Giants signing Cole Beasley

dreadlox

On 7/22/2023 at 6:01 PM, tomur67 said:

I can’t understand the hatred for Beas.  Just because he had a different opinion about Covid than you did is a pretty lame reason to hate the the guy. There were many prominent people who had the same opinion as he did, including many in the medical field. For two seasons, he was an integral reason for Josh’s success. Best of luck Beas!

It was never his disagreement with covid vax, it was his childish manner in which he displayed his opinion. Many people had varying opinions on the subject and they didn'take a spectacle of themselves in the process. Beasley did. As a player, I liked him too ...

• Agree 10

On 7/22/2023 at 9:10 AM, AuntieEm said:

Never know  Cole may just be okay with collecting a ps check with a  gig on the NY Giants PS as insurance.  He collects a bit of cash as a vet and might have some studio work for his rapping in the NYC area.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Beasley wants to live on the practice squad.  Guy has $38.9M in career earnings, and unless you count recording equipment or building basketball courts on his properties, I don't think he's squandered it a bit. PS guys make a max of what, $385k?  What's 1% to Beasley?

He wants to play, and he thinks he's still got it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think Beasley wants to live on the practice squad.  Guy has $38.9M in career earnings, and unless you count recording equipment or building basketball courts on his properties, I don't think he's squandered it a bit. PS guys make a max of what, $385k?  What's 1% to Beasley?

Agree. 

Cole has always been a bit... different. I remember when we signed him he talked about turning down more money to sign with New England to come here. It's not about money for him. 

He's a guy that has been told his whole career that he can't do it. Too small. Too slow. He lives to prove other people wrong. That's why he wants to be on the field playing. He can't do that on a practice squad. I would guess he retires again before he takes that role. 

it's not infalliable, but the way a team ranks it's WR is often reflected in $$

Beasley is #8 for the Giants

24 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

I think he's still got game, but his body seems to break down

I don't know if it's a function of injury then continuing recovery, but I thought he was slow getting to the spot in 2021 and painfully slow in 2022.

He was making or attempting to make some circus catches, but in part that was because he wasn't where he was supposed to be (yet) when the ball was thrown

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Interesting, thats a really thin WR room. Davis would be the clear wr1 there.

I mean he was good off the couch w Dorsey. He doesn't rely on speed, just getting to soft spots in zone. I think Buf just wanted more explosiveness from the slot

Honestly, JB, I can't imagine that they are looking for more than 3-4 grabs a game, all for about 8-10 yards a pop and a couple of first downs.  If he still has anything left that is what they will get.  I don't think he is a key for them, but he does give them that slot threat/dump off.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Hey donuts, you may be right.  He’s definitely lost a step.  Most likely he’ll be good for 7 yard quick out passes, but not much after the catch.

That will help the Giants keep the sticks moving.  He’s reliable and has sure hands.  He’s just lost the athleticism he once had at a younger age.  This isn’t me banging on the guy.  The Giants need bandaids to keep in the hunt in the NFCE.

It makes sense for Dabbs.  Since he and Schoen went there, I’ve become a small Giants supporter.  Nothing like the Bills, but I want them to succeed.  I’m still hopeful we beat them in October, but confident this may be Von’s first game and you know he’ll have a big game.

Guns, solid points.  Additionally, I can't think of a move that Daboll and Schoen done since they got to New York that I haven't liked.  Not everything will pan out, but I like that team and it doesn't hurt that I love the guys running it.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That's a really solid stat line for a preseason game...however in this case it feels like more information is needed.

For instance, being preseason was he with the 1s working against 1s and 2s from the Lions? Did he do his damage against late in the game going against those the general public like to say are headed for grocery clerk status? How deep into the game did he play? 

I ask not to bash but because I didn't catch the game and don't know the answer. However usage and level of opponent really comes into play during the preseason as well.

BBG, you are absolutely right.  I, too, did not catch the game.  I was just checking the stat line as I believe someone on NFL Network was referencing that he had a good game.

