Since 2020, Bills lead NFL in point differential at +573...

Big Turk

8 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

They call us the blurry generation... too many Canadian beers.

The main culprits were the Johnny Labatt's Extra Stock and the Molson Brador

i also slightly recall being pummeled by ice beers...molson and genny ice to be specific.  there was such a unique hangover with those things.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, BBFL said:

Combination of a lot. Think they believed it was a wrap and switched off into reacting on those final 13 seconds. Either way, as it’s been said countless times by a multitude of people/experienced opinions, coaching should have put man coverage on their best two players with coverage bracketed inside. Force the harder throw outside. Can’t let them get off the line and up the field without some form of divert. 

Right, and I guess my point is, what if the coaches called that and the players screwed it up

24 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Right, and I guess my point is, what if the coaches called that and the players screwed it up

Yeah can’t see that being screwed up 2 times on back to back plays. 19 yarder then a 25 yarder with almost the exact same call. Who knows, maybe someone did but multiple times? The series of plays went:

Kick off -> T/O Buffalo -> 19 yards to Hill -> T/O KC -> T/O Buffalo -> 25 yards to Kelce

Plenty of opportunity for coaches and players on the correct page for definitely the Kelce play and certainly the Hill play… you have an extra point and the kickoff to organize yourself for the timeout between that and the Hill reception. 

Games of that magnitude sting when you’re on the losing outcome. More-so when we would have been odds on to possibly beat both Bengals and Rams…

😩

Edited by BBFL

21 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Which is a mind numbing 178 points more than the 2nd place Chiefs at +395.  

When people talk about the Bills teams over the past 3 years as being historically great, they aren't lying.  And this year might be the greatest of them all...

They are not just winning most game, they are steamrolling teams, winning by an average of 10.8 points per game.

image.thumb.png.11b94e5311106ababd4966990fc66020.png

19 hours ago, eball said:

And yet some will use this as some kind of indictment against McDermott because he "hasn't won anything."

As I stated in another thread...only one team wins it all each year, and there is an extraordinary amount of good fortune necessary to go along with an excellent team.

I will go to my grave believing Heath Farwell and Leslie Frazier cost the Bills a shot at a ring two years ago, and a ridiculous flurry of unforeseen circumstances derailed last year's squad.  But they are a juggernaut, make no mistake.  Some of us predicted this three years ago (ahem).

McD is rejuvenated, he loves running this defense, and the players love it.  Watch out, NFL.

Go Bills!

19 and 1, babyyyyyyyyy!!!

Point differentials are almost beside the point.  What's the payoff?

Over the past 5 seasons, the Chiefs have been to 5 AFCC games, 3 SB, winning 2.

They must be blessed with historic amounts of sustained good fortune.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The Moneyball era Oakland A's?

"My [crap] doesn't work in the playoffs"

-GM Billy Beane

The Bills have far more talent than that team ever dreamt of.

10 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

Probably around the same time you had an old Milwaukee. 

The Beast!!   I used to drink those in college sometimes...usually when we ran out of free beer provided by all the kids whose parents worked in the Anheuser-Busch factories in the Lou...got tired of drinking Saint Louis piss water, so we changed it up to Milwaukee piss water.

9 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Probably an easier transition to Labatt Blue Light.

They call us the blurry generation... too many Canadian beers.

The main culprits were the Johnny Labatt's Extra Stock and the Molson Brador

"My name's blurry face and I, care what you think..."

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, MJS said:

The really impressive thing is that when the Bills lose, it is almost always by only a few points and usually requires a bunch of big, self-inflicted wounds, like a bunch of turnovers. The Bills almost never lose by multiple scores. I know there has been a game here and there, but they are rare.

I saw a stat recently that the Bills have only lost something like 3 games by more than 10 points in the last 3 years which is an incredible level of competitiveness in the NFL 

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

When is the last time you had Arby’s?  You can ask me and I will answer it honestly.

It's been a few years...I rarely eat fast food from anywhere...those Gyros are freaking amazing tho.

1 hour ago, teef said:

it's been years, but there's not an arby's anywhere close to me.  i bet you're eating arby's right now.

I finished it right before I replied to you.  I wish I had taken a picture of it and posted it on here.  I ate the sandwich and curly fries and put them on my Christmas dishware.  It has happy snowmen lined around the border with green/red spots over the middle of the plate.

25 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's been a few years...I rarely eat fast food from anywhere...those Gyros are freaking amazing tho.

Arby's is the most underrated restaurant in America.

34 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I don't think you're a baseball fan ....

Did they have anyone comparable to Josh Allen or Stefon Diggs on that team?  No.  

They had a bunch of Gabe Davis's and Dane Jackson's

23 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

…and yet not even a trip to the AFC Conference Championship game. 

😈😈😈

glad you found the cloud in the silver lining

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Arby's is the most underrated restaurant in America.

