THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Squish

Shaw66

Great post, as always! I was very impressed by the Bills yesterday. Special props to Dorsey - the play calling was about as good as I’ve seen, and he and Allen seemed to be perfectly on the same page. 

There was a 3rd and 2 fairly early on where we had a wide open receiver  in the flat who easily picked up the first. Those are the kind of easy money plays that guys like Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan have made careers off of. IMO, they’ve generally been lacking in our offense, especially since Daboll left. That one yesterday was very encouraging and I hope to see more like it. 

• Like (+1) 5

The Dolphins are still Little Brother.  Have been since the 90s and Kelly-Marino. Sometimes they think they can take on Big Bro cause they kicked their little friends asses, but the Big Bro puts them in a headlock and gives them a nougie and makes them yell "Uncle" before laughing at them and shoving them away and telling them to "Go play with your friends". 

All that motion and misdirection works far better against undisciplined and undetailed defenses that are not fundamentally sounds far better than it works against a defense like ours that might be the most fundamentally sound in the entire NFL. We simply don't go for it.  This forces Tua to play to his weakness which is having to play off script and having to hold the ball because his first and sometimes second reads are taken away. 

They will still make some plays and score some points because they have a ton of speed and talent, but they aren't putting up 70 or anything close to it.

That's the difference between Tua and Allen...when Tua can make the easy play and his first read is there and wide open, he is awesome.  When it's not...he can struggle a bit.  Allen excels at the off-script AND can still kill you when the easy stuff is there too, sometimes he just doesn't want to take it...but it seems like he has finally decided to take it...maybe Steinfeld told him no post game action if he plays hero ball, because he has made a concerted effort to play smart, yet still aggressive football and it's really paying off...Bills become the first team in NFL history to win 3 consecutive games by 28+ points after losing their first game.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The Bills were on the verge of settling for a field goal when, on third and five, Allen took the easy throw to Harty in the left flat.  Allen’s throw was short, and Harty had to go to his knees to make the catch, short of the sticks.  He got up and made a nifty little run for the first down.   Allen hit Diggs for the touchdown on the next play.   Allen checking down to Harty, the smart play, and Harty’s run, were worth four points. 

That play, plus the Knox "angry run," Diggs' TD, and Kincaid's YAC showed Josh that he can take the safer throws and trust his receivers to turn them into "hero" plays. The fact that he's taking these high-percentage throws shows that he's becoming more mature. And the fact that he was rewarded for those decisions makes it likely that he'll continue doing it.

And Dorsey's game plan was brilliant. It encouraged Josh to do exactly that - look for the shorter plays early and let that open up the big plays later.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

That play, plus the Knox "angry run," Diggs' TD, and Kincaid's YAC showed Josh that he can take the safer throws and trust his receivers to turn them into "hero" plays. The fact that he's taking these high-percentage throws shows that he's becoming more mature. And the fact that he was rewarded for those decisions makes it likely that he'll continue doing it.

And Dorsey's game plan was brilliant. It encouraged Josh to do exactly that - look for the shorter plays early and let that open up the big plays later.

Allen is completing 75% of his passes...that's ridiculous.  If he continues playing like this, I don't see how the Bills don't score 30 every game, they will be unstoppable.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

The offense was simply beautiful. 

And so was the defense.   

It was high quality football.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

The way this team is clicking in all three phases of the game is exceptional.  AND, as an added bonus, the coaching and play calling has been incredible.

This is a VERY VERY good team.  I would be ALL in, if GM, in bringing in anyone capable of helping with the Tre White issue.   THIS IS THE TIME.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

The way this team is clicking in all three phases of the game is exceptional.  AND, as an added bonus, the coaching and play calling has been incredible.

This is a VERY VERY good team.  I would be ALL in, if GM, in bringing in anyone capable of helping with the Tre White issue.   THIS IS THE TIME.  

They will be fine without Tre...Elam is going to surprise a lot of people I bet when he gets his chance.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Allen is completing 75% of his passes...that's ridiculous.  If he continues playing like this, I don't see how the Bills don't score 30 every game, they will be unstoppable.

When I started talking about completion percentage a week or two ago, I compared the Bills to the 49ers.  They have unbelievable skill players, but the Bills aren't too shabby.   What I said was that Allen has to play like Brock Purdy - just take the easy throw and let the skill players do their thing.  The difference, of course, is that when you need your quarterback to make a play, the 49ers have Brock Purdy.  The Bills have Allen.   

