Travis Kelce Hyperextends Knee

HappyDays

22 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I saw a tweet that said it went from -6.5 to -5.5 with the Kelce news. So basically Vegas thinks he is worth a point.

I still think the Chiefs will move the ball just fine. Against some teams Kelce being out could be the difference between winning and losing, but the Lions project to have an awful defense.

I'm more intrigued by how long the injury lingers. Kelce will be 34 in one month. It's only a matter of time before his body starts breaking down. If this becomes a nagging injury that lingers throughout the season that could make a real difference in their win/loss column.

Thanks, that is a big move for non QB .   I think he window is closing quickly and that is probably why he opened his mouth about chris jones situation.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Jags should win a lot of games. So should the Lions. For both the question is are they ready when they play the top half dozen teams in football to go punch for punch. On both I am less convinced. And it is much harder when you have that expectation on you. 

Maybe, but on a related note, that also sounds like a great description of us.  They also played better than we did in the playoffs last season, on both sides generally speaking, and particularly given the level of competition that they faced.  

• Disagree 2

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Maybe, but on a related note, that also sounds like a great description of us.  They also played better than we did in the playoffs last season, on both sides generally speaking, and particularly given the level of competition that they faced.  

Does it? The Bills have beat top teams. They haven't beat them all on a run to the Superbowl.... but they have beaten good teams. Jags yet to prove it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

What about KCs defense without Chris jones makes you think they can stop the Detroit offense to get up a few Scores early?  

I think KC will score 2/3 out of the gate and make it tough for DET to keep up. I don't think the Lions are a team that can win a shootout.

You figure the avg possessions in a game is 10-12 a side, 5-6 a half or so. I'd take KC to put up 20-24 pts by half. I'd be impressed if DET can put up 20 by half to keep up.

That's just my take though, could be wrong.

Does it? The Bills have beat top teams. They haven't beat them all on a run to the Superbowl.... but they have beaten good teams. Jags yet to prove it.

Not in the playoffs we haven't.  Sorry  

At least not with any regularity that is.  Miami with Skyler Thompson playing I don't consider to have been a top team.  New England the prior year wasn't either.  

Indy, meh, not really.  Baltimore, good, but low-end for playoffs.  7th and 5th seeds respectively.  

We haven't had a "run to the Super Bowl" yet either.  McD personally saw to that, didn't he.  ...  oh wait, apparently that was all Frazier's fault.  My bad.  LOL 

Edited by PBF81

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

We were 4-2 in the regular season against playoff teams last year (with the Bengals game a wash). It's not as if we faced scrubs all year

And out of curiosity, which "top teams" did we beat last season?  

I see Baltimore and KC, that's it.   I'm also not sure I'd consider Baltimore a "top team."  They were alright, seeded 6th between the Chargers and Miami.  

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I see Baltimore and KC, that's it.   I'm also not sure I'd consider Baltimore a "top team."  They were alright, seeded 6th between the Chargers and Miami.  

Well, KC did win the Super Bowl and they have arguably GOAT talents at QB and TE, and we were the only team to beat them in their pad.  We beat Baltimore in their pad too while Lamar was still healthy.  We had two wins over the Dolphins (a playoff team) as well.  

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

We were 4-2 in the regular season against playoff teams last year (with the Bengals game a wash). It's not as if we faced scrubs all year

That's not what Gunner said, he said "top teams."  

Of the teams you cite, these are them: 

Miami, and we beat them once in the playoffs with Thompson starting.  Either way I would hardly call them a "top team."  

I already replied about Baltimore and KC.  KC yes, Baltimore questionable.  

But using wins over Miami (twice) and Baltimore as three of four examples, while claiming that Detroit didn't beat teams of comparable caliber, when they beat Minnesota, Jacksonville, and the Giants, seems to be a bit disingenuous if you ask me.  

But who cares, we haven't proven that we can beat any team the caliber of which has been in the Conference Championships.  That's a fact.  

Believe what you will otherwise.  

13 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Well, KC did win the Super Bowl and they have arguably GOAT talents at QB and TE, and we were the only team to beat them in their pad.  We beat Baltimore in their pad too while Lamar was still healthy.  We had two wins over the Dolphins (a playoff team) as well.  

