Bills signing OT Brandon Shell from miami

dreadlox

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Doyle played pretty well in that "6th OL/Tackle eligible" role 2 years ago and up until he was hurt last year. That's an actual role on this offense. It's been helpful when the Bills do run at times to have that spot. Kincaid sure isn't going to be doing much short yardage inline blocking.

That's when they carried only two TEs and one of them was Sweeney.  They probably carry three TE's this year.  Assuming Bates doesn't start (Two of these three McGovern, Edwards, and Torrence will be the OG starters) he will be the extra OT in the heavy formation.  He did that in the past as well.  Bates is the ultimate utility guy who can play all 5 spots in a pinch and will dress every game. 

Doyle was a bad draft pick and he probably wouldn't even make the team this year even if he hadn't gotten hurt. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Not worried about MLB because the worst case scenario is AJ Klein starts and they have to match personnel against 3wr+ sets with Taylor Rapp as a 3rd safety.

We have the personnel to play 1 LB and 3 safeties. 

In a perfect world a young LB steps up.

The nice thing is that with our offensive upgrades we should easily still remain one of the top scoring teams so that gives our defense a little edge as they don't have to pitch shutouts just get enough stops to have their point production to lag behind what the Bills generate.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

That's when they carried only two TEs and one of them was Sweeney.  They probably carry three TE's this year.  Assuming Bates doesn't start (Two of these three McGovern, Edwards, and Torrence will be the OG starters) he will be the extra OT in the heavy formation.  He did that in the past as well.  Bates is the ultimate utility guy who can play all 5 spots in a pinch and will dress every game. 

Doyle was a bad draft pick and he probably wouldn't even make the team this year even if he hadn't gotten hurt. 

If you remember back before Bates started....McD was extremely hesitant to give him ANY snaps due to he versatility. Like he was "break glass only in emergency" type. I think if he doesn't end up starting he will be primary backup for C and McD will not want to risk it. 

We MAY carry 3 TE. Morris or one of the other guys will have to earn that spot. Also wouldn't shock to see TE3 inactive on game day. Fair to wonder if they decide to keep 1 less WR this year due to Kincaid's flexibility. Basing this year's roster number off past numbers isn't likely to even out...lots of changing parts in the bottom of the roster. Should be interesting.

Should be some good competition at right offensive tackle.  The knock on Shell is that he's not been able to play a full season for a while.  I think he's pretty much limited to playing right tackle, which is a handicap if he's competing for a backup job.  Lack of versatility is a huge disadvantage.   Of course, Tommy Doyle lost his second season to a major injury.  If Tommy Doyle has not been affected long term by his injury, I would guess he has the inside track in any competition because he's young and on a rookie deal.  That depends on him making a pretty leap in development.  Quessenberry and Shell by comparison represent known quantities.  They are decent, but not great or even real good players.  Spencer Brown is probably as big an unknown as Doyle.  He wasn't very good last season, but Beane and the Bills believe it was due to the fact that he lost an off season to training and condition due to an injury suffered in 2021.  Maybe he suffered lingering effects from the injury as well.   I'm really hoping the Bills are right on Brown.  I would much rather the competition involving Doyle, Quessenberry and Shell be for the backup role. 

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

If you remember back before Bates started....McD was extremely hesitant to give him ANY snaps due to he versatility. Like he was "break glass only in emergency" type. I think if he doesn't end up starting he will be primary backup for C and McD will not want to risk it. 

We MAY carry 3 TE. Morris or one of the other guys will have to earn that spot. Also wouldn't shock to see TE3 inactive on game day. Fair to wonder if they decide to keep 1 less WR this year due to Kincaid's flexibility. Basing this year's roster number off past numbers isn't likely to even out...lots of changing parts in the bottom of the roster. Should be interesting.

It will be interesting to see how they construct the final 53.  If Kincaid can block even a little, they might go with two TE's.  But I'm guessing they go with three because Kincaid is just a tall slot WR in this offense.  And you are correct Bates played the extra OT when Feliciano was the back-up C.  Regardless I still don't see Doyle making the roster.  

I like what Beane the wizard is doing. He is making sure they get a great OL with all these signings. May the best 5 be the starting 5. I don't care who it is, just kick ass 🤙🏼

Go Bills!!

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Have to believe that Tommy Doyle is kinda on the hot seat then as training camp starts in about 6 weeks or so and Shell didn’t do too bad as Miamis starter last year. 

Their starting QB was diagnosed with two documented concussions !

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It will be interesting to see how they construct the final 53.  If Kincaid can block even a little, they might go with two TE's.  But I'm guessing they go with three because Kincaid is just a tall slot WR in this offense.  And you are correct Bates played the extra OT when Feliciano was the back-up C.  Regardless I still don't see Doyle making the roster.  

True, but our current third tide end is exactly what Kincaid is. Hopefully a lesser version of Kincaid.

If they go with three tight ends, I don’t think he’s the guy

Solid depth signing and further insurance should Brown falter or get injured. We generally keep 9 OL on the 53 and I think this move makes things pretty clear what it's going to look like -

OT:

Dion Dawkins

Spencer Brown

Brandon Shell

David Quessenberry

IOL:

Mitch Morse

Connor McGovern

O'Cyrus Torrence

Ryan Bates

David Edwards

Tommy Doyle tore his ACL and played an entire game on it. He will start the year on PUP. If not put on the IR entirely. I think they'll look to get Ike Boettger and Nick Broeker back on the Practice Squad. And at least 1 OT between Richard Gouraige, Alec Anderson, and Ryan Van Denmark.

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JDHillFan said:

Horrible pick for a 5th rounder! 🤦‍♂️ 

Yeah he can do a cone drill !  Too bad blocking isn’t part of the score. 12 out of 1143 over 34 years and he still was considered a reach in the fifth round. Must be a reason. Watching him play do you think he is elite In explosion or agility? 
Hey if he earns a roster spot that’s great. He is cheap labor. Can’t wait for training camp

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.