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Shaw66 said:

When I started talking about completion percentage a week or two ago, I compared the Bills to the 49ers.  They have unbelievable skill players, but the Bills aren't too shabby.   What I said was that Allen has to play like Brock Purdy - just take the easy throw and let the skill players do their thing.  The difference, of course, is that when you need your quarterback to make a play, the 49ers have Brock Purdy.  The Bills have Allen.   

Sometimes you watch the ball on those out routes across the field and think the DB has a chance to make a play on the ball but then you see how fast the ball gets there and the DB is still nowhere near the Bills player...that's when you realize how special his arm strength is compared to virtually everyone else.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

They will be fine without Tre...Elam is going to surprise a lot of people I bet when he gets his chance.

I think you're right about this.  Bill are going with Benford and Jackson, both of whom can play, with Elam now working his way back into the rotation.  The Bills will miss White, for sure, but they'll be fine. 

I feel so bad for White.  What a shame.  

Just now, Big Turk said:

Sometimes you watch the ball on those out routes across the field and think the DB has a chance to make a play on the ball but then you see how fast the ball gets there and the DB is still nowhere near the Bills player...that's when you realize how special his arm strength is compared to virtually everyone else.

Did you watch Mac Jones?   You've gotta be a REALLY smart thrower if you have a noodle arm like his.  Allen is now learning to be a really smart thrower, AND he has an arm that can make the throws Jones dreams of. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The Bills beat the Dolphins in Orchard Park on Sunday, 48-20.  It was one of those games where the main statistics don’t tell the story.  24 first downs to 20, 414 to 393 total yards.  Pretty even, huh?

Some numbers give a better picture.  Two takeaways to none.  Four sacks to two.  Nine QB hits to three. 

Whatever the stats say, ten minutes into the second quarter the Bills took control of the game and never let go.  That’s when the Bills scored their third consecutive touchdown to open the game, and that’s when the Bills’ defense took over.  The Jets couldn’t match that third touchdown, and before long it was 28-14, and then 31-14 to end the half.  The Dolphins opened the third quarter with a touchdown, but the Bills simply weren’t letting them back into the game.

good write up!  just noticed 1 typo.

I’m not an X’s and O’s guy, but I’m a sports guy, and while I can’t diagnose and break things down with expertise, I can pay attention and get the overall vibe of what’s happening.

What I saw yesterday was two very strong offenses start out going tit for tat, straight to a 14-14 score. It had the potential to be a long day, track meet, shootout, whatever you want to call it.

But I also knew if the D eventually clamped down as they tend to do, and Josh executed smartly and efficiently, there was no reason we couldn’t come out on top. And boy, is that ever what happened.

We will see the Fish again, everyone knows that, but I think we learned that as long as the D keeps everything in front of them (no small feat with the burners Miami has) and takes away Tua’s quick strike first read, they aren’t 70-point world beaters anymore. 

What a game. Once we were up 2-3 scores, it was the best sustained energy I’ve felt in the stadium in a long time. 

edit: I’ll also say I LOVE how the Bills/Fish rivalry finally has some real spice to it again. It’s been a while. 

Edited by jimmy10

2 minutes ago, Beach said:

good write up!  just noticed 1 typo.

Thanks.   I did that twice; I found it once before I published, didn't see the other one. 

I was writing while I was watching the Jets last night. I was disappointed that they didn't get it done last night.   

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Man, I hope.

Tre has a reputation that Elam doesn't though.  I hope you're right in the long term.

He played very well late in the year last year.

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you're right about this.  Bill are going with Benford and Jackson, both of whom can play, with Elam now working his way back into the rotation.  The Bills will miss White, for sure, but they'll be fine. 

I feel so bad for White.  What a shame.  

Did you watch Mac Jones?   You've gotta be a REALLY smart thrower if you have a noodle arm like his.  Allen is now learning to be a really smart thrower, AND he has an arm that can make the throws Jones dreams of. 

Yeah that looked like a 25 arm strength Super Tecmo Bowl Throw from Jones that just hung up there forever 😂

That was an absolute mauling of the mammals! And prior to yesterday, it wasn’t only Nick Wright that had the Fish at or nearest the top of the heap. That’s what happens when you lay a beating on someone that hadn’t been seen in multiple decades! 