BTW, my post about him was NOT about him staying here or that he should have stayed here.  We have better options, top to bottom.  I just remembered this thread and details on game 1 were referenced this morning.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Honestly, JB, I can't imagine that they are looking for more than 3-4 grabs a game, all for about 8-10 yards a pop and a couple of first downs.  If he still has anything left that is what they will get.  I don't think he is a key for them, but he does give them that slot threat/dump off.

The Giants signed Paris Campbell, who is primarily a slot, for $2.9M guaranteed.  Then they signed Jamison Crowder to a VSB (vet salary benefit) contract with small signing, workout, and roster bonuses.

Then they signed Beasley to vet minimum with NO bonuses

The general feeling on folks covering the Giants seems to be that Shepard, Slayton, Hodgins, 3rd round pick Jalin Hyatt, and Parris Campbell are sho-ins.

That probably leaves one roster spot.  Crowder can return punts and kicks - did last year and the year before.  Beasley has returned punts and kicks in the past, but has not done so since 2018.

Some Giants writers are putting Beasley ahead of Crowder.  Both caught everything thrown at them in the game vs the Lions, Crowder 2 of 2 for 32 yds, Beasley 4 of 4 for 33 yds.  Beasley played in the 1Q, Crowder in the 2Q, which is often held to indicate position on the depth chart, but it's only the 1st preseason game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The Giants signed Paris Campbell, who is primarily a slot, for $2.9M guaranteed.  Then they signed Jamison Crowder to a VSB (vet salary benefit) contract with small signing, workout, and roster bonuses.

The general feeling on folks covering the Giants seems to be that Shepard, Slayton, Hodgins, 3rd round pick Jalin Hyatt, and Parris Campbell are sho-ins.

That probably leaves one roster spot.  Crowder can return punts and kicks - did last year and the year before.  Beasley has returned punts and kicks in the past, but has not done so since 2018.

Some Giants writers are putting Beasley ahead of Crowder.  Both caught everything thrown at them in the game vs the Lions, Crowder 2 of 2 for 32 yds, Beasley 4 of 4 for 33 yds.  Beasley played in the 1Q, Crowder in the 2Q, which is often held to indicate position on the depth chart, but it's only the 1st preseason game.

Beck, thank you for the info.  Great stuff.  

Honestly going to be watching this if I get the chance during the next two games.

It is preseason, but I am starting to get so wound up for the season I just need more and more to think about, even above and beyond the Bills.

Unless everyone else here just wants to listen to and watch the talking heads fall all over themselves about the Jets for the next three weeks?

😉

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That's a really solid stat line for a preseason game...however in this case it feels like more information is needed.

For instance, being preseason was he with the 1s working against 1s and 2s from the Lions? Did he do his damage against late in the game going against those the general public like to say are headed for grocery clerk status? How deep into the game did he play? 

I ask not to bash but because I didn't catch the game and don't know the answer. However usage and level of opponent really comes into play during the preseason as well.

You can check the play by play in the PDF available at the bottom of "game details".

Beas played in the 1Q, with Tyrod Taylor and then DeVito.  Crowder played early in the 2nd with DeVito.

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You left off maybe their best wr, WanDale Robinson.  I thought initially Beasley was almost there as a tryout in case the giants had injuries during the season so camp was a time for him to get familiar with the giants offense.   Now I think he has taken crowders job.  

Now I kind of think crowder is the odd guy out.  Collin Johnson is going to be on the PS for sure...not sure how many wr a team with a shaky line can carry.

Edited by MikePJ76
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Bease is going to EAT in Daboll's loaded offense and this move makes me feel much more confident about picking the Giants to make the SB this year in the NFC.

so...you still saying stupid ***** on twitter?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I could give a **** less about someone’s politics. Always loved Beas and his swagger. Hope he does well and sticks it to the Cowboys.

Biggest mistake this regime made last year was dumping him for Lil Useless McKenzie.

All reports out of NY is that Bease looks refreshed and healthy. I think Giants offense going to be among leagues best if Daniel Jones momentum continues...

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Biggest mistake this regime made last year was dumping him for Lil Useless McKenzie.

