Sean McDermott is 3-0 in Week 1 vs the Jets

BigDingus

This may be common knowledge, but I didn't realize we've played the Jets 3 times to start the year under Sean McDermott.

2017: 21 - 12 (Home)

2019: 17 - 16 (Away)

2020: 27 - 17 (Home)

And now again in 2023. McDermott is 4-2 in week 1 overall, getting blown out by the Ravens in 2018 (not his fault, team was terrible), getting upset by the Steelers at home in 2021, and last year's league opener blowout win vs the Rams.

I know week 1 has a lot of divisional matchups (8 games are in division/8 games outside of it), but is it normal for other teams to kick off the season against the same opponent so often?

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

This may be common knowledge, but I didn't realize we've played the Jets 3 times to start the year under Sean McDermott.

And now again in 2023. McDermott is 4-2 in week 1 overall, getting blown out by the Ravens in 2018 (not his fault, team was terrible), getting upset by the Steelers at home in 2021, and last year's league opener blowout win vs the Rams.

I know week 1 has a lot of divisional matchups (8 games are in division/8 games outside of it), but is it normal for other teams to kick off the season against the same opponent so often?

A week from now, he’ll be 4-0 against them in openers.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

In 2919 Josh ahead 4 turnovers and still won the game. Knew then, we had a damn good QB

Are you sure you are not Captain Foresight?  I am glad that Josh's Grand-Grand-Grand-Grand-son is playing for Bills.

image.png.be132761aef9bdf12b203b04b5b40c0a.png

Sort of silly than 9 is next to 0 on keyboard but that is for a historical reason.

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

It can't be a coincidence that they've started 4 out of 7 seasons against the Jets under McD.  What gives?

NFL does not like Bills.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean 2018 was kinda his fault.... we might have lost anyway but he started Nathan freaking Peterman. 

It was definitely his fault.  He canned the OC who insisted Peter Picker played QB against Chargers and still kept the QB.

It means nothing but just to add...

Aaron Rodgers has never lost a home opener

Aaron Rodgers lost the last two openers in 22 and 21

Aaron Rodgers is 4-1 all time at Met Life Stadium.  His only loss was to the Giants in 2012.

Aaron Rodgers is 2-2 All Time vs Buffalo

Yes It all means nothing

5 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

It means nothing but just to add...

Aaron Rodgers has never lost a home opener

Aaron Rodgers lost the last two openers in 22 and 21

Aaron Rodgers is 4-1 all time at Met Life Stadium.  His only loss was to the Giants in 2012.

Aaron Rodgers is 2-2 All Time vs Buffalo

Yes It all means nothing

It all means something. Both come prepared on opening day. 

5 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Different Jets team though big time.  For starters, they split with us last season outperforming us offensively in both games.  

Otherwise, in 2017 the Jets were 5-11 and led by Josh McCown and coached by Bowles.  In 2019 and 2020 they were 7-9 and 2-14 and led by Darnold and coached by Gase.  

Should be a great game.  Hopefully we come out on top.  It would be foolish to not be concerned however.  

14 hours ago, BigDingus said:

In the Bills 63-year history they have opened against the Jets more than anyone else. I think it's around 20 times now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.