No "sugar-rush" Josh vs. JAX?

The Red King

Kinda lost in the mix...but when things went to crap and time was running out, some people worried about Josh going full hero ball.  I'm sure he was tempted, but I'll admit I was a bit surprised to see he didn't.

Maybe he actually took that Week One disaster to heart.  Too early to tell, but Sun. was at least encouraging in that regard.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You saw that as encouraging? I think he looked sulking in the sideline like he was a dog that just had his balls cut off. Would have been nice to see some fire from him. Blame the coaches I guess. Either they miscalculated and should have arrived in London at the beginning of the week, or they could get the team up to play. Either way, it’s on the coaches. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Kinda lost in the mix...but when things went to crap and time was running out, some people worried about Josh going full hero ball.  I'm sure he was tempted, but I'll admit I was a bit surprised to see he didn't.

Maybe he actually took that Week One disaster to heart.  Too early to tell, but Sun. was at least encouraging in that regard.

It was a great game plan and execution. The offense punted 6 out of the first 7 times they controlled the ball. 

The offense was sleep walking for 3.5 quarters. 

Yep the "no sugar rush" was fantastic to see!

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

You saw that as encouraging? I think he looked sulking in the sideline like he was a dog that just had his balls cut off. Would have been nice to see some fire from him. Blame the coaches I guess. Either they miscalculated and should have arrived in London at the beginning of the week, or they could get the team up to play. Either way, it’s on the coaches. 

You know not every one leads by yelling and jumping up and down. I don’t care how he leads as long as he does it with success. Ie throwing a great pass or making a nice run. Not saying you’re wrong, just don’t agree that he’s sulking. Some people become pensive in those situations and think about how to get out of it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, AlfaBill said:

You know not every one leads by yelling and jumping up and down. I don’t care how he leads as long as he does it with success. Ie throwing a great pass or making a nice run. Not saying you’re wrong, just don’t agree that he’s sulking. Some people become pensive in those situations and think about how to get out of it. 

Ignore this new angle the bitter Allen hating deadenders are throwing out. Remember how it was that he wasn't working out in the off season; or that he was making to many commercials; or that he was going to to many golf courses; or drinking to much; or dating Hollywood starlets, etc, etc, etc.

Then after week one Allen was regressing, he couldn't control his impulses he was destined to play on a sugar rush in every game.  He was careless with the ball.

But after 4 straight games in which Allen has played good to great and in which he has been phenomenally productive and careful with the ball these people have to come up with new reasons to trash Allen.  The two most recent are:

*  Allen isn't a big enough cheerleader on the sideline and doesn't get in the faces of his teammates enough - you know "leadership" stuff.

*  Allen doesn't audible out of run plays enough.

Trust me, even if Allen leads the Bills to a Super Bowl win these people will come out of the woodwork with their criticisms at the first sign of trouble.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

19 minutes ago, mrags said:

I made a comment on another thread about Allen sleep walking and not showing any emotion in the sidelines. I got my head ripped off for saying so. 

13 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

I get that but it also doesn't fit the MO of Allen either. I can recall on many many occasions over the years a vocal fired up Allen on the sidelines pumping up his players. His temperament has seemingly changed. Maybe that's good, bad, or indifferent. Personally, I like seeing my QB a little fired up but under control. My eyes didn't see that on Sunday vs the Jags. Granted it was a small sample and we can't see everything. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I made a comment on another thread about Allen sleep walking and not showing any emotion in the sidelines. I got my head ripped off for saying so. 

The truth is this: Anyone who believes that JA is the problem or even part of the problem, doesn’t know jack. Fans like that don’t deserve him as the all pro Qb of their team. I don’t give a shite if he yells and screams on the sideline like someone’s ideal interpretation of a leader. But when he goes out and gives his best and puts the team in a position to win that’s what counts. People look for problems like Diggs is a diva, Dion is fat, Blah bla bla. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

26 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Yeah. I understand your argument. But I could pretty much tell early on in the game that he had no fire in him on Sunday. Was able to see it about about the 2rd or 3rd drive. He looked out of it on the sideline. Sorry, it’s what I saw. I knew early on in the game it was going to be a rough day. His stats were really good as far as yards and everything but let’s be real, they started the game with like 3 three and outs. Punted on like 6 of their first 7 possessions. Something wasn’t right from the beginning. He looked dejected, not much different from the Bengals game last year when Diggs was wondering what was going on. 

