How do you feel about the Bills going into the 2023 season vs going into 2022?

billsfan89

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm curious what you base the much better team part on.  I keep reading this from other posters.

I don't see dramatic improvements to this team this offseason at all.

You might argue we don't need improvements, but that's a different issue entirely.

The rest of my post, after what you quoted, lays out where I feel we're better than last year.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I'm curious what you base the much better team part on.  I keep reading this from other posters.

You might argue we don't need improvements, but that's a different issue entirely.

Agreed. It seems fans are still trying to convince themselves additions like McGovern, Harris, Sherfield, Harty, Ford, etc. are impactful. The roster is deeper at certain positions and hopefully a couple rookies can contribute, but overall it feels much the same as last season. Perhaps they get lucky with health issues to counteract the tougher schedule/competition.   

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Upgrading our Guards is definitely an upgrade.  We should have much more success with a power run up the middle, especially with Harris.  Also, when you have good guards, that takes some pressure off their neighboring center and Tackles. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I feel a little bit worse this year even though it's pretty easy to convince myself that the roster improved this offseason. 

Going into last offseason, with how Josh played against the Patriots and Chiefs in the playoffs, it felt like we could only lose to Mahomes or maybe Burrow in a playoff game. 

Going into this offseason I've been reminded that this team will pull a disappearing act for at least 1 game per season under McD, and if it happens in a playoff game again we're obviously toast. 

21 minutes ago, Airseven said:

QB - same old rollercoaster ride

RB - better

WR - shuffling deck chairs

TE - better

OL - shuffling deck chairs

DE - worse

DT - better

LB - worse

CB - same old rollercoaster ride

S - worse 

ST - meh

Coaching - meh

Overall - worse (mostly due to how much AFC peers are improving around them)

What exactly did you need to see in order to believe the OL has been improved?  McGovern is an above average pass blocker / below average run blocker.  Is that not better than what we had in Saffold?  We drafted one of, if not "the" top OG in the Draft.  That's a step up from "shuffling deck chairs".  That's potentially 2/5th's of our OL being addressed by a mid-tier FA and top tier draft prospect.

DE "worse" ... ok, explain.  Von, Floyd, Rousseau & co. is worse than Von, Rosseau & co.?  Alright. 

S "worse" ... ok, explain.  Hyde/Poyer/Rapp is worse than Poyer and backups?  Alright. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Success said:

The team we have going into 2023 is significantly better than last year's team, imo.

I think for the 1st time in the JA era, we'll have an o-line that doesn't have a weak link or 2.  Also for the 1st time, we'll have an actual running game - that doesn't involve Allen.  Harris is going to change the dynamic of this offense.

We also have an improved pass rush, imo, and will be tougher & more physical overall.

Tougher schedule this year (on paper) - but I love this team heading into the season.  I feel as optimistic as I ever have.

Major weakness is still there and not going to change, but I'll say it:  McBeane are the primary issue.  Why?  Because their vision of NFL football with a franchise QB has not changed much since Josh elevated his play.  

McD still loves his defense too much for a HC originating from that side of the ball.  He can't help himself to add another DLineman that supports his demand for an ultra deep DL.  Every year they have to add another 2-3 UFAs there at rates above market value.  They can spend another 10M+ on Floyd, Ford, Phillips, but shudder the thought of adding a better WR2.  It's been rare the offense was a priority in UFA when relatively proven veterans were available.       

And their drafts haven't been stellar either.   Too many 1st-3rd round picks that have been pedestrian or underwhelming which forces them to go UFA shopping which impacts their cap. 

Lot of people here always talking individual position improvement, but I'm waiting for the HC and GM to start getting better in off-season decisions.    

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think we are overhyping the improvements made at OL and WR. 

OL - I am hopeful McG can be an upgrade over Saffold. But to call it a sure thing is naive. The rest of the line is the same. I think much of the hope will be on Spencer Brown playing better, he was worse than Saffold last year. If Edwards or Torrence beat out Bates is that a major or minor upgrade? Bates is already a serviceable G. Torrence could be the long-term answer though. We are splitting hairs if we are debating the depth. The most important depth is at C and we still are in trouble if Morse goes down.

WR - I don't buy the Harty and Sherfield hype. Both guys have been in the league four years and done nothing. Yet we call them upgrades over Crowder and McK who had accomplished a lot more. The real story here will be G Davis (assuming we dont get Hopkins) and how he plays this year. If he is bad it does not matter much what Harty and Sherfield do.

I also think we are underestimating the loss of Edmunds. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

It depends on how you define better. We lead the NFL in FPI last year and went 13-3, but the later part of the season was ugly. Sometimes, having an episode like Bills went through can cause you to deal with problems you might otherwise not have. I think they've done that and without repeating what others have said I can imagine an outcome where we win the whole thing. They might not be 13-3 again, but without expectations of being the favorites they have a chance!

20 hours ago, arcane said:

The general vibe in my mind is much darker and more malicious right now compared to last summer. This is mostly due to places like here because when I snap out of it i see a better team, and wonder why I was as high on them last year as I was given the state of the weapons

Speaking for myself, last pre-season I pretty much drank the Kool-Aid that Saffold would return to the form he had with the Rams and that Aaron Kromer would weld together a workable OL that could both run and pass protect.  I had a second glass around the notion that Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie were both ready to Take That Step and that Shakir would contribute as a 5th round rookie from a small program.

In hindsight, I feel a bit foolish, but we did win 13 reg season games and end as the #2 offense in football, so not too foolish.