Which obviously elevates the Bills neck and neck with the 9ers and the Chiefs as NFL best in 2033. Still, unlike the prior 2 seasons, I am not jumping out of my shoes & skin. On paper… the Bills should go on a 7-0 run- including the sell the stock Bungles with their star QB clearly hobbled. But, that is why you play the games.

The Bills had the NFL’s 3rd/5th most difficult schedule, so it is critical that they try and run it up to 10-1, before the last half of the sked sets them up @Philly, @Chiefs, Home to the Girls @ Chargers and finishing at the Fish. A 3-2 finish in those should have them neck and neck for that critical #1 Seed.

We shall see,beginning with Jax in Blimey.

GO BILLS!

Shaw - You'll enjoy the first section of this article:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/10/2/23899225/nfl-week-4-hot-read-josh-allen-buffalo-bills-miami-dolphins-philadelphia-eagles

It discusses exactly what you've been saying, which is that when Allen takes the easy throws 80% of the time it keeps the offense on schedule, and he can still sprinkle a few 1 of 1 plays throughout the game.

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Maybe josh trusts his mates to actually make a play this year? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The Dolphins are still Little Brother.  Have been since the 90s and Kelly-Marino. Sometimes they think they can take on Big Bro cause they kicked their little friends asses, but the Big Bro puts them in a headlock and gives them a nougie and makes them yell "Uncle" before laughing at them and shoving them away and telling them to "Go play with your friends". 

The Bills did not give them a nougie - they gave them a wedgie to their jock straps so bad you wonder how they were not taken off.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Mac Jones is Nate Peterman if Nate Peterman was a unlikable sissified d-bag punk. 

20 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The Bills did not give them a nougie - they gave them a wedgie to their jock straps so bad you wonder how they were not taken off.

They gave them a swirlie in a full bowl without the kindness of a courtesy flush. 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Shaw - You'll enjoy the first section of this article:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/10/2/23899225/nfl-week-4-hot-read-josh-allen-buffalo-bills-miami-dolphins-philadelphia-eagles

It discusses exactly what you've been saying, which is that when Allen takes the easy throws 80% of the time it keeps the offense on schedule, and he can still sprinkle a few 1 of 1 plays throughout the game.

Thanks, Hap.   That is exactly what I've been saying.   I love the reference to "bottled lightning."   That's what Allen is.  And what I particularly like is that after Solak describes the new Allen, short balls, easy passes, he goes to say "And then, when the defense finally covers all the routes and gets pressure on the quarterback, the cork pops out of the bottle, and the lightning runs free.  You've finally stopped the Bills offense, only to unleash the most most dangerous player on its roster:  Allen doing whatever he wants to do."   

I think Solak is right on the money here.  

Beane and McDermott have built a starting roster of 21 guys who probably are the best 21 any team puts on the field.  The 22nd guy is Allen, who makes magic like no one else.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

So many positives from yesterday that there are simply too many to name.

What I loved was the Bills attacking offensively and defensively combined with physicality! It’s been awhile since we’ve seen that play out on both sides of the ball.

Agree,

Buffalo's coaching staff tops the list for me. Bills HC/DC McD and much maligned OC Ken Dorsey called the perfect game. 

Great write up.

Thanks 

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

funny

as i watched and re-watched Diggs escape those two "tackles" on his long touchdown run, i kept thinking that Diggs' body-language seemed like he suddenly discovered he was wearing uncomfortable underwear and had to take it off with one hand (while keeping the football in the other).   Like it was a minor discomfort that, once finally taken off and allowed to gently slide to the floor, he was free to continue to the end zone.

Those Fish are sure some manly tacklers

That really was a season saver as far as winning the division goes.  If we lost that one we’d essentially be down 3 games because  even if we evened up by winning the rematch in Miami we’ve still got that jets loss haunting our division record lol 2022 we were both 2-0 when we lost to them the first time so not quite as scary 

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Up and down the lineup, guys made plays.

Now that I've actually read your report (brilliant work as usual by the way) I wanted to comment on this line - This was the first game in a long time where I can remember multiple offensive players not named Allen or Diggs creating plays. I'll say that again - creating plays. Not catching a perfect pass and immediately getting tackled. Not getting schemed open. Creating. It's something our offense has been missing badly the past few years.

You pointed out the examples. Harty's instincts to quickly get up before being touched and get to the sticks. Knox bulldozing over a man to get a 1st down. Cook smartly went deep on Allen's scramble drill and ended up in perfect position to make a huge catch with wide open grass in front of him. Murray had that one brilliant catch and run along the sideline where he picked up a bunch of YAC.