So you're of the opinion then that the Fins with Skylar Thompson at QB is a top team then.  Well, OK.  I guess it all depends upon the definition of what a "top team" is.  I don't consider a 9-8 team a top team, especially since they barely made the playoffs.  Same for a 10-7 team that fielded the league's 19th ranked offense.  I don't think that you'll find anyone at all that knows football that claims that any team with Skylar Thompson as their QB is or ever will be a "top team," try as you may.  In fact I think it's ludicrous.  Just because we couldn't prevent them from putting up points doesn't mean that they were good much less a "top team" with him at QB.  

Either way, let's not lose sight of the main point here, Gunner claims that we beat top teams last season, more so than the Lions implicitly.  

They beat Minnesota, whom we lost to just oh, by the way, and the Jags who were better than Miami in both offense and defense, and the Giants who had a notably better defense but only a marginally worse offense.  

I have no idea what the basis for Gunner's argument is, but it's not win-loss record or offensive or defensive rankings.  

Edited by PBF81

1 hour ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I think KC will score 2/3 out of the gate and make it tough for DET to keep up. I don't think the Lions are a team that can win a shootout.

You figure the avg possessions in a game is 10-12 a side, 5-6 a half or so. I'd take KC to put up 20-24 pts by half. I'd be impressed if DET can put up 20 by half to keep up.

That's just my take though, could be wrong.

Detroit was 5th in scoring last year (26.6 ppg)...not saying they are going to win a shootout but, they can score at times.  KC's defense without Jones is a different animal and can be scored on.  And without Kelce (if he doesn't play) that is a significant loss for them.  Again, who the hell knows what happens, but it could be a good game (or a KC blow out lol)

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

BTW, in the three regular season games that Thompson played for the Fins, they averaged 14.7 PPG.  44 total in three games.  

We allowed them to score 31, at home, in the playoffs.  

11 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

So you're of the opinion then that the Fins with Skylar Thompson at QB is a top team then.  Well, OK.  I guess it all depends upon the definition of what a "top team" is.  I don't consider a 9-8 team a top team, especially since they barely made the playoffs.  Same for a 10-7 team that fielded the league's 19th ranked offense.  I don't think that you'll find anyone at all that knows football that claims that any team with Skylar Thompson as their QB is or ever will be a "top team," try as you may.  In fact I think it's ludicrous.  Just because we couldn't prevent them from putting up points doesn't mean that they were good much less a "top team" with him at QB.  

Either way, let's not lose sight of the main point here, Gunner claims that we beat top teams last season, more so than the Lions implicitly.  

They beat Minnesota, whom we lost to just oh, by the way, and the Jags who were better than Miami in both offense and defense, and the Giants who had a notably better defense but only a marginally worse offense.  

I have no idea what the basis for Gunner's argument is, but it's not win-loss record or offensive or defensive rankings.  

By the very definition yes maiming and Baltimore were top teams last year.  The fact they had an injury to qb isn't at 0lay.  Miami the team made the playoffs so they were a top team.  Buffalo was a top team yet they were battered and not at their best once pla,9ffs arrived.  With all the talent playing well below their usual capability I don't know if ball or mini considered Bills a top team at the end of season.

9 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

By the very definition yes maiming and Baltimore were top teams last year.  The fact they had an injury to qb isn't at 0lay.  Miami the team made the playoffs so they were a top team.  Buffalo was a top team yet they were battered and not at their best once pla,9ffs arrived.  With all the talent playing well below their usual capability I don't know if ball or mini considered Bills a top team at the end of season.

OK, great.  So by the same logic then, aren't the Jags, who went 7-2/6-1 down the stretch while winning their last 5 games in the regular season, and that won their division and had over a point-per-game better point differential than Baltimore a top team too then?  

Or the Giants, who were a half-game better than the Fins in record and also made the playoffs, which was your only criteria for them, also a good team then?  

Seems that logically the answer to both is unequivocally yes.  

And the Vikings at 13-4 and division winners, better than either Baltimore or Miami, aren't they also a "top team" then?  

Again, in applying the same logic the answer is yes.  

Or not? 

Otherwise, I'm not sure what your point is.  

38 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with Gunner's original argument.  Nada.  

