DORSEY FIRED, Joe Brady Interim OC

Process

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ive got some trivia for you:

1. POINTS PER GAME:
    1. How many points PPG did the Bills offense avg in the final 6 games under Dorsey?
    2. How many points PPG did the Bills offense avg in the first 6 games under Brady?
    3. ANSWER:  20 for Dorsey, 28 for Brady.  You know how hard it is to improve offensive scoring by 8 points?
  2. COMMON OPPONENT:  JETS
    1. How many PPG did offense avg vs Jets in Dorsey's tenure?  
    2. Who many Points did offense score in Brady's only game vs Jets?
    3. ANSWR:  17.5 PPG in 3 games for Dorsey going 1-2 with both losses to Zack Wilson.  32 Points for Brady with the starting offense sitting the majority of the 4th quarter in a blow out win.

You mention about the defense not holding in a couple of games, however, you overlook how decimated the defense was with injuries and the offense was perfectly healthy in those games.  YET the ONLY reason our D had to hold on a final drive was because our offense STUNK and couldn't score against some of the worst teams in the league.  

Dorsey was lucky to not be 0-6 in those final 6 games as we should have lost both the Giants game and Bucs games on the last plays, but those teams screwed it up.  Meanwhile, Brady led offense helped this team go 6-1 over the hardest stretch of games of our season while Dorsey was 2 plays away from being 0-6 against the SOFTEST portion of our schedule.  

Brady still has a lot to prove, but there is NO QUESTION that Dorsey EARNED his firing and the team has been BETTER off with Brady at OC.  

How many points did the offense score against the Dolphin defense yesterday that was missing many of their most important players?

Answer 14

How many points did we score against the Dolphin defense when Dorsey was the OC earlier in the season?

Answer 48

What was our average points scored in the 10 games under Dorsey?

Answer 25.6

What was the average points scored in the 6 games after Dorsey?

Answer 25.14

Hmmm

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

6-1. 

Points scored in that stretch:

2 seed. AFCE champs.  Bills rolling.

Thanks Brady. 

See ya Kenny.

See above.

P.S. The offense scored 14 points yesterday. Did you watch the game?

You guys are embarrassing yourselves with your agenda against Dorsey. I thought about posting to both you guys last night that under Dorsey we scored 48 against the Dolphins and only 14 yesterday against a Dolphin defense that was missing several critical players. I decided to be graceful and let you guys and all of us enjoy the win.

You guys reveal more about yourselves in persisting with your agenda against the guy that was the OC of the second best offense in the NFL last year and did not deserve to be thrown under the bus by McD.

I know how much you guys love to argue and get the last word in. You guys can say whatever you want in response. I am not going to continue to argue with you. Life is too short.

In the meantime, I am going to enjoy the win and look forward to next week.

God bless. 

Edited by Peter
o
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1

45 minutes ago, Peter said:

How many points did the offense score against the Dolphin defense yesterday that was missing many of their most important players?

Answer 14

How many points did we score against the Dolphin defense when Dorsey was the OC earlier in the season?

Answer 48

Answer 25.6

Answer 25.14

Hmmm

See above.

You guys are embarrassing yourselves with your agenda against Dorsey. I thought about posting to both you guys last night that under Dorsey we scored 48 against the Dolphins and only 14 yesterday against a Dolphin defense that was missing several critical players. I decided to be graceful and let you guys and all of us enjoy the win.

You guys reveal more about yourselves in persisting with your agenda against the guy that was the OC of the second best offense in the NFL last year and did not deserve to be thrown under the bus by McD.

I know how much you guys love to argue and get the last word in. You guys can say whatever you want in response. I am not going to continue to argue with you. Life is too short.

God bless. 

I don't agree with the personal attacks on brethren mafia.

But I do agree that Brady hasn't been an obvious improvement as OC.  It's been good to see more players involved in the offense.  But our overall production remains about the same.  

