Chris Brown to start season as interim play by play guy

Matt_In_NH

I hope Murph is getting back to full health but just as little of what i heard from Browny losing his mind when the Bills would score i think his energy is of the charts & will be a welcome feel of those that listen to the game in any audio application .

10 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

I hated Dunleavy when early on. I'll admit, he's gotten better with more air time. RJ and Van Miller were the staples. Both have/had very unique speaking styles that were unmistakable.  I would love to have guys like that again. Something that stands out. Haven't heard enough of Chris Brown PBP, but Dunleavy and Murphy both have a rather vanilla style of speaking. Not talking voice inflexion as Murphy could go over the top sometimes. Just the sound of their voices. 

You forgot the three bad years with Al Meltzer.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Mike Schopp as PBP!  Who’s with me? 😂😂😂

By the 2nd quarter the radio broadcast would devolve into a “Deli Meat draft” where he is arguing the merits of Turkey over Roast Beef.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Brown does his homework and seems to be knowledgeable of the subject matter. 
That said, my impression of him is he’s a decent enough guy, but basically a jock-sniffing geek. 
He is to professional sports what Jack Black and Johnny Depp are to rock guitar. A wannabe. 
I’m not ever going to listen to the broadcast anyway, so I don’t much care. But hearing some of the audio highlights from him last year, it sounded like he was affecting Rick Jeanerette, as if that would sound good to the listeners. It seemed very contrived. 
Wish him well. 

Edited by SoMAn

11 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Having lived in multiple NFL markets, I have to say that we have had it pretty good in Buffalo.  Whether it was Van Miller for the Bills or Ted Darling with the Sabres, I had no complaints.  A good PBP guy makes everything about the game and not about him.  A lot of the guys really struggle with that.

Keyword in there is Had....we were absolutely spoiled in Buffalo with Van Miller, Ted Darling, Rick Jeanneret but those days are over sadly 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/6/2023 at 10:34 AM, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Ugh.

Can we please, PLEASE have a competent PBP guy and one with the energy other teams have?

Personally, I love Murph.

Chris Brown has been horrific for a decade. You can’t find a more “company man” persona in the building. His worst quality is always making the obvious point and then injecting as much homer spin as possible.

I’ve been hoping for his exit for years. It’s the reason I pick literally any Bills podcast over One Bills Live.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 7/6/2023 at 10:40 AM, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

I've been spoiled by all the years of Van Miller.  He was one of the all time greats, if not the best ever.  I hope they can find an exceptional play by play guy again someday.

One of the all time greats, magic voice

5 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Chris Brown has been horrific for a decade. You can’t find a more “company man” persona in the building. His worst quality is always making the obvious point and then injecting as much homer spin as possible.

I’ve been hoping for his exit for years. It’s the reason I pick literally any Bills podcast over One Bills Live.

Brown works for the Bills.  What do you expect?  Not you, I mean everyone, and I manage several states so have heard a number of PBP amd they are local icons.  They get paid local $.  There no point in complaining as we’re getting him if Murph doesn’t make a full recovery, and if he’s this far out from a stroke, he’s probably only going to be able to do spot interviews on WGR.  I wish the best for him in his recovery.

For me Brown is fine, and yes he gets animated at times, but you should hear Gene Deckerhoff down here in Tampa.  Gene also calls FSU games and yep he gets nuts at times.

For the comments on Papa, what do you expect?  It’s NYC. A10 mil potential audience.

On 7/8/2023 at 8:46 PM, machine gun kelly said:

Brown works for the Bills.  What do you expect?  Not you, I mean everyone, and I manage several states so have heard a number of PBP amd they are local icons.  They get paid local $.  There no point in complaining as we’re getting him if Murph doesn’t make a full recovery, and if he’s this far out from a stroke, he’s probably only going to be able to do spot interviews on WGR.  I wish the best for him in his recovery.

For me Brown is fine, and yes he gets animated at times, but you should hear Gene Deckerhoff down here in Tampa.  Gene also calls FSU games and yep he gets nuts at times.

For the comments on Papa, what do you expect?  It’s NYC. A10 mil potential audience.

Are you talking Greg Papa? If so, you're about 3000 miles off. He's out in San Francisco. 

On 7/6/2023 at 3:55 PM, HardyBoy said:

I lived in south Florida for eight years...the dolphins radio broadcast is so embarrassingly bad...so so so bad

The first 27 seconds of this is basically what listening to an entire game is like...and they basically never tell you the score, where the ball is or how much time is left...I'd been in the car listening to them for what felt like almost 5-10 minutes before you'd get a score or time update...just brutal!

what exactly happened  I was wondering till well after the play ended

I am sorry

No one should have to suffer that

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

what exactly happened  I was wondering till well after the play ended

I am sorry

No one should have to suffer that

When the Dan LeBatard show was local only (before the went to ESPN) they would absolutely destroy them every now and then, and it's well deserved... I'm pretty sure they would do that when they were still on the same radio station, but when the dolphins broadcast switched to a different station they would say it like it is!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/8/2023 at 2:46 PM, Rigotz said:

I think Murphy is great as well, good voice for radio, unlike Brown who's just OK on One Bills Live, but not more. If you started with Van Miller, no one else measures up. Same with Jeanneret. Same with actors replacing a role.

• Disagree 1

I don't know who it is but I do know this. We can do much better than Brown. That dog should not fly. B level talent and we are Nationwide right now.

That said I'm not surprised in the least to reward Brown for filling in last year if they expect Murphy back this year. The fact he was at OTA's makes me think he will be back. We should be looking for A grade talent though. Like right now!

13 hours ago, GerstAusGosheim said:

The Bills always make Chris want to SHOUT.

Small market team gets small market media talent.

Yep.  Folks in that industry tend to be ambitious and move around the country in order to move up the ladder; they are very career oriented on avg.

Buffalo is not a destination; it is a departure town.

That's kind of true for all industries, not just communications.

Just the way it is.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.