Jets' O-line is their Achilles heel

Inigo Montoya

Been making the rounds of the AFCE message boards with camp starting and there is some worry in Gang Green about the line they're putting in front of 39 year old Aaron Rodgers.  The O-line is the biggest question mark on a team with a roster that otherwise looks pretty solid.  I think its fair to say that the Jets will go as far as their O-Line can take them.

Here's a link to the thread I was reading about Becton looking rough today.  It is his first day back following his injury and being out so I wouldn't read too much into one day's performance, but he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before the injury either.

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/becton-not-looking-good.99103/

Here are a few of the comments that provide a pretty good sample of the opinions there.

"Becton let up 3 sacks today and was later pulled. This is not a good sign for the O line. I know it has been a while since he played but I was expecting a little bit more from him. I know the trade for Rodgers was needed but moving down two spots on the draft cost us a tackle which in retropsect looks to be a costly mistake."

"It’s not so much that any one particular move cost us. But not trying to get a better tackle in here was certainly a bad move. Rolling into the year with often injured and bad pass protector in Becton, 84 year old Duane Brown and shaky Max Mitchell is scary."

"Very scary stuff there. Two oft-injured left tackles and two unproven right tackles."

"He wasn't pulled because he gave up the sacks. He is on a "pitch count." He's hasn't played in two years and is coming back from injury. They're trying to keep him healthy while he shakes off the rust. If he is still struggling in a month, then I'll worry, but it's way too early to even think about that. Also, Saleh said that Becton doesn't fully trust his knee yet, so he's not going all out. He's being careful and judicious in his movements."

"He hasn't played in a year, is coming off a major injury and has a whole new body with his weight loss. Reading too much into his performance this far before the season is just as misguided as thinking that some unknown who catches a few big passes one day in training camp is going to be the next Al Toon."

"Saw some vid on Becton. That is one HUGE KNEE BRACE the young man is wearing. Not sure just how much mobility he's gonna have with that thing on."

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Rodgers saw the state of the line and said "take my money. Take whatever you need."

Not like the Bills ever seem to take advantage of poor o-lines, anyway....

If Rodgers gets absolutely destroyed this season behind that line you know he’ll be stewing over that money he gave up while he nurses his various injuries. 

Idk I have never got the hype for them or the Dolphins this offseason. I still think the Bills are leagues ahead of both.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Nothing to worry about. Rodgers has been taking his toad serum and eating 250 mg of mung sap per day which are known for promoting rib health and have only moderate psychotropic side effects.

“Mike White got cracked like a glow stick”

best. Line. Ever. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

If Rodgers gets absolutely destroyed this season behind that line you know he’ll be stewing over that money he gave up while he nurses his various injuries. 

Idk I have never got the hype for them or the Dolphins this offseason. I still think the Bills are leagues ahead of both.

They always get the hype because of their markets.

Rodgers is exceptionally good at throwing checkdowns if his OL breaks down. Expect Rodgers to lead the league in checkdowns and lowest air yards. If the Jets can’t block the defense can collapse anticipating pressure will get there before WRs win down the field. 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Lucky our line has been so good last year 

Fair point.

It might also be argued that we went as far last year as our O-Line took us.

The Cincy game collapse was more than just the O-Line, but the O-Line was a big part of it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Nothing to worry about. Rodgers has been taking his toad serum and eating 250 mg of mung sap per day which are known for promoting rib health and have only moderate psychotropic side effects.

Such an awesome hit. Sorry he got hurt, though.

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Fair point.

It might also be argued that we went as far last year as our O-Line took us.

The Cincy game collapse was more than just the O-Line, but the O-Line was a big part of it.

Cincy debacle was also the D-line. At least the Jets have one line going for them.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Cincy debacle was also the D-line. At least the Jets have one line going for them.

Do you truly think a DL of:

Von, Floyd, Rousseau, Jones, Ford and Oliver is not going to be something we have “going for us”?

4/6 of those guys didn’t play against Cincy. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Von, Floyd, Rousseau, Jones, Ford and Oliver is not going to be something we have “going for us”?

No telling if/when Miller plays this year. Hopefully Floyd has something left in the tank to cover in the meantime. Ford, Jones, and Oliver? They’re fine. Average.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, SCBills said:

And the other two also didn't play against Cincy.

😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.