I thought firing Dorsey was the right move, but let's be honest the real improvement in the team since then has been the defense. They went from being literally the worst defense in the league by some metrics to being a top 8 defense. They went from stopping nobody on end of game drives to stopping everybody. That is the difference these past five weeks, full stop. The passing offense if anything has been noticeably worse and the run offense has fallen off badly after one amazing game.

I'm still not fully convinced Brady is the long term answer, but the real solution is that we need to start investing in top tier offensive players. No more free agent dumpster diving. Surround Josh with elite weapons and let the defensive head coach manage with more limited resources.

• Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

Thread didn't age well for the majority of posters. Throwing Dorsey out on his ass was the season saver, even though they waited way to long to do it.

No it wasn’t. Had zero impact. Offense was better with Dorsey. What did save the season was the moves made by Brandon Beane and McDermott getting the defense back on track.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No it wasn’t. Had zero impact. Offense was better with Dorsey. What did save the season was the moves made by Brandon Beane and McDermott getting the defense back on track.

Lol. 

• Eyeroll 1

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I thought firing Dorsey was the right move, but let's be honest the real improvement in the team since then has been the defense. They went from being literally the worst defense in the league by some metrics to being a top 8 defense. They went from stopping nobody on end of game drives to stopping everybody. That is the difference these past five weeks, full stop. The passing offense if anything has been noticeably worse and the run offense has fallen off badly after one amazing game.

I'm still not fully convinced Brady is the long term answer, but the real solution is that we need to start investing in top tier offensive players. No more free agent dumpster diving. Surround Josh with elite weapons and let the defensive head coach manage with more limited resources.

Well stated.

In general, it may seem a lateral move.  But Brady's stuck with Dorsey's system this season.  The biggest change I've noticed is that Brady actually makes adjustments, while Dorsey would keep shotgun-drawing into a brick wall.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I have no stats to back this up, but I would say there have been more sustained, clock eating  drives since Brady took over and there has been a little more emphasis on the run game. Defense gets a little more time on the sideline. 

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Answer 14

Answer 48

Answer 25.6

Answer 25.14

Hmmm

See above.

God bless. 

I can’t believe you’re still defending Dorsey.  You are either Dorsey or related to Dorsey.  There is no other explanation.  Seriously.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, The Red King said:

In general, it may seem a lateral move.  But Brady's stuck with Dorsey's system this season.  The biggest change I've noticed is that Brady actually makes adjustments, while Dorsey would keep shotgun-drawing into a brick wall.

Playing complimentary football. 

27 minutes ago, Zag20 said:

I have no stats to back this up, but I would say there have been more sustained, clock eating  drives since Brady took over and there has been a little more emphasis on the run game. Defense gets a little more time on the sideline. 

Joe Brady is game planning and play calling a more ball control, sustainable Offense. NFL evolves, Defenses were already giving the Daboll O problems before his departure.  One dimensional, virtually no threat of a run game that's not Josh Allen.

This team is much more balanced on O and harder to beat under Joe Brady IMO. 500 team before the Dorsey Departure.  Winning 5 out of 6 going down the stretch through the hardest part of the schedule under Brady. Well rested high motor Bills D with half its starters gone. 

Edited by Figster

I think it’s possible for both firing Dorsey to be the right move, while also hiring Brady not to be the right one, long term.

We’ve obviously been on a good run results wise and the offence has been more balanced in terms of run/pass.

But we’ve not blown anyone out really, our stud #1 receiver hasn’t had a 100 yard game in the stretch, and our #2 receiver has had what, 3 or 4 of those games with zero receptions. 

kincaid overall has also been worse under Brady.

on the flip side, Cook has obviously had a huge uptick and Shakir seems to be making his move.

his numbers in his previous OC posts suggest that what we’re seeing is his norm. His offences historically have not put up huge points, and it seems even with the weapons he has here, that’s the same again.

I’m not sure what the future holds, but I’d like the Bills to at least explore alternatives rather than default hand it to Brady.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BritishBill said:

I think it’s possible for both firing Dorsey to be the right move, while also hiring Brady not to be the right one, long term.

