Dawson Knox - wrist surgery

NewEra

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am a big Dawson Knox fan and generally think he is underrated by fans. But he hasn't been good in 2023. I don't know how much the wrist was affecting him but it is the right decision to go and have surgery. 

Hopefully getting it sorted will get him back to himself.

Our numbers out of 12 personnel are pretty good actually. 

I think the numbers are deceiving here. They really played some pretty mediocre teams in the Raiders, Commanders, Giants, and even Miami's D is suspect especially with Philips and Ramsey out. 

They 12 personnel that the Bills were running wasn't what I expected. It was more of a dink and dunk offense to the tight ends. Even using Knox to cover up and help Brown. 

Perhaps my expectations were incorrect. I was expecting to see some explosive big play catches from the Bills tight ends. I had an image of the tight ends making some 15 to 20 yards chunk plays down the seam. Even Kincaid moving around and acting more like a WR. We really haven't seen any of that. 

I mean the Bills offense is currently ranked number 3 in the NFL. There is no way anyone's eye ball test can think the Bills offense is 3rd best in the NFL. The numbers often don't paint an accurate picture.

Lets look at the high ranking Bills defenses over the last few years. If memory serves me correctly I believe they were the number one ranked D a couple of years ago and top 3 for several years. Come playoff time the Bills defenses lead by Fraizer couldn't stop an old lady pushing a shipping cart. 

2023 Bills rank 12th in total defense, 7th in passing defense, and 5th in red zone defense.

The Pats offensively rank near the bottom in every stat. They arguably have a bottom feeder QB. 

Yet last Sunday despite the stats, Mac Jones led his team down the field to a game winning TD. Stats be damn...

In short, we fans and football enthusiasts love to look at and point out stats. It's often overated, over utilized, and somewhat misleading. The 12 personnel by the Bills is a very good example of this. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, NewEra said:

Know maybe we can get the old offense back

12 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I wonder if this will create any opportunities for any other guys on offense.  Particularly guys who play TE.  (Obviously I'm talking about Quentin Morris here.)

Hes injured too

Lots of folks have been killing Knox for his poor hands this season. 

Now that we know he has been basically playing with a wrist injury since the Jags game (and I suspect his ineffectiveness to play through it has contributed to them deciding to do surgery), is he no longer a persona non grata on TBD?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Should not have been playing the last 2 games.  He was a shell of himself and then had to shut it down.

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

No.

Unless this injury goes back to his rookie year it changes very little for me. He's always had bad hands.

Now, this injury mave have made catches more difficult. In that case it's up to him and the coaching staff to sit him out.

Probably wanted to go since Morris was out also and they are thin at options.

IMO, yes, he is.

He's a good player.

I also think he's a luxury contract on a team that can't afford luxury contracts like his.

Nothing against him.. If we weren't up against the cap, I wouldn't say the following..

BUT..  I have a feeling the Offense will look better in increased 11 personnel moving forward this season.  Kincaid is already a better pass catching TE, and his run blocking is adequate..  as a rookie.  

It's time to look for a trade partner in the off-season for Knox. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Should not have been playing the last 2 games.  He was a shell of himself and then had to shut it down.

Probably wanted to go since Morris was out also and they are thin at options.

I get that. One thing that has always help garner him respect is his toughness, and I'm not taking that away. 

But I think sometimes he gets a lot of leeway because he's tough and had a really cool run his rookie year against the Bengals. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I get that. One thing that has always help garner him respect is his toughness, and I'm not taking that away. 

But I think sometimes he gets a lot of leeway because he's tough and had a really cool run his rookie year against the Bengals. 

I dunno man, he has made some big red zone TD catches for us...to beat the Chiefs last year, playoff games...think he scored TDs in like 6 straight games last year. People acting like he is some JAG are pretty far off base I think.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 3

Knox hasn’t always been the greatest in terms of catches but he’s honestly not anywhere near as bad as some people here would have you think. His injury certainly didn’t help matters. I really wish they’d have played it safe earlier on and let Kincaid get more reps… look what he did Sunday: 75 yards and caught damn near anything thrown his way. 

Knox is great, his contract isn’t wonderful but that’s not really his fault. I like him and hope he comes back soon, but now it’s time for Kincaid to take over TE1 in my opinion… at least on passing downs

Edited by KingBoots8

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I dunno man, he has made some big red zone TD catches for us...to beat the Chiefs last year, playoff games...think he scored TDs in like 6 straight games last year. People acting like he is some JAG are pretty far off base I think.

Tight Ends across the league drop passes... even the top tier ones.  High end TE's aren't equivalent pass catchers to high end WR's.  Knox isn't Kelce or Kittle, but he's good, and would have a legitimate market if we looked to move him in the off-season.  Or we can keep him, like I said, he's a good player.. I just think we're about to find out that 12 personnel was a failed experiment and/or one that we just could never fully realize. 

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lots of folks have been killing Knox for his poor hands this season. 

Now that we know he has been basically playing with a wrist injury since the Jags game (and I suspect his ineffectiveness to play through it has contributed to them deciding to do surgery), is he no longer a persona non grata on TBD?

If they can surgically fix the drops it seems like a good move. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Knox hasn’t always been the greatest in terms of catches but he’s honestly not anywhere near as bad as some people here would have you think. His injury certainly didn’t help matters. I really wish they’d have played it safe earlier on and let Kincaid get more reps… look what he did Sunday: 75 yards and caught damn near anything thrown his way. 

Knox is great, his contract isn’t wonderful but that’s not really his fault. I like him and hope he comes back soon, but now it’s time for Kincaid to take over TE1 in my opinion… at least on passing downs

Hands have been far better the last 2 seasons... 69% catch rate in 2021 and 73.8% catch rate in 2022.  First 2 years were not great, in the low 50's, but has become about the same as other TEs over that time that are good.  Last 2 years have been very comparable or even better than TE's like Kelce, Kittle and Andrews...

People talking about his drops are showing how little they actually pay attention to what is going on and simply keep bringing up tired narratives from his first 2 years that haven't been issues in his last 2 years. 

Pay attention and watch more football.  

Also, didn't he have some sort of eye issue that was identified and fixed or am I thinking of someone else?

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.