Free Josh???

Billsfan1972

No surprise as when the  Bills are rolling the dinks and dunks and moving the chains is great, but when from the second play of the game you could tell the Jags weren't going to allow the Bills to do that, time to use Josh to his full potential. 

For some reason he is no longer running and defenses seem to know that.  Short passes pad the completion %, but the intermediate route is the Bills bread and butter 

Lawrence and the Jags moved the ball and their offense looked crisp while even early you could see the Bills were lost on offense.

With Allen, completely unacceptable.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No surprise as when the  Bills are rolling the dinks and dunks and moving the chains is great, but when from the second play of the game you could tell the Jags weren't going to allow the Bulls to do that, time to use Josh to his full potential. 

For some reason he is no longer running and defenses seem to know that.  Short passes pad the completion %, but the intermediate route is the Bills bread and butter 

Lawrence and the Jags moved the ball and their offense looked crisp while even early you could see the Bills were lost on offense.

Bills would’ve scored 60 on the bills defense today haha I thought the jags offense was pretty bad honestly shooting themselves in the foot on quite a few occasions vs a barely nfl caliber defense. 

the fact that that was an 11-7 game late was absurd 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

D played bend but don’t break. But overall gave up a ton of easy catches. Jax did not seem to be scared at all, the look slow and 25 points is actually the most they have scored the past 4 weeks. 

O was just bad. Hard to know if it was the players or the scheme. They went with loss vs the jets strategy of constant shotgun draws and horizontal passes to the sideline getting 1 yd chunks. Penalties and drops came up again. Diggs beat his deep and both passes were thrown short. Just an overall bad showing across the board. To me though it starts with the scheme. Dorsey is just killing this O. Even when we are scoring it rarely looks easy, usually requiring crazy broken plays etc. Dorsey is here for a while so hopefully he figures it out. Easiest change would be to get under center more and see how it goes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Always excuses for the defense, especially with McD coachimg them.  

Regardless Josh need better play calling as I could predict most plays.

With all the injuries the defense held this game pretty close for a long time before they ran out of gas, hell if the Offense had figured things out a possession earlier good chance we win, or the refs flag us into oblivion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ngbills said:

D played bend but don’t break. But overall gave up a ton of easy catches. Jax did not seem to be scared at all, the look slow and 25 points is actually the most they have scored the past 4 weeks. 

O was just bad. Hard to know if it was the players or the scheme. They went with loss vs the jets strategy of constant shotgun draws and horizontal passes to the sideline getting 1 yd chunks. Penalties and drops came up again. Diggs beat his deep and both passes were thrown short. Just an overall bad showing across the board. To me though it starts with the scheme. Dorsey is just killing this O. Even when we are scoring it rarely looks easy, usually requiring crazy broken plays etc. Dorsey is here for a while so hopefully he figures it out. Easiest change would be to get under center more and see how it goes. 

And was saying this even when winning.  The offense shouldn't look so laboured.  

Hate those 30 yard passes to the sideline for a gain of 2.

Josh must have been too told not to run.  

• Like (+1) 1

Josh needs to find the balance between running and taking those short routes.  Today he didn’t run enough.  Specifically that 3rd-10 toss up to Knox.  Knox was too covered and Allen had a chance at the first with his feet.  Even if short, it’s 4th and 2 or 3 and maybe we go for it.  

in tough spots I personally like the run - it’s a guaranteed completion.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No surprise as when the  Bills are rolling the dinks and dunks and moving the chains is great, but when from the second play of the game you could tell the Jags weren't going to allow the Bills to do that, time to use Josh to his full potential. 

Either McFloornatt nor Dorsey fin know how to use generational talents.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Always excuses for the defense, especially with McD coachimg them.  

Regardless Josh need better play calling as I could predict most plays.

Welcome to the Dorsey Offense I know the play as I see the motion or setup

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

They played against a pretty good D today…

Perhaps some credit should be sent their way 

They're good, but far from the juggernaut we always make them seem. No excuse for the offensive performance early. It's what lost us the game in spite of everything else

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, buffblue said:

They're good, but far from the juggernaut we always make them seem. No excuse for the offensive performance early. It's what lost us the game in spite of everything else

40 minutes TOP is unacceptable.  Of course because it is McD in charge some people here defend him.  Yes the Defence was shorthanded but too many 3rd down conversions (10-18).  

However, not let Josh run and the dinks and dunks don't work in tight games.

2021 all over again.

Josh is the key and let him play.

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, Warcodered said:

With all the injuries the defense held this game pretty close for a long time before they ran out of gas, hell if the Offense had figured things out a possession earlier good chance we win, or the refs flag us into oblivion.

