Matt Araiza

SCBills

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

He has not played meaningful football since 2021. 

And the other punter off the street have played in meaningful games? Would would you rather have? Come on. A punter can easily stay in shape and kick balls... its not like any other position in the NFL.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Kmart128 said:

And the other punter off the street have played in meaningful games? Would would you rather have? Come on. A punter can easily stay in shape and kick balls... its not like any other position in the NFL.

And any punter that has played meaningful games this year got cut for being bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Why not... he is the only Punter out that that has been coached by Smiley, the only punter that has caught snaps from reid Ferguson, and only punter that has held for Tyler Bass. At this point in the season you want familiarity... bringing in any one else could potentially cost us a game if they miss catch a snap.

There is a guy who has been with this team in the past and was cut due to false claims. This would be perfect situation to get him back in the fold. 

Wow. Excellent points. But you are incorrect. Matt Haack is out there as well. Not who I would want but you really made a strong case for him inadvertently.

1 minute ago, Kmart128 said:

Id rather have a punter who's played in the NFL - EVER.  Whos played in a cold weather game - EVER.  Who has held for a field goal in a game - EVER.  

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Id rather have a punter who's played in the NFL - EVER.  Whos played in a cold weather game - EVER.  Who has held for a field goal in a game - EVER.  

You want a guy who:

- won't fumble a snap

- will get the kick off on time

- will be generally adequate: sufficient hang time to prevent a big return, etc.

Anything else is a bonus.

Sometimes "just good enough" is good enough. There are guys out there who've punted a lot in the NFL, who've stayed in punting shape, who are waiting by the phone .... Sam Martin was one of those guys when the Araiza thing blew up.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I'd say you want a trusted old hand even more. We've seen lots of veteran free agent signed-off-the-street punters and FG kickers come in with a couple days of practice and perform decently the very next Sunday.

Agreed.  As much as I think Araiza deserves another chance, now is not the time.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, Brand J said:

Araiza has at least held for FGs throughout training camp, no other punter has with this unit. 

That was 18 months ago.  Someone want to bet the Bills playoff life on that?

Edited by FLFan

10 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Agreed.  As much as I think Araiza deserves another chance, now is not the time.  

It's hard for a QB to learn a new system in a couple practices. It's hard for an O lineman to learn a team-specific blocking scheme, or a WR to learn a team-specific route tree, or a DB to learn team-specific coverages.

But every NFL team does exactly the same thing on punts and FG attempts. Not that big a deal for an experienced hand (err, foot)

9 minutes ago, FLFan said:

That was 18 months ago.  Someone want to bet the Bills playoff life on that?

Thats what it comes down to. Outside of the whole rape allegations he just does not have the experience to step onto a team in the playoffs. 

16 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Probably true. Araiza may be a talented punter but he’s never punted in an NFL game and hasn’t punted in any game in more than two years.  This is the playoffs and weather conditions won’t be ideal.  There are experienced punters on the street who can fill in.  Hell, we signed Martin off the street and he did just fine.

• Like (+1) 1

I’d be down for Matt, but given he has no actual NFL experience, this feels like an off season type move not a playoff run move where they may want someone they know better what they will be getting and that they have experience at this level.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's hard for a QB to learn a new system in a couple practices. It's hard for an O lineman to learn a team-specific blocking scheme, or a WR to learn a team-specific route tree, or a DB to learn team-specific coverages.

But every NFL team does exactly the same thing on punts and FG attempts. Not that big a deal for an experienced hand (err, foot)

Understood.   And it could work out.  

But I'd be more comfortable in the playoffs with a punter who's played in the NFL before (both as a punter and a holder) and has done so recently.

But Araiza does know how to hold and can kick the snot out of a ball.  

If we want someone that played recently Matt Haack was cut by the Browns a few weeks back. In the very least he has taken snaps from Ferguson and knows the winds of Highmark stadium, he might be a good short term answer if Martin can't play. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

He's a free agent and available.  We can and might sign him tomorrow.

We  can go after any player not under K right now; we can also sign any off another team's practice squad as long as his team is out of playoffs.

I'd like to see a link as corroboration for this.  Generally, contracts normally expire March first, so even if Bojorquez has played his final game for Cleveland, the Bills would not be able to sign him until well after the Super Bowl.  Before I believe anything differently, someone would have to show me why and how Bojorquez would be available.  On the other hand Araiza would be a quick easy fix.  The question would be, has Araiza done anything to address his shortcomings as a punter.  Hang time has been an issue for Araiza.  He's got great distance on his punts, but sometimes the altitude is not very good.  It's also said that in college, he gave no consideration to pinning opponents inside the 20 on shorter punts where that was a possibility.  I would hope that he's been working on those things since the sexual misconduct allegations torpedoed his start in the league.  

4 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Why not... he is the only Punter out that that has been coached by Smiley, the only punter that has caught snaps from reid Ferguson, and only punter that has held for Tyler Bass. At this point in the season you want familiarity... bringing in any one else could potentially cost us a game if they miss catch a snap.

There is a guy who has been with this team in the past and was cut due to false claims. This would be perfect situation to get him back in the fold. 

False.

Matt Haack was recently made a Free Agent. He has actual experience on Sunday's and has more of a rapport with everyone you mentioned than Araiza does.

It'll be Haack, not Araiza, if Martin can't go this week. It's not even a question, save for Araiza fanatics that just want to will it to to happen.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.