(Side note - Murray might be my favorite addition of the offseason. He is the definition of a true pro and maximizes every opportunity he gets.)

And then of course Allen and Diggs did what they always do, and then some.

Elite QB play, elite WR1 play, and role players creating plays when they get their opportunity. That's a recipe for an offense that blows the doors off their opponent.

Now I just want to see it again. I'm not holding out for another 48 point performance, I'm not THAT greedy, but I want to see the role players continue to create plays that rise above the scheme and above Allen's right arm.

All offseason my biggest concern was not having a true #2 pass catcher to complement Diggs, and that concern honestly still nags at me a bit. Eventually the defenses will tighten up and we'll be in playoff football against some real juggernauts. But if we get what we got yesterday from our role players, maybe we can make it work. Maybe every week we'll have a different three-headed monster that combines to be the #2. No other Super Bowl team in recent memory has done it that way. But no other team in recent memory has had Josh Allen playing at the level we've seen him at these past three weeks.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

As mad as I was after the Jets game, I think the transition Josh has now embraced will be the turning point for this whole season.  

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

All that motion and misdirection works far better against undisciplined and undetailed defenses that are not fundamentally sounds far better than it works against a defense like ours that might be the most fundamentally sound in the entire NFL. We simply don't go for it.

This is the same lesson teams had to learn about Sean McVay's offense when he first came onto the scene. Ignore all the eye candy, just play your man or zone. Once you remove the BS it's not that complicated to defend, as long as you have 7 players working as a hive mind (easier said than done of course).

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Now that I've actually read your report (brilliant work as usual by the way) I wanted to comment on this line - This was the first game in a long time where I can remember multiple offensive players not named Allen or Diggs creating plays. I'll say that again - creating plays. Not catching a perfect pass and immediately getting tackled. Not getting schemed open. Creating. It's something our offense has been missing badly the past few years.

You pointed out the examples. Harty's instincts to quickly get up before being touched and get to the sticks. Knox bulldozing over a man to get a 1st down. Cook smartly went deep on Allen's scramble drill and ended up in perfect position to make a huge catch with wide open grass in front of him. Murray had that one brilliant catch and run along the sideline where he picked up a bunch of YAC.

(Side note - Murray might be my favorite addition of the offseason. He is the definition of a true pro and maximizes every opportunity he gets.)

And then of course Allen and Diggs did what they always do, and then some.

Elite QB play, elite WR1 play, and role players creating plays when they get their opportunity. That's a recipe for an offense that blows the doors off their opponent.

Now I just want to see it again. I'm not holding out for another 48 point performance, I'm not THAT greedy, but I want to see the role players continue to create plays that rise above the scheme and above Allen's right arm.

All offseason my biggest concern was not having a true #2 pass catcher to complement Diggs, and that concern honestly still nags at me a bit. Eventually the defenses will tighten up and we'll be in playoff football against some real juggernauts. But if we get what we got yesterday from our role players, maybe we can make it work. Maybe every week we'll have a different three-headed monster that combines to be the #2. No other Super Bowl team in recent memory has done it that way. But no other team in recent memory has had Josh Allen playing at the level we've seen him at these past three weeks.

Thanks for these interesting comments.  

As for Davis, I'm fine and have been.   I think a #2 is a guy who takes advantage of mismatches created by the offense.   I think that's exactly what his touchdown catch was - a clever play design that forced a defender into a decision, maybe just instantaneously confused the guy, whatever.  The point is, he let Davis run free, and Davis made a very nice catch.  Uncontested, but that's what you expect your #2 to do - get the ball when he isn't contested.   Nice if he's more than that, but what we saw from him yesterday was enough for me.  But we've beaten that dead horse for months now.  

I'm really glad that you focused on the fact that everyone was making plays.   I agree about each of the plays you mentioned, and there are plenty more.  Look at the defense:  Groot was seriously engaged throughout the game, and Milano.  The entire defensive line was getting great push - they all understood that on the snap, they were going to power straight to Tua.  It's like each of them decided he was going to win, every time.  

The various replays people have posted showing Bernard and Hyde and Milano talking regularly pre-snap.  They knew their assignments, they knew what they were looking at across the line.   They were all tuned in.  