38 minutes ago, JJGauna said:

I think he needs a haircut lol.

This too

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

on my mind, but I didn’t post it

I kept thinking to myself during the game as long as Josh doesn’t turn it over we got this, and it looked like he was really holding himself back from taking off and running or going for the kill punch in the game which I appreciate it because that’s what he’s got us to where we are now with our record

But sometimes it’s OK for Josh to run. I’d really like to see him go through his first and second read and if it’s not there take off and just get those first downs and keep the office on the field. It didn’t seem like he was doing that it matter fact, it seemed like he was make a concerted effort not to do that.

I want to see non-sugar Josh but we’ve got to make sure that we keep the happy medium of what makes him great. What makes him great is he can make any throw on the field, but he can also do it with his legs when he has to would’ve really have led to see a few more runs after making his reeds in the Sunday game. 

I am against the designed runs. I don’t like them at all and honestly I don’t think they work that well, but just letting him run when it’s not there. Is smart.

• Thank you (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I get that but it also doesn't fit the MO of Allen either. I can recall on many many occasions over the years a vocal fired up Allen on the sidelines pumping up his players. His temperament has seemingly changed. Maybe that's good, bad, or indifferent. Personally, I like seeing my QB a little fired up but under control. My eyes didn't see that on Sunday vs the Jags. Granted it was a small sample and we can't see everything. 

Yeah. I had the same issues yesterday with the underthrows thread. I get it. I love Josh too. My favorite football player ever. The best player we’ve ever had on this team. One of the top 2-3 faces of the league. I get he cannot be perfect all the time. But I also don’t make excuses for him when he doesn’t play well or when he looks like he did the other day. Something was off. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mrags said:

Yeah. I understand your argument. But I could pretty much tell early on in the game that he had no fire in him on Sunday. Was able to see it about about the 2rd or 3rd drive. He looked out of it on the sideline. Sorry, it’s what I saw. I knew early on in the game it was going to be a rough day. His stats were really good as far as yards and everything but let’s be real, they started the game with like 3 three and outs. Punted on like 6 of their first 7 possessions. Something wasn’t right from the beginning. He looked dejected, not much different from the Bengals game last year when Diggs was wondering what was going on. 

This too

So the offense punts 6/7 times and you put it ALL ON JOSH NOT YELLING?  Ok

Not the drops by Cook or Gabe. Not the Kincaid run where he fails to get the 1st by one yard? Not by the inability to RUN THE BaLL? 

I see. Josh having fits on the side would’ve won them the game. Sorry I disagree. 
josh Allen is not the problem. 

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Everyone yelled about sugar-rush Josh costing them Week One single-handedly.  Now people are actually complaining that he didn't play like that on Sunday?

Really?

Not everyone. Just the airheads. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, The Red King said:

Everyone yelled about sugar-rush Josh costing them Week One single-handedly.  Now people are actually complaining that he didn't play like that on Sunday?

Really?

There’s a difference. He had zero fire yesterday. None. It’s honestly not his fault. The coaching staff cut his balls off. Overall it might be better in the long run. But man, superhero Josh wins that game 9 times out of 10 yesterday. 

1 minute ago, AlfaBill said:

So the offense punts 6/7 times and you put it ALL ON JOSH NOT YELLING?  Ok

Not the drops by Cook or Gabe. Not the Kincaid run where he fails to get the 1st by one yard? Not by the inability to RUN THE BaLL? 

I see. Josh having fits on the side would’ve won them the game. Sorry I disagree. 
josh Allen is not the problem. 

Not everyone. Just the airheads. 