We’ve obviously been on a good run results wise and the offence has been more balanced in terms of run/pass.

But we’ve not blown anyone out really, our stud #1 receiver hasn’t had a 100 yard game in the stretch, and our #2 receiver has had what, 3 or 4 of those games with zero receptions. 

on the flip side, Cook has obviously had a huge uptick and Shakir seems to be making his move.

his numbers in his previous OC posts suggest that what we’re seeing is his norm. His offences historically have not put up huge points, and it seems even with the weapons he has here, that’s the same again.

I’m not sure what the future holds, but I’d like the Bills to at least explore alternatives rather than default hand it to Brady.

Fitzmagic, If thats you,

You got my attention

Seriously, the way Joe Brady has Allen actually checking the ball down because he knows how well it works. Its something both Daboll and Dorsey had problems with IMO. Myself personally, I'm interested in seeing what Brady can do with an Offseason to tweak the O. I think the mans got some innovative skills of his own. Along with a QB that can execute any play. Throw anywhere on the field.

Edited by Figster

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think the final 5 or 6 games the offense had collapsed under Dorsey. His "keep it simple and out execute them" approach had left us predictable and easily stoppable. While I accept the offense hasn't been perfect under Brady, and some of the issues that plagued Dorsey at the end remain (execution errors) Brady has done a better job at at creating plays with formation, motion and leverage. So taken from where they ended with Dorsey the offense is better and it has helped the D too by giving them more of a break. You go to some of those mid-season games and we were 3 and outting at an alarming rate. 

However, you are right the defense is the key. The middle of the season post the 3 big injuries the Bills were really struggling to work stuff out. McDermott looked out of ideas short of send the house every play and our execution was sloppy. They have turned it around. Even pre-bye in Philly I thought the defense was very good. They ultimately got beat by some really talented individuals making some high level plays late on. But schematically and playcalling the Bills won that battle even in defeat. Since the bye the defensive plans have been really good. Even on Sunday when they struggled early to get a beat on the pitch motion they adjusted 2nd half and shut the game down. 

In terms of future investment they definitely need to keep adding to the offense and I have long argued that the area where they need to make savings is the defensive line. They can't sustain an 8 or 9 man rotation where everyone is either a vet on a nice contract or a day 1 or 2 pick. Justin Zimmer is the only time I can remember them really living with a guy who gave them cheap production (suppose Shaq might qualify but he is very much the 9th guy of 9) and they need to be able to find another of those types.... draft a couple of DL prospects with all those 6th and 7th round picks we have... and divert that extra money to offense. That said they will need to bring in at least one premium DL and one premium safety somewhere this offseason. Whether that is through FA or an early pick. But they must also address wide receiver in that way. My strong view remains that should be their priority in round 1 (as I have thought it should have been the last two years) their issue in a really strong class is going to be how late are they drafting and who gets to them. What I really think they need is a guy who can be a #2 in 2024 but eventually has #1 upside. I slightly worry that the guys who fit that profile might be gone and you might be left with picking a proper #2 receiver type, which still is a need and particularly if we are picking later 20s might still represent some value.

My ideal approach to this offseason is that they find a starting safety in free agency (I have my eye on Kamren Curl he would be absolutely perfect for this scheme and like Poyer and Hyde can play both center field and in the box) and that allows them to go WR and DL with their first two picks and then gives them the flexibility to target an offensive tackle in the 3rd / 4th because while Dawkins has had a very good year, and Brown his best year as a pro my long term concerns about Dion's viability as a tackle into his 30s with weight issues and the fact that Brown is a pending FA after 2024 means that is a position they would be well served to have some stock in the cupboard.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I'm honestly curious what kind of full offensive scheme Brady would implement given an off-season to do so.  Remember that in the end he's still stuck running Dorsey's scheme this season.  What we're seeing now might not be anything like next season.