I worry that it was playoff football for the Bills - that it was such a must-win game that it's not sustainable.   I don't think it is; I think they're just learning what it takes.  I think it wasn't just Josh that showed he understood what it would take to win; I think we saw a team full of guys who decided that they were going to play at another level. 

I wrote somewhere, before the season began, that I think the Bills have a new kind of focus since the playoff loss to the Bengals.  I think they've made up their minds, individually and as a team, that they're going to do what it takes to win every game, including postseason games.   They are going to play every game with the intensity and focus that the game requires.   Somehow, they stumbled badly out of the gate, but the last three weeks they've looked like a team on a mission.  Against the Dolphins, I think they learned that they can focus, they can be intense, and that they can win any game.   

Diggs was celebrating on the sideline with his teammates, but it wasn't jumping-up-and-down overcome with happiness, like it was some kind of upset.  He looked like he was talking to his teammates, telling them, "See, we can do this.  This is what it takes."

The perfect game against the Patriots was amazing - it was perfect.  But the Dolphins game was something different; that game yesterday was a statement about what the Bills can be, it was a statement made by the players to the Dolphins, but most importantly to themselves.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks, Hap.   That is exactly what I've been saying.   I love the reference to "bottled lightning."   That's what Allen is.  And what I particularly like is that after Solak describes the new Allen, short balls, easy passes, he goes to say "And then, when the defense finally covers all the routes and gets pressure on the quarterback, the cork pops out of the bottle, and the lightning runs free.  You've finally stopped the Bills offense, only to unleash the most most dangerous player on its roster:  Allen doing whatever he wants to do."   

I think Solak is right on the money here.  

Beane and McDermott have built a starting roster of 21 guys who probably are the best 21 any team puts on the field.  The 22nd guy is Allen, who makes magic like no one else.  

In order to defend Allen they need someone to act as spy and that needs to be someone as strong and fast as Josh Allen to tackle him.  

Unfortunately the person who can do this works for Bills as a QB.

Just now, Limeaid said:

In order to defend Allen they need someone to act as spy and that needs to be someone as strong and fast as Josh Allen to tackle him.  

Unfortunately the person who can do this works for Bills as a QB.

I think spying Allen has worked in the past.  Teams were forced to spy in order to try to keep Josh from running all over the field.  

I think teams can't spy the new Josh nearly as effectively.  Josh is running less, so the spy is a wasted defender.  He's just a guy playing a one-man zone in the short middle and isn't very helpful defending the pass.   He won't follow receivers crossing through the middle, which will create opportunities.

It's really very simple.  Josh Allen is a football player who can throw better than almost any quarterback who's ever played.  He isn't Michael Vick or Lamar Jackson, but he is a faster and more powerful runner than just about every other quarterback who's ever played.  He's playing in an organization full of players and coaches who are fierce and determined competitors.   If he's running an effective offense, Allen's presence on the field is almost like having a twelfth man on the field.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, WhoTom said:

@Shaw66 good stuff as always.

@WhoTom I think you're on to something here.  The 2019-2020 Josh had a security blanket first down (or 3rd n short) generator named Beasley.   Josh also did learn to take the short throws, and do it very effectively in several games.

After the Game 7 Miami win where Beasley took a hard shot to the chest that we later learned broke multiple ribs then the Game 8 Jax loss where Beasley probably aggrevated them, Josh no longer had that.  Oh, he got Beasley back after 4 low-productivity games and Beasley made catches and some yards, but he was no longer quite the same "fight for every blade of grass, count on a 1st down" player (though he did show up vs. KC in the playoffs).  Then the players the Bills counted on to replace Beasley (and Manny Sands) in 2022, for different reasons did not step up.

So Josh reverted to "hero ball Josh", encouraged perhaps by Dorsey's more aggressive play calling and coaching, and it spiraled out of control.

Hopefully the Jets fiasco was the course-correction Josh needed, and we're back on the right path offensively.

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

If he's running an effective offense

Don't take in personally. I stronly object to the idea that there has been something "wrong" "deficent" or "incomplete" about Allens play the prior three seasons.  Allen as been the best QB in the league for several years.  This is the first season he has a good oline in front of him, and a much stronger compliment of skill players around him. Allen is not different. The cast around him is different.  Allen simply has been given more options on most plays than in the past. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Don't take in personally. I stronly object to the idea that there has been something "wrong" "deficent" or "incomplete" about Allens play the prior three seasons.  Allen as been the best QB in the league for several years.  This is the first season he has a good oline in front of him, and a much stronger compliment of skill players around him. Allen is not different. The cast around him is different.  Allen simply has been given more options on most plays than in the past. 

