Ron Raccucia out as EVP/COO

RiotAct

14 hours ago, Lost said:

Terry probably already found out there is going to be massive cost overruns that he is going to be on the hook for and Ron is the scapegoat.   That's my off the wall hypothesis

I’d bet on this scenario. If there’s massive cost overruns now, imagine the overruns a year down the road. Back to metal benches and peeing in pig troughs 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I think that it is safe to say, that Bills purchase by the Pegula's, has already generated considerable Equity. I'd wager that on paper, they have at the very least, doubled their money. Perhaps, more.

Why part with a very astute, and lucrative investment?

Oh, you mean THAT kind of equity.  I'll wait a few minutes for my blood pressure to come back down.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

If his job was to get the stadium project to this point, then we’ll done and wish him well.

If there are other defections, that’s when I’ll worry.  This may have been the plan all along and he was well aware.

It doesn't sound like it based on the tenor of the press release and the fact that it happened on a Wednesday.  The whole thing is odd. 

10 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Does it trouble anyone here that the new president of the Buffalo Bills is Terry Pegula?

Not really. As it pertains to football moves like FA, draft, shaping the roster, coaching hires/fires it's McBeane calling the shots. 

57 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

It doesn't sound like it based on the tenor of the press release and the fact that it happened on a Wednesday.  The whole thing is odd. 

Agreed

Terry's specific words were about improving the management team.  

This is going to be a very interesting season.  These management changes with Terry now more involved (I don't see how that's a good thing), people hired that it's questionable what they're backgrounds bring positively to the table, and a coaching staff the top of which that's essentially the Carolina coaching staff from McD's days.  

IMO it's either all going to shine or it's all going to flop.  

If the latter, Allen of course will cover a multitude of sins.  

10 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Does it trouble anyone here that the new president of the Buffalo Bills is Terry Pegula?

Yes, that, A.

B, some of the seeming reasons why they brought in a few of the new people aren't inspiring either.

C, the top of our coaching staff, all the key game day decision-makers, are essentially the coaching staff from Carolina while McD was there.

Again, concerning.  

10 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

You won’t hear from Kim again unfortunately but her influence was not nearly what this board likes to pretend. Who cares that this guy got fired? Terry has the bucks, Terry makes the decisions (good or bad). Doesn’t matter who has the President title nothing is getting done with out the owner’s blessing. 

I'm not sure that anyone's apologetic towards Raccuia, rather concerned that Terry & (new) company seem to be moving closer to the football stuff.  Probably unfounded concerns, but given the Sabres definitely something to monitor. 

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

Agreed

This is going to be a very interesting season.  These management changes with Terry now more involved (I don't see how that's a good thing), people hired that it's questionable what they're backgrounds bring positively to the table, and a coaching staff the top of which that's essentially the Carolina coaching staff from McD's days.  

I have some questions about the management move.  There's a big trial that's going to occur in federal court here.  Someone's family has prior connections to at least one of the defendants in that trial.  Then there's this big construction project going on here.  That much is pure speculation on my part.  But I also think, watching the pressers, that someone forgot who the big dog was in the arrangement and may have outgrown his britches.  

On the other side of it, a recent low-level ADA who butchered the Araiza situation now is GC and on the management team.  So I don't know what to think, other than none of it gives me confidence. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Just laughing at all the conspiracies in this thread. Now seems like a perfectly logical time for Raccuia to depart - he got his biggest, most important project, the new stadium, over the finish line. Construction’s underway. He’s on to his next thing. 

can we PLEASE spell the guy’s name right? At least in the title?

Why would Terry specifically say that his departure was to improve the management team then?  Seems odd phrasing given what you said.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure that anyone's apologetic towards Raccuia, rather concerned that Terry & (new) company seem to be moving closer to the football stuff.  Probably unfounded concerns, but given the Sabres definitely something to monitor. 

On the plus side the Sabres look like much brighter days are ahead starting this season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I have some questions about the management move.  There's a big trial that's going to occur in federal court here.  Someone's family has prior connections to at least one of the defendants in that trial.  Then there's this big construction project going on here.  That much is pure speculation on my part.  But I also think, watching the pressers, that someone forgot who the big dog was in the arrangement and may have outgrown his britches.  

On the other side of it, a recent low-level ADA who butchered the Araiza situation now is GC and on the management team.  So I don't know what to think, other than none of it gives me confidence. 

Yeah, like I said, seems as if they hired several people, none of which I look at the reasons started as to why they were hired inspiring anything positive.  

Thanks for the insights.  What's the trial about?  

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Why would Terry specifically say that his departure was to improve the management team then?  Seems odd phrasing given what you said.  

