Is Gabe Davis a trade candidate?

Almost certainly not.

And you bring in Isabella the same reason you take a flier on any player. You hope he's an upgrade on someone, especially so cheap. 

You never say never, but below 1% chance, IMO.

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Big drop off at the WR position after Diggs. Everyone of those guys are replaceable and interchangeable. 

Just shows you how good Allen is with a mediocre WR core. 

What?

Yes, about the big dropoff after Diggs, but no, they're not interchangeable after that, far from it. Gabe was headed for around 1100 yards last season till Gabe's leg injury and Josh's arm problem. There's nothing interchangeable about it, unless you count Kincaid as a WR. Nobody but Kincaid (who hopefully will soon end up on a tier above Gabe) is on Gabe's tier.

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I don't think we trade him, but recent events make me wonder. By all reports sounds like Sherfield and Harty are flashing in camp. With Kincaid and Knox we're going to run more 12 personnel than at any point during the Allen era, making WRs more expendable.

And then we sign a recent 2nd round WR in Andy Isabella. I realize he's been a bust thus far, but why would Beane bother bringing him in if he thought our WR corps was set?

And that's where the guesswork comes into play...

I'm sure most view it as Shakir insurance based on his reportedly poor start to camp. I think that'd be financially kinda silly considering Shakir showed some potential in actual NFL games and he's one of only 2 or 3 (if Shorter makes the team) WRs still under contract after 2023.

Gabe Davis will get a contract next season likely (as of this moment at least) in the $10-$15 million range, and I think that's actually below (maybe well below) what he'll actually get. We all know Buffalo’s CAP situation and what we're already gonna be paying Diggs since there's no out on his contract for 3 or 4 years. 

$40+ million (conservatively) a year to 2 WRs?

And then there's this from the first few TC practices from Joe B's day 3 report at The Athletic:

Davis targeted minimally the last two practices

Following the Bills’ second day of practice, starting receiver Gabe Davis was quite candid about some of his physical and mental struggles during the 2022 season, stemming from an early-year high ankle sprain that wound up defining his output. He didn’t take the leap many were hoping for, but he remains very well thought of throughout the building. There’s no doubt Davis looks a lot smoother and more explosive on his routes than from when he was injured, but it hasn’t translated to much production through the early portion of camp. Of those 37 Allen pass attempts over the last two practices, Davis was only targeted in team drills twice. Both targets occurred on Friday, and to Davis’ credit, he brought in both for a shorter reception. Over the same span, Diggs (10), Trent Sherfield (6), Knox (5) and Kincaid (3) were all targeted more often by Allen. It could just be the start of camp and a feeling out process with Allen and Davis, or perhaps it’s a continuation of the lower target share Davis accrued during 2022. Either way, all eyes will be on the now-healthy Davis in a contract year.

I know this... we already have a lot of draft capital next year and Beane loves trading up. What do you think Gabe fetches? A 3rd? A 4th? I think we could at least get a 4th for him, which is where he was drafted. 

Then Big Baller Beane uses all those draft picks to get our next #1 in waiting in next year's draft...

Marvin Harrison Jr. anyone????

Would love Marvin or joe alt in the next draft class 

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Almost certainly not.

And you bring in Isabella the same reason you take a flier on any player. You hope he's an upgrade on someone, especially so cheap. 

You never say never, but below 1% chance, IMO.

What?

Yes, about the big dropoff after Diggs, but no, they're not interchangeable after that, far from it. Gabe was headed for around 1100 yards last season till Gabe's leg injury and Josh's arm problem. There's nothing interchangeable about it, unless you count Kincaid as a WR. Nobody but Kincaid (who hopefully will soon end up on a tier above Gabe) is on Gabe's tier.

Agree on the flier comment. We've seen a lot of them in recent years. From a washed up Smoke and Beasley to always injuried Crowder to a Tavon Austin. Now it's Isabella and NKeal Harry. Yet, they let Hodgins get away. How good would he look in a Bills uniform now.

Gabe is by far better than any of the above. You are 100% correct. I'm foolish but not that foolish to disagree here.  Is Gabe good enough as a WR2? I suspect many think he is. That's where I disagree. Last year, wasn't a glowing example. Of course, we will see what develops this year. 

Obviously, Gabe is slotted as the WR2. As for me, that doesn't sit well. Feel free to disagree. I wanted an upgrade.

Beane had to make several hard decisions and prioritize team needs with team cap issues. Getting Gabe on the cheap this year certainly helps. Next year is a whole different animal. 

Perhaps a more healthy Davis in a contract year might elevate his game to another level. 

In the meantime, let us Bills fans have our fantasies about a 1% WR hitting it big in a Bills uniform. After all, don't we all wish for hitting the lottery...