I don't agree, but that's an interesting view of it.  I mean, there has been a steady increase in talent on the roster since McBeane arrived.  Every year, a lot of people around here would agree that the roster is the best the Bills have had.   Receiving corps keeps getting better, offensive line has gotten progressively better, d line too.    Running backs.   So, yes, I think it's true that Allen has great personnel now.  Try to imagined Allen in his second season surrounded by this talent.   You're saying that Allen would have been as good as he's been in the last few weeks.  

I don't buy it, but it does make sense.  I've always thought the Chiefs and Reid were exactly the right place for Mahomes, and that there were other places where Mahomes might have succeeded.  Would he have succeeded in Buffalo, with McDermott in his first year?  Part of what Mahomes had was a collection of good skill position guys.  I don't remember who they had, but Reid already was running a solid offense.   So, yeah, I get it.  

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The Bills beat the Dolphins in Orchard Park on Sunday, 48-20.  It was one of those games where the main statistics don’t tell the story.  24 first downs to 20, 414 to 393 total yards.  Pretty even, huh?

Some numbers give a better picture.  Two takeaways to none.  Four sacks to two.  Nine QB hits to three. 

Whatever the stats say, ten minutes into the second quarter the Bills took control of the game and never let go.  That’s when the Bills scored their third consecutive touchdown to open the game, and that’s when the Bills’ defense took over.  The Dolphins couldn’t match that third touchdown, and before long it was 28-14, and then 31-14 to end the half.  The Dolphins opened the third quarter with a touchdown, but the Bills simply weren’t letting them back into the game.

It was a big game.  A really big game.  A Dolphins win and would have given them a two-game lead over the Bills in the AFC East.  In the weeks before, the Dolphins had shown a seemingly unstoppable, quick-strike offense the likes of which the NFL hadn’t seen in years. 

Sean McDermott, his coaches, and his players were up to the challenge.  They didn’t exactly shut down the Dolphins, except on third and fourth down, where the Dolphins were 3 for 10 and 0 for 3. 

The Bills were dominant. 

Because the Dolphins were going to get some points, the Bills didn’t need just the defense.  The offense had to show up, and it did.  Oh, boy, did it.  The new Josh Allen, the guy who’s learned how to put up gaudy completion percentages by taking the easy throw, was deadly.  He didn’t throw long unless he had single coverage – once to Diggs for a TD and once for an interference call, one TD to Davis, one incomplete to Shakir, maybe one or two more.  The rest of his throws were easy-peasy, to all sorts of receivers, and the chains kept moving. 

I’ve been focused on completion percentage lately.  It’s the key to success for Josh Allen and the Bills, and it’s no surprise that after three stellar outings, Allen leads the league in that category.

Why is completion percentage so important?   Because the more chances the skill position players have to make plays, the more yards the team gains, the more first downs the team gets.  More first downs means even more touches for the skill players.  It feeds itself.

Why are touches for skill players so important?  Because when the skill players get the ball, they have opportunities to make plays, and sometimes they do.  It was 34-20, still a game, when Micah Hyde intercepted Tua.  The Bills were on the verge of settling for a field goal when, on third and five, Allen took the easy throw to Harty in the left flat.  Allen’s throw was short, and Harty had to go to his knees to make the catch, short of the sticks.  He got up and made a nifty little run for the first down.   Allen hit Diggs for the touchdown on the next play.   Allen checking down to Harty, the smart play, and Harty’s run, were worth four points. 

The benefit of having a player like Allen is not to call his number as a regular part of the offense.  What makes Allen great is that when all else has failed, he can make plays that no one else in the league, except Mahomes, can make.  His short TD pass to Diggs over the middle was sweet and special.  His touchdown run was vintage Allen.  Oh, and when it comes to getting the ball to the skill players, no one throws the football like Allen.  The touchdown to Davis was simply perfect.

The Bills lineup was full of guys who made a difference:

Ed Oliver.  Over and over.

Diggs.  Oh, my.

Bernard.  Takeaway, again.  And more.

Murray.  The guy can move the ball.

Milano.  Oh, my, too. 

Knox.  Can you say run after catch?

Kincaid.  Josh’s new security blanket.