Agreed. The D was downright amazing considering the key players who were out. Had the offense been fully awake, we'd have won.

19 hours ago, peterpan said:

Josh needs to find the balance between running and taking those short routes.  Today he didn’t run enough.  Specifically that 3rd-10 toss up to Knox.  Knox was too covered and Allen had a chance at the first with his feet.  Even if short, it’s 4th and 2 or 3 and maybe we go for it.  

in tough spots I personally like the run - it’s a guaranteed completion.

The only head scratcher I saw with Josh was another one eerily similar from opening night… 3rd down, rolled out to his left and had plenty of space to pick up the yards with his legs (except this time he had someone wide open next to him for a quick pitch) but chose to throw it downfield into coverage. 

Brain farts all around the team yesterday. 

30 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Agreed. The D was downright amazing considering the key players who were out. Had the offense been fully awake, we'd have won.

They certainly played well for their circumstances but definitely underperformed from situational events. If that’s what we rolled out last week it wouldn’t have been pretty. Heck, if it’s any of the current top producing offenses in the league; 9ers, Minny, Fish, Lions or Chiefs, then the game wouldn’t have been in reach. 

They missed a lot of tackles, blew coverages and didn’t have decent gap control on a lot of run plays. 

Did they play admirably? 100%. 
Downright amazing? Eh. Missing players don’t account for a lot of the lapses. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

Don’t think it was amazing by any standard, but that’s just me. They certainly played well for their circumstances but definitely underperformed from situational events. If that’s what we rolled out last week it wouldn’t have been pretty. Heck, if it’s any of the current top producing offenses in the league; 9ers, Minny, Fish, Lions or Chiefs, then the game wouldn’t have been in reach. 

They missed a lot of tackles, blew coverages and didn’t have decent gap control on a lot of run plays. 

Downright amazing? Eh. 

The simple point is that our fully intact offense needed to pickup our undermanned defense.  They did not.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

They certainly played well for their circumstances but definitely underperformed from situational events. If that’s what we rolled out last week it wouldn’t have been pretty. Heck, if it’s any of the current top producing offenses in the league; 9ers, Minny, Fish, Lions or Chiefs, then the game wouldn’t have been in reach. 

Downright amazing? Eh. Missing players don’t account for a lot of the lapses. 

Hence the "considering..." part of my statement.

• Like (+1) 1

With just a few minutes left in the 4th quarter,  the score was 11-7.  This game felt exactly like the 9-6 game 2 years ago. The only exception was our injury depleted D eventually ran out of gas.  After the 1st qtr, Dorsey needed to identify what their D was doing. But he never did that.  Deep stuff was there for the taking.  Drops & under-throws contributed to our offense struggling. KD just didn't adjust fast enough. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The defense was more than shorthanded. It was all but obliterated by the time the Jags scored those two late TDs. 

As for the playcalling on offense I'd like to say I disagree but I can't. The last three weeks they have played against teams running a lot of zone and the dink and dunk has worked. They were still using that plan yesterday when it was clear, even early, that the Jags were running a ton of man concepts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The defense was more than shorthanded. It was all but obliterated by the time the Jags scored those two late TDs. 

As for the playcalling on offense I'd like to say I disagree but I can't. The last three weeks they have played against teams running a lot of zone and the dink and dunk has worked. They were still using that plan yesterday when it was clear, even early, that the Jags were running a ton of man concepts. 

This is what I don’t get sometimes. I see Mahomes run for big gains against man defense when defenders are turned away like in that Jets game. Allen is a much better runner than Mahomes is but doesn’t seem to be able to exploit an obvious weakness consistently. Could’ve used that yesterday to eked out a tough win. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/8/2023 at 4:54 PM, Billsfan1972 said:

And was saying this even when winning.  The offense shouldn't look so laboured.  

Hate those 30 yard passes to the sideline for a gain of 2.

Josh must have been too told not to run.  

Josh has been told not to run and yes, teams have figured that out. Imagine the longhorns telling vince young not to run in the 2005 season🤦‍♂️. Josh is a dual threat and yes, he needs to be free 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Last week the bills literally almost scored 50 points and their office has been rolling for three weeks straight until they went to London

Why would we change anything? Do you think we’re going to win every game?

2 hours ago, major said:

Josh has been told not to run and yes, teams have figured that out. Imagine the longhorns telling vince young not to run in the 2005 season🤦‍♂️. Josh is a dual threat and yes, he needs to be free 

Yeah, you can really see that he’s been told not to run

That’s why he should whenever he makes it to his second read and nobody’s open

just cut out the designed runs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.