Falcons cut Eli Ankou: OFFICIAL Signed to Bills PS

BuffaloBillyG

17 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

My theory is that the defense is wearing down because the offense isn't giving them a reason to get excited... the offense faltering against poor teams can be demoralizing, much like benching players in the middle of games. Those two things are really messing with our defense, and if Von doesn't come back to form then it's inevitable a major shake-up is in the cards.

Can’t disagree with any of that.  As for  Miller, that ACL surgery usually takes the next season to be normal, like with Tre White. Getting Eddie Oliver back is really important because he was playing the best ball of his career.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

Can’t disagree with any of that.  As for  Miller, that ACL surgery usually takes the next season to be normal, like with Tre White. Getting Eddie Oliver back is really important because he was playing the best ball of his career.

True! I am really rooting for Von but he needs to know what our current record is... that gaffe was disheartening.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

It’s not as if they didn’t like them, it’s just that they never would have been active on game day. Too low on the depth chart.

If Ankou hadn't been signed by the Falcons, he absolutely would have been active after Jones was put on IR.

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

This is a smart move. The Bills need bodies at the DT position and he knows the system. It doesn't, in any way, preclude a larger move a DT.

It is, considering there are no cheap Pro Bowl DTs available...

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

Jones was a huge loss for the Bills IMO.  He was the one defensive lineman the Bills had to really anchor against opposing teams' running games.  Ankou is not nearly the defensive tackle that Jones is, but at least he has the size Buffalo lost when Jones went down.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Not sure if they call him up this week but given the mini bye we head to after Tampa I would expect him to see game action rather quickly

I think there is a good shot he will be, he’s only been gone a few weeks and was rostered so he’s in shape.

6 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Jones was a huge loss for the Bills IMO.  He was the one defensive lineman the Bills had to really anchor against opposing teams' running games.  Ankou is not nearly the defensive tackle that Jones is, but at least he has the size Buffalo lost when Jones went down.

Jones honestly has been the biggest loss IMO

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

Ankou will do a better job than Settle/Ford.  I wouldn't be opposed to signing Suh cheap.  Ankou will be on the 53 very soon.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

So disappointed in Pune Fords play Eli should be playing over him immediately

So true. I expected nothing out of Settle considering how bad he was last year.  But I was really hoping Ford could step in if needed rotationally.  Boy was I wrong.

14 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Ankou will do a better job than Settle/Ford.  I wouldn't be opposed to signing Suh cheap.  Ankou will be on the 53 very soon.

So true. I expected nothing out of Settle considering how bad he was last year.  But I was really hoping Ford could step in if needed rotationally.  Boy was I wrong.

Suh has been on the Sky Sports sofa the last month. I don't see any evidence that he is staying ready. 

Eli’s coming, hide your heart girl…, 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

My theory is that the defense is wearing down because the offense isn't giving them a reason to get excited... the offense faltering against poor teams can be demoralizing, much like benching players in the middle of games. Those two things are really messing with our defense, and if Von doesn't come back to form then it's inevitable a major shake-up is in the cards.

My theory is that teams will realize that they can run it right at us with the “anchors” we now have in the middle.  Ankou can’t be any worse than Ford, Settle, and Phillips at 1T. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

My theory is that teams will realize that they can run it right at us with the “anchors” we now have in the middle.  Ankou can’t be any worse than Ford, Settle, and Phillips at 1T. 

That is not a theory.  That is a fact and we have seen it two weeks in a row against two of the worst offenses in the league.

The better teams are coming up and they are going to have their way with this defense as it stands today.   Its not a great thing when teams have to stand there and watch their team get manhandled at the line of scrimmage.  We saw it last year late in the season especially the bengals playoff game.  They kind of looked worse last week than the bengals game.

The front office has to do something.  If they don't then everything has to be examined in the offseason.

17 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

That is not a theory.  That is a fact and we have seen it two weeks in a row against two of the worst offenses in the league.

The better teams are coming up and they are going to have their way with this defense as it stands today.   Its not a great thing when teams have to stand there and watch their team get manhandled at the line of scrimmage.  We saw it last year late in the season especially the bengals playoff game.  They kind of looked worse last week than the bengals game.

The front office has to do something.  If they don't then everything has to be examined in the offseason.

I completely agree with you.  The whole friggin thing is messed up right now.  The offense is calibrated to protecting Josh’s health, grinding on the ground, and getting chunks with PA.  Josh is a magician on PA, we (theoretically, at least) have the TEs to make it work and, with a healthy defense, it made sense.  

Now, we look like the iteration of our D that has the ball stuffed down its throat, that can’t get off the field on third down, and that has to blitz to win at the LOS.   Maybe that works with Milano and White healthy.  But with injuries at all three levels it didn’t last week.  

So now we have to open it up on the other side of the ball, play faster, and try to score some points early to make opponents a little more one-dimensional.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

The problem is that doesn't account for the fact that Mac Jones had a career day against our defense... it's just a bad situation and I hope that Ankou can help with.

7 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Definitely the biggest loss on D as far as replacement. I just don't understand how Jordan Phillips is not a force in the middle. He's over 340 lbs and he gets pushed around. Ankou is 320. You'd think JP would be the bull in the ring helping us clog the middle.

9 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Bit of a different style. Daquan can be a penetrator or anchor eating double teams. Ankou is primarily a penetrator so the 2nd level behind him needs to be on point. It's still better than roller derby Ford.

9 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Bit of a different style. Daquan can be a penetrator or anchor eating double teams. Ankou is primarily a penetrator so the 2nd level behind him needs to be on point. It's still better than roller derby Ford.

Can the guy in your avatar suit up ? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.