what if we went ribeye, "with"

What's the cheese? 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I've had that pizza one too.  My wife is from that area, and makes them like that.

It's not BAD.  It's just something totally different.  Not my 1st choice.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TailgateChef said:

Bam!  End thread.

My only issue is I can't cut the ribeye thin enough.  Suggestions?

Freeze it some before you slice it

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

To clarify, you obviously cook it up with peppers, onions and mushrooms then melt the cheese of your choice right into it... Cheddar and swiss blend is our favorite. Mayo on the toasted roll 

We also add spinach to the mix, again cooked right in with everything 

There is so much wrong with this. To each their own, but almost no part of this is a Philly cheesesteak.

That said the cheesesteak is not the best sandwich here.  Roast pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe all day.

22 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I was planning on eating a bar of Philly Cream Cheese.

Put it on a stick, freeze it up, and just lick it like a psychopath. Love it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

So what if we went ribeye, "with"

What's the cheese? 

Ribeye is correct, it's shaved down super thin then chopped up on the flattop.  "wit" gets you fried onions.  Cheese you get some debate even here. American, provolone, or some places do whiz.  I don't care for the whiz. I generally prefer provolone wit. Tonight I had a good american wit.  I like the provolone flavor a little better to it but the American cheese gets really integrated into the sandwich in a way that provolone doesn't.  Whiz does that really well also, I just don't like Whiz.  I'd actually like to be present if you walk into a place and order one with swiss.  It will be comedic.

You don't see green peppers on cheesesteaks here, at least not often, and you have to ask for them specifically if you want them. It's not part of a "standard" cheesesteak order. Also, no lettuce or tomato or mayo or any of that.  Why would you want lettuce on a hot sandwich like that anyway? It's just going to wilt immediately.

As someone else stated the rolls matter a lot and they are hard to duplicate outside Philly.  Baking is chemistry and the water you use to make any dough matters a lot.  The specific mineral content, pH, etc. of the water in Philly municipal water will be different than somewhere else. The more different the water is the harder it is to reproduce a specific baked product. I know of places that import Philly water just to make rolls with.  Amoroso's you can get from the store and they are ok.  A lot of the shops use Liscio's and they are a little different.  You want something that is a little crusty but not hard so it stands up to the meat and the cheese. Too soft a roll will just disintegrate.  Sort of like a good kimmelweck roll is just a little bit crusty.  The grocery store Amoroso's that come in the plastic bags are softer than ideal, the shop delivered Amoroso's are better.  I'm going to guess that the dough is a little different because the ones in the store are expected to last on the shelf longer than the daily delivery ones.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

What kind of Steak?

What kind of Cheese?

What kind of Bread?

Condiments?

No. It's roast pork, rabe, and provolone.

Cheesesteak is for the tourists.

5 hours ago, Low Positive said:

Dinics roast pork sandwich was the best thing I ever eat. Better than any cheese steak.

This man understands 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

No. It's roast pork, rabe, and provolone.

Cheesesteak is for the tourists.

This man understands 

Pork is a fraction of the cost of beef up here.

You convinced me. 

I will do a pork roast, chill it and put it through my commercial quality meat slicer.

Plenty of good provolone here since like me the delis are all Italian close to me.

I haven't seen rabe recently but I am sure my Italian grocer has that.

DONE

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.