McDermott Hot Seat?

Mark92

The McDermott/Dorsey, high flying Bills who win games by 4 TDs are back to their old ways of not being able to win the close ones. That’s my main problem with McD. Win the close games, the team should be able to do that.  KC wins so many one possession games.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, bmur66 said:

I look at the last game last year, the first game this year, the $#!+ show in London and I wonder what the heck is going on? How can a team look so good one week and then this happens. Somebody will be held accountable sooner or later.

Made myself watch the presser, of McDermott crying, and saying he didn’t bring the energy.  Looks like Doug Pederson brings more energy to a game then Sean does.  We’re getting to see the impacts of a mundane stat padding Coach and an elite Super Bowl winning Coach.  After thirteen seconds we stuck with stat padding and I think that’s the story of McDermott’s career.  Fine for the season though with injuries becoming a strong “if” and largely unimpressive, unfocused, and uninspired in the post season.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Did you see that Chiefs/Jags game? They couldn't score, either.

Have you watched Philly's games? They're far from dominant.

Also, a five point loss isn't something to feel shame about ffs.

The Bills were soundly beaten despite getting two huge turnovers.  It was a pathetic performance by the offense.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The McDermott/Dorsey, high flying Bills who win games by 4 TDs are back to their old ways of not being able to win the close ones. That’s my main problem with McD. Win the close games, the team should be able to do that.  KC wins so many one possession games.

McDermott admitted he doesn’t bring and cannot bring the energies of someone like Doug Pederson.  Should’ve been canned after thirteen seconds but alas he’s a post turtle.  

• Agree 1

OP makes a short but reasonable statement given the loss.

majority of the responses are trite retorts that lack little substance because it's hard to debate people with opinion. every year this place becomes like twitter more and more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Made myself watch the presser, of McDermott crying, and saying he didn’t bring the energy.  Looks like Doug Pederson brings more energy to a game then Sean does.  We’re getting to see the impacts of a mundane stat padding Coach and an elite Super Bowl winning Coach.  After thirteen seconds we stuck with stat padding and I think that’s the story of McDermott’s career.  Fine for the season though with injuries becoming a strong “if” and largely unimpressive, unfocused, and uninspired in the post season.

you forgot a bunch of time he SAYS people will be held accountable and nothing changes.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Jacksonville isn't a bad team. Many have them winning their division. They had a big advantage being in London for 2 weeks while the Bills only arrived a couple of days before the game. Buffalo was never going 16-1. They will lose some more games. The Jets built their team that matches up well with Buffalo. Look at the last 3 games vs them as they were all one score games. The injuries are a concern, but the Bills should win enough games to get into the playoffs. 

I agree with everything you said.  This is a playoff team, that will exit relatively early in the playoffs when they have to play a really good defense or another elite QB.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

"soundly beaten"

I think we're speaking two different languages.

the bills did not have a chance in the game. they were beaten in every way possible. if the bills did pull off that win yesterday it was not the bills winning as much as it was the jags losing.

the jags did anything they wanted to us on defense, stopped us on defense when we could not do anything, and even special teams was beaten.

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, boyst said:

the bills did not have a chance in the game. they were beaten in every way possible. if the bills did pull off that win yesterday it was not the bills winning as much as it was the jags losing.

the jags did anything they wanted to us on defense, stopped us on defense, and even special teams was beaten.

Sure thing.

10 hours ago, I am leaving for good said:

I think the bigger problem is some of our defensive players are aging. At some point the Buffalo Bills are going to have to find replacements for Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer there both 32 years old. Von Miller looks like his better days in the NFL are behind him. This team reminds me of the Chuck Knox Buffalo Bills teams he had a lot of veterans with some success then when he left the wheels really came off. Terry Pegula bigger issue than the GM and head coach to potentially deal with is convincing Josh Allen to stick around for a Buffalo Bills rebuild. I don’t think Josh Allen is going to wait around for a rebuild so yes there is potential problems for this present Buffalo Bills roster down the road. If you’re Josh Allen you’re not sticking around on a 7-10 football team. Stefon Diggs will be long gone he looks like he wants out of Buffalo now. So it really doesn’t matter about the coach he will be fired at some point. Coaches get hired to be fired. We will see all these Sean McDermott Buffalo Bills supporters when they have some 7-10 records for the Buffalo Bills if they are so loyal to McDermott and GM Brandon Beane. Buffalo Super Fan are you saying to fire them? Yes if the Buffalo Bills begin to lose no head coach has a job forever that is ridiculous. Sean McDermott is winning because of Josh Allen just like Tom Brady in New England. Sean McDermott is a average coach at best. Put Sean McDermott in New England Patriots or the New York Jets and see how well he does. I doubt he wins in those places in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

all of this is compounded by our specifically schemed defense which is not an easy plug and play unit. it is niche and nuanced which needs specific type players.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

I agree with everything you said.  This is a playoff team, that will exit relatively early in the playoffs when they have to play a really good defense or another elite QB.