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

That's a pretty creative idea.   I like all the soft evidence you've given.  There's a limit to how many big receivers you're gonna put on the field, and Knox and Kincaid both should see the field a lot.  Hard to say what to think of Shorter at this point, but he has to be a long shot. 

The other point is that McBeane love speed, and it's been in short supply in Buffalo.   The possibility of moving Davis makes the Isabella signing make more sense.   Maybe they want a burner opposite Diggs, with Kincaid in the slot.   Maybe they think Shakir can handle the load at #2, or maybe #2 will be receiver by committee. 

It is curious how stacked the receiver room is with guys who have potential. 

Interesting suggestion.    

I'm excited to see what Shakir's role will be on the team. He certainly didn't get much playing time. 

He did look to be solid when he got his limited opportunities. I'm way more excited about his than Gabe. I hope he gets the chance to be the WR2. Davis would be much better as a WR3.

This scenario has a Madden / fantasy smell to it…, so in real life the likely hood is pretty darn low… being that the first three days of training camp results are not what GMs and HCs base decisions with short and long term consequences on at the start of a season with Super bowl aspirations. 

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

I doubt it..  but if he’s truly in their long term plans, they should seriously get him signed before the season starts. 

The chTter on WGR is that it’s more and more likely he will get signed prior to the start of the season.  I have my thoughts, and the ankle was a problem.

You guys know me and although I’m mostly positive about McD, I don’t know why he didn’t shut down Davis for a month last season after the TN game and let him heal.  Instead this injury weighed on Davis just like Spencer Brown all year.  

If they truly believe in Davis, he’ll be extended.  That’s not my opinion, just reading the tea leaves of what is likely.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

No.  He's never put up 50 plus receptions, 900 plus yards, or over 8 touchdowns in a season like GoBills808 quoted.  Reading comprehension matters.

Ahh, the ole reading comprehension line. Stampede wrote that Gabe blocks, gobills replied with he’s literally never done any of those things. So, dude never blocked anyone!??Never?!?  Literally?!?
Reading comprehension matters, smart butt. 

Edit: I’ll excuse your lack of reading comprehension because 4 hrs ago, eastern time would be 4:30 in the morning. Were you drunk when you replied with this nonsense?!?😂

What’s up, Doc?

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I never cease to be amazed by the undue appreciation that some fans just bestow upon the new crop of JAG's and camp fodder.

Gabe isn't an ideal WR2 for a contender but he's a starter in the NFL.........those guys range from WR4(Sharty in the rare event when healthy) all the way to unplayable.

This one may be @transplantbillsfan’s worst take yet, which is saying something.

• Agree 1

Um no

The Bills have no one on the roster that can do what Davis does. He's the only legit outside deep threat on the team opposite Diggs. He is a willing blocker and biggest body at WR. 

Yes the drops need to get better. 

Other than that he is a great WR#2!

Now signing him long term is a different story. He is going to want #1 money and they just can't afford that.

So just like Edmunds you let him walk and get a comp pick.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

As for the idea of trading him, which has now come up twice in a week. He is going tl get paid. Possibly by the Bills or most likely by someone else in FA next spring. Which would net the Bills possibly a 3rd but certainly a 4th round comp pick. So sure you could trade him for that now and bring that pick forward from the 2025 Draft to the 2024 Draft but you have willingly made a team in a Superbowl window weaker to do that. It makes no sense.

As this thread is about hypotheticals...

If another team has a malcontent WR with a better catch %, I wouldnt mind trading Davis and a 2024 draft pick to get him. 

3 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

As this thread is about hypotheticals...

If another team has a malcontent WR with a better catch %, I wouldnt mind trading Davis and a 2024 draft pick to get him. 

Sure if they can upgrade Davis in a trade.... but the post is about trading him for future picks. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

box already checked

I am honestly blanking out. Who were you referring to? Or are you saying the Bills have already checked and haven't found anyone?

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sure if they can upgrade Davis in a trade.... but the post is about trading him for future picks. 

I was only picking up on the question whether is a trade candidate.  

4 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I am honestly blanking out. Who were you referring to? Or are you saying the Bills have already checked and haven't found anyone?

I was only picking up on the question whether is a trade candidate.  

a malcontent WR with a better % that cost them draft picks......hmmmm

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

He's literally never done any of those things

He blocks. 

Sorry, pet peeve there. Literally gets thrown around literally WAY too much.  😋

He had 48 catches for 836 yards and 7 TD’s last year while dealing with a high ankle sprain. He missed some time and was hampered for quite a while. Yes, he came in slightly below the 50/900/8 numbers given, but I feel pretty good that if healthy he will hit those marks this year. Then somebody will pay him more than we want to pay, we will collect our comp pick and move on. Having players other teams want is a good problem to have. Not being able to pay them all is just reality. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.