There you go putting words in my mouth. I never said he was the reason they lost the game. I never said he played poorly. All I said was he didn’t look like he had any fire out there. Like he didn’t even want to be there. He looked glazed over in the sideline like he just saw his dog get hit by a car or something. We could have used a little hero ball yesterday and he didn’t have it. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

Yeah. I had the same issues yesterday with the underthrows thread. I get it. I love Josh too. My favorite football player ever. The best player we’ve ever had on this team. One of the top 2-3 faces of the league. I get he cannot be perfect all the time. But I also don’t make excuses for him when he doesn’t play well or when he looks like he did the other day. Something was off. 

Again with the underthrows. He threw the long ball well. He may be the only QB who can toss the ball 60+ air yards. They weren’t under thrown. It’s almost impossible to hit the WR in stride in those deep deep drop throws.  In fact most QBs don’t even try 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, AlfaBill said:

Again with the underthrows. He threw the long ball well. He may be the only QB who can toss the ball 60+ air yards. They weren’t under thrown. It’s almost impossible to hit the WR in stride in those deep deep drop throws.  In fact most QBs don’t even try 

I see QBs do it every single week in the league. And again with the underthrows. Yes. He underthrew them. It doesn’t mean he’s not awesome. Yes they were 55 yards in the air. But if they were 58 they would have been TDs both of them. Even Josh admitted that the first one was underthrown just to make sure he didn’t miss Diggs. So what’s your argument now? Even Allen himself admitted it. 

• Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, mrags said:

But I could pretty much tell early on in the game that he had no fire in him on Sunday.

There's a lot of positions where you want your guys to be playing with serious fire.

I would suggest that QB is not one of them.

It's a position for cold-blooded assassins, not raging berserkers.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Ignore this new angle the bitter Allen hating deadenders are throwing out. Remember how it was that he wasn't working out in the off season; or that he was making to many commercials; or that he was going to to many golf courses; or drinking to much; or dating Hollywood starlets, etc, etc, etc.

Then after week one Allen was regressing, he couldn't control his impulses he was destined to play on a sugar rush in every game.  He was careless with the ball.

But after 4 straight games in which Allen has played good to great and in which he has been phenomenally productive and careful with the ball these people have to come up with new reasons to trash Allen.  The two most recent are:

*  Allen isn't a big enough cheerleader on the sideline and doesn't get in the faces of his teammates enough - you know "leadership" stuff.

*  Allen doesn't audible out of run plays enough.

Trust me, even if Allen leads the Bills to a Super Bowl win these people will come out of the woodwork with their criticisms at the first sign of trouble.

Your synopsis isn't accurate for the majority of people here. 99% of Bills fans know Josh Allen is great and the solution not the problem. That doesn't mean he doesn't deserve criticism. The Jets game is a great example. 

Not many here are trashing Allen. I certainly am not. However, I did say I wish he was more vocal and emotional on the sidelines. I stand by that. A personal preference if you will. In the end, it's probably not a difference maker but a leader sometimes can spark others to play better.

It appeared the Bills offense needed a spark while watching the Jags game. Punting six out of your first seven possessions is terrible. Scoring 7 points midway through the 4th quarter is terrible. Maybe a little emotion could have helped? The Jags certainly were playing with emotion. You could feel it via the TV. Even McD stated the Bills couldn't match their energy! WTF!!!That's just not acceptable. Something needed to change way earlier in the game. But it never did until it was too late. 

I thought after halftime the Bills would regroup and show some life. Show some attitude and dominance. Nope they immediately punted after getting the ball. They remained stagnant, unemotional, going through the motions, and their sleep walking continued for another quarter and a half. McD continued his clapping on the sidelines and Dorsey continued to make shi! calls. 

I digress. What ever audibles or lack of Allen called didn't work for the greater part of the game. That's just as obvious as they come. The offense was bad. Allen was decent to good but not good enough. It was a game where Allen needed to be unleashed, use his legs, extend plays, and play with emotion. Wear the cape sort of speak. The team was dead on offense. It hindered Allen more than helping him. Allen is likely gun shy to try to be Farve like. It was a missed opportunity by Allen and Dorsey. 