The Dolphins feature their speed.  The Bills feature  good football players, waves of them.  Defensive linemen, offensive lineman, defensive backs, running backs, receivers, everyone.  They’re smart, rugged, relentless.  Not the biggest, but big enough.  Not the fastest, but fast enough.  Not the best, maybe, but more than good enough.

I heard a coach say once that teams should break down the season into four quarters, and the objective is to go at least 3-1, every quarter season.  After the loss to the Jets, and given what the Dolphins had been doing, 3-1 required a special effort.  Mission accomplished.

On to London. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Great post... thank you Shaw.

IMO this team is better than the 2021 team which should have gone to the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Try to imagined Allen in his second season

I specified the last 3 seasons.  Which does not include his first or second season. It does include the season the third season where Allen put the team ahead with 13 seconds to go against the Chiefs, with a much a much lesser offensive cast.   

On 10/2/2023 at 7:21 AM, Shaw66 said:

Whatever the stats say, ten minutes into the second quarter the Bills took control of the game and never let go.  That’s when the Bills scored their third consecutive touchdown to open the game, and that’s when the Bills’ defense took over.  The Dolphins couldn’t match that third touchdown, and before long it was 28-14, and then 31-14 to end the half.  The Dolphins opened the third quarter with a touchdown, but the Bills simply weren’t letting them back into the game.

It was a big game.  A really big game.  A Dolphins win and would have given them a two-game lead over the Bills in the AFC East.  In the weeks before, the Dolphins had shown a seemingly unstoppable, quick-strike offense the likes of which the NFL hadn’t seen in years. 

Sean McDermott, his coaches, and his players were up to the challenge.  They didn’t exactly shut down the Dolphins, except on third and fourth down, where the Dolphins were 3 for 10 and 0 for 3. 

The Bills were dominant. 

Because the Dolphins were going to get some points, the Bills didn’t need just the defense.  The offense had to show up, and it did.  Oh, boy, did it.  The new Josh Allen, the guy who’s learned how to put up gaudy completion percentages by taking the easy throw, was deadly.  He didn’t throw long unless he had single coverage – once to Diggs for a TD and once for an interference call, one TD to Davis, one incomplete to Shakir, maybe one or two more.  The rest of his throws were easy-peasy, to all sorts of receivers, and the chains kept moving. 

I’ve been focused on completion percentage lately.  It’s the key to success for Josh Allen and the Bills, and it’s no surprise that after three stellar outings, Allen leads the league in that category.

Why is completion percentage so important?   Because the more chances the skill position players have to make plays, the more yards the team gains, the more first downs the team gets.  More first downs means even more touches for the skill players.  It feeds itself.

Why are touches for skill players so important?  Because when the skill players get the ball, they have opportunities to make plays, and sometimes they do.  It was 34-20, still a game, when Micah Hyde intercepted Tua.  The Bills were on the verge of settling for a field goal when, on third and five, Allen took the easy throw to Harty in the left flat.  Allen’s throw was short, and Harty had to go to his knees to make the catch, short of the sticks.  He got up and made a nifty little run for the first down.   Allen hit Diggs for the touchdown on the next play.   Allen checking down to Harty, the smart play, and Harty’s run, were worth four points. 

The benefit of having a player like Allen is not to call his number as a regular part of the offense.  What makes Allen great is that when all else has failed, he can make plays that no one else in the league, except Mahomes, can make.  His short TD pass to Diggs over the middle was sweet and special.  His touchdown run was vintage Allen.  Oh, and when it comes to getting the ball to the skill players, no one throws the football like Allen.  The touchdown to Davis was simply perfect.

The Bills lineup was full of guys who made a difference:

Ed Oliver.  Over and over.

Diggs.  Oh, my.

Bernard.  Takeaway, again.  And more.

Murray.  The guy can move the ball.

Milano.  Oh, my, too. 

Knox.  Can you say run after catch?

Kincaid.  Josh’s new security blanket.

The Dolphins feature their speed.  The Bills feature  good football players, waves of them.  Defensive linemen, offensive lineman, defensive backs, running backs, receivers, everyone.  They’re smart, rugged, relentless.  Not the biggest, but big enough.  Not the fastest, but fast enough.  Not the best, maybe, but more than good enough.

I heard a coach say once that teams should break down the season into four quarters, and the objective is to go at least 3-1, every quarter season.  After the loss to the Jets, and given what the Dolphins had been doing, 3-1 required a special effort.  Mission accomplished.

On to London. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Hey buddy, you only need one space after periods.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.