Jags @ Bills in London: Week 5 - 10/8 @ 9:30am ET

13 minutes ago, nucci said:

then pack an extra pair of underwear. This is getting ridiculous. Players will get plenty of rest and enough to eat. I don't see the huge challenges you talk about. 

That's because you dont even consider like 90% of the stuff they have to deal with and plan for. 

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder how income taxes are handled when NFL teams play abroad?

Jacksonville plays in Florida, which has no income tax.  Do they have to pay anything to the UK?

Also, do the Bills' players and staff pay NY income tax, since it is a "home" game?

Things that make me go "hmmm"...  🤔

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That's because you dont even consider like 90% of the stuff they have to deal with and plan for. 

Like what? The players don't have to worry about anything except play football. Everything is done for them. Equipment and uniforms packed, charter flight so no waiting at the gate and boarding by zones. Bus meets them upon arrival and takes them to a nice hotel. Free meals. Now the workers for the team have some extra work to do but nothing they can't handle. Please explain the 90% that I'm missing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, nucci said:

Like what? The players don't have to worry about anything except play football. Everything is done for them. Equipment and uniforms packed, charter flight so no waiting at the gate and boarding by zones. Bus meets them upon arrival and takes them to a nice hotel. Free meals. Now the workers for the team have some extra work to do but nothing they can't handle. Please explain the 90% that I'm missing. 

I think some fans think these players are old. They’re mostly young kids in their early twenties. Believe me, these guys are excited about getting to go somewhere that most have never been. We did all kinds of crazy stuff at that age. For most of these guys it’s like a field trip at school and they get to bring their families, breaking up the day to day routine of a LONG season. And London isn’t some third world hell hole. It’s a super fun place to visit. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

Disagree completely with this.  

Bills have to travel and deal with the time change, for a "home game". 

Instead of playing a team also dealing with that.. for the first time... that's now not the case. 

It's barely more than the flight to the west coast.  Relax, Francis.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Suffice to say that the people who actually do this stuff FOR A LIVING think it's a huge deal with logistics and preparation.

What you think is really irrelevant 

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I still have bad memories of the EJ Manuel Bills/Jags game at 9 am on the yahoo stream, which buffered like crazy. One of the worst viewing experiences of my life.

Worse than trying to get the Playboy Channel as a kid? Oh, THAT must have been horrible! 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

For the Jaguars, this will be the second of two-straight games played in London. The League wanted them rested to provide them with an advantage over the Bills.  I am disappointed this is an AFC clash that could have playoff-seeding implications; I was hoping for an NFC opponent; but at least it looks like all the international games will be AFC tilts.

Yes, you beat me to it.   I just read the NFL Press Release.   “In a multi billion dollar industry that sells only competition, in the guise of geography, branding and allegiance dependent upon fair competition, we have decided to tilt the scales against one or our better brands in a global showcase game.   While the clear thinking, rational and logical will call this ridiculous, we believe there are enough “the moon landing was staged” people in the marketplace that this is a net positive NPV decision.”   

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

Worse than trying to get the Playboy Channel as a kid? Oh, THAT must have been horrible! 

I still wear glasses.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Up until just a couple of years ago the Bills had eight home games. This year they’ll have…yep…eight home games. 

My gosh what a bunch of whiners! Not sure why people want be such Debbie Downers. I literally guarantee you that the players and the entire organization are going to have fun with this. 

very very true, however the Dolphins and the Jets have 9 home games and if I remember correctly, they're in the same division as the Bills. Sounds like an advantage for them.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, frostbitmic said:

very very true, however the Dolphins and the Jets have 9 home games and if I remember correctly, they're in the same division as the Bills. Sounds like an advantage for them.

Never forget: The New York Jets have zero home games. They play in an entirely different state. 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

The NFL has gone from a pizza, wings, beer league to a quiche, waffles, mimosa league.

In Hawaii, this game will start at 4:30 in the morning.

They do not eat quiche in Hawaii. 😉 Spam and eggs, maybe but not quiche.

Vegas will see this as at least a 3 point advantage, perhaps 4 points. I would make the early line on this Buffalo -2.5. They adjust the spread on a east coast to west coast tilt. It matters a decent amount that the Jags will already have been there a for the prior game. I hope the team can overcome it. It's a good Jaguars team. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, nucci said:

the euro tax filings are going to be a real problem 

21 minutes ago, nucci said:

It just shows the NFL hates Buffalo and the Bills. How do they expect this team to fly all the way to London and play a football game? It's never been done before.

Fly? I've heard Goodell is going to make them row. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Gotta love the bills losing a home game

Awesome. 

League just loves making things as difficult as possible. At KC, At CIN, At PHi, and one less home game. 

The Bills have lost more home games to Mother Nature than they have to Europe. 

• Like (+1) 1

The last time we played them, the Jags won at home for the first time in two years by beating us 9-6 in an epic battle of the Josh Allens. 

With Urban Meyer at the helm, Josh Allen was the leading passer (264 yards), tackler (8), interceptor (2) and second-highest rusher (50 yards).

The wrong Josh Allen won.

I fully expect the right one to win in London this year. 

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why are they taking a potential "good weather weekend" away from BFLo!

***** that London noise. Why can't this be later in season! 

I don't like it one bit...

We’ll put you down as a ‘no’ on this one. Got it! 

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You guys will say the same thing my wife says to me when I say: "I will stay outta your hair."

Her reply: "My hair thanks YOU!"

😏

I trust you know this is all in good fun. In life you have to pick things to get upset about. The Bills playing a game overseas twice a decade is way, way, way down on my list. And I’ll easily trade it for adding back that fourth preseason game we suffered through every year. 

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I trust you know this is all in good fun. In life you have to pick things to get upset about. The Bills playing a game overseas twice a decade is way, way, way down on my list. And I’ll easily trade it for adding back that fourth preseason game we suffered through every year. 

Not when $$$ is involved.  Give us  a premium back then. Even if it is twice a decade.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They are taking advantage of the fans and profiting. 

When PSLs kick... Give cash directly back. 

So now we’ve veered into the NFL being a business and not some sort of local community nonprofit recreation league? I thought everyone already knew that….but I guess I was wrong. 

45 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So now we’ve veered into the NFL being a business and not some sort of local community nonprofit recreation league? I thought everyone already knew that….but I guess I was wrong. 

We are cool for this year.

It's all the same. They are building an open air stadium and taking potential good weather games away and profiting. The act is getting old. At least give the paying home patrons a reach around. Not a home December game. 

I am not necessarily pro-dome... But do this EuroTrash marketing in November and December, not early October!

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We are cool for this year.

It's all the same. They are building an open air stadium and taking potential good weather games away and profiting. The act is getting old. At least give the paying home patrons a reach around. Not a home December game. 

I am not necessarily pro-dome... But do this EuroTrash marketing in November and December, not early October!

I understand your concern but neither the world (nor the NFL) revolves around the Buffalo Bills home schedule. I believe they like to get these Europe games played BEFORE weather and travel become issues, and BEFORE the games become more critical later in the season. And finally obviously BEFORE holiday travel conflicts get in the way for fans. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.