All reports out of NY is that Bease looks refreshed and healthy. I think Giants offense going to be among leagues best if Daniel Jones momentum continues...

He was looking pretty fluid and made some big catches here last year. Didn’t look like he was done at all. Slot WRs in the mold of Cole Beasley who rely on short bursts & field vision can have pretty long shelf-lives. The Giants have one of the worst WR rooms in the NFL so I don’t think he’ll have any trouble seeing the field.

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

He definitely wants attention and being on a NFL roster, PS or not, is definitely attention in the East Rutherford, NJ metro area.

Frankly I think he fits better in New Jersey.

42 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Isn't this the m.o. for 'Twatter' and the very reason for its existence?

:devil:

Twitter is for twits.

48 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He was looking pretty fluid and made some big catches here last year. Didn’t look like he was done at all. Slot WRs in the mold of Cole Beasley who rely on short bursts & field vision can have pretty long shelf-lives. The Giants have one of the worst WR rooms in the NFL so I don’t think he’ll have any trouble seeing the field.

He caught 2 passes for 18 yards.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Agree and I don't think he was fully healthy (or on board) when he signed with Tampa last year.

Certainly looked good in limited action here during his 2nd stint and I expect that to carry over this year for NY if he stays healthy.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

61mj4ebOKxL.jpg

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/giants-cole-beasley-remains-sidelined/

Beasley (leg) will not practice Wednesday, Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News reports.

Beasley was also unable to practice Tuesday due to the injury, and It's unclear how much longer the veteran wideout may need to recover before he takes the field again. Considering he is likely on the bubble regarding making the team's final 53-man roster, it'll be important for Beasley to return as soon as possible.

• Haha (+1) 4

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Guns, solid points.  Additionally, I can't think of a move that Daboll and Schoen done since they got to New York that I haven't liked.  Not everything will pan out, but I like that team and it doesn't hurt that I love the guys running it.

I can understand the interest in our old boys, but liking all their moves?  Not so much.  No problem with the dumpster diving and recycling of the old Bills players, it's reminiscent of the Bills/Carolina routine.  But none of those players are going to amount to much (and that includes Beas).

The real problem is  the Daboll/Shoen duo are fully responsible for foolishly giving Danny Dimes big money and giving large salaries to RBs.  That was not the lessons coming from the Bills.  That is like extending Tyrod and giving McCoy a big contract back in the day.  The duo is selling out for the short term and I don't think it will work.

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Malazan said:

61mj4ebOKxL.jpg

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/giants-cole-beasley-remains-sidelined/

Beasley (leg) will not practice Wednesday, Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News reports.

Beasley was also unable to practice Tuesday due to the injury, and It's unclear how much longer the veteran wideout may need to recover before he takes the field again. Considering he is likely on the bubble regarding making the team's final 53-man roster, it'll be important for Beasley to return as soon as possible.

people here just say ***** to say it lol

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I can understand the interest in our old boys, but liking all their moves?  Not so much.  No problem with the dumpster diving and recycling of the old Bills players, it's reminiscent of the Bills/Carolina routine.  But none of those players are going to amount to much (and that includes Beas).

The real problem is  the Daboll/Shoen duo are fully responsible for foolishly giving Danny Dimes big money and giving large salaries to RBs.  That was not the lessons coming from the Bills.  That is like extending Tyrod and giving McCoy a big contract back in the day.  The duo is selling out for the short term and I don't think it will work.

Some solid points, ED.  However,  as much as I am not the biggest fan of DJ, I am also not hounding on him.  He has Daboll right now as his OC and is almost (almost) night and day with him.  The highest QB rating of his career even while the team still had big holes?  Check. 

He is a veteran and he has more weapons.  I never said they are winning the super bowl or even the division, but I do like what they are doing.

Brown and Cole were what the Bills needed...when they needed them.  Whatever piecemeal Schoen is doing, even at this stage and other than QB, is still a bit year to year. 

