Roger Goodell said today's game was an experiment??

Bubba Gump

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Do the intl games really make the league that much $$ tho

I don’t know the numbers but…

The games sell out in 5 mins … plenty of merch being moved over there and in the mid term more TV money …however I doubt that they are getting much European TV money now .. 

To a pimp another dollar or Euro in this case is another dollar. It must be making money. When was the last time the NFL gave something away?

Just now, iinii said:

To a pimp another dollar or Euro in this case is another dollar. It must be making money. When was the last time the NFL gave something away?

I dunno I'm just asking

I guess I don't understand the idea of how the Europe circuit is so profitable they just had to have it

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

I don’t know the numbers but…

The games sell out in 5 mins … plenty of merch being moved over there and in the mid term more TV money …however I doubt that they are getting much European TV money now .. 

bingo! That is the ultimate prize. More TV money. The NFL is marginally concerned with the guy in the seat. They are courting the guys in the suites.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I dunno I'm just asking

I guess I don't understand the idea of how the Europe circuit is so profitable they just had to have it

As long as profit is involved they have to have it. And if you look at what @Aussie Joe had to say you would realize the NFL is planting seeds for another harvest. London is the closest BIG money new market. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Did Coke and McDonalds stay in the US?

Do American movies get shown overseas ?

Where do you think your jerseys are sewn lol

Folks in other countries aren't prevented from purchasing NFL merchandise just because the games are played in the US

Folks in other countries aren't prevented from purchasing NFL merchandise just because the games are played in the US

Vietnam probably. Apparently that isn’t enough. The NBA plays in China for a reason. 

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You really don’t understand why expanding your product to a continent of 300 million of some of the wealthiest people in the planet could be profitable … when dozens of American companies have already walked down that path?

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

You really don’t understand why expanding your product to a continent of 300 million of some of the wealthiest people in the planet could be profitable … when dozens of American companies have already walked down that path?

No idont understand why you think expanding your product to another continent means you have to manufacture it there as well 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I wonder how many Euros were wagered yesterday on the game. That might be one for the analytics department. Shhhh….another dirty little secret. Parlays and prop bets give meaning to meaningless games. Just ask Jamie Foxx 

No idont understand why you think expanding your product to another continent means you have to manufacture it there as well 

Then you will probably never be a billionaire. 

• Like (+1) 1

A small percentage of “manufacturing” (small  at the moment -I’m sure the plan is to increase this percentage ) no doubt assists with European media coverage and maintaining fan engagement … they have playedgames over there for a while now and they seem to be doing something right with growing the interest 

Like I said earlier … the decades long plan will really pay off when European platforms start paying to show the games … probably around the time that they have teams based there permanently 

21 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

A small percentage of “manufacturing” (small  at the moment -I’m sure the plan is to increase this percentage ) no doubt assists with European media coverage and maintaining fan engagement … they have playedgames over there for a while now and they seem to be doing something right with growing the interest 

Like I said earlier … the decades long plan will really pay off when European platforms start paying to show the games … probably around the time that they have teams based there permanently 

They had teams based there permanently, it was called the World League and then NFL Europe and it lost money every year of its existence and was eventually replaced by the International series we have now

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They had teams based there permanently, it was called the World League and then NFL Europe and it lost money every year of its existence and was eventually replaced by the International series we have now

Full of second rate players that couldn’t make the NFL

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

It's a large market for jerseys and merchandise.  US has been pretty much saturated.  That's why they are courting the Swifties...untapped market for merchandise.

Will the league be disclosing what other experiments they will be running? I know we have this time lag experiment.  And I am aware of the ongoing experiment to call defensive holding penalties on the Bills, but not their opponents.  Any others? 

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Will the league be disclosing what other experiments they will be running? I know we have this time lag experiment.  And I am aware of the ongoing experiment to call defensive holding penalties on the Bills, but not their opponents.  Any others? 

Sorry that is confidential and highly classified. It is called the Manhattan Project. 

The more I think about this, the more outrageous it is.

There are jobs on the line in many of these games.  GM's and coaches obsessively try to build rosters to win as many games as possible, and this isn't the NBA or NHL - there are a small # of games in an NFL season to try to make the playoffs, and get a good position in the playoffs.

And they decide to "experiment" to see what happens in this one?  

Unacceptable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

How does fatigue present in a game? Sloppy play, for example, penalties and mental mistakes like dropped passes, holdings, etc… 

What else happens when players are fatigued? Injuries. Terrible look for the league and Goodell. 
Oh and way to rob everyone of a great matchup by having teams play over there…can we just stop with this international bs? If I want to see a Premier League match, I have to hop on a plane and fly across the pond, same should be true for them to come see football. You just proved you will never have a team over there. Owners won’t risk it. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Success said:

The more I think about this, the more outrageous it is.

There are jobs on the line in many of these games.  GM's and coaches obsessively try to build rosters to win as many games as possible, and this isn't the NBA or NHL - there are a small # of games in an NFL season to try to make the playoffs, and get a good position in the playoffs.

