Five big AFCE questions

BillsFan619

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

i mean they almost beat us in the playoffs at home last year

I think we do need to put that game in perspective.  We were two drops(Knox and Shakir) late in the first half that would have turned that game into a rout. Not taking anything away from the Fins that gutted it out with a third string qb

2 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Would love your answers to these, Mafia.

Here are the five questions the article asks:

1. How does Rodgers change the balance of power in the division?
2. Is this now the most QB-rich division in the league?
3. Which QB is surrounded by the best talent?

4. Which team has the best defense to shut down an elite QB?

5. Which team helped itself the most in the draft?

Here’s the original article if you’d like to read it:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36941173/aaron-rodgers-nfl-draft-impact-afc-east-2023

1. Rodgers makes it harder to win the division, shifting the balance of the power though, I don’t know if I’d go that far. 

2. I think the AFC North is a grinder. 

3. Tua. Two sub 4.30 WRs. Imagine Josh with Tyreek Hill and Waddle. Bills and Jets are right behind the Dolphins. Bills have a better offensive line, and a deeper backfield. Jets have a 5-6 deep NFL WR group. 

4. Jets most likely have the best defense in the division.

5. Hard to say the Patriots with how little offense they drafted. Probably down to the Bills and Jets. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think Kincaid and Torrence will help more than any other rookies in the AFC East.

I think the Jets have the most talent surrounding QB in the AFC East. Bills probably a close 3rd behind Miami. 

Rodgers can still play but the end comes quickly for QBs. We’ll just have to wait and see if his 12 INTs last year was the end coming or just a product of bad WRs.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

38 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Pretty much this. But then I remember they beat us last year with Zack Wilson. Man, the regression the Bills had from 21 to 22 was a real thing. We wernt right last year regardless of circumstances, coaching, injury, etc. Hope they can fix that. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, JMM said:

I think we do need to put that game in perspective.  We were two drops(Knox and Shakir) late in the first half that would have turned that game into a rout. Not taking anything away from the Fins that gutted it out with a third string qb

Iirc they had some big drops too

Either hill or waddle early that would have gone for 6 

It really boils down to this, will Buffalo learn from its last two years.  How they have failed and how they have been exposed.  The Jets have made up a ton of ground going into this 2023 season.

Buffalo has been exposed by teams that can get rid of the ball quickly and complete passes in the 10 to 25 yd window.  Rodgers and Tua both excel at this.  Even Cinci did it to us too, in the suspended game and in the playoffs.  We got shredded with the 10 to 20 yard passing by Burrow.

I can't tell you how many times in the last two years that this team has failed to force the team off the field with 3rd and 8 to go.  No Quarterback pressure at all on the opposing teams QB in these situations.  The Jets did get teams off the field in these situations.

We have had so many blown coverages and piss poor tackling. it was unreal how bad our D played in these situations.  That is one reason I am so glad Tremaine is gone.  He made tackles but he was liability sometimes on tackles when they absolutely had to be made. To many missed tackles by him and the rest of the secondary.

Our offense is no longer the the dominant or elite in this division anymore.  Kincaid is a plus but we can't even utilize the TE we already shell out 14 Million a year for.

Rodgers is going to make a huge difference on that Jets team.  Anyone saying anything else to the contrary, is delusional.

The Jets D is better than our D, and they had a better draft.  Their head coach is a better Defensive coach than McD is.   Also McD is now having to perform 2 coaching functions when he could barely get the head coaching part of the game figured out.

We do not have the best OC in this division and it showed last year.  Regardless if it was just year 1 with Dorsey, the play calling last year was horrendous. 

Josh Allen has to get his head out of his butt.  There were games that he played well and then there were games that he played like complete crap.

He missed to many open receivers because he was constantly trying to push the ball up the field and it was not the best option when the game film was broken down and reviewed. His interceptions are a liability and this team has not improved enough to overcome these mistakes again this year.

We completely under utilized our TE and RB's in the short game.  Josh missed throws, under-thown, over-thrown, thrown behind the receiver.  It happened in every single game and you did not need to be a coach to see how bad the passes were even on tv.  When you would rewind the footage and watch it again, if it were not for some unreal catches by Digg's, Knox and Davis,  Josh would have had even more Int's than he totaled last year..

He is not going to get better unless Dorsey and him can utilize the weapons the team currently has in this roster.

Digg's can not be the only goto option anymore.  It is yet to be seen if this rift between him and Josh is something to worry about or its old news.

I can only hope that Tua does not have a year where he gets "Grade A" pass protection.  Not to state the obvious, but when this guy has time to throw the ball he is as accurate as anyone in the league.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Vomit 1

5 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36941173/aaron-rodgers-nfl-draft-impact-afc-east-2023

1.  Jests slightly better, won't beat us.

2.  Probably.  AFCW is possible if Russ returns to form.

3.  A A Ron, on paper.

4.  Jests, on paper.

5.  Jests.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Dolphins are not a threat because Tua will never make it through an entire season. He will miss 4-5+ games every year he is in the league, which has been consistent throughout his pro and college career. The last time he played an entire season was in high school.

And it may get to the point he will cash in whathe has earned and retire to stop the cycle of injury/rehab just like Andrew Luck. Tua seems like a good guy not a jerk like Watson.  I would be glad to see Tua walk away ìf he keeps getting hurt.

Whereas I don't care if Watson gets hurt and has to call it a career.  And I'd laugh knowing Browns fully guaranteed the contract.  In fact my opinion on Watsons character,  is I expect him to have constant injuries that require massage therapy.  

Edited by AuntieEm

56 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

It really boils down will Buffalo learn from its last two years and how they have failed and how they have been exposed.  Jets have made up a ton of ground going into this 2023 season.