I’m not speculating on Terry’s reasoning at all, and I’m not going to based on one phrase in a press statement. I was just commenting on the timing alone - it doesn’t seem that outlandish or suspicious to me.

I’m sure the beat reporters and journalists will dig up something to shed light on the exact why.

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

On the plus side the Sabres look like much brighter days are ahead starting this season.

Looks can be deceiving.  That haven't made the playoffs on Terry's ownership watch except in his first season on residual from that season.  It's easily been the darkest era of Sabres franchise history.  

But maybe.  I'm not willing to let the people involved there get closer to the Bills.  

Looks can be deceiving.  That haven't made the playoffs on Terry's ownership watch except in his first season on residual from that season.  It's easily been the darkest era of Sabres franchise history.  

But maybe.  I'm not willing to let the people involved there get closer to the Bills.  

well prepare to be disappointed because the COO from over on that side might be taking that role for the Bills too.

4 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I’m not speculating on Terry’s reasoning at all, and I’m not going to based on one phrase in a press statement.  

OK

At the same time, it was anything but complimentary phrasing, to ignore that also makes little sense.  

i.e.  It was hardly a ceremonious positive send-off.  

Either way, to have Terry now significantly closer to the football decisions, when he himself has more or less stated a lack of qualifications (or interest) for doing so, is hardly inspiring.  

Spin it contrarily off you wish.  

• Agree 2

I agree ownership should never get involved in the day-to-day operations. As long as Beane and McDermott are making the football related decisions then that is all that matters. The Sabres darkest era is coming to an end. 42-33-7 for 91 points last season. They have one of the best forward groups in the league led by Tage Thompson. There will be playoff hockey next spring in WNY.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

well prepare to be disappointed because the COO from over on that side might be taking that role for the Bills too.

Hence my statements.  

It is what it is.  Again, I and obviously some others don't find it to be inspiring.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

OK

At the same time, it was anything but complimentary phrasing, to ignore that also makes little sense.  

Either way, to have Terry now significantly closer to the football decisions, when he himself has more or less stated a lack of qualifications (or interest) for doing so, is hardly inspiring.  

No I’m not disagreeing with you or anyone else on the phrasing - it certainly wasn’t “warm.” 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I agree ownership should never get involved in the day-to-day operations. As long as Beane and McDermott are making the football related decisions then that is all that matters. The Sabres darkest era is coming to an end. 42-33-7 for 91 points last season. They have one of the best forward groups in the league led by Tage Thompson. There will be playoff hockey next spring in WNY.

As with everything, time will tell.  I don't follow the Sabres closely enough to see the details, but I recall plenty of talk saying they same thing over the past decade.  Esp. when they drafted Eichel.  

I don't think that Raccuia had any impact on the Bills, let's hope that Terry & Co. keep their hands off.  

As with everything, time will tell.  I don't follow the Sabres closely enough to see the details, but I recall plenty of talk saying they same thing over the past decade.  Esp. when they drafted Eichel.  

I don't think that Raccuia had any impact on the Bills, let's hope that Terry & Co. keep their hands off.  

With the Sabres they have sucked over the past decade or so. Nobody would argue that. This latest rebuild however is actually working. The Sabres are a winning team now and missed the playoffs by only one-point last year. Their core group is young. Most are under 25 so they figure to only get better.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

OK

RR had nothing to do with football decisions, so I don't think Terry is any closer. And besides, he owns the team so he's as close as he wants to be.

My concern isn't so much meddling in personnel decisions as much as how this reflects on PSE. "Revolving door" organizations tend to be dysfunctional. I had hope that PSE was entering an era of stability, with all three teams doing well, a new stadium going up and, hopefully, arena renovations on the horizon. Getting rid of a guy who was pretty much the face of PSE with the media out of the blue troubles me. I hope Terry had legitimate reason to do it and was not acting rash.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, like I said, seems as if they hired several people, none of which I look at the reasons started as to why they were hired inspiring anything positive.  

Thanks for the insights.  What's the trial about?  

Google Peter Gerace.  It’s a saga.  The thumbnail is that it’s a mob trial involving a(n allegedly) crooked DEA agent who protected his buddy (Gerace, allegedly of LCN) so that the buddy could move product and drug up young women for trafficking purposes at the buddy’s strip joint.  The buddy apparently also had a local judge effectively on payroll.  That judge dealt with some minor legal stuff involving the buddy’s ex and, when the story broke, the judge tried to kill himself by laying down in front of a train.  That didn’t work, and the judge eventually pleaded guilty by suicide following an FBI raid of his home.  It’s explosive stuff, and the scuttlebutt in the legal community is that there are other high-profile patrons of that establishment whose identities will be revealed at trial.  

