Beane to blame

balln

8 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

So many worthy threads...which one deserves this?

image.jpeg.1b2525f1f6870bd07f967fca4dcf71e4.jpeg
I suppose this one will do...

I’m afraid you’re going to have to spread this around some. I don’t see how we can declare a single winner/loser thread after one preseason game. 

Definitely some work to do, but I’m not going to overreact and panic, if that is allowed, of course. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

The knee jerk reaction to what was a god awful performance by the O-line and the front seven should be expected. This is actually a positive. If the front office and the HC/DC are competent , they see the deficiencies against real game action. My expectation is for Dawkins and Brown to be put on full alert that their starting positions are in jeopardy. These guys have to be put through 3 weeks of intense preparation and conditioning  by an overrated O-line coach or replacements acquired. Our franchise QBs health is in jeopardy. The MLB position is less of an impending disaster. I see Dorian and Milano on the field in 2LB sets with Taron in the nickel similar to last year with Edmunds. Josh will find a way and the backs and TE will help with the rush until the O-line starts playing better. It’s the 1st time the starters played. Plenty of time before panic is called for.

Yea we’ll we’re going to

get toasted over the middle in passing game. And steam rolled in the run. Oh well. Let’s see some shootouts. And McD to outscheme a team in the playoffs for once 

19 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

It's no surprise that the team struggled to win last season and has failed to field a top offense and defense...Oh wait.

"Everyone and their mother" can see that the Bills are one of the best run teams in the league with sustained success over multiple seasons.

Do I hope that they can put the perfect run together and win it all?  Of course. But every year a few very good teams fail to win the superbowl. 

Tell me again the trophy you earn for being the “best” run team? Oh that’s right. No one cares. Super Bowl or bust 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m afraid you’re going to have to spread this around some. I don’t see how we can declare a single winner/loser thread after one preseason game. 

Definitely some work to do, but I’m not going to overreact and panic, if that is allowed, of course. 

image.png.fd0125c31250e528e42c7f7259ff92a1.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

image.png.fd0125c31250e528e42c7f7259ff92a1.png

I think a bigger font with multiple exclamation marks would help share the message more effectively!   😋 

Where is Kevin Bacon in Animal House when you need him?  (He asked at the 9:19 mark am the morning after a preseason game.) 

• Haha (+1) 1

Since 2019 and excluding our most recent draft, we certainly have not been getting the expected or needed production from our early round draft picks.  Elam, Bernard, Basham, Espensa, and Brown are not busts, but none are playing at a quality starter level.  Groot and Knox seem to be the exceptions and I am not sure what to make of Oliver.  Cody Ford was a bust, and Singletary and Moss are playing for other teams as back-ups.

Edited by jahnyc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I believe the coaches are intentionally putting the players in stress situations in preseason to see how they handle it. For instance, did anyone notice that on every single received kick off, the ball was brought out of the EZ, rather than taking a touch back?  I also believe the middle linebacker was left without guidance by the coaches even though he has a headset in his helmet, to see how he would handle getting the defense lined up on his own. There are many things going on while the coaches are evaluating talent. With only 3 preseason games, the coaches have less time to figure out who stays and who goes.  It was very clear that the defense was not lined up properly on a few calls.

On offense, I don't know what was going on. The penalties were absolutely atrocious. I'm thinking all of these guys bouncing back and forth and playing with a different QB with a different voice and cadence is causing issues, but that's just speculation. They certainly have much to clean up. Barkley has been running 3rd string offense and it was clear he wasn't quite in sync with the 2nd string receivers. 1st string laid a huge egg with penalties and turnovers. Really concerned about the OL. A  tackle retiring and another one injured. They're going to have to pick someone up off of another team's garbage heap soon.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

This is where things get silly.  Bernard hasn't played a down yet in preseason due to his hammy, but he's a failure.  Ridiculous.

Bernard was a healthy scratch, even from Teams, for the playoff game last year against the Bengals.

He has shown absolutely nothing.  

I hope you are correct.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, balln said:

All of your counterpoints are exactly why beane is at fault. He’s too reliant on his own picks / and too enslaved to vets that put it on the line for the org. He’s not shrewd enough. This is professional sports and you have a franchise qb. He needs to sign FAs / and draft replacements and hit. He looks like he’s just chasing his tail every offseason and draft. Trading up for elam !?!?!? That dude was playing into the 4th q last night. And I’m pretty confident that Dane AND benford are ahead of him. 

