Are the Pats tanking?

stuvian

On 10/12/2023 at 6:06 PM, Gugny said:

I don’t know, man. He had a top tier QB and assembled teams around him to help them become the greatest dynasty the NFL will ever see. 

We’ve had Josh Allen for six years. SIX. And nothing. 

I know Im “supposed” to hate Belichick, but I don’t. 

As awesome as Brady was, he didn’t win all of those games by himself. 

Belichick deserves credit for that. 

You're assuming Allen is on Brady's level. Sorry to say Josh Allen isn't Tom Brady tier. Maybe Mahomes is. 

Edited by MafiaMio

11 hours ago, MJS said:

What has Belichick ever done besides show that he is an average coach without Tom Brady?

Even if he was a good coach, the game has passed him by. He is a fossil from a previous era of football.

He led a garbage team to the playoffs with a rookie QB.  That’s about it.  But he did accomplish that

On 10/12/2023 at 6:06 PM, Gugny said:

I don’t know, man. He had a top tier QB and assembled teams around him to help them become the greatest dynasty the NFL will ever see. 

We’ve had Josh Allen for six years. SIX. And nothing. 

I know Im “supposed” to hate Belichick, but I don’t. 

As awesome as Brady was, he didn’t win all of those games by himself. 

Belichick deserves credit for that. 

He also had a good/great offensive line pretty much every year…we have never had that 

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He led a garbage team to the playoffs with a rookie QB.  That’s about it.  But he did accomplish that

With Macl Jones? Their team was better then, especially the defense.

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

He also had a good/great offensive line pretty much every year…we have never had that 

That is squarely on Beane. 

Belichick did a great job building a round his top tier QB and it resulted in rings. 

Just now, Gugny said:

Belichick did a great job building a round his top tier QB and it resulted in rings. 

Oh yea I wouldn’t argue that…pass blocking still seems to be a huge issue.  The run blocking it appears he’s righted the ship on a bit though.  So disheartening because it seemed like we may have had it figured out…even against the jets they didn’t look that bad 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

36 minutes ago, Success said:

I'm not too keen on the Pats getting Maye or Williams - but they might.

Still, no guarantee either guy will be good in the pros.  Seems like lately, most of the hyped prospects have fallen short of expectations.

With Williams, I'm getting the same vibes that I got from Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/2021-snap-counts.htm

yes.  They had the #2 defense in the league……led by BB.  Look at the players on that D.  💩 

More to my point

That D had a lot more talent than it does now.

Belichick is a horrendous GM. He is a good defensive coordinator, though.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Maybe the year they got Moss.

But really, if you think about it, their wr corps was usually small guys and not household names. Edelman, Welker, etc.

Brady was the kind of QB who didn't NEED a Justin Jefferson/Stefon Diggs/whoever, but man when he had one in Moss, it was ridiculous.

3 hours ago, MJS said:

That D had a lot more talent than it does now.

Belichick is a horrendous GM. He is a good defensive coordinator, though.

Yes, it had more talent than it does now.  That has nothing to do with him making the playoffs with that team and leading that defense to a #2 ranking.

He’s not a good defensive coordinator.  He’s one of greatest defensive minds in league history….if not the greatest.  You’re not giving him enough credit.

Yes, he’s a horrendous GM.  I agree 

47 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yes, it had more talent than it does now.  That has nothing to do with him making the playoffs with that team and leading that defense to a #2 ranking.

He’s not a good defensive coordinator.  He’s one of greatest defensive minds in league history….if not the greatest.  You’re not giving him enough credit.

Yes, he’s a horrendous GM.  I agree 

WAS one of the greatest. I don't think he is anymore.

18 hours ago, MJS said:

What has Belichick ever done besides show that he is an average coach without Tom Brady?

32 minutes ago, MJS said:

WAS one of the greatest. I don't think he is anymore.

I mean….Jerry rice is the greatest WR of all time.  I don’t think he is anymore

you asked the bolded question.  What BB accomplished can’t be taken away.  He’s IS one of the greatest of all time.  

2 seasons ago, his defense consisting of average talent, led the team to the playoffs.  Maybe the game has passed him by in 21 and 22.  Maybe they just have no talent due to injury.  He held Miami's offense in check.

regardless- he will always be one of the greatest mind in league history.  Your question, what has he done without Brady is just lame.  

What did he do WITH Brady? He carried Brady’s 13 point offense to a Lombardi vs the rams as the D held the rams potent O to 3 points.  They had 4 sacks—-all on blitzes by LBs and CBs.  

He held the greatest show on turf to 17 points in giving Brady his first Lombardi. 

4 of their 6 titles, his defenses held the opponent to 24 or less and gave up an average of 18.6 ppg in those wins.  

As a DC, he held the Elway led broncos to 20 and the Kelly led Bills super offense to 19 en route to Super Bowls.

Is he currently one of the best coaches in the league? Maybe, maybe not.  Hard to tell due to ineptness as a GM

On 10/12/2023 at 11:30 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

I don't think BB has it in him to tank. They are just a bad team that bad personal decisions have finally caught up to them 

I completely disagree with this. I think BB lives by his own set of codes and ethics, and it’s all about what will help him win at the end of the day. He’s not above cheating or gaining any edge, which he’s proven year in and year out. If he thinks tanking to get his guy is the way to go, you’d better believe he’d do it. 

• Agree 1

Ok the Pats are not tanking on purpose. First BB job is definitely on the line this year if they finish with a top 5 pick. IMO if they get that Jerod Mayo is the new HC, or I am hearing they may go after Harbaugh (Michigan) and give him the BB type roll. (Not sure how true that’s from Sports talk radio)

So my point is BB can’t afford to tank, because he will not get the power he has here anywhere else at age 71.

15 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ok the Pats are not tanking on purpose. First BB job is definitely on the line this year if they finish with a top 5 pick. IMO if they get that Jerod Mayo is the new HC, or I am hearing they may go after Harbaugh (Michigan) and give him the BB type roll. (Not sure how true that’s from Sports talk radio)

So my point is BB can’t afford to tank, because he will not get the power he has here anywhere else at age 71.

I've heard both.  And don't be so sure about another team offering him both GM and HC jobs.

Part of me wonders if Bill is trying to get fired so he can go somewhere else that might have a better QB position, either already there or a top pick in the draft. 

I mean, putting Matt Patricia as OC but not naming him the actual OC was a mind boggling WTF decision that probably obliterated any chance Mac Jones had of progressing after a fairly promising rookie season. 

That's like the Bills firing Dorsey, naming Dick Jauron an "offensive coach" but not OC but he'll call the plays, or won't. Maybe. We're not talking about it, except to say Dick Jauron will work with Josh Allen and the offense and someone will call plays. Allegedly. 

IMO that was Bill trying to get fired last year so he'd be free to go wherever he wants and not be limited by having to be traded where NE would control his destiny and suck draft capital away from his new team. 

If he tries to force his way out then NE will do the whole "we won't trade you anywhere you can hurt us" routine. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

• 2 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.