Jets' O-line is their Achilles heel

Inigo Montoya

Also, Rodgers came from a top 3 OL in GB. They were perennial division winners 3 years prior to last year, where his game fell off a cliff. I believe he will put up similar numbers and similar record. 7-8 wins. He was in a muchhh easier division and conference.  Week 1 we'll set the tone

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

Bills O-line is a major contributor to not getting to a SB already.  I'm trying to optimistic with our Offseason moves but still see the Line as a liability personally. 

Bills OL has potential, but we're all going to be holding our breath hoping Spencer Brown makes the jump. 

I think Dawkins, McGovern and Morse have all proven to be above average pass blockers in their careers.  All are still capable of playing at a high level, with McGovern just entering his prime years as a Guard.  

Bates is solid at RG, but his true value is in position flex, and if Torrence can win that spot, then we may really have something here.  

At the end of the day, Spencer Brown is as boom or bust as it gets at RT.  If he booms... we may just have a very good OL.  If he busts... better hope the last minute addition of Shell saves us at that position so we don't need RB/TE help over there all the time.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Even if Brown is the Brown of the last two seasons they can survive considering he plays RT and Allen’s mobility… the key is the interior line. Need McGovern and one of Edwards/Torrence to hit.

Yea, the FO's view on interior linemen (up until this year) has looked quite foolish.

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s also our Achilles heel… along with our receivers… the difference is Allen is still young and incredible and Rodgers is closing in on 40. 

Agreed, in that it was last season (and tbh the season before). I have a bit more optimism about their moves this year on the OL but totally reasonable to say "believe it when I see it."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Becton has looked rough pretty much forever hasn’t he? 

good luck Aaron.

When he's even out there. A combination of injury, weight, and commitment issues seem to have rendered him mostly a name at this point. The only time he was ever consistently solid was his rookie season

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

Also, Rodgers came from a top 3 OL in GB. They were perennial division winners 3 years prior to last year, where his game fell off a cliff. I believe he will put up similar numbers and similar record. 7-8 wins. He was in a muchhh easier division and conference.  Week 1 we'll set the tone

McDermott's first game as DC.. Going to be a lot of people's pride on the line in a big Week 1 division game.  

I truly hope we have a more aggressive, attacking defense.  If i'm McD in that game, I want Rodgers to know, immediately, that he is no longer in Green Bay... Light him up and expose the Jets OL.   Make him feel it the next day. 

Come out of that game with Bills W and having Rodgers questioning his decision to go there. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Lucky our line has been so good last year 

Yep, that's the key.  The Bengals' O line going into the playoff game was supposed to be THEIR Achilles heel, so our D line could dominate and keep Burrow from having time to pass.  As usual, that didn't pan out.  Burrow could have had a coffee and donut and then passed the ball on many plays. 

39 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

They should sign Saffold, he'll help. 😁

Yeah, he made the Pro Bowl last year.  And somehow he's available.  What a disastrous decision by the Bills not to bring him back.    /s of course.

• Haha (+1) 2

Morse vs. Tippman or McGovern

Bates/McGovern vs. Tomlinson/Vera-Tucker

Dawkins/Brown vs. Brown/Becton

Jets line could be better than ours. QB play impacts how an OL looks and tell me the last time the Jets has a real QB? They have potential in a bunch of early draft picks (4 starters are 1st round picks). 

3 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

Bills O-line is a major contributor to not getting to a SB already.  I'm trying to optimistic with our Offseason moves but still see the Line as a liability personally. 

It's all just more band-aids from McBeane.  If only we could get them to love the OL the way they love the DL.

Prepare for a regression year.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s also our Achilles heel… along with our receivers… the difference is Allen is still young and incredible and Rodgers is closing in on 40. 

Allen is still young and capable, also inconsistent and tends to lose his footwork, accuracy, and brain under pressure. Can't continue to expect his arm and athleticism to overcome everything.

The simple fact he's big and can withstand impact is a valid point...so far.   

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Rodgers is exceptionally good at throwing checkdowns if his OL breaks down. Expect Rodgers to lead the league in checkdowns and lowest air yards. If the Jets can’t block the defense can collapse anticipating pressure will get there before WRs win down the field. 

So, the Jets should be defended with tight coverage and early pressure.   What you can't do is a loose zone with CBs lining up 10 - 15 yards deep.

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

So, the Jets should be defended with tight coverage and early pressure.   What you can't do is a loose zone with CBs lining up 10 - 15 yards deep.

So the exact opposite of the Bengals game. Amazing considering they were starting 3 backups. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.