Who acquired Dane and Benford?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Point by point:

1.  I am a believer that you win up front.   The Bills have not been in a position to draft a top end tackle because of the success they've had - most of those guys go in the top of the first round.  Brown had a tough outing yesterday from what I'm reading (haven't watched the game yet).  But you can't blame a GM for not being Nostradamus when you go out and get a veteran who's started in the league as competition, and he decides to retire.  So it was not a joke.  I think we're either going to see another T brought in this week, or we may see the Dutch kid get the start.  

2.  I am wondering if Dawkins may be suffering from long Covid effects myself.  If so, the medical staff needed to alert Beane.  But I think Dawkins will be OK.  we should prioritize drafting a T next year though.

3.  If Poyer leaves in free agency who do you have to replace him?  No one knew if Hamlin could or would play again.  And we hadn't even sniffed at Rapp yet.  Poyer will also be fine.  He may have lost a step, but veterans make up for that with their understanding of where plays are going.  So I am not panicking over one run in a pre-season game.  

4.  Without Oliver you would have had 1 DT under contract next year.  One.  Oliver will also be fine, everyone was expecting the second coming of Donald.

5.  Elam needs to learn zone concepts more and quit grabbing as much.  It is the beginning of his second season in the league and he's still got things to learn.   We have 4 corners that can play in the NFL which is more than many teams can say.

Disagree partially with point 1. While it’s true the bills haven’t been in position at the top of the draft, you could make the same argument for the chiefs and bengals but their general managers realize the importance of offensive line and they made moves. The chiefs have rebuilt their line TWICE in the last few years and the Bengals have improved theirs too. Chiefs grabbed Donovan Smith and Jawaan Taylor for this year. Wouldn’t you feel better if Beane did that? That was after they added Orlando brown the year before and won the SB. 

Beane just doesn’t seem to care about Josh getting murdered week in and week out. We only have so many years with josh and we are wasting them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That was fine until they schlepped Doyle off.  Then it became:

image.thumb.png.a0307a994f5a7cc64125d398ccb2548a.png

Yeah, I'm not sure what they can do about OT. Van Denmark appears to have some promise. He's better at LT.

Betting on Brown was always risky and seemed unwise from the get go. I think we can overcome deficiencies elsewhere, but 

improving the IOL is not going to be a win if the tackles disappoint as badly as last night.

18 minutes ago, balln said:

Yea we’ll we’re going to

get toasted over the middle in passing game. And steam rolled in the run. Oh well. Let’s see some shootouts. And McD to outscheme a team in the playoffs for once 

Tell me again the trophy you earn for being the “best” run team? Oh that’s right. No one cares. Super Bowl or bust 

You’re reading too much into a half of a preseason game. Give the GM and HC a chance to earn their money and reputations. The penalties are on the HC. We knew that there was a big hole in the middle. Beane thought we could get away with what’s on the roster.  Look for heads to roll this week and new personnel to be brought in. Even if it takes cap manipulation, a swing tackle and an experienced LB is a must for depth and improvement. You can panic after the Jets game, not now.

I wanted beane gone after the home playoff lost. I know I’m in the minority with that opinion but these guys should have been on the hot seat at least. The pegulas giving them an extension over the summer was a huge slap in the face to the fans that have been tired of watching McDermott get out coached and watching all of the other afc teams continue to get better. With knowing the bills weaknesses and watching that first quarter I’ve seen enough to realize they aren’t the superbowl favorites like they thought they were and will have to battle for a playoff spot. Really can’t wait to hear the excuses for McDermott and beane then from all their fanboys. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

Since 2019 and excluding our most recent draft, we certainly have not been getting the expected or needed production from our early round draft picks.  Elam, Bernard, Basham, Espensa, and Brown are not busts, but none are playing at a quality starter level.  Groot and Knox seem to be the exceptions and I am not sure what to make of Oliver.  Cody Ford was a bust, and Singletary and Moss are playing for other teams as back-ups.

All JAGs

1 minute ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Disagree partially with point 1. While it’s true the bills haven’t been in position at the top of the draft, you could make the same argument for the chiefs and bengals but their general managers realize the importance of offensive line and they made moves. The chiefs have rebuilt their line TWICE in the last few years and the Bengals have improved theirs too. Chiefs grabbed Donovan Smith and Jawaan Taylor for this year. Wouldn’t you feel better if Beane did that? That was after they added Orlando brown the year before and won the SB. 

Beane just doesn’t seem to care about Josh getting murdered week in and week out. We only have so many years with josh and we are wasting them. 

