TRADE: Arizona ships Simmons to Giants for a 7th

BuffaloBillyG

3 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

In the case I outlined, it would be a dumb move yes. Just because Arz did it doesn't mean it's smart for the bills.

Ok you didn't initially respond to the other poster by saying that you specifically meant Basham...

"You would trade a 2nd rounder from 2 years ago at a premium position for a 7th? I'm glad you are not GM"

But your position is now that it's in some circumstances actually smart for a GM to make such a trade.

• Disagree 1

He's the definition of 90% amazing athlete, 10% football player.  

He was set up for failure in the NFL because Clemson played him in a weird LB/DB hybrid type of position that doesn't exist in the NFL defense.  He never learned a single position in college, and the Cardinals threw him out there and he failed.  

I think he would become a good player if he learned one position, and much like Trey Lance, spent a USFL/XFL season playing it.  

I think McDermott and Beane have enough film on this guy at AZ to determine we don’t need or have room for him. I was so-so on the Bernard pick, but I’d rather give him a shot vs Simmons. Benard was a rookie last year and IMO should be given time to develop over someone who showed nothing in four years, to the point he was traded for a bag of oranges. To Beane’s credit, we are to the point where someone else’s trash is not our treasure. We are so much better than that. We’re too deep and talented for stuff like this. We’re going to have to make cuts on players that will probably play elsewhere. Tough decisions coming up, but not brining in this bust was an easy decision to make. A waste of valuable time. 

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

My one big concern with this defense… it has potential to be old and washed. 

Yeah, there are some age concerns obvious at Safety and of course Von.  Tre is still needing to prove he is back as well.  But I will say these positives in regards to these concerns.  We are deep at Safety, DE, and CB.  More importantly all reports on Tre have been pretty great and that he looks ready and back to form, of course we still need to see it when the real games get played, but reportedly hes had a great camp and there is reason for optimism there.  

Von is the biggest question mark, but I feel a lot better about that thanks to the addition of Floyd bolstering the pass rush if Von isn't ready right away or doesn't get all the way back to form.  Floyd and Groot are guys I have confidence in bringing pressure still.

So while these concerns are valid, I think our depth and reports on Tre so far ease those concerns for the time being, at least until we see this unit full bore on the field.  I, like most, am greatly more concerned about the MIKE and if anyone can step up there.  If it is an issue during the season, I hope they don't wait too long on trying Milano out at MLB and Dorian at OLB as so far Dorian has played like he is the 2nd best LB on the roster right now, so they may to get him on the field and move Milano over if MLB is a trainwreck as move along in the season.

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Again, am I correct that he’s on a one year deal and can’t be extended?

He's in his last year of his rookie contract.  ARZ did not take his 5th year option.  So yes that he is on a one-year deal at the trade time,

but he is eligible to sign an extension at any time.  His cap hit is $3.4M for 2023 as I see it.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-cardinals/isaiah-simmons-47601/

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, there are some age concerns obvious at Safety and of course Von.  Tre is still needing to prove he is back as well.  But I will say these positives in regards to these concerns.  We are deep at Safety, DE, and CB.  More importantly all reports on Tre have been pretty great and that he looks ready and back to form, of course we still need to see it when the real games get played, but reportedly hes had a great camp and there is reason for optimism there.  

Von is the biggest question mark, but I feel a lot better about that thanks to the addition of Floyd bolstering the pass rush if Von isn't ready right away or doesn't get all the way back to form.  Floyd and Groot are guys I have confidence in bringing pressure still.

So while these concerns are valid, I think our depth and reports on Tre so far ease those concerns for the time being, at least until we see this unit full bore on the field.  I, like most, am greatly more concerned about the MIKE and if anyone can step up there.  If it is an issue during the season, I hope they don't wait too long on trying Milano out at MLB and Dorian at OLB as so far Dorian has played like he is the 2nd best LB on the roster right now, so they may to get him on the field and move Milano over if MLB is a trainwreck as move along in the season.

What does that mean, Dorian is the second best LB?  That's an indictment on/with something/someone/somehow/somewhere/sometime... And I'm not sure what or how. 

** this is not a bitching post that something hasn't been done. I just don't know if Dorian has done well or others haven't rose to the top yet. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ok you didn't initially respond to the other poster by saying that you specifically meant Basham...

"You would trade a 2nd rounder from 2 years ago at a premium position for a 7th? I'm glad you are not GM"

But your position is now that it's in some circumstances actually smart for a GM to make such a trade.

read it again my man, I was talking about basham. That's pretty clear. Have a good day

• Haha (+1) 1

Simmons was a 'tweener when he came out and Joseph did him no favors. Reddick is a different player obviously, but I can certainly see Simmons finding success with NYG. I would've absolutely taken that upside for a 6th on this Bills roster no matter where he ended up playing.  

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

It's like when a performance sports car loses much resale value after you drive it off from the dealership. 🤔😁

To go from a first to a seventh you need to do something special driving it off the lot.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Simmons might not have worked out in Arizona, he seems like a position-less man, but it would’ve been nice to have that sort of speed available for the Bills defense. I would’ve made the move for a 7th, or even a 6th.

Well then, he would fit right in here in Buffalo, wouldn't he?

Beane waiting to shop at the bargain bin on cut day.

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Wow. Isaiah has a ton of talent, and just hasn't put it together yet.  Nice get for the Giants.

As far as Arizona goes, they are definitely in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.  At least he won't be playing in the AFC.

Dont rule out the Texans or the Colts, both with rookie QBs and Richardson in no way is already to start in the NFL imo.  And the last Texans pre season game I saw was dreadfully bad.

57 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Another trade:

I know a lot of Bills fans wanted us to trade for Jones, but he has been exclusively a LT in Arizona. When they tried him at RT a couple years ago it didn't go well. So he was not going to be our swing tackle solution.

Well, he could have been an upgrade to keep Dion honest at least....

We need to do something at OT.  The position is a DUMPSTER FIRE

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Another trade:

I know a lot of Bills fans wanted us to trade for Jones, but he has been exclusively a LT in Arizona. When they tried him at RT a couple years ago it didn't go well. So he was not going to be our swing tackle solution.

But he won’t play LT in Houston. The Texans have one of the best LT in football in Leremy Tunsil who they just payed. So Jones would either be a RT or swing in Houston. 

11 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Well, he could have been an upgrade to keep Dion honest at least....

We need to do something at OT.  The position is a DUMPSTER FIRE

I agree - just get bodies at this point. We're 1-2 injuries away from searching the streets like we did last year at WR.....pretty sad mismanagement.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Another trade:

5th round pick even just for a Dawkins backup wouldn't have been a bad idea. We have zero depth right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.