And they decide to "experiment" to see what happens in this one?  

Unacceptable.

It really is a scandal. It really calls for an independent investigation from outside the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

How does fatigue present in a game? Sloppy play, for example, penalties and mental mistakes like dropped passes, holdings, etc… 

What else happens when players are fatigued? Injuries. Terrible look for the league and Goodell. 
Oh and way to rob everyone of a great matchup by having teams play over there…can we just stop with this international bs? If I want to see a Premier League match, I have to hop on a plane and fly across the pond, same should be true for them to come see football. You just proved you will never have a team over there. Owners won’t risk it. 

F  Roger Goodell....this pos would never dream of sending overseas one of the elite nfl darlings. He might as well tag us with an L as soon as the schedule came out.

On 10/8/2023 at 3:23 PM, Augie said:

I recommend one thousand comp picks for participating in your little “experiment’!!! 

Roger likes all kinds of experiments: covering up spygate, deflate gate, and most importantly, CTE. 
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The NFL schedule is an unbalanced mess.  Unequal amount of home games, Thursday games creating large discrepancies in rest days, London games, not to mention the huge disparities in strength of schedule.  Pro athletes are creatures of habit.  When you’re playing at different times with different number of rest days almost every week, it’s gotta take a toll.  I don’t think it’s coincidence that our injuries have sky-rocketed since we’ve become prime time darlings and majority of our games aren’t on sunday afternoons anymore.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

If I could erase any game from my memory it would be this one. From the injuries to the crap calls to the overall atmosphere. It all sucked. I can’t wait to be back in Orchard Park again. 

Hey I'm just curious what about the atmosphere there sucked so hard for you in London. The injuries and crap calls are a given. What else didn't you care for? 

13 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

well you know what would solve that problem right? If people refuse to buy tickets to watch or travel to these games.  Should the owners refuse to allow their teams to travel under the circumstances the Bills just had. Absolutely (in retrospect) .  But will they lose money doing so? The owners and their greed for money will make those calls moving forward. 

For me this game was a case of I didn't realize how much jet lag would affect the players. I imagined a long rest in a comfy flight across the pond. Play the game and get out of dodge easy peasy.

**Blech*** I was wrong

what you wrote in red reads 100% logical and spot on mate.

m

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, muppy said:

well you know what would solve that problem right? If people refuse to buy tickets to watch or travel to these games.  Should the owners refuse to allow their teams to travel under the circumstances the Bills just had. Absolutely (in retrospect) .  But will they lose money doing so? The owners and their greed for money will make those calls moving forward. 

For me this game was a case of I didn't realize how much jet lag would affect the players. I imagined a long rest in a comfy flight across the pond. Play the game and get out of dodge easy peasy.

**Blech*** I was wrong

what you wrote in red reads 100% logical and spot on mate.

m

But what is bolded in black I am skeptical of. 

30 minutes ago, muppy said:

yep me too if I am to be honest.

The owners got me this time. But it is a short sighted victory, because the inequity of the entire situation is a huge black mark against the league in my book. The actual game day experience was nice, but only if you can ignore how inherently unfair it was. I don’t want to just ignore that glaring issue of putting money over the game in such an obvious way. 

I came away with a London experience I enjoyed, and a far lesser opinion of the NFL.  That is MY bottom line. I’ll carry this with me for a long time. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/8/2023 at 3:26 PM, Dr.Sack said:

The Patriots own two jets. But Pegula can’t fix up one old Concorde to cut the flight time? Pegula is cheap. 

It is not the flight time. It the effect that the 5 time zone changes has on you body and on your eating and sleeping habits. 

The Bills should have left Buffalo on Tuesday, after the Monday off day for the players to recover.   It takes several days to acclimate to the time change. It would be better to practice while acclimating to the change then to play a game when your feeling like crap. 

Any businessman who travels to the uk knows this. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I think it would have been FAR more fair to have us play a home game in Jacksonville. THAT is how stupid this #@%^ was. 

Think about that. 

The fact that this was a Bills home game may be the most puzzling.   The Jags play in London every year, this was their second game in a row there.  If anyone has a “home field” in England it’s them.  

How/why would you schedule a scenario like this and call the team that travels the home team - thereby removing one of their actual home games from their schedule??

It literally is the same thing as the Bills traveling to Jax to play them, but calling it a Bills home game because well…You wanted to take  a home game from one team and give it to another.   It’s just crazy to think they did this and didn’t realize how stupid it is. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

It is not the flight time. It the effect that the 5 time zone changes has on you body and on your eating and sleeping habits. 

The Bills should have left Buffalo on Tuesday, after the Monday off day for the players to recover.   It takes several days to acclimate to the time change. It would be better to practice while acclimating to the change then to play a game when your feeling like crap. 

Any businessman who travels to the uk knows this. 

when Boom gets up and going i expect them to be shuttling these teams back and forth. specs call for 60-80 passengers per plane

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.