What is on Your Menu for Monday Night’s Broncos Game — I have had it & Refuse to Eat Horse

HIT BY SPIKES

5 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Have you really eaten horsemeat?

Yup.

A couple of times when I was young. 

I don't like it.

Very grainy and chewy.

I prefer moose and my late Father shot a few of them so I ate it often as I was growing up.

After he had not shot a moose in a number of years, a cousin tried to pass off horse as moose to her guests by saying it was the moose my Father shot..

We will remember.

Never again.

1 hour ago, Gary Marangi said:

A big helping of sleep. Start work at 6am

Peasant!!!

7 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Cowboy Steaks?

Denver Sandwiches?

You know what's funny, there's no consensus on how the city of Buffalo got it's name.

One of the theories is that during one brutal winter, some Frenchmen that were amongst the original Europeans in the area said they were headed out to hunt Buffalo. 

Apparently their whole camp was starving and freezing... And they just went around the corner, killed a horse, cut up the meat... Brought it back and said they got themselves a Buffalo. 

Who knows for sure, but lying about horse meat may be the reason it was named Buffalo, NY.

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

A steaming plate of ambivalence will sit in front of me during the game:

1. My instinct as a Bills fan since about 1996 is to always root for them and hope for the best.

2. My instinct as a Bills fan who has lost faith in this staff is that macro changes are required to salvage the second half of Allen's prime and this team needs to do much worse than expected to force Pegula to make those changes.

Similar to teams in QB limbo, I'm not sure getting 9 or 10 wins now is good for this team. I could be wrong but I think implosion (option 2) might be better for this team in the long run. Pegula needs to see hordes of fans with pitchforks and a consensus in the national media that this team is done in order to make big changes...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

Denver is famous for green chili:

La_Loma_Pics_087_c4042149-4c7c-42fc-8612

coloradogreenchili-560wm.jpg

Perfect. I was about to post the same. I made it twice while hatch chilies were in season and I have a big bag I roasted in my freezer for when I want to make it this winter. Absolutely delicious!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Perfect. I was about to post the same. I made it twice while hatch chilies were in season and I have a big bag I roasted in my freezer for when I want to make it this winter. Absolutely delicious!

Sounds yummy, especially since it's getting colder! But even hatch chilies are too spicy for me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyd415 said:

As a native Quaker Stater they are and should only be called Cheesesteaks, just like “Buffalo wings” are and should only be called Wings!

But if it’s a horse meat sandwich, the “filly” has a different meaning 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Motorin' said:

You know what's funny, there's no consensus on how the city of Buffalo got it's name.

One of the theories is that during one brutal winter, some Frenchmen that were amongst the original Europeans in the area said they were headed out to hunt Buffalo. 

Apparently their whole camp was starving and freezing... And they just went around the corner, killed a horse, cut up the meat... Brought it back and said they got themselves a Buffalo. 

Who knows for sure, but lying about horse meat may be the reason it was named Buffalo, NY.

Thought Buffalo got its name from the French term “beau flux”.

Supposedly, when the French were in the area that’s how they described the Niagara River, it stuck, and when the British arrived they interpreted as being Buffalo. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Supposedly, when the French were in the area that’s how they described the Niagara River, it stuck, and when the British arrived they interpreted as being Buffalo. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I thought that too, but recently discovered there is no certainty or consensus amongst historians..

And that the horse meat / Buffalo fib is one possibility there is some evidence for. 

As is a theory that the documented name of native chief that lived on the Buffalo River had the name in the native tongue for "Buffalo" because he looked like a big hairy Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, chongli said:

Sounds yummy, especially since it's getting colder! But even hatch chilies are too spicy for me.

That is a shame. FWIW if you take out the ribs and seeds, then roast the hatch chilis they have almost no heat at all. My recipe adds other spices for heat. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That is a shame. FWIW if you take out the ribs and seeds, then roast the hatch chilis they have almost no heat at all. My recipe adds other spices for heat. 

Nice! I am going to try that next time (on these and also Anaheim),

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, chongli said:

Nice! I am going to try that next time (on these and also Anaheim),

Here is the recipe I have used, except I used Hatch instead of Anaheim chiles. It’s an America’s Test Kitchen recipe (subscription required), but I found a public copy. In case you are not aware, the hottest part of peppers is the ribs. Seeds are second hottest. So if you don’t like heat get all of the ribs out along with the seeds. 

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/2017/08/01/colorado-green-chili

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Here is the recipe I have used, except I used Hatch instead of Anaheim chiles. It’s an America’s Test Kitchen recipe (subscription required), but I found a public copy. In case you are not aware, the hottest part of peppers is the ribs. Seeds are second hottest. So if you don’t like heat get all of the ribs out along with the seeds. 

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/2017/08/01/colorado-green-chili

I did not know what a rib of a pepper was. Now I do!

jalapeno-anatomy.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I know some of you are salivating for some Rocky Mountain Oysters. I think I'll be going with some nice chicken parmesan, myself though 

There's a butcher by me that sells them.  Was just looking at them the other day and all I could think was if this is the size of the oyster, how large was the rest that went with it?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

I thought that theory was that it was from “beau fleuve” which means beautiful river. 

PS I’m gonna make loaded potato skins. Not sure if that’s native to Denver but feels like it could be.

PPS I had a horse steak once too, in France. I didn’t think it was too bad, like a chewy steak. But I was a lot more adventurous at 25.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, schoolhouserock said:

Something with extra refried beans. Call it “Let’s Ride Refried”. I can stink up the place along with the team.

I made a big batch of homemade Broccoli & Cheese Soup for an old widowed Vet named Peter that I befriended at my local Legion today and the one bowl I ate myself today has resulted in such flatulence that the paint is peeling off my bedroom walls right now.

I may have put too many onions in the initial flavour base or it could have been the combination of the Draught Beer I drank at the Legion today.

Wife left the bedroom and is now sleeping in the spare bedroom.

Oops!!!

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.