13 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I'm honestly curious what kind of full offensive scheme Brady would implement given an off-season to do so.  Remember that in the end he's still stuck running Dorsey's scheme this season.  What we're seeing now might not be anything like next season.

Yep, very true. Interestingly Brady's history is as a spread guy really. If anyone had more background in under centre / traditional pro-style concepts it was Dorsey. Yet Brady has used a bit more under centre than Dorsey did. I feel like he has also used more empty backfield than Dorsey though and when Josh was humming with Dabes back in 2020 I always felt like he really revelled in that empty backfield, 5 wide type set. The Bills were forced to go away from that in 2021 and 2022 because their oline was sooo bad. Now they are back to a 2020 like, pretty steady, offensive line I would think there is more scope for the empty stuff to come back in. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Red King said:

Also, I think a huge difference is in demeanor and the way the respective coaches' have handled the players.

I always attributed Josh's being "dialed back" under Dorsey to mandates from McD about not putting the ball in harm's way, etc. Same with Cook's benching for the first half of the Denver game because of the fumble on the first offensive play of the game. However, in the Jets game (Brady's first game as OC) we hear Josh exclaim, "I'm back!" -- and in all the games since it really does seem like Josh has been playing like his old self (both the good and the bad, as we saw in the Miami game). Also a couple of weeks back, the broadcasters alluded to a comment from Cook regarding Brady: Cook said was relieved not to have been "disciplined" after dropping that potential TD pass against Philly. Same thing Sunday night, even after dropping the TD pass against Miami, Brady showed faith in going back to Cook. By implication, it would seem that benching Cook in the Denver game was Dorsey's doing, not McD's.

It just seems like under Dorsey, the players were possibly over-coached to the point of worrying too much about making mistakes -- whereas under Brady they have been much more loose and comfortable.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, NoSaint said:

saints were a much worse team top to bottom and side to side. Talent on the field and in the coaching ranks were major issues. I don’t think it was just Carmichael- though I think Carmichael was awful.

its not a great comparison. 

I agree with you in principle, but they did face objectively worse competition. Maybe it would have helped them fluke into a Wild Card Round beatdown

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

Very much. The system Brady was part of with Burrow ran heavy 3 WR IIRC.

The biggest change hasn't been with the structure, or even with the types of plays called so much as a better feel for the situation in calling them. 

It's really a question whether next season is adding wrinkles to what was in place or starting over from scratch

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BritishBill said:

It would probably be awkward, but I hope McD finds an OC better than Brady and Brady reverts to being the QB coach.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

It would probably be awkward, but I hope McD finds an OC better than Brady and Brady reverts to being the QB coach.  

If we bring in an outside OC, Brady will have an OC job somewhere else that day.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If we bring in an outside OC, Brady will have an OC job somewhere else that day.

You think so?   What has he done?  

I guess it depends on our playoff run.  But his 1/2 season experience as an OC without moving the needle much on total yards gained or points scored doesn't seem enough to make him the belle of the ball.  

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

I guess it depends on our playoff run.  But his 1/2 season experience as an OC without moving the needle much on total yards gained or points scored doesn't seem enough to make him the belle of the ball.  

Points scored definitely jumped up. We went from barely being able to score 20 points, and 0 in first halves, to multiple 30 point games. And we're far more consistent.

He has better prior experience than any of the other "up and coming" candidates.

Short of finding a fired, offensive Head Coach who is willing to step down I'd say Brady is the hottest OC candidate out there. What other QB coaches or Offensive assistants are primed for a promotion?

Agreed, what we do in the playoffs will definitely decide his fate in Buffalo and as an OC candidate around the league.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Short of finding a fired, offensive Head Coach who is willing to step down I'd say Brady is the hottest OC candidate out there. What other QB coaches or Offensive assistants are primed for a promotion?

Ben Johnson is clearly the most sought after OC this season and has interviews already lined up. Bobby Slowik isn't far behind.

Just now, QCity said:

Ben Johnson is clearly the most sought after OC this season and has interviews already lined up. Bobby Slowik isn't far behind.