28 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Some solid points, ED.  However,  as much as I am not the biggest fan of DJ, I am also not hounding on him.  He has Daboll right now as his OC and is almost (almost) night and day with him.  The highest QB rating of his career even while the team still had big holes?  Check. 

He is a veteran and he has more weapons.  I never said they are winning the super bowl or even the division, but I do like what they are doing.

Brown and Cole were what the Bills needed...when they needed them.  Whatever piecemeal Schoen is doing, even at this stage and other than QB, is still a bit year to year. 

I agree that it looks kind of piecemeal and short term thinking.  Bringing back Danny and Barkley looks like a recipe for 3rd in the division for years to come.  It's a tough road to the playoffs when you're third in the division.  And not making the playoffs can get  you fired.

Shoen/Daboll didn't do the hard and bold move Beane and McD did.      

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

That maybe there is some ownership directives perhaps?  Usually always thought the Maras just let their GM call the shots but I don't follow other teams ownerships and how little or how much they call the shots.

Except everyone knows Jerry in Dallas has total say in any decision.

1 hour ago, AuntieEm said:

That maybe there is some ownership directives perhaps?  Usually always thought the Maras just let their GM call the shots but I don't follow other teams ownerships and how little or how much they call the shots.

Except everyone knows Jerry in Dallas has total say in any decision.

the excellent start the Giants had at the beginning of last year I always thought was a problem.  It was fools gold. 

That nice start may have brought in ownership input that the long term plan was now out.  It may have prevented Shoen/Dabol from moving Barkley.  And that domino may have played a part in the decision to extend Jones.

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He caught a TD in a playoff game the Bills won by 3 points 

that doesn’t mean he had a successful season that indicates that the last two years were a fluke 

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

a) I don’t think we have any indication of his finances 

b) plenty of guys don’t know when to hang it up 

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

a) I don’t think we have any indication of his finances

We don't?  During the whole controversy he was at pains to tell everyone his family was completely set for life and that it was not about money.

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

b) plenty of guys don’t know when to hang it up 

Truth.  And I think Beasley is probably past his expiration date.  My point was that I think he is motivated to join the Giants from desire to get back out on the field every Sunday and experience playing professional NFL football again.  Sitting on the practice squad won't do that for him.

By the way, he's out of Giants practice right now with a leg injury.  Missed his 2nd practice.

Edited by Beck Water

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He definitely wants attention and being on a NFL roster, PS or not, is definitely attention in the East Rutherford, NJ metro area.

Well, I could be wrong, it's not like I've made an in-depth study of Beasley's rap music.  But I did listen to a couple of his 17 weeks podcasts and a song called "adrenaline junkie".

And from that I gathered that playing pro football is a helluva rush for guys who have the mindset for it.  It's not just "attention", it's the adrenaline rush from being out there pushing to your physical limits and hitting and being hit. 

You don't get that from being at practice or being on the practice squad.  He could get the "push to your physical limits" from training for an Iron Man or something like that, but the physical contact is part of the rush.  Allen just recently said himself that he "likes to get hit sometimes, it makes him feel alive". 

10 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Bease is going to EAT in Daboll's loaded offense and this move makes me feel much more confident about picking the Giants to make the SB this year in the NFC.

Is this serious?  If so, care to bet on that?

9 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Practically everyone does in training camp.

9 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Daniel Jones momentum? He threw for 200.3 ypg and averaged less than a td a game passing. He threw for 334 yards against the Vikings and 341 against the Lions. He only topped 200 yards 4 more times last year, while finishing with less than 200 yards 10 times. He had 2 good games last year, 3 if you count the Vikings playoff game and all 3 came against the 29th & 30th ranked pass defenses.

He did well running the ball, that was actually the biggest jump in his game over 2021. But even including those stats he averaged less than 250 total yards and 1.4 total tds per game. 

Barkley and Jones running the ball was the offense last year. They ended up 4th in rushing, 26th in passing.

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He had a long third down catch and a TD. That’s decent contribution for a guy signed a cpl weeks prior. 

By his standards that was a long catch. I checked it out and that 29 yarder tied for his 10th longest catch of his career. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.