Fan dies in stands after fight at Patriots game

Bubba Gump

These kinds of stories are really repugnant.

Why is sports fandom so damned toxic?  It's completely out of hand online, and that spills over into real life.  It's like opposing fans have become "enemies" or something.  We forget everyone is just a regular person, working jobs & getting through life & wanting to just support their team and have fun doing so.  

There is almost a dehumanization of opposing fans.  It's turning me off to the game to an extent.  I want positive experiences in my life - not toxic BS and hate.

Condolences to the victim's family.  How do they even make sense of something like this?  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I don't live in Buffalo anymore, but still try to get to a game or 2 every season.  I got to one road game in LA and one home game (Green Bay).  The tailgate options in LA were terrible, so we had a few beers literally sitting on a curb outside the gate and it was terribly boring.  There was only 1 parking lot that permitted tailgating and it was full.  There aren't a whole lot of options in Inglewood, CA....In contrast, thanks to TBD, I got a spot in Hammer's Lot for the Green Bay game and was with two friends from Wisconsin who wore Packers jerseys.  We all had plenty to drink, but we're 40/50+ and know how to handle ourselves.  Everyone had a great time and nobody bothered my friends.  In fact, they had good-natured fun alongside Bills fans (including doing the shot out of the bowling ball).  They had a great experience and despite the Packers losing, they have told everyone they know how much they loved Buffalo.  There's a larger group back in Wisconsin and now everyone wants to come to Buffalo the next time the Packers come.

As a side note, I will be at the London game, but will be with my wife and 2 kids.  My older one has been to a NFL game, but it's her first Bills game.  My younger one has never been to an NFL game (and thus no Bills games).  I'm excited, but I have not been to a game in London and have no idea what to expect as far as crowd rowdiness.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I have witnessed Bills fans being complete Dbags to fans of other teams.  Including throwing snowballs as fast as they can at Patriots fans heads.

I key hope those were banned from games permanently.  As well I hope they enforce those bans and keep proper records.

1 hour ago, Success said:

Why is sports fandom so damned toxic?

The Blues and the Greens from ancient Rome and medieval Byzantium could get so rowdy during events as to cause mass riots that might devastate whole cities or even dethrone emperors.  

Afaik, "fan" comes from the word fanatic, and that's no accident if so.  

2 hours ago, Success said:

Why is sports fandom so damned toxic?  It's completely out of hand online, and that spills over into real life.  It's like opposing fans have become "enemies" or something.  We forget everyone is just a regular person, working jobs & getting through life & wanting to just support their team and have fun doing so.  

There is almost a dehumanization of opposing fans.  It's turning me off to the game to an extent.  I want positive experiences in my life - not toxic BS and hate.

Condolences to the victim's family.  How do they even make sense of something like this?  

You are, unfortunately, living in the wrong life. Seems like all we encounter these days. 

I am a Bills fan who live near Boston and have been to a number of stadiums as a visiting fan and my experience with the fans in this area is the worst I have experienced.  Jets fans were pretty bad too. (I used to live in the NYC area and attend those games regularly.) 

The general rule I've found to be true is the better a team is doing the more obnoxious the fans become.  I try everything to avoid fighting by engaging in friendly conversation with the fans around me but as been written here by others alcohol make everyone louder and stupider. 

To be fair Bills fans can be awful too.  I remember almost getting into a fight with Bills fans in Buffalo when trying to help out a Dad and his young son who had the nerve to wear Broncos jerseys into Ralph Wilson Stadium.  I genuinely wish security would screen these intoxicated fans better.  

Edited by HT02
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

So true! And it seems it’s getting worse. Like I have said before back in the early 90’s the Bills fans were probably the nicest fans of any fan base I ran into at old Sullivan stadium. But even Jet fans vm back then never got so angry as to fight.. mind you we stunk like badly stunk back then so not many Pats fans in the stands then lol.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

It's not just sports fans, my friend. :(

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mr Info said:

Yep, some places I no longer visit either due to fans (MetLife-Jets; Philly) or crappy stadiums (FedEx). 

Philly is the worst followed by Giants

I gave those cities up long ago and now I hear they are worse.

Didn't think it was possible 🤔 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.