Levi Wallce buried on depth chart; if he's cut...?

boyst

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is probably the highest assessment of Levi I've ever seen! :thumbsup:

And wouldnt you say that if he came in and competed and COULD take playing time away from them, then it would be better to have him around since he would therefore be an upgrade?

Elam and Benford are second year DBs who both saw limited playing time last year for varying reasons.  Elam, it seems, was still getting acclimated to playing zone, and Benford had injury issues.

Yes, I want both of them to see as much PT as possible bc I view both of them as having much higher ceilings than Wallace who was average in Leslie Frazier’s scheme.  Let’s develop our young talent.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

When did he have his touch? 🤣

Jokes aside, because I do believe part of Levi's "struggles" were based on how our Defensive system pushes the ball to the #2 option, I'd welcome him back for depth. He's a better CB5 option than Jamarcus Ingram or Kyler McMichael. Especially once the injury bugs start biting.

White

Elam

(Johnson)

Benford

Dane Jackson

Wallace

(Lewis/Neal)

Nice looking group imo.

I agree. If cut he’d be a FA, no waivers (unless after the trade deadline). So if he’s cheap I’m absolutely in. He’d be very nice depth and the familiarity he has with our system and the coaches have with him is important. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Well, that's the thing with Levi: He's good enough -- provided he's in the right system -- to be a dependable starter.

But he's also a guy you're perpetually going to be thinking you can upgrade from. I think the Bills feel that they've done so with Elam/Benford/Jackson opposite Tre. I'm betting the Steelers went into the offseason with a goal of doing so, as well.

Wallace will have a long career in this league, but he's never going to be a star or a big money guy.

IF he gets cut -- which I doubt -- and wants to come play here for vet minimum, then great. Probably not gonna happen.

he’s a fitz of corners. He has a role in the league but you never want him to be a cornerstone piece. He could start on a handful of teams but they may prefer giving reps to a guy with upside and as you note always seeking to upgrade him. As a package player he’s good and about as solid as anyone stepping in if there’s an injury or two. 

I don’t see him coming to be a 5th DB but we could do worse at 4 if there’s an injury or position swap 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Well, that's the thing with Levi: He's good enough -- provided he's in the right system -- to be a dependable starter.

But he's also a guy you're perpetually going to be thinking you can upgrade from. I think the Bills feel that they've done so with Elam/Benford/Jackson opposite Tre. I'm betting the Steelers went into the offseason with a goal of doing so, as well.

Wallace will have a long career in this league, but he's never going to be a star or a big money guy.

IF he gets cut -- which I doubt -- and wants to come play here for vet minimum, then great. Probably not gonna happen.

You talk about him like he is just getting started in the league.  He has been around awhile and has been abused plenty.  He isn't going to get any faster and twitchier as he ages.  If you want to be a Super Bowl contender its tough having guys like Levi Wallace fill out your roster.  I hope the same is not true of Spencer Brown.  

I mean, unless we're for sure moving Christian Benford to Safety - there really isn't a place for him here anymore. 

We generally keep 6 CB's on the 53, 4 Outside and 2 Nickel, and they're pretty much set in stone right now with:

Tre'Davious White

Kaiir Elam

Taron Johnson (Nickel)

Dane Jackson

Christian Benford

Siran Neal (Nickel)

Even moving Benford to Safety creates a bit of a logjam there as we generally keep 4 there. And we have 4 already there with:

Micah Hyde

Jordan Poyer

Taylor Rapp

Damar Hamlin

Long story short, I think the Secondary as a whole is one of the deepest positions we have and is probably set. If we were to bring him in, we'd have to be keeping 11 in the secondary - as I don't see any of the players listed above being released. 

And also, he'd be depth and not getting much play time. So I'd imagine he'd want to go to other teams first, if he has any other options.

7 hours ago, boyst said:

Levi Wallce is buried behind Patrick Peterson and once projected starter Ahkello Witherspoon. Joey Porter, Jr. comes in with lots of fanfare and will be shoved down everyone's throats Tevon Diggs style, while fellow rookkie Cory Trice is also in Pittsburgh.

He is owed $5.5mm while a hit of only $1.5mm.

If he was cut should we consider bringing him back to Buffalo as a depth CB behind White, Elam, Jackson and Benford (who maybe moving to safety?).

I was never a huge Levi Wallace fan.  He would get picked on by top level qb's and could not handle that kind of pressure.

Let's wish him well, thank  him for his service, and move on.  No reason to take a step backwards.

Everywhere he goes they try to start other players and yet every team he has played for, by the end of the season, he's starting.  I would hope Elam and Benford are on track to compete for a starting spot and I hope White is back to himself and has the other starting outside spot locked up.  As we've seen though, by the end of the season you might need a guy like Wallace.  Just because of his size I'd rather have Wallace starting outside than Dane in an injury situation.

I think the Bills know how to draft corners and that we will be good at corner this year. Of course, we have to hope Tre White makes it most of the way back. Maybe he’ll be even better at some things though? I love Elam and hope the team uses him correctly this year and that he kicks ass. Benford is an excellent prospect.  Dane is a cool 4th or fifth option for sure. We drafted a corner…

We’re good at corner, imho.

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

When did he have his touch? 🤣

Jokes aside, because I do believe part of Levi's "struggles" were based on how our Defensive system pushes the ball to the #2 option, I'd welcome him back for depth. He's a better CB5 option than Jamarcus Ingram or Kyler McMichael. Especially once the injury bugs start biting.

White

Elam

(Johnson)

Benford

Dane Jackson

Wallace

(Lewis/Neal)

Nice looking group imo.

You're talking about Outside CB 5 as if it's a sure thing. Is it impossible we carry 7 CB's? No. But the magic number is usually 6 CB's on the 53, period. 4 Outside, 2 Nickel. Ingram or McMichael were never making this squad.

10 hours ago, boyst said:

Levi Wallce is buried behind Patrick Peterson and once projected starter Ahkello Witherspoon. Joey Porter, Jr. comes in with lots of fanfare and will be shoved down everyone's throats Tevon Diggs style, while fellow rookkie Cory Trice is also in Pittsburgh.

If he was cut should we consider bringing him back to Buffalo as a depth CB behind White, Elam, Jackson and Benford (who maybe moving to safety?).

Go re watch the 13 second game and then re think this post.

11 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Go re watch the 13 second game and then re think this post.

... I know a lot about that 13 seconds and more specifically about the 2 months after it to know Wallace wasn't the biggest takeaway anyone should have about this team and how that game went down. 😉

11 hours ago, boyst said:

10 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

and where exactly does it say that was 36th in the nfl? 

No he was to blame for 13 seconds!!

10 hours ago, MJS said:

They brought in vet corners in free agency as well.

Yeah… and he kept the job.  I don’t love him, but the guy continued to prove people wrong and even when he is not in this system, he’s done just fine.  He’s an acceptable starter and a great CB3.   He’s essentially a less instinctive Tre White, athletically speaking.  The only real issue is awareness when the ball is in the air, not an uncommon problem. He’s not elite, but I would gladly take him back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.