Beane to blame

balln

Is anyone else thinking this team was grossly mismanaged by beane ?

The double down on Spencer brown with no depth or drafting (shell signing and retiring is a joke)

just saying yea Dion dawkins is the starter - giving no competition to that fat slug. The wing eating contest at practice thing during playoffs or end of season was a wtf moment. Go back and watch cincy playoff game. Dawkins was worse than spencer

everyone and their mother would have let an aging / battle injured safety just go in FA. But instead we sign him back. Poyer starts getting beat w speed more and more. Every kc game , and Mia game it’s glaring 

everyone and their mother would not have extended Ed Oliver . My god he’s a liability on most plays. 

The elam first round pick! Enough said. can’t get on the field 

the investments both high draft picks and FA signings to the DL with poor return 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 4
  • Eyeroll 12
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4
  • Dislike 2

Point by point:

1.  I am a believer that you win up front.   The Bills have not been in a position to draft a top end tackle because of the success they've had - most of those guys go in the top of the first round.  Brown had a tough outing yesterday from what I'm reading (haven't watched the game yet).  But you can't blame a GM for not being Nostradamus when you go out and get a veteran who's started in the league as competition, and he decides to retire.  So it was not a joke.  I think we're either going to see another T brought in this week, or we may see the Dutch kid get the start.  

2.  I am wondering if Dawkins may be suffering from long Covid effects myself.  If so, the medical staff needed to alert Beane.  But I think Dawkins will be OK.  we should prioritize drafting a T next year though.

3.  If Poyer leaves in free agency who do you have to replace him?  No one knew if Hamlin could or would play again.  And we hadn't even sniffed at Rapp yet.  Poyer will also be fine.  He may have lost a step, but veterans make up for that with their understanding of where plays are going.  So I am not panicking over one run in a pre-season game.  

4.  Without Oliver you would have had 1 DT under contract next year.  One.  Oliver will also be fine, everyone was expecting the second coming of Donald.

5.  Elam needs to learn zone concepts more and quit grabbing as much.  It is the beginning of his second season in the league and he's still got things to learn.   We have 4 corners that can play in the NFL which is more than many teams can say.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Elam was bad last night and that looks like it is going to be a disappointment.  

Dion is not in good shape and is in decline.

The Epinesa/Basham draft was not properly themed or executed (IMO).  

The Bernard 3rd Rounder also appears to be a failure.  

Kincaid and Torrence look good and C. McGovern performed well last night.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good OTs don’t grow on trees. You can’t just load up at OT. You kind of just have to get it right. If your guy can’t play then you find another one.

Dawkins is showing signs of decline. He’s still a pretty much the same guy but there’s now some moments he’s beat clean in pass protection. Weight as he’s getting older might be a problem.

I don’t know how they currently feel about Spencer Brown. Their actions say they love him. They moved an above average RT Daryl Williams inside to RG because they had to get Brown on the field as a rookie. He was terrible with small flashes of elite run blocking. Daryl Williams might still be our RT today if they never made that move. He’s retired now but who knows what happens.

There are some similarities between Spencer Brown and Dawson Knox. Raw talent but very inconsistent early in their careers. Knox became more consistent and turned it into a new contract. We’ll see about Brown.

Poyer stays taking bad angles. He does it all the time. Especially in the run game. Nothing new. He’ll be fine because it’s a passing league. I will say this though, Warren is a slow RB and dusted Poyer. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

2 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Elam was bad last night and that looks like it is going to be a disappointment.  

Dion is not in good shape and is in decline.

The Epinesa/Basham draft was not properly themed or executed (IMO).  

The Bernard 3rd Rounder also appears to be a failure.  

Kincaid and Torrence look good and C. McGovern performed well last night.  

This is where things get silly.  Bernard hasn't played a down yet in preseason due to his hammy, but he's a failure.  Ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

This is where things get silly.  Bernard hasn't played a down yet in preseason due to his hammy, but he's a failure.  Ridiculous.

Bernard is their only hope because Dodson/Klein/Spector aren’t the answer.  It isn’t encouraging that Bernard could not convincingly step ahead of Dodson in camp before his hamstring injury.

39 minutes ago, balln said:

The double down on Spencer brown with no depth or drafting (shell signing and retiring is a joke)

just saying yea Dion dawkins is the starter - giving no competition to that fat slug. The wing eating contest at practice thing during playoffs or end of season was a wtf moment. Go back and watch cincy playoff game. Dawkins was worse than spencer

everyone and their mother would have let an aging / battle injured safety just go in FA. But instead we sign him back. Poyer starts getting beat w speed more and more. Every kc game , and Mia game it’s glaring 

everyone and their mother would not have extended Ed Oliver . My god he’s a liability on most plays. 

the investments both high draft picks and FA signings to the DL with poor return 

The team has hugh needs. RT,LT, both safeties, a middle linebacker, underperforming DL, possibly CB’S. I would say Beane has been poor at drafting and mismanaging free agent acquisitions. Nobody could have predicted Von Millers injury, but he was purchased to cover up poor drafting results. Allen’s prime is being wasted and after getting a fat contract even Josh has stopped working as hard as possible to be the the best. This doesn’t even mention McClappies and Dorsey’s shortcomings. The extension of been and McDermott were seriously a mistake at this point.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Good OTs don’t grow on trees. You can’t just load up at OT. You kind of just have to get it right. If your guy can’t play then you find another one.

Dawkins is showing signs of decline. He’s still a pretty much the same guy but there’s now some moments he’s beat clean in pass protection. Weight as he’s getting older might be a problem.