I really don't think Dawkins is as bad as others say, and I don't think Jawaan Taylor just as an example is some kind of great pickup.  They got a veteran in Shell who has played solid minutes in the league, but he decided to retire.  You can't blame Beane for that.  

I would like to see the Dutch kid and the FA from Florida get a lot of minutes in the last preseason game.  And I suspect we may see the waiver wires get scrutinized for some help there.  Here's what goes on around here:  if they had spent a ton of money on the O line (my preference, and it looks like yours), then they get crucified for not using it to keep Edmunds, or to get a second WR (even though Davis apparently looked great yesterday). And so on.  You have so much $$ to spend, and you prioritize where to spend it.  I would do so up front, so I am disappointed we didn't get better competition at tackle.  But it appears we have significantly upgraded both guard spots, which is a big help over last year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

You’re reading too much into a half of a preseason game. Give the GM and HC a chance to earn their money and reputations. The penalties are on the HC. We knew that there was a big hole in the middle. Beane thought we could get away with what’s on the roster.  Look for heads to roll this week and new personnel to be brought in. Even if it takes cap manipulation, a swing tackle and an experienced LB is a must for depth and improvement. You can panic after the Jets game, not now.

No. I’m evaluating starters against starters. And keeping in mind how we looked exactly the same vs cicny

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I really don't think Dawkins is as bad as others say, and I don't think Jawaan Taylor just as an example is some kind of great pickup.  They got a veteran in Shell who has played solid minutes in the league, but he decided to retire.  You can't blame Beane for that.  

I would like to see the Dutch kid and the FA from Florida get a lot of minutes in the last preseason game.  And I suspect we may see the waiver wires get scrutinized for some help there.  Here's what goes on around here:  if they had spent a ton of money on the O line (my preference, and it looks like yours), then they get crucified for not using it to keep Edmunds, or to get a second WR (even though Davis apparently looked great yesterday). And so on.  You have so much $$ to spend, and you prioritize where to spend it.  I would do so up front, so I am disappointed we didn't get better competition at tackle.  But it appears we have significantly upgraded both guard spots, which is a big help over last year.

It’s about being shrewd and making tough decisions. Chiefs traded away tyreke hill! 

keeping tre white , poyer , Oliver and signing knox are bad business moves IMO. Needed better lines on both sides. 

just not good enough guys 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1. I don’t think Kincaid was ever the pic…. He ended up being clearly the BPA.

2. I think Jack Campbell was the pick at ILB but he was drafted too 20 and Beane made a decision to grab BPA, especially since all the top 3-4 WRs were gone.

3. if this team can’t run the ball efficiently with Cook, Harris and Murray…. Our edges will struggle this year because Dawkins is showing regression and Brown can shiz the bed sometimes.

I don’t think Beane is to blame, t try totally. But after this year, I see a major house cleaning coming.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

Beane sealed this teams fate as soon as he signed Von Miller and Dawkins, Oliver and Knox to loaded contracts.  They are all overpaid liabilities to this teams capital to get good serviceable talent in the door because of their cap and salary burden that has been created with these ridiculous contracts. Tre White also should be on this list.  Will have to see how he performs this year after a full off season recovery time for his ACL.

Dawkins 

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $58,300,000   SIGNING BONUS $8,600,000   AVERAGE SALARY $14,575,000   GTD AT SIGN: $29,500,441   TOTAL GTD: $29,500,441

FREE AGENT:2025 / UFA

Miller

CONTRACT TERMS:6 yr(s) / $120,000,000   SIGNING BONUS $18,525,000   AVERAGE SALARY $20,000,000   GTD AT SIGN: $45,000,000  TOTAL GTD: $51,435,000 FREE AGENT:2028 / UFA

Knox

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $52,000,000   SIGNING BONUS $7,000,000    AVERAGE SALARY $13,000,000   GTD AT SIGN: $19,920,000   TOTAL GTD: $31,200,000   

FREE AGENT:2027 / UFA

Oliver

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $68,000,000    SIGNING BONUS $14,750,000    AVERAGE SALARY $17,000,000    GTD AT SIGN: $24,528,000  TOTAL GTD: $45,278,000

FREE AGENT:2028 / UF

There was tons of talent available during the offseason that was unattainable because of 4 extremely poor player contracts on this team.

Beane is nothing more than a used car salesman to the Bills, he buys and sells us used talent that only performs at 50% of what something new would perform at .

This is what it is now, overpaid players & underperforming players equals the garbage out performance we have seen last year, and will probably see again this year.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Augie said:

This was merely this week's award.  We all know there will be at least a few overreaction threads on the board anytime the Bills lose. 😁

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.