An 8-year-old Bills fan with a heart defect needs our help

JohnNord

Over the past few years I’ve been following the story of Eddie Mayerick on Twitter.

Long story short, his dad Nick grew up in IL.  He became a Bills fans after some players treated him so kindly during a game he attended in Indy.  He passed down his fandom to his son Eddie.

Eddie was born with a heart defect and other medical problems.  He has a breathing tube and feeding tube and it appears he’s spent a good portion of his life in hospitals.  

Over the past few years, Nick has shared his story on Twitter.  Despite the medical challenges, Eddie and Nick have remained ridiculously optimistic.  Eddie especially has an infectious smile and personality that makes him impossible not to love.  You could see that the was medically fragile but that never got him down.  

Recently it appears his condition has take a turn for the worse and that he is fighting for his life in the hospital.  While his dad is staying positive, it doesn’t look good. 

If you believe in prayers, positive thoughts, good videos, or whatever else - Eddie could use them right about now.

Also, some members of Bills Mafia have started a donation/raffle with 100% of the money going to the Mayerik family.  

Just wanted to pass this along in case anyone is interested in helping out the family either through prayers or monetarily.

His dad’s account is below:

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 4

My wife’s family has been involved with St Jude Children’s Hospital since the beginning. Nothing touches your heart more than a child with an illness like that. And it can be so painful and devastating for the family as well. Prayers sent for Eddie AND his family. 

Just to be clear, neither Nick or Eddie are Nigerian Princes, correct? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I admire this kids guts to stay so positive while battling for his very life. Sending love positive vibes and my sincere prayers for Eddie,

his familly, support community and medical staff in All areas of need. 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Augie said:

My wife’s family has been involved with St Jude Children’s Hospital since the beginning. Nothing touches your heart more than a child with an illness like that. And it can be so painful and devastating for the family as well. Prayers sent for Eddie AND his family. 

Just to be clear, neither Nick or Eddie are Nigerian Princes, correct? 

100% no

6 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Saw twitter videos of this kid every once and a while the last few seasons, real bright energetic cheerful personality, really ***** sucks.

It’s strange how much you can be impacted by someone you’ve never met.  I just feel gutted for Eddie.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

We can all learn a lot from from the children in cases like this there are a lot of us that think we have it so bad & little guys like Eddie just exudes the positive in every thing he did all gods strength to the family in their time of healing & I feel Eddie is telling every one in heaven how he feels about the Bills !! 

RIP little man & thanks for your inspiration ... 🙌

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Of course awful, awful, awful for that poor little buddy.  I can’t even imagine.  I saw his dad post frequently on Twitter and he was always in the hospital with Eddie.  Never saw any other family members including Eddie’s mother.  Was dad all alone in this?  Just wondering…

I’ve wondered that too.  I read that Nick was identified as a “single father.”  I’m guessing he’s not together with Eddie‘s mom and that she doesn’t want to be on camera?  

As far as family visits, based on how many videos were films at the hospital, I get the impression he was there so often that it sadly was not an uncommon situation.  I believe they might be out of town as well.  

This is just my speculation based on following his dad’s Twitter and a few articles.

18 minutes ago, T master said:

We can all learn a lot from from the children in cases like this there are a lot of us that think we have it so bad & little guys like Eddie just exudes the positive in every thing he did all gods strength to the family in their time of healing & I feel Eddie is telling every one in heaven how he feels about the Bills !! 

RIP little man & thanks for your inspiration ... 🙌

His bravery was just out of this f’n world.  Never let his diagnosis get him down and you could see him fight the whole way through 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sent them some money last night and immediately started getting blown up by spammers asking for money.  It’s amazing how scammers never miss a trick.  (Not these people but those who stalk donor lists.)

• Like (+1) 1

I also had been following Eddie and Nick on Twitter. Eddie was so inspiring. As a father of two boys myself, I was heartbroken when I saw Nick’s tweet announcing that Eddie had passed away. This really has effected me. Eddie was a very special little boy who had a huge impact on so many people in such a short life. 

I would love for the Bills to play one of the videos of Eddie yelling “GO BILLS” during or before a game. It would really pump up the crowd and be a nice tribute to an amazing young boy. 

May Eddie’s memory be eternal. 

For those of you who follow the EPL, Eddie effected me in much the same way Bradley Lowery did. 

Bradley Lowery

Edited by Peter
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I am ABSOLUTELY stunned.

On the 9th of July in 2007, I had a son who was born with the exact same condition and prognosis.  So unfortunately,  the little guy passed away on us in 2008.  Fast forward to a few minutes ago, I was wondering and struggling with how I can best approach the 9th of July (His Birthday - this coming Sunday) as I do every year; he would have been age 16.  
I then settle down for the evening and read what has transpired with Eddie, (The first I have heard of this entire matter).  The irony for me is incredible right now.  
May these children (My son Rolf, Eddie, and so many others like them) have the peace they deserve in the after life.  
For those of you who are parents, with healthy children, when you’re struggling with anything else (Finances, relationships, work, etc.- or a Bills loss, LOL) remember to cherish your children’s health and well being, it’s truly a gift a parent may not realize  - until you don’t have it anymore.  
Sending lots of love to those families who are struggling with similar circumstances.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On 7/7/2023 at 8:22 PM, Billl said:

Sent them some money last night and immediately started getting blown up by spammers asking for money.  It’s amazing how scammers never miss a trick.  (Not these people but those who stalk donor lists.)

first off, good on you for donating to this family who definitely needs it. Second off, and I hate to deflect from the real story of this little guy losing his life way too early, but some of that stuff you’re experiencing is by design, not accident. And while many of those who helped raise money for this family deserve credit, keep your collective eyes out for the ones doing it to improve their profile/visibility. I have an example, an easy one since the OP linked it as well (from one of the usual sources):

Count how many times this person uses the word “I” in her statement about this unfortunate boy who lost his life to illness. Go ahead. It’s a lot. Don’t support these pseudoinfluencers. Don’t support “Bills Mafia” as a brand (not a fanbase) at all if you can.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.