Those are OCs who are hot for HC positions.

Who are the hot candidates for an OC position? A bunch of first-time playcallers or failed HCs. Blech.

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't think so.  They all know he has Allen, so they will also take into account his time in Carolina.

Which is tempered by Matt Rhule who gets most of the blame for the failing in Carolina.

For real tho. Who else is out there for OC?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Who are the hot candidates for an OC position? A bunch of first-time playcallers or failed HCs. Blech.

Which is tempered by Matt Rhule who gets most of the blame for the failing in Carolina.

Not sure yet, and it's too early to guess.

38 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Not sure yet, and it's too early to guess.

Kinda my point. There are no other known names to be promoted to OC like Joe Brady.

We know plenty of candidates for HC, not too early to guess there.

edit:

If we start in the usual place, Kyle Shanahan's tree, he does have Klint Kubiak (Gary's son) and Brian Griese on staff that could be promoted to full OC.

In LA with McVay you have Zac Robinson as Passing Coordinator/QB Coach.

Dallas has Scott Tolzien as QB Coach.

I'll keep looking but not exactly a ton of tough competition for Brady's experience.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Brady is the man! He is our OC moving forward and you can bank on it.

5-1 in his tenure as Interim OC. The one loss being an OT loss in a rainstorm on the road to the Eagles. We scored over 30 points. It was his first game.

He has put his stamp on this O with power running and the use of RB in the pass game.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Tee Martin who the Bills interviewed before hiring Ken Dorsey two years ago. Was then the Baltimore WR coach, moved this year to QB coach and respected for his work with Lamar. Expect him to get a ton of OC interest. 

Klint Kubiak son of Gary, called plays a bit in Denver last year, been on the 49ers staff this year. 

Eric Bieniemy, probably not a HC candidate this year but did a decent job with Sam Howell all the same and the Commanders are clearing house. 

Jason Vrable, no relation to Mike, done a hell of a job with that young receiver corps in Green Bay this year. Also passing game coordinator, said to really be able to relate to players. 

They are the other names I'd expect to see. But you are right. Joe Brady won't be anyone's QB coach next year. He will be an OC in Buffalo or elsewhere. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's pretty much where I am. I am not against letting a college coach try in principle. For instance, Daboll got his time as a playcaller at Alabama. But realistically, if they are a successful OC who isn't getting a head coaching nod why are they coming to us?

Maybe there is some toxic situation, but even our options are likely Brady (who knows our players and tendencies, is already in the building), OC in contentious relationship in current position, OCs who didn't get the HC job and burned their bridges, outside assistant coaches, or college coaches.

I'm not saying that the Bills should necessarily rubber stamp Brady. See what is out there. Hear some concepts. But it's hard for me to expect that we are getting much better than Brady (who previously had HC rumblings)

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Brady is the man! He is our OC moving forward and you can bank on it.

5-1 in his tenure as Interim OC. The one loss being an OT loss in a rainstorm on the road to the Eagles. We scored over 30 points. It was his first game.

He has put his stamp on this O with power running and the use of RB in the pass game.

I thought Jets was his first game as it's the game after Denver. Point still stands, we scored over 30 points in his first game and looked like the Bills of 2021 again.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Brady has won every game hes coached for Buffalo ( OC ) except 1 vs Eagles and should have won it. Playing Complimentary ball control football and keeping our high motor D well rested. 

This stat argument means nothing when you can't beat the better DC's in the league. A ball control O gives you long sustained drives. Naturally it brings the score down.

Edited by Figster

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

He was already high on lists as a potential OC. He either remains ours or he will be the OC in another city within a week

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Points scored definitely jumped up. We went from barely being able to score 20 points, and 0 in first halves, to multiple 30 point games. And we're far more consistent.

He has better prior experience than any of the other "up and coming" candidates.

Agreed, what we do in the playoffs will definitely decide his fate in Buffalo and as an OC candidate around the league.