Largely it’s McDermott who cannot bring energy, excel, and keep his players excited.  That somber presser of not being able to bring the energy.  He’s a stat padding Coach who’s unbelievably mediocre when it matters most.  It’s almost like he’s saying he’s quitting on players when it matters most and cannot elevate them.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, mannc said:

It’s more than just those two games…it goes back to last year too.  What do you think is the solution?

Having players stay healthy?

I mean, you make it sound like winning a Super Bowl is just a given. The Bills are, or at least were 24 hours ago, looked upon as a top team in the league.

Just now, Rigotz said:

As is the new tradition after every loss, send in the clowns!

@Mark92

@ThriftyGamer83

@LarryMadman

sound statement, babe

now please... defend McDermott. add thoughts to the post instead of mumbling.

1 minute ago, Beast said:

I mean, you make it sound like winning a Super Bowl is just a given. The Bills are, or at least were 24 hours ago, looked upon as a top team in the league.

every team has injuries. across the league. people who follow this team and post on the message board tend to be hyperbolic but we are not the only team to suffer injuries.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mrags said:

They should have won today too. But they didn’t. They should win against the Jets too. But they didn’t. 

If you thought the bills should have won today given the circumstances and going against a pretty descent team, I think you had your expectations in the wrong place. Respectfully 

• Vomit 2

4 minutes ago, Beast said:

The Bills have probably been healthier than the league average, going back to the beginning of last year.

On the plus side our next 3 games are the Giants, at Pats, Bucs. The Bills SHOULD be 6-2 before heading to Cincinnati. The Bucs could give the Bills a good game but it's at home, so I expect the Bills to win. The Giants and Pats should be slam dunk wins even with our injuries on defense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Did you see that Chiefs/Jags game? They couldn't score, either.

Have you watched Philly's games? They're far from dominant.

Also, a five point loss isn't something to feel shame about ffs.

You’re looking at one team’s highlights and comparing it against everything the Bills have done. If you watched any of the Eagles games you would see they are not the dominating team they were last year. Yes they are undefeated, but look at their wins and the opponents they have faced. I’m not saying they aren’t good, but it sounds to me like you already think they shouldn’t even play that game in Philly later this season 

12 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

If you don't think jetlag etc had an effect on today you are crazy.

On top of that,  McD is the HC/DC, that's alot to keep up with. He has to give Dorsey freedom with the offense just to keep up.

If anything Dorsey is on the hot seat, which I wouldn't be in board with after one bad game.

To be fair the coaching staff made the unconventional decision to wait until Friday to travel.   They own some of the fatigue discussion 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ya Digg? said:

You’re looking at one team’s highlights and comparing it against everything the Bills have done. If you watched any of the Eagles games you would see they are not the dominating team they were last year. Yes they are undefeated, but look at their wins and the opponents they have faced. I’m not saying they aren’t good, but it sounds to me like you already think they shouldn’t even play that game in Philly later this season 

Actually, I'm saying the opposite of that, scroll up. I'm NOT an Eagles believer. I watch them pretty much every week.

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

sound statement, babe

now please... defend McDermott. add thoughts to the post instead of mumbling.

every team has injuries. across the league. people who follow this team and post on the message board tend to be hyperbolic but we are not the only team to suffer injuries.

I’m aware of that.

Are you saying there currently are teams down the likes of White, Milano and Jones for probably the season?

Losing those guys isn’t an excuse. It’s a fact that it severely hurts this teams chances.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Actually, I'm saying the opposite of that, scroll up. I'm NOT an Eagles believer. I watch them pretty much every week.

Sorry that’s my bad, I meant to quote the other guy-you and I are on the same side on this one 

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

On the plus side our next 3 games are the Giants, at Pats, Bucs. The Bills SHOULD be 6-2 before heading to Cincinnati. The Bucs could give the Bills a good game but it's at home, so I expect the Bills to win. The Giants and Pats should be slam dunk wins even with our injuries on defense.

McDermott doesn’t lose to teams like the Giants and Pats.  I’m counting those as wins right now.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

McDermott doesn’t lose to teams like the Giants and Pats.  I’m counting those as wins right now.

