The Stadium Wall gives me solace

Dan Darragh

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Haha I love how the lead up to the game around here was ‘the bucs defense is actually good we will probably lose the game’ and then there was a meltdown anyway because we made some mistakes despite winning the game fairly comfortably 

The last play of the game turned into a virtual 50/50 chance.  Far from

comfortable

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I cannot disagree more strongly lol the only receiver in the area literally had no idea where the ball was.  The way people are talking about this is such a ridiculous exaggeration from how it actually played out.  
there was a 0% chance that ball was getting caught. Godwin was likely not the initial target on that play and the pass rush/some defensive traffic prevented him from getting to his spot in time so he was completely turned around …the ball was likely supposed to hit a receiver closer to the start of the end zone and Godwin was camping out to catch a tipped ball. 

Wait, and I'm not even kidding. I didn't know there was a specific target on a Hail Mary. Always seemed to me that that is the definition of a Hail Mary. You're throwing the ball up hoping anyone on your team catches it. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Casey D said:

There are a lot of whiners on the board.  I think they have been spoiled and have developed a sense of entitlement since 2019.  But I guess that is America in 2023.  Good thing this generation will not have to fight Nazi Germany, or we likely would all be speaking German.  The Greatest Generation--NOT.

Nonsense they would move to Switzerland when they were not making money selling to Germans.

I have no problem with fans being critical of the team.  The "hyper-critical" fans can get me upset at times, but I can live with that too.

There are many times every game I find myself saying, "What the hell are they doing!"

What gets me (especially during the GDTs) are the posters who take pure pleasure in any negative play.  What seems to happen next is

the "misery loves company" bandwagon jumping that ensues.  It's mindboggling how many seem to enjoy this.  I can only assume that

these posters are trolls, fans of other teams, embittered Buffalo Bills fans from the past or just people wanting to spread misery to others.

I tend to avoid these types of people in the "real" world and thankfully have the "ignore" function to avoid them here.

Buffalo Bills football has been entertainment for me for many, many, many decades and I like to share that with family, friends and other

like-minded fans.  I also don't like being around people in a movie theater bitching about a movie they don't like.  If you don't like something,

you don't have to watch, but at least have some courtesy to the other who do.  This seems to be lacking in today's "it's all about me" world.

If you are a person who agrees with me, take heart.  There are way more of us than them.

If you are a person who doesn't like what I just said, no problem.  You too can eventually join the others (and probably yourself under

another username) on my ignore list or simply put me on yours.  One thing for certain is I won't let them ruin my time on this site.

As always, Go Bills! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Here's our's from 1981.

Roland Hooks:

https://youtu.be/6XJNNLuwNMw?si=YahXfnm1tH81E7gV

Pretty clean play in 1981.  Not like today where everyone is getting mugged on both sides of ball!

I remember that play!  Awesome.

8 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Did you even experience Henry Jones Ben Coates, bro? 😪

That just proves the point.  Things that happen every 30 years are not common.  Likely more than 100-1

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I was 13. Caught it in the basement on the radio! Never forget it!!

I was in law school in DC and listened to part of the game over the phone with my Dad.  Hung up depressed earlier because the game seemed over.  Dad calls me back and all I hear on radio is massive crowd noise.  I may have cried!  🙂

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That’s certainly debatable at least and I can understand the other side of it…the way the second half went down I don’t personally see how the bucs could’ve scored two tds without hitting an obscenely unlikely deep Hail Mary attempt so I’d personally call that fairly comfortable but I could see why others would not

a desperation last second play is how a lot of games end for a team that is controlling the game 

I never really felt that the game was in jeopardy but the more it went on,  the more ridiculous it became.   It went from a 10-10 game, to a game we controlled, to are you kidding there's a chance we could lose.

That's where the unsettling sentiment is coming from.   It should have been a ho hum, we're beating a team we should,  to we're a problematic team again. 

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

I never really felt that the game was in jeopardy but the more it went on,  the more ridiculous it became.   It went from a 10-10 game, to a game we controlled, to are you kidding there's a chance we could lose.

That's where the unsettling sentiment is coming from.   It should have been a ho hum, we're beating a team we should,  to we're a problematic team again. 

Agree, but TB had to have numerous lucky things happen to get to a point where they had a Hail Mary chance to win.  Multiple penalties on Bills-- at least two questionable ones-- balls deflected but landing in arms of TB receivers etc.  It just seemed so Billsy, but as I wrote earlier TB was effectively trying to draw an inside straight.  So I don't think it makes the Bills a problematic team other than they ran into lots of bad luck calls in the last 10 minutes.

11 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I totally get that…to me personally the bucs making it a game felt quite fluky and it wasn’t really ‘earned’ if that makes sense?  Like I wouldn’t expect balls to be bouncing straight to our opponent all game/qbs miraculously keeping their knee off the dirt on pretty much guaranteed safeties every week if we are trying to extrapolate yesterdays outcome to future games. Baker did some superhuman sh*t to keep drives alive late and they got every break imaginable and still the closest they came was a Hail Mary that no receiver even really tracked is the flip side of the argument. 

also there’s no way we get that conservative with punts against a top offense, McDermott has been aggressive in those situations before so a lot of that decision making was bucs specific which is how it should be 

im hoping we don’t see that goal line shotgun run again after the blowback last night too but you never know 😂. I have more confidence that we’re not gonna go out and beat our heads against the wall trying the same things over and over after last night which is the first time I’ve had that rosy feeling in awhile lol

if anyone’s saying…look how we played last night were def gonna beat the bengals and chiefs though I’d strongly disagree with that..  I think we’re back in the ‘it’s close to a coin flip’ scenario from ‘it’s a certain loss’ though 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

13 minutes ago, skibum said:

Actually, it's hard to tell it was a win if you read all the whining and hand-wringing in here today. 

