Bills/Jets game may be blacked out if you are a Spectrum subscriber.

Beast

My daughter works in corporate strategy for Comcast/NBC - there is a very contentious relationship between Disney and cable providers.  She thinks Disney may blink first bc they are in such a bad position financially they won't be able to afford lost revenue for long.

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The only places where Spectrum won't carry the game are the following cities: 

In addition, ABC stations owned by Disney in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh-Durham and Fresno were pulled off the air.

If you live in one of those city's TV market buy an antenna & reprogram your TV.  Earlier this year Verizon pulled the local ABC channel.  On one of my TVs I attached an antenna, changed the input to TV & programmed the TV to receive over the air stations.  Then I could watch the local ABC station with the input on TV & if I wanted to watch cable all I had to do was change the input & put it on the channel that's the box is tuned to.  It's not that difficult to have the same TV ready for both cable & over the air viewing,  

Disney pulled ESPN, ABC, and other networks from Spectrum programming everywhere. As such, any Spectrum subscriber anywhere, will not have ESPN available to them via Spectrum. Spectrum subscribers aren’t confined just to the major markets you mentioned above. 

• Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Disney pulled ESPN, ABC, and other networks from Spectrum programming everywhere. As such, any Spectrum subscriber anywhere, will not have ESPN available to them via Spectrum. Spectrum subscribers aren’t confined just to the major markets you mentioned above. 

No, Spectrum didn't.  They didn't pull ABC except in cities where the ABC stations are Disney owned.  The cities listed above.  The game that is the topic of this thread will be on all ABC stations except in those cities.   

Edited by Albany,n.y.

This may have already been posted, but I live in the Syracuse area and still get my ABC affiliate. The local affiliate is not owned by Disney but by another media corporation. This is probably the case in several parts of the country. My only hope is, if they don’t resolve the dispute, they will simulcast the game on the my local ABC channel 

2 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

This may have already been posted, but I live in the Syracuse area and still get my ABC affiliate. The local affiliate is not owned by Disney but by another media corporation. This is probably the case in several parts of the country. My only hope is, if they don’t resolve the dispute, they will simulcast the game on the my local ABC channel 

It's already scheduled nationwide on ABC.  

I'm not so much worried about the Bills game since I'm a local.  However, I am a huge college football fan and this skirmish between Spectrum and Disney is ruining my bliss.  

I spent a good part of my morning and afternoon putting together a spreadsheet with all the Streaming services and their channel line ups to see what I would miss if I switch from Spectrum and move to another service.  No service gives me everything I got with Spectrum.  The closest is Direct TV streaming, but there are tradeoffs with every service.  In addition to the sports channels, I love the History channel and locally MSG where I watch One Bills Live and an occasional Sabres game.    MSG is only available on Fubo and Direct TV...but I could just listen to it on WGR radio.  History channel I found is available along with a number of other channels on a service called FRNDLY TV for only $6.99 per month...so I could work around it's absence on Fubo and YouTube.  

My point is that this exercise simply makes you think about your TV viewing habits and opens your thought pattern to other options should push come to shove.  In doing that, platforms like Spectrum run the risk of folks realizing they could easily bail and go elsewhere, especially since they have eliminated much of the bundles of the past.  Disney likely won't lose customers if they transfer to other platforms, but some may also think twice and just do without. 

The longer this dispute goes on, the more one sees how much they miss the Disney and ESPN channels.  College football is on more than just ESPN.  Last night, I watched on Fox, CBS Sports, and PAC12 and watched some pretty good football.  

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

No, Spectrum didn't.  They didn't pull ABC except in cities where the ABC stations are Disney owned.  The cities listed above.  The game that is the topic of this thread will be on all ABC stations except in those cities.   

The articles I’ve read today didn’t indicate that, just that ESPN will not be available to Spectrum subscribers so I appreciate the edification. It makes sense that non-Disney owned ABC affiliates would have the game available, but since Disney owns ABC, I’m unclear on why they would still allow ABC programming on Spectrum. 

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The only places where Spectrum won't carry the game are the following cities: 

In addition, ABC stations owned by Disney in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Houston, Raleigh-Durham and Fresno were pulled off the air.

If you live in one of those city's TV market buy an antenna & reprogram your TV.  Earlier this year Verizon pulled the local ABC channel.  On one of my TVs I attached an antenna, changed the input to TV & programmed the TV to receive over the air stations.  Then I could watch the local ABC station with the input on TV & if I wanted to watch cable all I had to do was change the input & put it on the channel that's the box is tuned to.  It's not that difficult to have the same TV ready for both cable & over the air viewing,  

Albany, you know I like you, but I live in Tampa, and we have all the same blackouts.