Arby's is a money-laundering front

you never see anyone there, and yet they're everywhere

23 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The last time the Bills lost in regulation by more than 4 points was against Indy 41-15 on November 21st 2021. The last time they lost by more than 3 points in regulation was  December 6th 2021 in the wind game to the Patriots 14-10.

Since that time they have lost in OT twice by 6 points to the Buccanneers and Jets and the other regular season losses were by 3,3 and 2 points.

That's pretty crazy. At this point it pretty much takes an Act of God AND the Bills killing themselves with missed plays and turnovers AND the other team performing some type of miracle to beat them.

We're basically the Brady Pats of the division now. You have to play us perfectly and every ball has to bounce your way for your team to beat the Bills and even then 90% of the time it isn't enough.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, uninja said:

We're basically the Brady Pats of the division now. You have to play us perfectly and every ball has to bounce your way for your team to beat the Bills and even then 90% of the time it isn't enough.

And we don't even need the refs in our pocket either.

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Point differentials are almost beside the point.  What's the payoff?

Over the past 5 seasons, the Chiefs have been to 5 AFCC games, 3 SB, winning 2.

They must be blessed with historic amounts of sustained good fortune.

They were blessed with favorable regular season schedules and a crappy division that made it easy for them to claim the #1 seed and a bye. 

They also lost two of those AFCCGs at home and were obliterated in one of the Super Bowls. 

Wow. It's also amazing how balanced it is. They are first in both points scored and points given up.

How the heck have we not won a Super Bowl? The same coaches that can win this consistently on both sides of the ball are capable of winning it all.

We need a little luck. Sure maybe we are not the best team over the last 4 years - even with that point differential. (Have to give that to KC obviously.) But we are and have been a really, really good team and are plenty good enough to win at least one Super Bowl, hopefully more, if a few cards fall our way.

Please let it happen!

On 10/4/2023 at 11:16 AM, ngbills said:

Regular season champs

Unfortunately we have been regular season second place in wins which has given the chiefs a huge edge in the playoffs and this all began just after the 2 seed stopped getting a bye 

people talk like regular season success doesn’t effect playoffs and that is absolutely not true 

20 minutes ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

Wow. It's also amazing how balanced it is. They are first in both points scored and points given up.

How the heck have we not won a Super Bowl? The same coaches that can win this consistently on both sides of the ball are capable of winning it all.

We need a little luck. Sure maybe we are not the best team over the last 4 years - even with that point differential. (Have to give that to KC obviously.) But we are and have been a really, really good team and are plenty good enough to win at least one Super Bowl, hopefully more, if a few cards fall our way.

Please let it happen!

The nfl playoffs has a crazy high variance and it is especially high for teams that don’t get home field/a first round bye.  The best team winning the superbowl is pretty rare in general if you’re looking at an individual couple of years 

everyone’s spoiled by what NE did but really most teams with an elite qb are very good for a decade or more and they only win 1-2 superbowls 

the chiefs have been insanely lucky as far as seeding goes…any time they haven’t been the 1 seed the 1 seed has pooped the bed and they get the home afc championship anyway 😂

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The Moneyball era Oakland A's?

"My [crap] doesn't work in the playoffs"

-GM Billy Beane

That seemed more like it only worked while he had the element of surprise he missed his shot and once the league knew what he was doing he once again couldn't afford to keep up.

20 minutes ago, eball said:

They were blessed with favorable regular season schedules and a crappy division that made it easy for them to claim the #1 seed and a bye. 

They also lost two of those AFCCGs at home and were obliterated in one of the Super Bowls. 

AFCE from 2020-2022 (the time referenced by OP), the AFCE is weak. Miami coming on last year not withstanding.

And knocking the Chiefs for not winning all 5 AFCC games as well as 3 of 3 SBs (losing to the GOAT) is probably the worst comeback you could have mustered.

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

AFCE from 2020-2022 (the time referenced by OP), the AFCE is weak. Miami coming on last year not withstanding.

And knocking the Chiefs for not winning all 5 AFCC games as well as 3 of 3 SBs (losing to the GOAT) is probably the worst comeback you could have mustered.

Compared to which division?  

The stats don't show this.  They weren't the BEST division, but they have a winning record since 2020.

image.thumb.png.76e85b7f1a0f17faee365079d29d7c03.png

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Compared to which division?  

The stats don't show this.  They weren't the BEST division, but they have a winning record since 2020.

image.thumb.png.76e85b7f1a0f17faee365079d29d7c03.png

AFCW.  That table shows AFCE is worse.   NE has 1 winning season. Miami had one double digit win season. Jets have been awful. 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

AFCW.  That table shows AFCE is worse.   NE has 1 winning season. Miami had one double digit win season. Jets have been awful. 

By 2.5 games over 3 years?  That is what you are trying to go with?  That is statistically meaningless. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They were favored in that Super Bowl. They have been favored in all five AFCCGs in their stadium.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

By 2.5 games over 3 years?  That is what you are trying to go with?  That is statistically meaningless

I agree.  eball said AFCW has been trash--a benefit to KC.  I said so has the AFCE, equally favoring the Bills.  Your table confirms this.

