Interesting NY Post article…claims Kincaid was Beane’s target days before the draft…

eball

The article is linked on the TBD news page.  Apparently the Giants and Bills had a deal in place to trade picks because Beane really wanted Kincaid, but Schoen nixed it on draft night to trade up and get their guy, and Beane had to then scramble to do a deal with Tampa (edit: Jacksonville) and jump ahead of Dallas (whom everyone knew wanted a TE).

Anyway, I found it interesting that Kincaid was Beane’s target all along…

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, eball said:

The article is linked on the TBD news page.  Apparently the Giants and Bills had a deal in place to trade picks because Beane really wanted Kincaid, but Schoen nixed it on draft night to trade up and get their guy, and Beane had to then scramble to do a deal with Tampa and jump ahead of Dallas (whom everyone knew wanted a TE).

Did the article mention Beane was at Tempo having dinner with @BADOLBILZ, @Einstein and @ScottLaw when this went down?

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 17
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, eball said:

The article is linked on the TBD news page.  Apparently the Giants and Bills had a deal in place to trade picks because Beane really wanted Kincaid, but Schoen nixed it on draft night to trade up and get their guy, and Beane had to then scramble to do a deal with Tampa and jump ahead of Dallas (whom everyone knew wanted a TE).

It’s certainly possible - probable I’d say - that Beane had more than one target in the first round. A GM just can’t speak to that after the fact. The story always seems to be that they got the one player they were targeting in that spot. While we won’t ever know if Kincaid was #1 overall on his list (and he certainly could have been), we can be fairly certain that there wasn’t anyone else left that he wanted in the late first. He was going to try to move back if Dallas got Kincaid. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Agree 2

I remember hearing shortly after the draft that Beane thought he had a deal in place with the Giants (think he even said so himself) -- but had to shift gears when the Giants made the move up. The inference was that the Bills were (by Beane's own admission) targeting a "receiver" (note he did not say WIDE receiver). That has led many to speculate that they may have been targeting 1-2 of the WRs that were drafted a few spots ahead of the Bills. That is possible -- but it is also possible that Kincaid truly was the target all along.

46 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

I remember hearing shortly after the draft that Beane thought he had a deal in place with the Giants (think he even said so himself) -- but had to shift gears when the Giants made the move up. The inference was that the Bills were (by Beane's own admission) targeting a "receiver" (note he did not say WIDE receiver). That has led many to speculate that they may have been targeting 1-2 of the WRs that were drafted a few spots ahead of the Bills. That is possible -- but it is also possible that Kincaid truly was the target all along.

I think that speaks more to how they viewed Kincaid, and they didn’t want to give away too much when trying to move. Teams talk. 

I think they see Kincaid as a big receiver. Best hands in the draft baby! 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

I would think the Giants wouldn’t have wanted Dallas to get him. Wonder if they somehow assisted Beane with the Tampa deal.  

I’m sure they didn’t which is why they made the deal originally. 

But at the end of the day you have to do what’s best for your team at the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Heavy Kevi said:

In a video released by Bills after the draft (maybe an "embedded") beane said all this directly.

I would imagine that's where NYP got the info.

there is a video with him talking to NFL Networks Pete Schrager about it that was making the rounds yesterday.

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Peter Schrager said the same thing on GMFB this morning too. He listed Kincaid as one of his top 5 rookies so far in camp, and said Beane told him he was the target but they never thought he would drop down as far as he did. 

I try not to put too much stock into "camp highlight" vids put out by teams, but I will say that Dalton looks buttery out there. Just so smooth and natural. He catches the ball like he's catching a little baby.

Hopefully he can catch Josh's fastball when he's the hot read and Josh is under pressure. If we had a guy who could be that outlet, it could truly be a game changer for us; especially given the talk this year about Josh focusing on some more short and intermediate throws to open up the shot plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

I have no reason to doubt this, except I dont trust much related to the draft (even after), and the 2 parties are a little too convenient.

While I cant figure out what Beane/Schoen have to gain exactly, Im certain theres ulterior motives, that somehow benefit us even mildly in coming drafts... even if its one of NYG/Bills trying to gain an extra few points in a trade down scenario in the coming years in any round lol

Glad we got him because this could really add a brand new dimension to the offense. The thing I really love about Kincaid is his yards after catch ability. He always seems to squirm for an extra 5-10 yards before getting tackled. Allen needs his own Witten/Gates/Kelce/Tony G. I’d actually rather have an elite TE over an elite WR because they seem much harder to find. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Yep.

Thanks! I had seen that before, but it’s been a while and it means even more with football about to start! Well worth the time to watch again if you are wondering. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.