I don’t know how they currently feel about Spencer Brown. Their actions say they love him. They moved an above average RT Daryl Williams inside to RG because they had to get Brown on the field as a rookie. He was terrible with small flashes of elite run blocking. Daryl Williams might still be our RT today if they never made that move. He’s retired now but who knows what happens.

There are some similarities between Spencer Brown and Dawson Knox. Raw talent but very inconsistent early in their careers. Knox became more consistent and turned it into a new contract. We’ll see about Brown.

Poyer stays taking bad angles. He does it all the time. Especially in the run game. Nothing new. He’ll be fine because it’s a passing league. I will say this though, Warren is a slow RB and dusted Poyer. 

The main problem on that run was that there was no edge set. The RB went right down the line and was allowed to turn up the field. I didn't see who the end was, but he's got to push that run to the inside. 

But Poyer still should have cleaned that up. 

48 minutes ago, balln said:

Anyone that's honest knows that Beane's drafts haven't been good and that he's not gotten expected value in them.  Having said that, this year's crop of day 1/2 picks all played well and came out promising. That's a positive.  

I'm hard on Beane, but nothing's going to change during the season.  It's not even a half of a preseason game so let's let the season play out.  The time for discussing Beane will be after the season.  I all but guarantee you that if things don't go well this season both he and McD will start seeing their honeymoon be over.  

I'm expecting our D to be around average this season.  Having said that, offense is what carries teams in this league.  Dawkins can still get in shape in a few weeks.  Can't speak to Brown's issues, he is looking more and more like a bust.  Kincaid looked the part, upon asking I was told that both Torrence and McGovern played well, which is cause for optimism.  

As I see it, our offense should be explosive assuming we can get even average OL play.   If coaching doesn't !@#$ it up we should be fine.  The skill position talent is more than there.  

The knee jerk reaction to what was a god awful performance by the O-line and the front seven should be expected. This is actually a positive. If the front office and the HC/DC are competent , they see the deficiencies against real game action. My expectation is for Dawkins and Brown to be put on full alert that their starting positions are in jeopardy. These guys have to be put through 3 weeks of intense preparation and conditioning  by an overrated O-line coach or replacements acquired. Our franchise QBs health is in jeopardy. The MLB position is less of an impending disaster. I see Dorian and Milano on the field in 2LB sets with Taron in the nickel similar to last year with Edmunds. Josh will find a way and the backs and TE will help with the rush until the O-line starts playing better. It’s the 1st time the starters played. Plenty of time before panic is called for.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, balln said:

It's no surprise that the team struggled to win last season and has failed to field a top offense and defense...Oh wait.

"Everyone and their mother" can see that the Bills are one of the best run teams in the league with sustained success over multiple seasons.

Do I hope that they can put the perfect run together and win it all?  Of course. But every year a few very good teams fail to win the superbowl. 

Edited by HereComesTheReignAgain
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

The main problem on that run was that there was no edge set. The RB went right down the line and was allowed to turn up the field. I didn't see who the end was, but he's got to push that run to the inside. 

But Poyer still should have cleaned that up. 

Steelers had a LT, LG, RG and a WR vs AJ Epenesa, Tyrel Dodson, and Matt Milano. Dane Jackson was 10 yards off the ball and retreated even more after the snap. Poona Ford and Tim Settle fall down. Poyer didn’t want to tackle.

The Bills probably never call that defense in the regular season.

55 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Point by point:

1.  I am a believer that you win up front.   The Bills have not been in a position to draft a top end tackle because of the success they've had - most of those guys go in the top of the first round.  Brown had a tough outing yesterday from what I'm reading (haven't watched the game yet).  But you can't blame a GM for not being Nostradamus when you go out and get a veteran who's started in the league as competition, and he decides to retire.  So it was not a joke.  I think we're either going to see another T brought in this week, or we may see the Dutch kid get the start.  

2.  I am wondering if Dawkins may be suffering from long Covid effects myself.  If so, the medical staff needed to alert Beane.  But I think Dawkins will be OK.  we should prioritize drafting a T next year though.

3.  If Poyer leaves in free agency who do you have to replace him?  No one knew if Hamlin could or would play again.  And we hadn't even sniffed at Rapp yet.  Poyer will also be fine.  He may have lost a step, but veterans make up for that with their understanding of where plays are going.  So I am not panicking over one run in a pre-season game.  

4.  Without Oliver you would have had 1 DT under contract next year.  One.  Oliver will also be fine, everyone was expecting the second coming of Donald.

5.  Elam needs to learn zone concepts more and quit grabbing as much.  It is the beginning of his second season in the league and he's still got things to learn.   We have 4 corners that can play in the NFL which is more than many teams can say.

All of your counterpoints are exactly why beane is at fault. He’s too reliant on his own picks / and too enslaved to vets that put it on the line for the org. He’s not shrewd enough. This is professional sports and you have a franchise qb. He needs to sign FAs / and draft replacements and hit. He looks like he’s just chasing his tail every offseason and draft. Trading up for elam !?!?!? That dude was playing into the 4th q last night. And I’m pretty confident that Dane AND benford are ahead of him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, balln said:

All of your counterpoints are exactly why beane is at fault. He’s too reliant on his own picks / and too enslaved to vets that put it on the line for the org. He’s not shrewd enough. This is professional sports and you have a franchise qb. He needs to sign FAs / and draft replacements and hit. He looks like he’s just chasing his tail every offseason and draft. Trading up for elam !?!?!? That dude was playing into the 4th q last night. And I’m pretty confident that Dane AND benford are ahead of him. 

Dude
Sleep it off man

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.