They either resolve this dispute, or I’m at my sports wing house bar that has the satellite feeds.

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The articles I’ve read today didn’t indicate that, just that ESPN will not be available to Spectrum subscribers so I appreciate the edification. It makes sense that non-Disney owned ABC affiliates would have the game available, but since Disney owns ABC, I’m unclear on why they would still allow ABC programming on Spectrum. 

With the exception of stations owned by Disney (ABC), the local stations are owned locally or by national companies not affiliated with Disney.  All they do is carry the network's programming.  For example. Nexstar owns ABC & Fox stations in Albany & Buffalo's CBS affiliate (WIVB).  When Nexstar got into a dispute with Verizon, they pulled their programming from the ABC station.  Meanwhile in Buffalo, Nexstar pulled CBS's programming, putting the ability to watch Bills games in jeopardy last season.  Unfortunately, Disney controls the cable stations & has pulled them all from Spectrum.  Since Disney doesn't own most of the local stations, they have no right to interfere with the owners' deals with local cable carriers.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Albany, you know I like you, but I live in Tampa, and we have all the same blackouts.

They either resolve this dispute, or I’m at my sports wing house bar that has the satellite feeds.

Your ABC affiliate must be owned by Disney and the authors of the article I read must have missed it when they listed the cities.  As I just stated above, I know all your cable stations have been shut down.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I'll join ya if that happens

It’s long overdue anyway so sounds good.  Pm me for the Fish game.  I’m at the Raiders with my sons, nephews and cousins for the home opener, and back in Buffalo for the cheats game so Miami is a perfect 1pm Sunday game.   We can figure out a place.

Talk around 10/1.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

It’s long overdue anyway so sounds good.  Pm me for the Fish game.  I’m at the Raiders with my sons, nephews and cousins for the home opener, and back in Buffalo for the cheats game so Miami is a perfect 1pm Sunday game.   We can figure out a place.

Talk around 10/1.

Sounds good!

29 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's kind of the opposite in this case. Charter is the one losing.

They both lose.  Neither side is blameless in this.  Having said that, Disney has stretched itself too thin, losing money on their myriad projects.  They want to make it up in TV revenue.  Charter loses credibility when they constantly raise rates of the consumers, so their arguments also wear thin.  I'm p'od at them both.

2 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

They both lose.  Neither side is blameless in this.  Having said that, Disney has stretched itself too thin, losing money on their myriad projects.  They want to make it up in TV revenue.  Charter loses credibility when they constantly raise rates of the consumers, so their arguments also wear thin.  I'm p'od at them both.

Disney just posted their 2nd best quarter in history. Just because memes circulate on social media that they're losing money because "tHeY wEnT wOkE" doesn't make it close to true.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Disney just posted their 2nd best quarter in history. Just because memes circulate on social media that they're losing money because "tHeY wEnT wOkE" doesn't make it close to true.

I stand corrected.  It appears that the theme parks and resorts drove revenue this quarter.  Charter is also making money.  So I have no sympathy or patience for either of them.

33 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

With the exception of stations owned by Disney (ABC), the local stations are owned locally or by national companies not affiliated with Disney.  All they do is carry the network's programming.  For example. Nexstar owns ABC & Fox stations in Albany & Buffalo's CBS affiliate (WIVB).  When Nexstar got into a dispute with Verizon, they pulled their programming from the ABC station.  Meanwhile in Buffalo, Nexstar pulled CBS's programming, putting the ability to watch Bills games in jeopardy last season.  Unfortunately, Disney controls the cable stations & has pulled them all from Spectrum.  Since Disney doesn't own most of the local stations, they have no right to interfere with the owners' deals with local cable carriers.  

I understand various entities other than Disney owning local ABC affiliates stations, but Disney owns ABC and the programming it produces itself. If the various entities that own the various affiliate stations are looked at as pipes, then the Disney/ABC produced programming is one of the products flowing thru them and from what I’ve gathered, Disney has turned off the ABC spigot to Spectrum. The individual affiliate stations that have individual broadcasting deals with Spectrum can show all the non Disney/ABC programming they want, but they can’t force Disney/ABC to also include their programming in their deal with Spectrum. 