In short, we Bills fans are soundly behind Allen. No one is saying he stinks or wishes he's in another uniform. Perhaps, we expect too much from our franchise QB. That could be fair to say. But what you are implying is borderline ridiculous. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

There’s a difference. He had zero fire yesterday. None. It’s honestly not his fault. The coaching staff cut his balls off. Overall it might be better in the long run. But man, superhero Josh wins that game 9 times out of 10 yesterday. 

There you go putting words in my mouth. I never said he was the reason they lost the game. I never said he played poorly. All I said was he didn’t look like he had any fire out there. Like he didn’t even want to be there. He looked glazed over in the sideline like he just saw his dog get hit by a car or something. We could have used a little hero ball yesterday and he didn’t have it. 

You said 

I see QBs do it every single week in the league. And again with the underthrows. Yes. He underthrew them. It doesn’t mean he’s not awesome. Yes they were 55 yards in the air. But if they were 58 they would have been TDs both of them. Even Josh admitted that the first one was underthrown just to make sure he didn’t miss Diggs. So what’s your argument now? Even Allen himself admitted it. 

You see 60 air yard throws each week? Ok

done. 

54 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Genuinely what is ‘hero ball’…this is one of my biggest pet peeves in football discourse right now 😂 the dude had to dodge pass rushers to buy himself time to attack deep to move the ball.  Is that not hero ball?  Is it only called hero ball when it doesn’t work? 

If hero ball is finding a way to push the ball down the field when your offensive line is getting smoked we likely needed even more hero ball in that one lol

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It was a great game plan and execution. The offense punted 6 out of the first 7 times they controlled the ball. 

The offense was sleep walking for 3.5 quarters. 

Yep the "no sugar rush" was fantastic to see!

When he throws takes the short easy completions it's sleepwalking

When he goes for the deep stuff it's hero ball lol

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

There's a lot of positions where you want your guys to be playing with serious fire.

There’s definitely overboard. I’m not saying that. I’m saying he looked lifeless yesterday. We could have used a little hero ball and fire. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

When he throws takes the short easy completions it's sleepwalking

When he goes for the deep stuff it's hero ball lol

Call it whatever you want. If you are ok with 7 points scored midway through the 4th quarter then I don't know what to say. 

If you are ok with punting six times out of your first seven possessions then I don't know what to say.

Call it whatever you want. I'll call it unacceptable and a great way to lose games. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

You said 

You see 60 air yard throws each week? Ok

done. 

QB hit players in stride every single week. QBs don’t make their WRs come back for the hall and cost a n almost sure TD every single week. We could go on and on. You apparently don’t see it and a few of us do. I have to keep saying it. I love Josh just like the rest of you. But he is not without some flaws every once in a while. I guarantee you he wishes he threw both of those deep passes yesterday a few yards deeper. He even admitted to the one. So I’m not sure how you can even argue it. He even admitted it. Yet you and others still want to claim it wasn’t underthrown. The guy admitted it himself. Yet you people still want to hold on to this false argument. 

• Agree 1

I'm thrilled we haven't seen the ill advised throws. I don't wish he decided to be more aggressive. If he did, maybe it works out. Which in my mind is even worse than if it didn't. That would just feed the "it's ok" to be reckless with the ball and that attitude will cost us more than one game. Long term, that's just not what we need. It has to fall on our offense fully executing in those spots. Not Josh winging prayers.   

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Call it whatever you want. If you are ok with 7 points scored midway through the 4th quarter then I don't know what to say. 

If you are ok with punting six times out of your first seven possessions then I don't know what to say.

Call it whatever you want. I'll call it unacceptable and a great way to lose games. 

The Chiefs beat them scoring 17 lol

To be clear, when I made this post I wasn't commenting on Josh's performance.  There are enough other theads for that.  This thread was specifically about Josh not playing hero ball in a situation he most likely would have before.

And for the one asking what hero ball is, I'll just point to Week One.

1 hour ago, mrags said:

This Jags mess was predominantly on the coaches. First for being stupid not to fly out Monday.  Then for Dorsey to not realize early in the game that the Jags were willing to give up deep shots with 8-9 in the box.  Everything after that with concrete turf, injuries & penalties just put salt on the wound.  This game was a lost cause when the schedule broke.  Hopefully McD/Terry never agree again during the Allen era.