I just saw the opening line for this week's game. Bills opened as a 14.5 favorite over the Giants. 

17 minutes ago, Beast said:

I’m aware of that.

Are you saying there currently are teams down the likes of White, Milano and Jones for probably the season?

Losing those guys isn’t an excuse. It’s a fact that it severely hurts this teams chances.

i honestly do not know the state of rosters across the league. even not knowing, i would presume that no team has as many injuries like we do at this current state. i do know a team recently suffered a rash of injuries at one point - was that chicago?

i know cinci has a bunch of injuries, the jets got it pretty bad, the giants maybe without daniel jones (maybe a good thing?). the dolphins were missing 3 starters against us and had 2 more go out against us.

i don't disagree at all that injuries hurt. but our offense was not injured, and our defensive schemes and gameplan was *****.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Mark92 said:

This team changed a lot this past off-season and so far we are seeing a lot of the same.  A team that is unstoppable one week and mind boggling on others.  My opinion is that McDermotts feet should be a little hot.  Sorry. 

Sorry but there is a problem with your expectations.

This team is actually the most consistent team in the league other than Chiefs. We have 2nd most wins since 2020, we are leading in point differential in that span by a large margin. These is one team in the league better than Bills in terms of quality and consistency.

Teams you are dreaming about do not exist in real world.

You know which teams play the same every week, at the same elite level?  The 49ers, the Chiefs, the Eagles ... if they happen to lose, they lose tough and they don't lose playing like utter garbage ... the Bills, by contrast, have wild fluctuations, games in which they are obviously outcoached and poorly prepared ... let's see how many McDermott acolytes will vomit or red X this post ... I'll say it again: Sean McDermott should have been fired 5 minutes after the 13 seconds game in Kansas City and should not be coaching a team with Josh Allen as the quarterback ... he'd be a fine defensive coordinator, not a head coach, not in today's NFL ... did you see the 49ers offensive execution last night against Dalls?  That's a well-coached, well-oiled offense primed to win a championship ... the Bills?  They blow teams out in the regular season, lose games they should win, and underperform in the playoffs against elite coaches and organizations.  Cue the vomit, let's go!

• Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, BernieBill said:

You know which teams play the same every week, at the same elite level?  The 49ers, the Chiefs, the Eagles ... if they happen to lose, they lose tough and they don't lose playing like utter garbage ... the Bills, by contrast, have wild fluctuations, games in which they are obviously outcoached and poorly prepared ... let's see how many McDermott acolytes will vomit or red X this post ... I'll say it again: Sean McDermott should have been fired 5 minutes after the 13 seconds game in Kansas City and should not be coaching a team with Josh Allen as the quarterback ... he'd be a fine defensive coordinator, not a head coach, not in today's NFL ... did you see the 49ers offensive execution last night against Dalls?  That's a well-coached, well-oiled offense primed to win a championship ... the Bills?  They blow teams out in the regular season, lose games they should win, and underperform in the playoffs against elite coaches and organizations.  Cue the vomit, let's go!

The Bills haven't lost by more than 1 score in almost 2 years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

oh goody, lets throw a parade for "points differential champs"

They can start it at Niagara Square and end right at City Hall where they can rename the city to Points Differential, NY!

Did you bother reading my post and the one I reacted to?

I am just saying that in terms of consistency there is only one team in the league better than the Bills. It's just completely unrealistic to expect the Bills or any other team for that matter to play 20 perfect games in a row. But what we are experiencing these last 3.5 years is as close to being consistent as possible.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills haven't lost by more than 1 score in almost 2 years. 

Oh really?  That's interesting, I seem to remember a 27-10 ass-kicking in Buffalo at the hands of the Bengals on January 22, 2023 ... must be a figment of my imagination.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Mark92 said:

The way this offense can go from running like a sports car to a dump truck in 7 days is baffling.  At some point the roller coaster needs to stop.  We have all seen how great this team can be.  We only get so many chances with Allen at the helm.  Beane has to be at least pondering the idea of coaching being the issue.  Also is there an issue with this teams conditioning?  Lots of injuries the past 2-3 years. 

Will these type of posts ever stop ? You ever here the saying any given sunday ? 1 bad freakin game & it's all on the HC when the players are the ones that have to execute then you don't even take in the fact that after Daquan, Millano, & Rouseau,  went down they were also with out Tre 4 starters that have HUGE input on this team .

Yah next man up but where you have 4 pro bowl caliber players out & 5 if you include Von plus i think Shaq went out too but it's all about the dam coach come on man !! 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.