When it comes to points scored, it depends on your frame of reference.  We had some big offensive games under Dorsey, including 3 of our 4 first opponents.  The O went flat after that.  I don't miss Dorsey.  I just don't know if Brady is The Guy.  

I'd like to see us find a better OC than Brady but I recognize that the best offensive minds already have OC and HC jobs. 

If we do keep Brady as OC next year, I hope we surround him with great minds. The best position coaches are guys who teach and motivate their players to consistently execute at a high level.  They're not necessarily good X-and-O guys.  I think we mostly have good position coaches (minus the fact we currently lack a QB coach).  But we also need good scheme guys on staff - coaches who excel at the tactics of NFL football - to help Brady dissect tape and game plan.  

At least that's how it seems to me, a simple fan without any behind-closed-doors knowledge.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

the difference to me, and it's not huge, is that brady has drives stalled w penalties and bad execution and somehow finds a way to overcome late (NE, miami, chargers).

dorseys stuff looked bad in games (giants, Jags, denver, TB) and really just didn't correct course it seemed like.

now, given brady came in late and is picking up from dorsey, i give him a higher grade (marked on a curve i'd say).

one other item to note, we've tended to have the ball in our hands late in games we had leads in.  NE, Miami, and a few others.  not desperation stuff, but we had a chance to score again if we needed to, and i think we would have more often than not.

either way, he's got 2 home playoff games, just like dorsey did last season, so we will see what he can scheme up.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Kinda my point. There are no other known names to be promoted to OC like Joe Brady.

We know plenty of candidates for HC, not too early to guess there.

edit:

If we start in the usual place, Kyle Shanahan's tree, he does have Klint Kubiak (Gary's son) and Brian Griese on staff that could be promoted to full OC.

In LA with McVay you have Zac Robinson as Passing Coordinator/QB Coach.

Dallas has Scott Tolzien as QB Coach.

I'll keep looking but not exactly a ton of tough competition for Brady's experience.

I think Josh would thrive in a Shanahan style offense, and I hope whoever the next coordinator is will be able to get the best out of Josh, because that's what it's all about at this point. I just don't think the offense we currently have suits Josh the best.

• Disagree 2

Brady is the better OC than Dorsey for this team, and that is pretty indisputable despite some peoples best efforts.  

BUT that does not mean Brady is owed the OC job full time next year either.  The offense hasn't been clicking on all cylinders the last 3 games where we have squeaked out wins against teams we should have blown out.  Winning is all that matters, but when it comes to removing the interim tag, how his unit performs also matters.  

Brady obviously has earned consideration for the job full time, but he hasn't "earned" the job yet IMHO.  How he and the offense fare in the postseason I think will play a big part on whether he remains or they look to hire someone else.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Brady is the better OC than Dorsey for this team, and that is pretty indisputable despite some peoples best efforts.  

BUT that does not mean Brady is owed the OC job full time next year either.  The offense hasn't been clicking on all cylinders the last 3 games where we have squeaked out wins against teams we should have blown out.  Winning is all that matters, but when it comes to removing the interim tag, how his unit performs also matters.  

Brady obviously has earned consideration for the job full time, but he hasn't "earned" the job yet IMHO.  How he and the offense fare in the postseason I think will play a big part on whether he remains or they look to hire someone else.  

Agree, but the point I think some of us are making is that not many successful proven OCs are footloose and fancy free at the moment (because usually really good OCs are on playoff teams), and those who are free or are becoming available after this weekend likely going to be picked over first by the teams that just fired their HCs. 

There are other avenues: if there is a toxic situation under one head coach, or a fired head coach (Reich) or assistant (Brady), or a retread, or some college mind that blows you away.

But because of the insane demand to get the next Shannahan or McVay you are seeing OCs get chances to run teams they are not ready for and they are snatched up way too soon. We can look, and we should, but I temper my expectations that we'll find someone who can present a better plan than someone who has actually worked and had success with the players we have right now.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.