I could see it more if those late 8 points from the bucs weren’t pretty much dumb luck lol I do get where the negativity is coming from though but that was a pretty freak occurrence.

a tipped ball on your side goes for an int but multiple 4th down penalties and two tipped balls in a row lead to points for the opponent id love to see what the odds on that are 😂 

phillips is an idiot but that play def should’ve been blown dead…a penalty by rule for sure but the corniest most inconsequential facemask of all time 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Maybe it was all the late night, weekday Hayburners last night, but I am a bit shocked at how negative the board is today. And I am a guy who participates in a lot of negative threads. 

Some things I would like back, particularly the goal line play calls. But a lot of my complaints the last few weeks were improved on last night. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Agree, but TB had to have numerous lucky things happen to get to a point where they had a Hail Mary chance to win.  Multiple penalties on Bills-- at least two questionable ones-- balls deflected but landing in arms of TB receivers etc.  It just seemed so Billsy, but as I wrote earlier TB was effectively trying to draw an inside straight.  So I don't think it makes the Bills a problematic team other than they ran into lots of bad luck calls in the last 10 minutes.

My point was,  it went from comfortably handling a team to uncomfortable and pretty disappointing.  Leaving me feeling we haven't worked out our issues.

6 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

We play the Bengals, Eagles, Chiefs, Cowboys and Dolphins, Eddie.

Not yesterday, Larry.

6 minutes ago, White Linen said:

My point was,  it went from comfortably handling a team to uncomfortable and pretty disappointing.  Leaving me feeling we haven't worked out our issues.

We just disagree then.  If not for the ticky tack contact call on Johnson or the meaningless face mask by Phillips, or the bounce off Benford's head into Evan's hands or the deflected 2 point try, it would not have been close.

3 hours ago, Casey D said:

So it happens every 25 years.  Like being hit by a meteor I would guess.

2 hours ago, Casey D said:

Don't know.  I would guess 1 or 2 at most.

1 hour ago, Casey D said:

That just proves the point.  Things that happen every 30 years are not common.  Likely more than 100-1

You're all over the place with this.  

1-2 Hail Marys per year (in your estimation), over 25 seasons (2023-1998 = 25, not 30) = more than 100-1 odds = odds of being struck by a meteor?

I'm inclined to believe that we did not face as many game-ending Hail Marys as you estimate, but that's another discussion

1 minute ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

You're all over the place with this.  

1-2 Hail Marys per year (in your estimation), over 25 seasons (2023-1998 = 25, not 30) = more than 100-1 odds = odds of being struck by a meteor?

I'm inclined to believe that we did not face as many game-ending Hail Marys as you estimate, but that's another discussion

I understood you to ask how many Hail Marys were attempted per year against the Bills, not successful Hail Marys.  Only successful one I can remember in recent years was the Hail Murray.  My bad if I misunderstood you.

So it happens every 25 years.  Like being hit by a meteor I would guess.

I've spent 60 years on this planet and I've never been hit by a meteor. I guess I beat the odds, huh?

Ten minutes later...

Judas Priest Explosion GIF by Metal Blade Records

57 minutes ago, Casey D said:

We just disagree then.  If not for the ticky tack contact call on Johnson or the meaningless face mask by Phillips, or the bounce off Benford's head into Evan's hands or the deflected 2 point try, it would not have been close.

I don't think we disagree all that much, except maybe how we interpret it.  Yes there was some goofy stuff going on but I would have liked for the offense to close the door on the nonsense.  Or the coaches to allow the players to shut the door on them. 

I just think we took the wrong approach to finishing the game.  

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The problem is we aren't entitled, but probably should be. God knows we keep getting screwed over... What did we ever do draw this in? You gotta be kidding. Bad call. Tipped catches. TDs that hit a helmet... 

It’s because the murderer is still on the wall. 

5 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Haha I love how the lead up to the game around here was ‘the bucs defense is actually good we will probably lose the game’ and then there was a meltdown anyway because we made some mistakes despite winning the game fairly comfortably 

if last nights game was fairly comfortable Lord have mercy on me when one gets uncomfortable.

I think we fan base are gripping hard today because games like last night are a rollercoaster. And we all remember seeing crash and burn scenarios. Versus what actually did happen was the Bills won a game that we dominated overall but could have gone the other way..

I love the final scoreboard number. Getting there was stressful just sayin' 

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Here's our's from 1981.

Roland Hooks:

https://youtu.be/6XJNNLuwNMw?si=YahXfnm1tH81E7gV

Pretty clean play in 1981.  Not like today where everyone is getting mugged on both sides of ball!

I remember that game.  I got disgusted and turned it off, then later I turned it back on just in time for the Hooks play.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Fairly comfortably? You really have to be kidding! The Bills could’ve easily been flagged for pass interference in the end zone and the Bucs would’ve gotten the ball at the one yard line.

There was nothing comfortable about the last 11 minutes of that game.  Bail out penalties.  Botched punt spot. Back to back ricochet points.  And a hail Mary with guys dropping like bowling pins.  Never a doubt 🤪

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.