Edited by PBF81

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

OK, great.  So by the same logic then, aren't the Jags, who went 7-2/6-1 down the stretch while winning their last 5 games in the regular season, and that won their division and had over a point-per-game better point differential than Baltimore a top team too then?  

Or the Giants, who were a half-game better than the Fins in record and also made the playoffs, which was your only criteria for them, also a good team then?  

Seems that logically the answer to both is unequivocally yes.  

And the Vikings at 13-4 and division winners, better than either Baltimore or Miami, aren't they also a "top team" then?  

Again, in applying the same logic the answer is yes.  

Or not? 

Otherwise, I'm not sure what your point is.  

Yes any team in the playoffs was a zop team  that year.  Might not break the most talented team but they got the important won lost record to put them among the top teams. 

30 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

BTW, in the three regular season games that Thompson played for the Fins, they averaged 14.7 PPG.  44 total in three games.  

We allowed them to score 31, at home, in the playoffs.  

I agree that Thompson sucks. We held him to 18-45, 220 yards and 2 picks.  We outgained the Dolphins by 200 yards.  The only reason the Dolphins were in that game were unforced errors and special teams gaffes on the part of the Bills.

We also beat a full strength Dolphins team with Tua in the regular season. 

And I agree that the Dolphins being a "top team" is arguable.  But we did beat both Baltimore and KC on the road when they were at full strength.  I was merely answering your question by stating facts.

15 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Yes any team in the playoffs was a zop team  that year.  Might not break the most talented team but they got the important won lost record to put them among the top teams. 

Then great, you agree with me then, and therefore disagree with Gunner.  

I'm not sure why people jump into discussions midway and don't engage with the full context.  

Just now, PBF81 said:

OK, so you disagree with Gunner then too.  

I wasn't sure what your point was.  

I just point out that only the top teams get to go to the playoffs though the division leaders  will sometimes get a lesser quality team over a better team in a tougher division.  I also do like the underdogs prevailing in an us versus them and seeing the less talented individually team gang up and defeat the top dog that may not even put in the proper prep as they overlook what a team effort can accomplish.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

I agree that Thompson sucks. We held him to 18-45, 220 yards and 2 picks.  We outgained the Dolphins by 200 yards.  The only reason the Dolphins were in that game were unforced errors and special teams gaffes on the part of the Bills.

We also beat a full strength Dolphins team with Tua in the regular season. 

And I agree that the Dolphins being a "top team" is arguable.  But we did beat both Baltimore and KC on the road when they were at full strength.  I was merely answering your question by stating facts.

Do you understand how this discussion between Gunner and I got started?  

It's weird, you and AutieEm both agree with the argument I laid out in principle, but you're arguing with me.  I don't get it.  

I'm not arguing that the Ravens or Fins are or are not "top teams," as I've implied, one has to define what a "top team" actually is before anyone can claim that a team is one.  Sure, KC, Cincy, Philly, Dallas, San Fran, easily all "top teams" last season, but after that it has to be defined.  

All I'm saying is avering that we beat top teams which only include KC, Miami (twice, again, once with a 3rd-string QB), and the offensively bereft Ravens, Detroit beat Minnesota, Jax, and the Giants, and the Jags beat the same Ravens we beat, the Chargers twice, and the Cowboys, but neither of the last two beat top teams whereas we did? 

That make sense to you?  

It makes zero sense to me, particularly since in terms of W/L record, offensive/defensive rankings, Point-Differential, and QBs played, we certainly aren't on the long end of that stick.  

It's not complicated.  I have no idea why anyone's arguing that.  

5 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I just point out that only the top teams get to go to the playoffs though the division leaders  will sometimes get a lesser quality team over a better team in a tougher division.  I also do like the underdogs prevailing in an us versus them and seeing the less talented individually team gang up and defeat the top dog that may not even put in the proper prep as they overlook what a team effort can accomplish.

Well that's fine, but then take it up with Gunner.  He's the one that started arguing to the contrary with me.  

I'm not in disagreement with you.  All I'm saying is that we need to apply the same standards across the board in terms of coming to conclusions.  We cannot arbitrarily favor us because we're Bills fans, but then turn around and dismiss the same exact criteria in evaluating other teams for the same purpose.  