Buffalo has been exposed by teams that can get rid of the ball quickly and complete passes in the 10 to 25 yd window.  Rodgers and Tua both excels at this.

I can't tell you home many times in the last two years that this team has failed to force the team off the field with 3rd and 8 to go.  No Quarterback pressure at all on the opposing teams QB in these situations.  The Jets did get teams off the field in these situations.

We have had so many blown coverages and piss poor tackling. it was really unreal how bad our D played in these situations.  That is one reason I am so glad Tremaine is gone.  He made tackles but he was liability sometimes on tackles when they absolutely had to be made. To many missed tackles by him and the rest of the secondary.

Our offense is no longer the the dominant or elite in this division anymore.  Kincaid is a plus but we can't even utilize the TE we already shell out 14 Million a year for.

Rodgers is going to make a huge difference on that Jets team.  Anyone saying anything else to the contrary is delusional.

The Jets D is better than our D, and they had a better draft.  Their head coach is a better Defensive coach than McD is.   Also McD is now having to perform 2 coaching functions when he could barely get the head coaching part of the game figured out.

We do not have the best OC in this division and it showed last year.  Regardless if it was just year 1 with Dorsey, the play calling last year was horrendous. 

Josh Allen has to get his head out of his butt.  There were games that he played well and then there were games that he played like complete crap.

He missed to many open receivers because he was constantly trying to push the ball up the field and it was not the best option when the game film was broken down and reviewed. His interceptions are a liability and this team is not improved enough to overcome these mistakes again this year.

We completely under utilized our TE and RB's in the short game.  Josh missed throws, under-thown, over-thrown, thrown behind the receiver.  It happened in  every single game and you did not need to be a coach to see how bad the passes were even on tv.  When you would rewind the footage and watched it again, if it were not for some unreal catches by Digg's, Knox and Davis,  Josh would have had even more Int's than he totaled last year..

He is not going to get better unless he and Dorsey can utilize the weapons the team currently has in this roster.

Digg's can not be the only goto option anymore.  It is yet to be seen if this rift between him and Josh is something to worry about or its old news.

I can only hope that Tua does not have a year where he gets "Grade A" pass protection.  Not to state the obvious, but when this guy has time to throw the ball he is as accurate as anyone in the league.

Adam Sandler GIF by IFC

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Bills have to beat the Chiefs and Bengals in the playoffs. Does it matter if we win AFC East? I don't think it does. Wouldn't mind seeing them coast into the playoffs and keep everyone healthy for a change. Regular season wins mean nothing. We beat KC every year in the regular season and nobody cares

Are the Bills a lock to make the playoffs? 

4 hours ago, Toyo321 said:

It really boils down will Buffalo learn from its last two years and how they have failed and how they have been exposed.  Jets have made up a ton of ground going into this 2023 season.

Buffalo has been exposed by teams that can get rid of the ball quickly and complete passes in the 10 to 25 yd window.  Rodgers and Tua both excels at this.

I can't tell you home many times in the last two years that this team has failed to force the team off the field with 3rd and 8 to go.  No Quarterback pressure at all on the opposing teams QB in these situations.  The Jets did get teams off the field in these situations.

We have had so many blown coverages and piss poor tackling. it was really unreal how bad our D played in these situations.  That is one reason I am so glad Tremaine is gone.  He made tackles but he was liability sometimes on tackles when they absolutely had to be made. To many missed tackles by him and the rest of the secondary.

Rodgers is going to make a huge difference on that Jets team.  Anyone saying anything else to the contrary is delusional.

He missed to many open receivers because he was constantly trying to push the ball up the field and it was not the best option when the game film was broken down and reviewed. His interceptions are a liability and this team is not improved enough to overcome these mistakes again this year.

We completely under utilized our TE and RB's in the short game.  Josh missed throws, under-thown, over-thrown, thrown behind the receiver.  It happened in  every single game and you did not need to be a coach to see how bad the passes were even on tv.  When you would rewind the footage and watched it again, if it were not for some unreal catches by Digg's, Knox and Davis,  Josh would have had even more Int's than he totaled last year..

He is not going to get better unless he and Dorsey can utilize the weapons the team currently has in this roster.

Sadly, I agree with your post. There are more questions than answers with this team. 

I can start to feel the Bills sliding back while the Jets and Miami are moving forward. 

The Jets defense is legitimate and last year all they really lacked was a QB. Add Rodgers and that might be the piece needed to overtake the Bills.

A healthy Tua might also put the Dolphins ahead of the Bills. Their Oline still has question marks but so does the Bills defensive pass rush. I'm not exactly thrilled with running back Boogie and AJ. Who knows what Von the Bills get and how much he plays. My head still can't get over the Bills play vs 3 Cinci Oline backups. 

Allen has to play smarter and Dorsey has to improve. 

Realistically, I can see the Bills finishing 1st to 3rd in the division. I think there's very little seperation between the 3 teams. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

My totally unbiased answers:

1. How does Rodgers change the balance of power in the division? .... NO! the Bills are still #1
2. Is this now the most QB-rich division in the league? ..... The Bills' #17 carries this by himself!
3. Which QB is surrounded by the best talent? ..... Bills!

4. Which team has the best defense to shut down an elite QB? ..... Bills!

5. Which team helped itself the most in the draft? .... Bills!

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Dolphins are a threat for sure

just not sure about how sustainable they are...both offense and defense are kind of boom or bust imo. Even last year when they were putting up those big numbers they seemed inconsistent w some ridiculous stretches of big plays

Don't forget they hired Fangio.  This is a big deal.  Miami will be very tough when Tua is healthy.  Heck, they nearly beat us with a third string QB.

17 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

1. Will the Bills win the division?

2. If so by how many games?

3. top seed?

QB rich— no— it’s Allen and a bunch of chew toys

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.