This season, I feel that Kromer legitimately has more to work with on OL including Conner McGovern and a top OG from the draft.  Still a bit concerned about OT, especially RT, though I think if Edwards is fully recovered from his concussion he may compete there.  Also interested by Brandon Shell.

I feel that Trent Sherfield is solid and Harty is that low risk, high reward guy.  Overall I feel the talent level is potentially higher on offense, it just remains to see how Allen and the coaches can meld it together.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Speaking for myself, last pre-season I pretty much drank the Kool-Aid that Saffold would return to the form he had with the Rams and that Aaron Kromer would weld together a workable OL that could both run and pass protect.  I had a second glass around the notion that Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie were both ready to Take That Step and that Shakir would contribute as a 5th round rookie from a small program.

In hindsight, I feel a bit foolish, but we did win 13 reg season games and end as the #2 offense in football, so not too foolish.

This season, I feel that Kromer legitimately has more to work with on OL including Conner McGovern and a top OG from the draft.  Still a bit concerned about OT, especially RT, though I think if Edwards is fully recovered from his concussion he may compete there.  Also interested by Brandon Shell.

I feel that Trent Sherfield is solid and Harty is that low risk, high reward guy.  Overall I feel the talent level is potentially higher on offense, it just remains to see how Allen and the coaches can meld it together.

As you know I was never as sold on what they did on offense last offseason. But McGovern, Edwards, Torrence, Harty, Sherfield and of course Kincaid is a more encouraging offseason for my money. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

What exactly did you need to see in order to believe the OL has been improved?  McGovern is an above average pass blocker / below average run blocker.  Is that not better than what we had in Saffold?  We drafted one of, if not "the" top OG in the Draft.  That's a step up from "shuffling deck chairs".  That's potentially 2/5th's of our OL being addressed by a mid-tier FA and top tier draft prospect.

DE "worse" ... ok, explain.  Von, Floyd, Rousseau & co. is worse than Von, Rosseau & co.?  Alright. 

S "worse" ... ok, explain.  Hyde/Poyer/Rapp is worse than Poyer and backups?  Alright. 

The thread asks to compare feelings going into '22 vs. '23.

McGovern may prove to be an upgrade over Saffold, but that isn't saying much. I don't consider him a viable starter. Very pleased with the Torrence pick, but he's a rook and so sets expectations. The same tackle group is hard to fathom.

If Floyd was signed to replace Epenesa then great. But he was signed to replace Miller at least for the short-term. I don't expect Miller to have an impact until late season - if at all.

Hyde and Poyer coming off significant injuries and another year older is obviously a worse scenario than a year ago (Poyer didn't get much interest in FA). Rapp - a backup - was my favorite signing of the off-season.  

Edited by Airseven

Cautiously optimistic. O better, D might be statistically worse, but in the long run more aggressive and better under McDermott. Hoping Josh better, finally becomes patient. Team is no longer the media darling, if anything they are now looked at as chokers. They will play all year with Boulder on their shoulder. Barring injuries, I believe they have a good chance of winning it all 

19 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The wr room was definitely upgraded overall. I'm still not sold on RT and Gabe.

I really thought Saffold had 1 to 2 years left. 

I am concerned about play design on the offensive side of the ball and our ability to adjust when defensive coordinators take away what we do best.  My hope is with an offense with less free lancing and more designated routes, it helps us from being predictable. 

The IOL honestly should be improved with replacing the walking stiffs we have had in there

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

Major weakness is still there and not going to change, but I'll say it:  McBeane are the primary issue.  Why?  Because their vision of NFL football with a franchise QB has not changed much since Josh elevated his play.  

McD still loves his defense too much for a HC originating from that side of the ball.  He can't help himself to add another DLineman that supports his demand for an ultra deep DL.  Every year they have to add another 2-3 UFAs there at rates above market value.  They can spend another 10M+ on Floyd, Ford, Phillips, but shudder the thought of adding a better WR2.  It's been rare the offense was a priority in UFA when relatively proven veterans were available.       

And their drafts haven't been stellar either.   Too many 1st-3rd round picks that have been pedestrian or underwhelming which forces them to go UFA shopping which impacts their cap. 

Lot of people here always talking individual position improvement, but I'm waiting for the HC and GM to start getting better in off-season decisions.    

This 100 percent. 

A few of my mafia brothers and sisters mention the tougher schedule.

I don't really care about that.  As long as the Bills stay reasonably healthy, they'll be AFCE champs once again.  

And, if healthy, they have a chance to make a run in the playoffs.  

Though with 31 other teams - maybe a dozen of which are legitimately good - it's foolish to predict, or demand, a SB appearance. 

But I probably feel better about the Bills this offseason than I have since the early 90s.  

As always, the wild card is how healthy a team can remain through a ridiculously long season. 
On paper, the team should be better. Another year of experience for Josh and Dorsey. Another year for last year’s promising rookies. 
I believe the LB play will be improved. Sorry, but Edmunds was not I instinctive and was easily pushed around. He made some progress over 2021, but more often than not he was Mr. Johnny Come Lately or second man in stopping ball carriers. For all the praise he received in passing situations, I saw him as a liability.

But, as the Bills have improved, so has the other teams in the division. I believe New England is being unfairly overlooked. I don’t see them winning the division, but they will be spoilers. Jones led them to the playoffs as a rookie, and they still have a HOF head coach. 
Hopefully, the Bills will win most of their division games and let the other three beat up on each other. 
If they stay healthy and focused, they have what it takes to win it all. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.