IOW, if we're going to assess teams as to how good they are based upon whether or not they beat "top teams," then the definition of "top teams" has to remain the same in evaluating any team.  

Again, it's not complicated though some try to make it that way.  LOL  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Not in the playoffs we haven't.  Sorry  

At least not with any regularity that is.  Miami with Skyler Thompson playing I don't consider to have been a top team.  New England the prior year wasn't either.  

Indy, meh, not really.  Baltimore, good, but low-end for playoffs.  7th and 5th seeds respectively.  

We haven't had a "run to the Super Bowl" yet either.  McD personally saw to that, didn't he.  ...  oh wait, apparently that was all Frazier's fault.  My bad.  LOL 

I agree we haven't in the playoffs. But I think that is luck more than anything else. We can beat good teams. I am not sure the Jags can. But let's see.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh. The lions agree, the Jags disagree…. I mean they had a chance just last year in KC… and Doug Pederson has been there before. 

But they haven't done it.

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Yea there you go. 

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree we haven't in the playoffs.

Thank you!  

But I think that is luck more than anything else.

Really?   

Because it couldn't possibly be coaching, right?   

We should find that out this season to be sure.  

We can beat good teams. I am not sure the Jags can. But let's see.

Right, because the Jags beating the same Ravens that we beat, beating the Chargers twice with Herbert at QB instead of dizzy eyed Tua and Skylar Thompson, and the Cowboys who had an all but identical point differential to KC but played in a notably more difficult division, isn't beating as good of teams as we beat.  

OK ... 

But they haven't done it.

Seems as if they have, during the regular season, and once during the playoffs.  If you want to discount the Chargers as a good team, then get rid of the Fins too, because they weren't as good as the Chargers even.  

The point that you took issue with me over was when I said that we haven't done it in the playoffs.  Which above you agree with me on.  

Otherwise, we didn't do it with regularity last season either I've discovered while researching for this.  We beat the Fins twice, the Ravens, and Chiefs.  We also lost to the Fins once, to the Ravens, and got dusted by the Bengals.  

Either way, earlier you disagreed when I said that they played better than us in the playoffs.  They beat the Chargers with Herbert at QB.  We barely beat the Fins with Skylar Thompson.  They gave the Chiefs a good game, in KC, a much better game than we gave the Bengals at home.  

Yet you're insisting the opposite.  Either way, you contradicted yourself from your earlier post.  Here it is in fact, along with my statement, it seems as if you simply like to disagree with me often.  

Me:  Maybe, but on a related note, that also sounds like a great description of us.  They also played better than we did in the playoffs last season, on both sides generally speaking, and particularly given the level of competition that they faced.  

You:  Does it? The Bills have beat top teams. They haven't beat them all on a run to the Superbowl.... but they have beaten good teams. Jags yet to prove it.

Either way, you contradicted yourself above in the first line.  

Yea there you go. 

LOL ... 

Edited by PBF81

15 hours ago, nucci said:

How many games has he missed due to injury?

Wrist Fracture 8/14/17 during practice.

missed 4 weeks  

Rib fracture 1/16/20 national championship game 

Torn Left ACL, MCL, PCL, meniscus injury 11/22/20

missed final 6 weeks 

Right pinky dislocation 12/5/21

Appendicitis missed 2022 training camp 

Knee Sprain 1/2/22 

MCL Sprain 2/13/22

Right calf strain 7/27/23 suffered day 1 of camp - missed entire camp 

5 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Wrist Fracture 8/14/17 during practice.

missed 4 weeks  

Rib fracture 1/16/20 national championship game 

Torn Left ACL, MCL, PCL, meniscus injury 11/22/20

missed final 6 weeks 

Right pinky dislocation 12/5/21

Appendicitis missed 2022 training camp 

Knee Sprain 1/2/22 

MCL Sprain 2/13/22

Right calf strain 7/27/23 suffered day 1 of camp - missed entire camp 

How many games with the Bengals?

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Thanks Kelce.  I won't mind if you take a few more weeks off. You earned it.

Well that would probably be the smart move.  Gabe last year played on a ankle not fully healed and he never got 100% and that hurt us at playoff time.   As he already has a couple rings, gets paid well as one of best tes in game, he should want to sit till he is 100%, guess depends on how KC treats injuries.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.