49 minutes ago, eball said:

They were favored in that Super Bowl. They have been favored in all five AFCCGs in their stadium.

lol...Good point.  Buncha bums only winning 3 of 5 CC's in a row. 

keep digging!

I was thinking last year, they were on their way to become an historically-remembered team along the lines of the 85 Bears, 91 Redskins, 07 Patriots, etc...  that got derailed due to injuries and logistical matters.  

It looks like they have a good crack at it again.  With the way everything seems to be coming together at the moment on all facets of this team.... as well as their schedule, this could be the year.  I saw the 'bold' predictor guy on ESPN changed his prediction for the Bills from Deonte Harty would be their 2nd most productive receiver to 'They will win 15 games'.  If the Bills win 15 games, I would say they would be very difficult to beat out for the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

That seemed more like it only worked while he had the element of surprise he missed his shot and once the league knew what he was doing he once again couldn't afford to keep up.

It was really about Billy Beane’s (hmm, Billy Beane, Brandon Beane, coincidence?) understanding that winning a short baseball playoff series rewards different roster construction compared to finishing with the best record in a 162 game season. Specifically, we saw that although the A’s had the deepest and objectively “the best” starting rotation, they didn’t have an absolute shutdown/one game is all the matters dominant ace. They also didn’t have the dominant closet. They did everything right when you are constructing a team with the idea of winning 100 games and winning the division every year. But a 4-7 game series (including off days, requiring less pitching depth) is a different animal. 
I’m not saying the Bills are in the same situation, but there are commonalities.

15 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It was really about Billy Beane’s (hmm, Billy Beane, Brandon Beane, coincidence?) understanding that winning a short baseball playoff series rewards different roster construction compared to finishing with the best record in a 162 game season. Specifically, we saw that although the A’s had the deepest and objectively “the best” starting rotation, they didn’t have an absolute shutdown/one game is all the matters dominant ace. They also didn’t have the dominant closet. They did everything right when you are constructing a team with the idea of winning 100 games and winning the division every year. But a 4-7 game series (including off days, requiring less pitching depth) is a different animal. 
I’m not saying the Bills are in the same situation, but there are commonalities.

At least Billy Beane won a championship with the A's in 1989 although I don't know if he qualified to get a ring due to only playing 37 games for them that year.

Honestly the Bills kind of remind me of the Edmonton Oilers before they won their first Stanley Cup...they kept running roughshod over teams in the regular season and then losing in the playoffs...to the point their GM admitted that if they hadn't ended up winning their first Stanley Cup when they did, the roster would have likely been changed significantly...then they went on to win 5 Stanley Cups in the next 7 years...

unlikely the Bills will do that, but the similarities are there between the teams.

image.thumb.png.6eff711416405943b3b67f7bc2ec6714.png

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

As an A's fan why did you bring up 1990? It was a bad year between the A's and Bills it was a painful year for me to say the least. 

Just now, The Jokeman said:

As an A's fan why did you bring up 1990? It was a bad year between the A's and Bills it was a painful year for me to say the least. 

I mean they had just won the World Series the year before in 1989 when Bills fans had to sit through watching Ronnie Harmon drop a TD to win the game in the endzone against Cleveland...not the same pain.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

At least Billy Beane won a championship with the A's in 1989 although I don't know if he qualified to get a ring due to only playing 37 games for them that year.

Honestly the Bills kind of remind me of the Edmonton Oilers before they won their first Stanley Cup...they kept running roughshod over teams in the regular season and then losing in the playoffs...to the point their GM admitted that if they hadn't ended up winning their first Stanley Cup when they did, the roster would have likely been changed significantly...then they went on to win 5 Stanley Cups in the next 7 years...

unlikely the Bills will do that, but the similarities are there between the teams.

image.thumb.png.6eff711416405943b3b67f7bc2ec6714.png

Interesting comparison.

I saw something similar too with the Denver Nuggets last year. We had just hit the point after 2021-22 where there was a lot of talk about the current roster not being good enough to get over the hump. A couple roster tweaks, a run of good health, and they're NBA champions. So yeah, when you've got a proven regular season winner sometimes it may be best to stay the course and your playoff luck will start to change.

I think it matters.

We all love to soak up nostalgia about the 90s teams.  That was fun.  

The drought years?  While they had there moments and the thrill of the chase can be fun... and to their credit, they never really hit rock bottom too much... it was filled with lousy football.

This has been a fantastic run.  It has been fun, the stadium has been rocking, the Bills have been among the cornerstone teams in the league for awhile.  Great plays and memories.  If this is it, in 25 years (if I am still alive), I will be looking back and remembering a lot of good stuff, even without a superbowl victory

Big picture though, they really do need to win a superbowl.  It is a giant elephant in the room while reminiscing about those 90s teams and a real tragedy that team never won.  It would be a shame (and a hit to everyone's pride), if they fail to do this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.