13 hours ago, nucci said:

Go to either home or library...not sure which and select the Bills as your team. It will record any bills game being broadcast. You don't have to schedule anything. It's added to your library. I have the 3 preseason games recorded. Didn't schedule them. It's easier than Directv. No searching for what channel or network the game is on. Sometimes Bills would be on the ticket 700 channels or local CBS or Fox. Don't have to do this with youtube TV

Well this sounds great but I can't figure out how to select the Bills.  I've looked around in the library and home pages and others and I can't find any place where I can identify the Bills as the team I want to watch.  Is this something I should be able to do anytime, or only when they're getting ready to show a game?  Appreciate the help.

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

Well this sounds great but I can't figure out how to select the Bills.  I've looked around in the library and home pages and others and I can't find any place where I can identify the Bills as the team I want to watch.  Is this something I should be able to do anytime, or only when they're getting ready to show a game?  Appreciate the help.

I forgot exactly how I did it. Go to library at top of screen and scroll down to sports on left column. Should give you an option to choose teams to add to library. At this point I don't have to do anything the rest of the season. All Bills broadcasts will be recorded. Sorry couldn't be more helpful

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah, I upgraded my Hulu subscription to include LiveTV and got ESPN back so I can watch College Gameday and the other college games today. It's instant access once you click the upgrade button.

Will cancel once this dispute is resolved in a couple of days.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, K-9 said:

I understand various entities other than Disney owning local ABC affiliates stations, but Disney owns ABC and the programming it produces itself. If the various entities that own the various affiliate stations are looked at as pipes, then the Disney/ABC produced programming is one of the products flowing thru them and from what I’ve gathered, Disney has turned off the ABC spigot to Spectrum. The individual affiliate stations that have individual broadcasting deals with Spectrum can show all the non Disney/ABC programming they want, but they can’t force Disney/ABC to also include their programming in their deal with Spectrum. 

The ABC affiliate for Buffalo (WKBW channel 7) is still available to Spectrum subscribers (me).   I think this is because Spectrum picks up the ABC feed via WKBW rather than directly from Disney.   Unless your local ABC station is owned by Disney, you should be able to get the Bills game next Monday even if the dispute isn't settled.

• Like (+1) 1

Albany was trying to be helpful, but Tampa is one of the cities where we don’t have our local ABC programming right now, so it’s onto a bar which sucks.

Not because I won’t enjoy the game, it’s just I get up at 4:45am every weekday.  I love how spectrum is framing they are thinking of the customers which is crap.

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

The ABC affiliate for Buffalo (WKBW channel 7) is still available to Spectrum subscribers (me).   I think this is because Spectrum picks up the ABC feed via WKBW rather than directly from Disney.   Unless your local ABC station is owned by Disney, you should be able to get the Bills game next Monday even if the dispute isn't settled.

These media ownership and programming deals can be difficult to sort thru. A friend at the ABC in NY told me that there are a lot of upset viewers in that market and he confirmed what @Albany,n.y. pointed out previously about the programming deals that independent network affiliates have with various cable providers. Having worked for a major satellite provider to TV networks, my incorrect assumption was that if you own the programming, then you hold the exclusive rights to that programming and it can’t be broadcast without your approval. Glad to stand corrected on the issue.

Just contacted Spectrum via chat.  (I hate there auto attendant on phone.)  There is a one time $15 credit they are offering to placate customers while negotiations continue.  I saw a report on CNBC as they were discussing Disney's stock price dropping, that Charter was planning on the cost of credits to their customers.  So...if you haven't already switched and can be a bit patient, give Spectrum a shout and get the credit.

I'm glad I made the switch to youtubetv.  Right now I'm watching four college football games at once on a four way split screen and I didn't even have to choose each channel.  It just took me to it.  Plus, you get unlimited DVR which is nice.  Cable companies (Spectrum in my case) just made it too easy for people to finally cut the cord.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm glad I made the switch to youtubetv.  Right now I'm watching four college football games at once on a four way split screen and I didn't even have to choose each channel.  It just took me to it.  Plus, you get unlimited DVR which is nice.  Cable companies (Spectrum in my case) just made it too easy for people to finally cut the cord.

me too

14 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That's a nice feature.  Unfortunately, You Tube doesn't offer some key channels for me.  I cut the cord on cable a few years ago, but stuck with the Spectrum app and stream it.  There are plenty of good games on other than ESPN stations.  We'll see how this episode plays out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.