The connection here is that the subject of this thread may be related (I’m not sure about this point) to a local mob rat from the 1980s of the same name.  

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

RR had nothing to do with football decisions, so I don't think Terry is any closer. And besides, he owns the team so he's as close as he wants to be.

My concern isn't so much meddling in personnel decisions as much as how this reflects on PSE. "Revolving door" organizations tend to be dysfunctional. I had hope that PSE was entering an era of stability, with all three teams doing well, a new stadium going up and, hopefully, arena renovations on the horizon. Getting rid of a guy who was pretty much the face of PSE with the media out of the blue troubles me. I hope Terry had legitimate reason to do it and was not acting rash.

With respect to the stability point, I could never believe that they put a slippery character in charge of an NFL franchise.   Better to address the issue too late than not at all. 

8 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

With respect to the stability point, I could never believe that they put a slippery character in charge of an NFL franchise.   Better to address the issue too late than not at all. 

Did I miss something. When did RR become slippery?

58 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Google Peter Gerace.  It’s a saga.  The thumbnail is that it’s a mob trial involving a(n allegedly) crooked DEA agent who protected his buddy (Gerace, allegedly of LCN) so that the buddy could move product and drug up young women for trafficking purposes at the buddy’s strip joint.  The buddy apparently also had a local judge effectively on payroll.  That judge dealt with some minor legal stuff involving the buddy’s ex and, when the story broke, the judge tried to kill himself by laying down in front of a train.  That didn’t work, and the judge eventually pleaded guilty by suicide following an FBI raid of his home.  It’s explosive stuff, and the scuttlebutt in the legal community is that there are other high-profile patrons of that establishment whose identities will be revealed at trial.  

The connection here is that the subject of this thread may be related (I’m not sure about this point) to a local mob rat from the 1980s of the same name.  

Yikes!  

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

…and this was preceded by very little employee turnover in business ventures prior to becoming a sports owner.  Surprising, and it makes you wonder why the PSE turnover?

11 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Heard he’s bringing back Jeff Littman to handle player contracts …  ack to the good ole days of “cash to the cap” 

Are you joking?

9 hours ago, Gregg said:

Not really. As it pertains to football moves like FA, draft, shaping the roster, coaching hires/fires it's McBeane calling the shots. 

That's good to hear

9 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Agreed

Yes, that, A.

B, some of the seeming reasons why they brought in a few of the new people aren't inspiring either.

C, the top of our coaching staff, all the key game day decision-makers, are essentially the coaching staff from Carolina while McD was there.

Again, concerning.  

Not to criticize, but could you explain why this is concerning? 

9 hours ago, Gregg said:

With the Sabres they have sucked over the past decade or so. Nobody would argue that. This latest rebuild however is actually working. The Sabres are a winning team now and missed the playoffs by only one-point last year. Their core group is young. Most are under 25 so they figure to only get better.

In the final weeks of the regular season, they lost a game to Columbus! Columbus! If they won that game as they should have it would have been playoffs.

9 hours ago, Gregg said:

30 minutes ago, boater said:

In the final weeks of the regular season, they lost a game to Columbus! Columbus! If they won that game as they should have it would have been playoffs.

12 years to get to 2 games over .500

• Thank you (+1) 1

For those worried about pegulas and building things especially comparing it to the sabres, also compare it to the harbor center and how far youth hockey/development of hockey there has come

Not just the coaches that have been there (kevyn Adams now sabres gm, Mike peca started his coaching career there now with the new York rangers amongst others) players and early draft picks are just starting to pick up (had a first rounder and a third rounder this last draft)

So maybe there is a bunch of turn over in high rank positions but everything the pegulas do seems very calculated and thought out. Not always the right moves but confident they have a plan 

• Vomit 1

6 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Are you joking?

That's good to hear

Not to criticize, but could you explain why this is concerning? 

Perspective I suppose.

Like I said, it's going to be an interesting season.  If you don't think those things are of concern, then you won't agree. 

In short, lack of proven anything relevant across the board.  

9 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Perspective I suppose.

Like I said, it's going to be an interesting season.  If you don't think those things are of concern, then you won't agree. 

The guy had nothing to do with anything on the field.  As long as that's not changing, and it's not, the business side will sort itself out.

Edited by Doc
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Perspective I suppose.

I am concerned.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

I am concerned.

I am as well.  

I'm not big on, to start, a top of the coaching staff, aka all the key positions, that used to coach at Carolina, I mean it's literally like we transplanted the coaching staff from McD's time there to here, now.  That's concerning since they did nothing there.  

Pegula's statements about the recent moves specifically address the "business side," per his own statements.  To me that means it's not a focus on the football side.  If those people start getting involved in football decisions, or influencing them, then I will be more concerned about that as well.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1