I am encouraged that Josh has realized the value of taking what they give you since the Jets game. Unfortunately KD didn't identify the defense quickly enough. JA still had a very good day.  Drops & playcalling failed him.  They'll be a time for selective hero ball but choose your spots wisely. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, The Red King said:

To be clear, when I made this post I wasn't commenting on Josh's performance.  There are enough other theads for that.  This thread was specifically about Josh not playing hero ball in a situation he most likely would have before.

And for the one asking what hero ball is, I'll just point to Week One.

It sounds like you have the wrong title of your thread then. You should have just come out and said you’re ok with losing because it’s much better to see a lifeless QB taking nothing but safe throws instead of one with some fire that wills his team to victory when the game is on the line. It’s what many people fell in love with an out Josh. His willingness and ability to put the team on his back when nothing else is working. And somehow come away with a win in a close game that not many other QBs in the league could do. That was the opposite of what we saw yesterday. But yeah, he took the safe plays. Yay!!!

• Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Simon said:

I mean, how do you differentiate sugar? Hi Josh and him playing with fire

We need him to be cool and collected in calculating and a killer

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mrags said:

This too

I saw the "I need one more playmaker look", honestly

7 hours ago, mrags said:

Yea. Think they definitely got the scheduling wrong. I suspect the sports science team will be getting some very stern questions from the coaches this week.

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

on my mind, but I didn’t post it

I kept thinking to myself during the game as long as Josh doesn’t turn it over we got this, and it looked like he was really holding himself back from taking off and running or going for the kill punch in the game which I appreciate it because that’s what he’s got us to where we are now with our record

But sometimes it’s OK for Josh to run. I’d really like to see him go through his first and second read and if it’s not there take off and just get those first downs and keep the office on the field. It didn’t seem like he was doing that it matter fact, it seemed like he was make a concerted effort not to do that.

I want to see non-sugar Josh but we’ve got to make sure that we keep the happy medium of what makes him great. What makes him great is he can make any throw on the field, but he can also do it with his legs when he has to would’ve really have led to see a few more runs after making his reeds in the Sunday game. 

I am against the designed runs. I don’t like them at all and honestly I don’t think they work that well, but just letting him run when it’s not there. Is smart.

I said this same thing after the Raiders & Commanders games, that you can see either by decree or a concerted effort he is trying to fit into a system where running is the very last resort and you can see that he seems reined in by the play calling.

6 hours ago, mrags said:

And yes superhero Allen would have won that game, but the defense didn't get off the field and almost invariably play calling didn't play into Josh's strengths. 

We've seen it before how frustrated the offense get's sitting on the sidelines and watching other teams march up and down the field, convert 3rd downs and when they get the ball back conservative plays.

Please closely look at the Bills play calling and how many were runs or short passes and nothing complex or motion and you wonder whether Allen too is frustrated getting those plays called from the sideline.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay/_/gameId/401547228

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

maybe because it’s a ridiculous comment. You see a 5 second shot of a guy on tv out of 3 hours on the sideline and act like that’s how he is all game. 

if he did anything else we would have the entire media world talking about how he wants to be traded out of Buffalo. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

you complained about Josh week 1, no?

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

This Jags mess was predominantly on the coaches. First for being stupid not to fly out Monday.  Then for Dorsey to not realize early in the game that the Jags were willing to give up deep shots with 8-9 in the box.  Everything after that with concrete turf, injuries & penalties just put salt on the wound.  This game was a lost cause when the schedule broke.  Hopefully McD/Terry never agree again during the Allen era.

I am encouraged that Josh has realized the value of taking what they give you since the Jets game. Unfortunately KD didn't identify the defense quickly enough. JA still had a very good day.  Drops & playcalling failed him.  They'll be a time for selective hero ball but choose your spots wisely. 

players are getting treatments Monday. Nobody is flying on Monday. 

tell me what day the Jags flew out last week. 

7 hours ago, The Red King said:

During the game i was thinking the exact same thing and i liked it very much. 

7 hours ago, mrags said:

weak post

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.